2019-2020 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s been an hour since II’s started and I still haven’t heard back... should I take this as a soft R? #sunscreen

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 30 users
It’s been an hour since II’s started and I still haven’t heard back... should I take this as a soft R? #sunscreen
it's been an hour, not a month! keep your head up buddy...whether its emory or another school you're going somewhere

Reactions: 2 users
it's been an hour, not a month! keep your head up buddy...whether its emory or another school you're going somewhere
Considering the person's profile picture, I think it's safe to say he/she was joking...

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t get me wrong—SDN really helps me to stay informed through this process—but man! Can I just say how annoying the error of under-representation is?? Here I am thinking “gee, there was only one II sent out today! I’m fine, I’m fine!” When in reality, I would probably be super depressed to discover just how many students received an II today! Ha.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys I'm filling out this secondary, and wondering if you picked and chose which of the 8 (out of 20) Bio credits to be used for the Bio section? Did you pick the ones with the highest grade? the highest level one? would appreciate any insight

Hey guys I'm filling out this secondary, and wondering if you picked and chose which of the 8 (out of 20) Bio credits to be used for the Bio section? Did you pick the ones with the highest grade? the highest level one? would appreciate any insight
i chose the ones that are typically most required or recommended...i.e. genetics, molecular bio, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
i chose the ones that are typically most required or recommended...i.e. genetics, molecular bio, etc.
I just chose my two basic elementary courses for Biology (aka a Bio 1 and a Bio 2 course, both with labs). I think that's what it's asking for on the secondary

I just chose my two basic elementary courses for Biology (aka a Bio 1 and a Bio 2 course, both with labs). I think that's what it's asking for on the secondary
I picked upper level bio courses that I did well in since it didn’t specify lol
This is why I hate having to enter coursework requirements on secondaries! I never know what to put! haha

Reactions: 3 users
II just now! Complete pretty early like mid july

When do they typically give out acceptances/do we have to commit to enroll within 2 weeks if accepted or can we wait until march/april like all other schools?

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)

When do they typically give out acceptances/do we have to commit to enroll within 2 weeks if accepted or can we wait until march/april like all other schools?
wait jesus christ 21/27 congrats dude!!!

Reactions: 9 users

OOS or IS? What are the dates available to interview?
I was wondering about that also regarding the time frame to give the answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having trouble with the overnight options link in the interview tab?
yes! Came to this thread to see if anyone was having issues as well. The screen won't load at all for me.

I haven’t received II yet (I know it’s still early) and I was curious if it would be worth posting an update to my secondary yet. I recently got accepted to be presenting author on my lab’s research at a national conference, but the conference is in January. Seems maybe a bit early to post this update so I wanted another opinion.

I haven’t received II yet (I know it’s still early) and I was curious if it would be worth posting an update to my secondary yet. I recently got accepted to be presenting author on my lab’s research at a national conference, but the conference is in January. Seems maybe a bit early to post this update so I wanted another opinion.

If you haven't presented yet, then it is not official and you can't cite it, right? That is what I have heard.

found out my EDP application didn't go my way so i took a long shot and submitted a few primaries. What do y'all think my chances are at this point?
I'm a business major, IS, 511, cgpa and sgpa in mid 3.8's, pretty decent ec's
Should I be hopeful or just kiss my chances at a secondary goodbye

If you haven't presented yet, then it is not official and you can't cite it, right? That is what I have heard.
Yeah I wasn’t sure on that. I have the confirmation from the conference which shows the abstract, and me listed as the presenting author, but I’m not sure how I would cite it. I could include this but Emory only allows text updates on their secondary.

Except for a few scattered IIs, nothing serious yet?
Y'all think they'll start next week mass IIs?
Anyone heard anything lately?

Reactions: 4 users
Any MD/PhD news yet? I know on their website, they said they don't typically start sending out invites for their November date till October, but just checking :)

OOS or IS? What are the dates available to interview?
I was wondering about that also regarding the time frame to give the answer.
I don't think IS or OOS matters much for private schools unless they have some formal agreement with a state...

They are going to have to have a quick turnaround with interview evaluations to be able to offer acceptances by October 15th... :confused:
Isn't that just the first date they CAN send out acceptances to the regular pool? I don't think they're required to? You're probably right, though - the people with the first few interviews will probably hear pretty quickly.

I don't think IS or OOS matters much for private schools unless they have some formal agreement with a state...

It no doubt matters less with private schools, but generally in-state students do get more IIs at private schools than OOS.

Last year Emory interviewed 18% of IS applicants and 6.2% of OOS applicants. So a pretty notable difference IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
It no doubt matters less with private schools, but generally in-state students do get more IIs at private schools than OOS.

Last year Emory interviewed 18% of IS applicants and 6.2% of OOS applicants. So a pretty notable difference IMO.
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out!

I have 8.3% OOS and 26% IS who applied that got interviews, but 49% of OOS interviewees were accepted vs. 36% of IS. That's 4% of OOS applicants got accepted vs. 9% of IS applicants who got accepted.

I have 8.3% OOS and 26% IS who applied that got interviews, but 49% of OOS interviewees were accepted vs. 36% of IS. That's 4% of OOS applicants got accepted vs. 9% of IS applicants who got accepted.

Hmm, you're getting this from MSAR?

Looking at it now:
140/772 IS applicants interviewed = 18.13%
512/8215 OOS applicants interviewed =6.23%

Are your stats from the previous year or something?

Also, not sure where you get the acceptance data though cause it's not on MSAR but I know some schools release those stats?

EDIT: Also I'm skeptical of your acceptance data cause I doubt they accepted more than 250 OOS students (49% of 512). Mind explaining your sources?

found out my EDP application didn't go my way so i took a long shot and submitted a few primaries. What do y'all think my chances are at this point?
I'm a business major, IS, 511, cgpa and sgpa in mid 3.8's, pretty decent ec's
Should I be hopeful or just kiss my chances at a secondary goodbye
From personal experience, same issue last year, they will send you secondaries but nothing may come out of them. You will need to pick instate schools that may give you a chance. Sorry.

Looking at it now:

Also, not sure where you get the acceptance data though cause it's not on MSAR but I know some schools release those stats?

EDIT: Also I'm skeptical of your acceptance data cause I doubt they accepted more than 250 OOS students (49% of 512). Mind explaining your sources?

No from US News & World Report premium. I'll get the data they report.

US News & World Report Premium:

IN state: Applied = 541, interviewed =140, accepted = 51, Enrolled = 35. 140/541 = 26%.
OOS: Applied = 6405, interviewed = 529, accepted = 259, enrolled = 101. 529/6406 = 8.3%.

Last edited:
II this morning!!! Completely forgot to post :) SO EXCITED

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
No idea why MSAR and US News is so far apart. Perhaps the ratios are valid even if the absolute values of numerator and denominator vary

Anybody know why MSAR and US News diverges this much? I read that US News gets data from the med schools, but I'd assume that MSAR does as well.

No idea why MSAR and US News is so far apart. Perhaps the ratios are valid even if the absolute values of numerator and denominator vary

Anybody know why MSAR and US News diverges this much? I read that US News gets data from the med schools, but I'd assume that MSAR does as well.
It's because MSAR reports primary applications not secondary applications while US news prob is actually using the number of completed applications.

Looking at it now:

Here is five year average data

Thank you for the above data.
It does appear also from the self reported IIs from SDN this year, that majority of IIs are out of state, unless they start with them. Do they usually?
I don’t see here mass IIs for IS people still. Actually overall, there are only a few IIs both OOS and IS. Do you think they usually wait with IIs and interviews because they give deadline after acceptance? So they wanna make sure that you are towards the end of your interview season and decided?