2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS- 52%
OOS-31%

Wondering where you got these numbers from.
I'm sure acceptance rate is higher than matriculation rate which is as follows:

IS - 41.4% (910 verified apps/ 485 interviewed/ 201 matriculated)
OOS - 10.5% (3789 / 351 / 37)

(Source: MSAR)

Members don't see this ad.

Today is Week 6 for me... so nervous.

The interview was probably the most fun one I've had but also the longest. I was so tired after the whole day was over. Didn't help that there was a snow storm the day I was flying in...!

Is UMN done with sending out interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is UMN done with sending out interviews?
Am assuming not. I got mine in mid Dec and there were 6 interview dates open in January. They couldnt have filled them all up already. I would give them a call, they are really nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted via email. OOS. Interviewed mid-late November.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious, hopeful?..... My dad just got notification of an ups letter/package being mailed from Minneapolis but not aware of anything he ordered, etc.... Long shot but maybe they send out something at same time as sending an acceptance?

Has anyone received an interview invite this month? Submitted primary app mid October and secondary 10/30, still no word. Starting to lose hope and feeling like I’m just waiting for an R and won’t get an II.

Has anyone received an interview invite this month? Submitted primary app mid October and secondary 10/30, still no word. Starting to lose hope and feeling like I’m just waiting for an R and won’t get an II.

Submitted primary mid July ,, secondary late-August and still nothing if that makes you feel better :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wondering where you got these numbers from.
I'm sure acceptance rate is higher than matriculation rate which is as follows:

IS - 41.4% (910 verified apps/ 485 interviewed/ 201 matriculated)
OOS - 10.5% (3789 / 351 / 37)

(Source: MSAR)
My stats are from the USNWR

Overwhelmingly excited to interview here in a few days! Any general advice for the interview day? I know the chances are slim for me as an OOS candidate, but I genuinely would pick this school over any other.

Overwhelmingly excited to interview here in a few days! Any general advice for the interview day? I know the chances are slim for me as an OOS candidate, but I genuinely would pick this school over any other.
Congrats on the II! Just be yourself and have a good time. Talk with the other interviewees. The MMI format is honestly more enjoyable than the traditional interview format, and Minnesota was the best interview experience I had out of my ~6 interviews. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific q's.

I am OOS as well and feel the same way! Love the school and the city, or should I say cities (lol). My biggest piece of advice is to be prepared to talk a lot about yourself and experiences. Know your application well, not that you will be asked about it directly, but you can reflect on your experiences and apply them to the questions asked. Be prepared to be asked questions that will slightly throw you off. I felt some of my MMI questions were very unique and interesting. You will have plenty of time to prepare right before you enter the interview room. Additionally, I would really take advantage of the 20 minute session to start your interview. Tell your story, make it fun, get to know your interviewer (briefly), and get relaxed. There were times where I felt some of the other interviewees were overly nervous or felt very personally in the moment; I made sure to bring a sense of relief and tranquility to everyone haha. I kept being very encouraging while going through the MMIs, as in cheering people on during the transitions. I really enjoyed getting to know the fellow interviewees and talking with the admissions staff. Overall, it is a long day but can be super fun if you are positive, yourself, and invested.

Curious, hopeful?..... My dad just got notification of an ups letter/package being mailed from Minneapolis but not aware of anything he ordered, etc.... Long shot but maybe they send out something at same time as sending an acceptance?
Maybe so! Let us know if that’s what it is!

Does anyone know the best way to provide application updates (pre-II)? The application portal is very basic and provides no info on this that I can tell, so I'm wondering if emailing admissions would be the best way?

Does anyone know the best way to provide application updates (pre-II)? The application portal is very basic and provides no info on this that I can tell, so I'm wondering if emailing admissions would be the best way?
They don't accept updates unless you've been offered an interview! If you've gotten an II, they email you instructions on how to submit an update, and they'll accept them up until the day of your interview.

They don't accept updates unless you've been offered an interview! If you've gotten an II, they email you instructions on how to submit an update, and they'll accept them up until the day of your interview.
Thanks for the information and the fast reply!

Any tips for the interview would be greatly appreciated! First MMI interview.

Any tips for the interview would be greatly appreciated! First MMI interview.

I posted this earlier, but I will reply again:

My biggest piece of advice is to be prepared to talk a lot about yourself and experiences. Know your application well, not that you will be asked about it directly, but you can reflect on your experiences and apply them to the questions asked. Be prepared to be asked questions that will slightly throw you off. I felt some of my MMI questions were very unique and interesting. You will have plenty of time to prepare right before you enter the interview room. Additionally, I would really take advantage of the 20 minute session to start your interview. Tell your story, make it fun, get to know your interviewer (briefly), and get relaxed. There were times where I felt some of the other interviewees were overly nervous or felt very personally in the moment; I made sure to bring a sense of relief and tranquility to everyone haha. I kept being very encouraging while going through the MMIs, as in cheering people on during the transitions. I really enjoyed getting to know the fellow interviewees and talking with the admissions staff. Overall, it is a long day but can be super fun if you are positive, yourself, and invested.

I have a feeling early December interviewees will be getting calls sometime this week....just a hunch.

Waitlisted. IS, interviewed 11/27. Hope that helps. Y'all will hear soon! (with hopefully better news)

Waitlisted LM 74, in state. Minnesota is my dream school and only interview of 15 schools I applied to so far (all middle of the pack Midwest schools) so I’m feeling pretty down... hoping for some good news in May

Does anyone even get R or accepted? or Minnesota just waitlisted everyone due to the new rules?

This might be a silly question, but I am interviewing in a few days and don't know what kind of shoes to wear haha. I used to live in Minnesota but haven't for a few years, and I don't have any "business attire" shoes that would also be good in the snow/cold. Is this something that I have to invest in for the interview?

This might be a silly question, but I am interviewing in a few days and don't know what kind of shoes to wear haha. I used to live in Minnesota but haven't for a few years, and I don't have any "business attire" shoes that would also be good in the snow/cold. Is this something that I have to invest in for the interview?
You wont have any outdoor time during the interview so you don't have to be in snow shoes. I used uber from the hotel, and the driver dropped me off right outside the building so the only time I spent outside was when I jumped out of the hotel and into car, then into building. The building was nice and warm.
If you will be spending time outside such as walking to the campus, then by all means wear some snow shoes then change into professional dress shoes once you enter the building. There's a place to hang coats and put luggage. You've got this!

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Accepted students/current students- where are the best places for med students to live? I know housing around the U fills up quickly so I want to be proactive!

Has any late November/early December interviewees received word since Tuesday? I see in the past, they typically release numerous decisions per week, but I have seen nothing since the waitlist storm on Tuesday. This is one of two final schools I am waiting for. Was hoping the 4-6 week response timeline was accurate, I am nearing the 7th week.

Has any late November/early December interviewees received word since Tuesday? I see in the past, they typically release numerous decisions per week, but I have seen nothing since the waitlist storm on Tuesday. This is one of two final schools I am waiting for. Was hoping the 4-6 week response timeline was accurate, I am nearing the 7th week.
Early December interview and silence:eek:

Accepted students/current students- where are the best places for med students to live? I know housing around the U fills up quickly so I want to be proactive!

Not an accepted student but recently interviewed. Dinkytown and Stadium Village are definitely cheaper places to stay in. You might have to commute to get to the med school, but I think it can be done.

Accepted student who lived on campus for undergrad here. There are several neighborhood options for living near/on campus: Dinkytown, Como, Stadium Village, West Bank, St Paul/Falcon Heights, and Downtown Minneapolis. The best place will depend on what you want out of housing in med school. For me, I'd want a place that's quiet, near other students, and has fun places to study (libraries, cafes, coffee shops etc).

Imo St Paul and Falcon Heights are more ideal for graduate and medical school study. The St Paul campus is much quieter and Falcon Heights nearby is also quiet. The UMN libraries over there are also not nearly as crowded as the ones around East Bank and there are lots of cute cafes to boot (Mim's, Finish Bistro&Cafe, Colossal Cafe). Also, the Campus Connector leaves every 5 minutes from St Paul campus stops and drops you off right at Coffman Union as well as Oak street. If you live further from St Paul Campus proper in say a place in Falcon Heights, there are several bus lines that can take you to Minneapolis fast as well.

For University St Paul Housing there's the Commonwealth Terrace Coop Townhouses geared towards married/families (it's priority based, so you can get a room if single too but I hear that's very uncommon). Otherwise, there are lots of options around for houses/apartments in the area of both St Paul and Falcon Heights. I know several grad students who all rent houses out there and rave about it.

If you'd rather stick to Minneapolis this site is good for looking at options on East Bank (some are very close to Moos Tower too): UMN Off-Campus Housing | Rent College Pads

Imo anything not in dinkytown or como are good options. In my experience, dinkytown and como can be loud on weekends/game nights. Again, it's all about what you are looking for though.

I hope that helps! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Not an accepted student but recently interviewed. Dinkytown and Stadium Village are definitely cheaper places to stay in. You might have to commute to get to the med school, but I think it can be done.

They can be def cheapest options on East Bank. Though be wary, a few of those apartments don't include utilities in their rents so it can be misleading price wise. And no need to commute! Dinkytown and Stadium village are both areas that are walking distance from Moos Tower (less than 10-15 minutes depending on where exactly you stay and your walking speed). If you don't want to walk there is a light rail stop in stadium village area that takes you right outside Moos. From Dinkytown you could go to campus connector stop and ride to Coffman (in winter you can take underground tunnel system straight from Coffman to Moos too!)

It's been more than 6 weeks since my interview and I still haven't heard back. Should I reach out to them?