2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got an email yesterday that I have been waitlisted and will hear by May 15th whether I have been accepted, rejected, or placed on the alternate list. I interviewed 01/04. So here is to some more waiting!

This kind of confuses me. I am in the same boat as you, waitlisted. Does this mean that we WON'T hear until May 15th, or at any given time before May 15th we can hear back? When do acceptances, rejections, and alternate lists typically come out for those who were waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone else still holding on to hope, I spoke with admissions today and there will not be any further II sent out this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone that sent in a pre-II update ever been notified of confirmation? I sent an update about a week before my interview, and never gotten a response. Should I call admissions office to make sure they got it? I have not had a R/WL/A decision yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that sent in a pre-II update ever been notified of confirmation? I sent an update about a week before my interview, and never gotten a response. Should I call admissions office to make sure they got it? I have not had a R/WL/A decision yet.
I sent in an update the night before my interview and never got a response back. But on the interview day, they did mention having received updates from several people so I'm felt confident enough that they got it.

Stay strong everyone. I was accepted here early this cycle as a re-applicant. I got rejected 2 years back and sat out last year's cycle to try to strengthen my application. I'm IS non-traditional (mid-30s) with lousy undergrad GPA but good MCAT. I think my life experience counted for a lot this time around. Second chances are real!

This kind of confuses me. I am in the same boat as you, waitlisted. Does this mean that we WON'T hear until May 15th, or at any given time before May 15th we can hear back? When do acceptances, rejections, and alternate lists typically come out for those who were waitlisted?

Reading past threads it seems like pretty much anyone who interviews in January or later is giving that "waitlist - hear by May 15" designation (it's more like a deferral than a waitlist). I think technically we could hear anytime before May 15, but last year it was the first week in May that previously waitlisted people were given decisions. Many were directly accepted at that point by phone call. After that wave of WL - Accepts, a "ranked alternate" list will come out. You'll get a number signifying your place in line & can be accepted at any point up until classes begin in the fall. Previously anywhere from 10-40 people have been accepted off the ranked alternate list!

Reactions: 1 users
I want to say that UMN was pass/fail for years 1 and 2 but I'm seeing conflicting info about this from the website...anyone remember from their interview day?

I interviewed in early January, so I believe that my decision will come back within the next couple weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to hear back from a December 14th interview...

me, patiently waiting

YVFKGme.jpg

me, patiently waiting

YVFKGme.jpg
Hopefully they tell you soon - fingers crossed! Med school applications can seriously take a toll on emotions. Stay strong

Hopefully they tell you soon - fingers crossed! Med school applications can seriously take a toll on emotions. Stay strong

This was a joke and I'm actually doing decent, but thanks so much for this comment, it was very sweet! :)

This was a joke and I'm actually doing decent, but thanks so much for this comment, it was very sweet! :)
I totally get it was a joke! haha but still honestly it's annoying waiting...

Is anyone going to second look? Debating whether it will be worth it to take time off work to go.

Last edited:
Ahh.. just got a rejection email near 11 PM EST. Interviewed January 15, OOS. Good luck to everyone else still in the running! You got this!

WL via email. Interviewed early Jan. LM 78 OOS.

Is anyone going to second look? I live in Mpls already so I'm debating whether it will be worth it to take the day off work to go.
I'll be there and I'm coming from Grand Forks! I figured it'd be pretty neat to see the campus on a day that isn't one of the most stressful of my life (ie: interview day). Hope to see some of you there!

They finally sent me my official pre-II R! Lol I totally forgot I hadn't gotten it yet. It was SUPER long and SUPER polite. Congrats and good luck everyone!

Does anyone have any idea when we hear about the waitlist? The website says "beginning in April, one of 3 things will happen: 1) you will be accepted off of the waitlist, 2) you will be placed on the ranked alternate list, 3) you will be released from the waitlist." I have not found anything from previous years that movement from the waitlist occurs before May, which is different than what the website suggests.

Got rejected via email. Pretty shocked, I assumed everyone stayed on the WL until May. IS with LM 75 and this was my only interview. Hopefully next year goes better. :(

Last edited:
Based on how things have been going here lately and last year’s thread, it seems like a January interview results in either a waitlist or a rejection Nervously waiting to find out which one I’ll get.

Had the polar vortex phone interview end of january still silence here.
I also had the phone interview and haven't heard anything. I wonder how they compared our MMIs to others that were conducted in person, with multiple interviewers as intended.

For those who came to the second look weekend today, how was your experience and did the admin say anything related to admissions?

I loved second look!! They did not say anything related to admissions beyond congratulations. They focused much more on selling the school to those still deciding. I guess one piece of information that you might find valuable is that Financial aid packages are likely to arrive in the mailbox on April 13th/14th so maybe people will start to make decisions then? Hope that helps @tnhop94

Edit: More info

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I guess now besides waiting, there's nothing else I can do

Attended second look day and it was really fun, everyone was really cool. I will say that I met quite a few people that were still not 100% committed to the U/had a lot of acceptances, so waitlist people don't give up hope at all!

Attended second look day and it was really fun, everyone was really cool. I will say that I met quite a few people that were still not 100% committed to the U/had a lot of acceptances, so waitlist people don't give up hope at all!
Did you know how many people were at the second look?

Just got rejected post II, had the phone interview OOS. Was hoping for a waitlist spot :(

I'm OOS and have been on the waitlist since mid October, interviewed in mid September. If possible, I would like to update them on all the things I've been doing since then as well as show I am still interested and plan enroll if accepted. Does anyone know if they are receptive to a LOI this late in the game?

I'm OOS and have been on the waitlist since mid October, interviewed in mid September. If possible, I would like to update them on all the things I've been doing since then as well as show I am still interested and plan enroll if accepted. Does anyone know if they are receptive to a LOI this late in the game?
Same here but I don’t think we can do anything at this point. I called the orther day and the lady in the phone said they don’t accept update and normally the adcom would normally go deep into the waitlist. So wish us all the best!

Withdrew acceptance. In state applicant.
Good luck to you all and I will see you on the other-side :)

Already surpassed the 8-week post-interview mark for a February interview and still no news here ... anyone else?