-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Northwestern
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes- helps if you're URM. If you get a full ride from a similarly ranked program, you can ask Feinberg to match and they generally will match (fwiw I only heard of one person getting turned down when he begged for more $$$ but his fam got cash so...).
On interview day I heard them saying only up to full tuition is given. Your saying for URM a full ride is possible?
Were there actual WLs and Rejections sent out this past Friday or only Acceptances and Deferrals?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm idk, maybe they meant that up to full tuition is given as a first-line package? If you've got another package elsewhere with a smaller COA (e.g. hella cheap in-state package at Baylor COM), they'll help you out even more, especially if URM.On interview day I heard them saying only up to full tuition is given. Your saying for URM a full ride is possible?
ButImNotARapper
Full Member
When do we hear about financial aid and scholarships? Is it too early if we've already been accepted to email and ask?Hi neurotics, I'm a first-year student at Feinberg and figured it would be helpful to have a resource on SDN to get your questions answered about the program. Congrats on all the A's- come to second look!
Ask me anything...
D
deleted994247
Does it have to be a similarly ranked program? Like what about Kaiser Permanente (as an example)? They aren't ranked at all, but there will be people with full rides.If you get a full ride from a similarly ranked program, you can ask Feinberg to match and they generally will match
Thank you for your responses Happymadness. You're saying some things that admissions officers never said outright (i.e. being URM helps for merit, "matching" depends on the rank of the school)
I was wondering if anyone has tips for increasing an accepted individual's chance for receiving a scholarship in March? I absolutely love the school and am hoping it doesn't end up being too expensive compared to other schools.
Thanks!
Thanks!
D
deleted994247
don't u have full COA at kaiser permanente? u can just use that for negotiating, no?I found this article while searching on Northwestern’s scholarship possibilities: Feinberg School of Medicine free tuition push behind rest of ‘We Will’
I didn’t feel too hopeful after reading this, but maybe someone can provide another perspective.
Grape_Vine
New Member
Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances/deferrals/waitlists etc. will be for people who interviewed in mid December and onward?
I’ll ask again, were there recent Post Interview Rejections and Wait Listed?
I seem to recall only seeing some Acceptances and Deferrals from last Friday.
Wondering what silence means.
I seem to recall only seeing some Acceptances and Deferrals from last Friday.
Wondering what silence means.
Last edited:
D
deleted972488
Pretty sure they only accept or defer until February.I’ll ask again, were their recent Post Interview Rejections and Wist Listed?
I seem to recall only seeing some Acceptances and Deferrals from last Friday.
Wondering what silence means.
Too early to email and ask. You'll hear about it in late March before Second Look.When do we hear about financial aid and scholarships? Is it too early if we've already been accepted to email and ask?
Unsure about KP, but it's always worth asking for more money. Diversity recruitment and retention is important for all programs (esp. top programs dedicated to investing in diversity). Good luck.Does it have to be a similarly ranked program? Like what about Kaiser Permanente (as an example)? They aren't ranked at all, but there will be people with full rides.
Thank you for your responses Happymadness. You're saying some things that admissions officers never said outright (i.e. being URM helps for merit, "matching" depends on the rank of the school)
If you got in early in November or something and you never sent updates or anything, that is certainly worth doing. I was accepted in November, and I sent updates (abstracts/posters/pubs) from my research gig. I don't know whether it actually helped, but it definitely didn't hurt.I was wondering if anyone has tips for increasing an accepted individual's chance for receiving a scholarship in March? I absolutely love the school and am hoping it doesn't end up being too expensive compared to other schools.
Thanks!
Free tuition is probably not happening within the next 1 or 2 years, but they're fundraising fast so who knows...I found this article while searching on Northwestern’s scholarship possibilities: Feinberg School of Medicine free tuition push behind rest of ‘We Will’
I didn’t feel too hopeful after reading this, but maybe someone can provide another perspective.
diasterdream
Full Member
II today! Last interview dates are January 28, 29 and February 4.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
diasterdream
Full Member
Nice!! When were you complete?
End of September
NW PLS SEND ME AN II. I'D DO A LOT OF THINGS
NW PLS SEND ME AN II. I'D DO A LOT OF THINGS
What type of things?
Ask and you shall probably receiveWhat type of things?
Edit: On the condition that an II subsequently follows.
FISTMCLARGEHUGE
Full Member
NW PLS SEND ME AN II. I'D DO A LOT OF THINGS
Adcoms: would you get a 3.9/520 or higher?
Me: okay I was more thinking illegal smuggling or something along those lines.
DocCirno
Full Member
I'm getting a bit worked up about my upcoming interview because I have very minimal research with no publications/ poster presentations and I know that FSM likes its research. I feel that I am worrying about nothing since I was given an interview in the first place but this is a top choice for me so I can't help being a little neurotic
DocCirno
Full Member
That's all I needed to hear my friendI have no research and got accepted
Has northwestern sent out Pre-II R’s? Sorry if it has been answered already
The hotels listed on the interview info page are all less than 5 min walk.Does anyone know if any of the nearby hotels have a shuttle (that you can take to get around the hotel)?
Yes would also appreciate tips for the interview or comments about the day overall!Does someone mind sharing any insight they have about the interviewing process here? Thanks in advance!
I think Northwestern puts on a great interview day with a extroverted associate dean of admissions who is very likeable, outgoing students, tacos for lunch(!! So tired of sandwiches) and I had 3 great interviewers. Really sell the school well and all the buildings are beautiful and contemporary in my opinion.
Sounds awesome! The 3 interviews are 1 group and 2 faculty right? Are those open or closed?I think Northwestern puts on a great interview day with a extroverted associate dean of admissions who is very likeable, outgoing students, tacos for lunch(!! So tired of sandwiches) and I had 3 great interviewers. Really sell the school well and all the buildings are beautiful and contemporary in my opinion.
ChasingMedicine
Full Member
For those that got an interview or acceptance - can you please post your STATS (cGPA, sGPA, URM or ORM). I think it would be a lot of help for those who are looking at this school as a top choice or are in the process of making a school list!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted668917
MsarFor those that got an interview or acceptance - can you please post your STATS (cGPA, sGPA, URM or ORM). I think it would be a lot of help for those who are looking at this school as a top choice or are in the process of making a school list!
Subscribe to the MSAR for 28 dollars. Give you all the stats you need to make a school list.For those that got an interview or acceptance - can you please post your STATS (cGPA, sGPA, URM or ORM). I think it would be a lot of help for those who are looking at this school as a top choice or are in the process of making a school list!
ChasingMedicine
Full Member
Subscribe to the MSAR for 28 dollars. Give you all the stats you need to make a school list.
I have that! Would you recommend applying any school I actually like as long as I’m in their range? I was hesitant at first because I was wondering how much being URM or ORM would affect chances, because my stats are within the ranges but then again I’m not sure how much that means when my ORM status is taken into account. I keep hearing about how that’s a huge factor but then again I don’t know how accurate that is so I would love any input. I’m ORM with 521 MCAT and 3.8 cGPA. My only concern is the 3.65 sGPA which is within the range but on the lower end (upward trend). Resume is solid (tons of research, leadership, and service both clinical and non clinical)! Thank you so much!!
I have that! Would you recommend applying any school I actually like as long as I’m in their range? I was hesitant at first because I was wondering how much being URM or ORM would affect chances, because my stats are within the ranges but then again I’m not sure how much that means when my ORM status is taken into account. I keep hearing about how that’s a huge factor but then again I don’t know how accurate that is so I would love any input. I’m ORM with 521 MCAT and 3.8 cGPA. My only concern is the 3.65 sGPA which is within the range but on the lower end (upward trend). Resume is solid (tons of research, leadership, and service both clinical and non clinical)! Thank you so much!!
There is plenty of threads answering this exact question.
Apply to a good amount of reach/targets/“safety” according to your stat range and don’t worry about ORM/URM for MSAR data. Just take the data as is.
I have that! Would you recommend applying any school I actually like as long as I’m in their range? I was hesitant at first because I was wondering how much being URM or ORM would affect chances, because my stats are within the ranges but then again I’m not sure how much that means when my ORM status is taken into account. I keep hearing about how that’s a huge factor but then again I don’t know how accurate that is so I would love any input. I’m ORM with 521 MCAT and 3.8 cGPA. My only concern is the 3.65 sGPA which is within the range but on the lower end (upward trend). Resume is solid (tons of research, leadership, and service both clinical and non clinical)! Thank you so much!!
Apply if you're >10th percentile for sGPA, cGPA, and MCAT. Don't apply if you're greater than 90th percentile unless you really like the school. Your stats are less important than the rest of your application for actually getting interviews unless you apply far out of range.
D
deleted688779
SDN sample size too small (and also with many possible outliers), will allow applicants to get an inaccurate view and then apply their own optimism/pessimism. Also, with T20s, stats isn’t a good indicator anyways.
D
deleted972488
Sorry to add to all of the roasting, but I would not go into this process with a top choice in mind. Apply broadly and intelligently and decide what your top choices are after the interviews. Good luck!For those that got an interview or acceptance - can you please post your STATS (cGPA, sGPA, URM or ORM). I think it would be a lot of help for those who are looking at this school as a top choice or are in the process of making a school list!
D
deleted996731
Make a post in the WAMC threadI have that! Would you recommend applying any school I actually like as long as I’m in their range? I was hesitant at first because I was wondering how much being URM or ORM would affect chances, because my stats are within the ranges but then again I’m not sure how much that means when my ORM status is taken into account. I keep hearing about how that’s a huge factor but then again I don’t know how accurate that is so I would love any input. I’m ORM with 521 MCAT and 3.8 cGPA. My only concern is the 3.65 sGPA which is within the range but on the lower end (upward trend). Resume is solid (tons of research, leadership, and service both clinical and non clinical)! Thank you so much!!
ChasingMedicine
Full Member
Thanks everyone!!
D
deleted987519
Rejected after thorough holistic review
R
Pre-II R today 🙁
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lmbo R yucky
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hopefulapplicant97
Full Member
Pre II big fat R [emoji28]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre II big fat R [emoji28]
+1 :/
Also pre-II R, submitted 7/21. GL to other folks!!
DocWithCoolSocks
Full Member
RRRRRRRRRejected
Complete in October
Complete in October
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 435K