2019-2020 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DUDE.. I GOT IN!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Congrats to everyone that got in! It seems that it's about time for me to give up on Pitt. It seemed most WL movement last year happened in March/April.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Yep i think this was a big movement. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Did you guys get emails to tell you that you got off the waitlist?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to all that got in! I'm still going to hold out hope.

Yea, an email. Not a prep email tho, just a "congrats on acceptance email". And a portal update.

Congrats to everyone that got in! It seems that it's about time for me to give up on Pitt. It seemed most WL movement last year happened in March/April.
It's so painful, I thought I wrote a fire LOI :cryi:

Reactions: 4 users
I talked to someone who got off the WL about two weeks ago. So there must have been a small wave of movement

hey since you had the inside scoop last time, do you know if there will be more waitlist movement by any chance? lol

Tbh I wish they just rejected at least some applicants outright. It kind of sucks of having hope if there isn't actually a chance of getting in
I agree. if you like out of top 100 your not getting. According MSAR they do rank, so they already know who is in the rejected pile lol

Reactions: 1 user
I saw last year like 1-2 people still got accepted after this wave. So a handful of lucky winners are left!

But yeah I agree, it's dawning on me that a lot of us may have been R'd since the very beginning haha, daaaaaamn.

Its been a pleasure boyz/galz/yinz. Since they send out an email and my chances are low by now anyway, I'll be unfollowing...but if I get an A by that glorious email, I will return!

Good luck!

I saw last year like 1-2 people still got accepted after this wave. So a handful of lucky winners are left!

But yeah I agree, it's dawning on me that a lot of us may have been R'd since the very beginning haha, daaaaaamn.

Its been a pleasure boyz/galz/yinz. Since they send out an email and my chances are low by now anyway, I'll be unfollowing...but if I get an A by that glorious email, I will return!

Good luck!
200BABCD-55E2-4907-9719-2AF85C4651D9.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck!
Honestly you have the right idea. Coming here and seeing the R slowly manifesting in front of my face is really taking its toll mentally. I think I'm going to follow suit.

Withdrew just now, hope someone on the waitlist gets the spot! As an aside, are they actually allowed to ask us where we plan to enroll instead? I feel like that violates traffic rules...

• Wow
Withdrew just now, hope someone on the waitlist gets the spot! As an aside, are they actually allowed to ask us where we plan to enroll instead? I feel like that violates traffic rules...
I wonder why they do that given that AMCAS eventually does give them a report with those details when the cycle is over. Also, as a still-waitlisted person, thanks lol

Just withdrew, good luck to everyone on the waitlist! and best of luck to everyone in their future careers :)

• Love
To the people withdrawing: Is it based on better schools or bad fin aid from Pitt?

To the people withdrawing: Is it based on better schools or bad fin aid from Pitt?
For me, it's because of the financial aid. Loved Pitt, but it would be full price in loans.

Wait why are people saying that the waitlist movement is largely done? Isn't the bulk of it around and after 4/30?

I have also heard that historically Pitt has a lot of decent WL movement. So I wouldn’t give up hope yet to people still on the WL. Seems like there will be a fair amount of movement here since people are giving up seats due to FA etc.

• Love
To people who got off the WL, any tips for sending in letters? Feel free to PM me. I would greatly appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 users
Wait why are people saying that the waitlist movement is largely done? Isn't the bulk of it around and after 4/30?
I feel like it's because of looking at older Pitt SDN threads? If the past cycles are an indication, waitlist movement could be mostly done at Pitt. :(

On the other hand, I try not to read into previous threads too much. It hasn't been that long since traffic rule changes, there's a pandemic going on, and other top schools have recently stepped-up their financial aid (NYU being tuition free, Cornell with the debt free situation), so last year's waitlist movement might not reflect this year's! I'm not giving up on Pitt or any of my other waitlisted schools until June/July!

I feel like it's because of looking at older Pitt SDN threads? If the past cycles are an indication, waitlist movement could be mostly done at Pitt. :(

On the other hand, I try not to read into previous threads too much. It hasn't been that long since traffic rule changes, there's a pandemic going on, and other top schools have recently stepped-up their financial aid (NYU being tuition free, Cornell with the debt free situation), so last year's waitlist movement might not reflect this year's! I'm not giving up on Pitt or any of my other waitlisted schools until June/July!

Just wanted to say that I’m rooting for you and wish you all the best! Hopefully we can be classmates in the fall!! :)

• Love

I also heard they interviewed 100 ppl less this time around too. Which may result in more WL movement.

Should I submit another update if I already did so a couple of months ago?

Hey, a current student here - I would strongly suggest living in Shadyside. Most of the med students and tons of other grad students live there. Try to be close to a bus line that gets you to Scaife Hall (check google maps for that). There are tons of apartments on Fifth Ave that put you on the 71B or 71D or on Centre Ave for 75 or 71C (remember public transport is free for Pitt students!). Lawrenceville and Bloomfield are great places but I don't suggest living there because it will be a real hassle to get to school, especially when you have 8 am classes.
Look on craigslist for apartment postings, even rental companies post there. Pittsburgh is a bit more old school with finding rentals, as in the websites are not super up to date. Some rental companies I suggest are Mozart Management, Kamin Realty, Lobos Management, and Walnut Capital.
Pitt will make a Facebook page in a month or so for students who committed and within that page you can easily find roommates!
I will most likely have a car at Pitt, so how viable is driving to class vs taking the bus in terms of total travel time? Which one is more popular? Also, if I have a car and am driving myself anyways, is Lawrenceville/Bloomfield still sub-optimal compared to Shadyside, or was the main issue being on a bus line? Thanks!!!

I will most likely have a car at Pitt, so how viable is driving to class vs taking the bus in terms of total travel time? Which one is more popular? Also, if I have a car and am driving myself anyways, is Lawrenceville/Bloomfield still sub-optimal compared to Shadyside, or was the main issue being on a bus line? Thanks!!!
The problem with driving to class is parking. Parking is expensive around campus (about $800 a year if you get a permit) so most people take the bus. I did have some friends that lived in the same house and split the cost of parking. In terms of travel time, driving is faster and is also more convenient. Lawrenceville is a great place to live with lots of restaurants and stuff to do. I've have friends that live/lived there and loved it. The main issue is just being on the bus line.

The problem with driving to class is parking. Parking is expensive around campus (about $800 a year if you get a permit) so most people take the bus. I did have some friends that lived in the same house and split the cost of parking. In terms of travel time, driving is faster and is also more convenient. Lawrenceville is a great place to live with lots of restaurants and stuff to do. I've have friends that live/lived there and loved it. The main issue is just being on the bus line.
Should I be worried about not being able to purchase a parking permit as a new student (i.e. are there limited spots, since this influences where I would live)? Also, what is the timeline for purchasing a permit, since I haven't yet decided 100% on Pitt? Also, earlier in the thread someone mentioned most students park at OC lot. Is that the only/best option, or are there others? Thanks so much! you've been super duper helpful :)

Should I be worried about not being able to purchase a parking permit as a new student (i.e. are there limited spots, since this influences where I would live)? Also, what is the timeline for purchasing a permit, since I haven't yet decided 100% on Pitt? Also, earlier in the thread someone mentioned most students park at OC lot. Is that the only/best option, or are there others? Thanks so much! you've been super duper helpful :)
I'm not sure how quickly parking permits for cars go. It looks like they've made some changes to the parking rates and policy so the best place to find those answers is through the Pitt Parking Services: Parking Services | Parking, Transportation & Services | University of Pittsburgh.

One note, motorcycle parking is only $25 a term for those that ride. Never had a problem getting a MC permit.

I have also heard that historically Pitt has a lot of decent WL movement. So I wouldn’t give up hope yet to people still on the WL. Seems like there will be a fair amount of movement here since people are giving up seats due to FA etc.
Exactly, and according to MSAR, the latest they have accepted an applicant off the waitlist was in July. I am not completely going to give up hope yet lol!

Have there been any talks or rumors of Pitt going debt free? Maybe I am wishing on a lucky star here, but what's the likelihood of UPSOM emulating Cornell's move?

• Haha
Have there been any talks or rumors of Pitt going debt free? Maybe I am wishing on a lucky star here, but what's the likelihood of UPSOM emulating Cornell's move?
based on what people in this thread reported on their financial aid, pretty slim lol

• Haha
i heard they were gonna take people off the WL april 15th. does anyone know if this true?

@hopefulv3 april 15 was three days ago so I don’t think that’s true. It does seem like the pattern is Thursday nights/fridays, so perhaps this coming week?

• Love
Their amount of endowment university-wide is not as far off as NYU but I don't know specifics of the medical school/Health system financials.

Hey everyone, if you are strongly considering Pitt I encourage you all to join the Pitt Med Second Look 2020 Facebook page (it won't let me link it here).

Also, we are creating a program for admitted to students to chat with current MS1's one-on-one in the coming weeks. If you're interested, please fill out this google form! https://forms.gle/HinBKPo95juzruRx8

Hey everyone, if you are strongly considering Pitt I encourage you all to join the Pitt Med Second Look 2020 Facebook page (it won't let me link it here).

Also, we are creating a program for admitted to students to chat with current MS1's one-on-one in the coming weeks. If you're interested, please fill out this google form! https://forms.gle/HinBKPo95juzruRx8

Pls tell Pitt to take me off their waitlist

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew today, good luck everyone!

• Love