2019-2020 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
L

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What does Stanford seem to emphasize/value in the students they like to accept?

I left thinking ‘what an articulate place’. Everyone was very well-spoken

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
For the many Berg applicants, did Dr. Utz mention when we would know about Berg? I remember him saying that because it's the first year that they are doing it with regular admissions that it is uncertain when we will know. But, I am curious about the timeline...

I will be withdrawing my app later today! I had an interview slot for 2/14, so hopefully someone else can still fill that slot kinda last minute! Good luck everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have an idea of when the waitlist usually moves? Could it happen anytime or should we only expect movement to happen around deadline times around May? The email seems to suggest that we can only expect to hear back in May?

• Sad
Does anyone have an idea of when the waitlist usually moves? Could it happen anytime or should we only expect movement to happen around deadline times around May? The email seems to suggest that we can only expect to hear back in May?
Looking at last year’s thread it seems some people got off the WL in March, but I suspect the majority of movement happens in May.

• Sad
Does anyone know when interview invites tend to end? Any precedent in prior cycles?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

based on what my classmates who were on the WL tell me, basically can happen any time.

• Love
Hi! Does anyone know whether Stanford offers any flexibility with merit aid, particularly if you are considering other schools that would be much cheaper options? I believe it says on their website that they don't offer merit aid but I thought I'd ask anyways in case someone has other insight! Thank you!

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Are there any other early interviewees that are still in silence? I interviewed in Oct and haven't heard anything, so I'm not sure what to think of it. Can anyone provide insight? Thank you!

• Wow
Are there any other early interviewees that are still in silence? I interviewed in Oct and haven't heard anything, so I'm not sure what to think of it. Can anyone provide insight? Thank you!
I imagine no news is good news at this point since some of us who interviewed in Oct were placed on the WL. Hang in there.

fwiw I interviewed in Oct and heard back later than many ppl who interviewed in Jan/Feb. There's no rhyme or reason to these things. Just have to be patient, but I know it sucks.

Hi! Does anyone know whether Stanford offers any flexibility with merit aid, particularly if you are considering other schools that would be much cheaper options? I believe it says on their website that they don't offer merit aid but I thought I'd ask anyways in case someone has other insight! Thank you!

From my experience and from other people I've spoken to, Stanford has consistently been transparent about not considering competing merit offers or other financial aid offers. However, other schools (Penn for example) are basically notorious for their flexibility with merit aid. Hope this helps!

Anyone mess up on an mmi station here and still get an A?

The MS1 student I had lunch with the day of the interview said he messed up a few stations, had to full stop to collect himself in a couple of them.

My mouth was so dry that I croaked in one of mine. I managed to say ‘water’ and there wasn’t any. Pretty awkward :lol:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Has anybody heard back/is waiting to hear back for MSTP? We can PM if you'd prefer!

i think the group was just made visible? this wasn’t appearing in searches previously

• Love
hello! have heard nothing from Stanford since submitting my secondary in July. any chance there are interview invites still coming, or should i assume this a silent rejection? thanks!

hello! have heard nothing from Stanford since submitting my secondary in July. any chance there are interview invites still coming, or should i assume this a silent rejection? thanks!

You will get an actual rejection at some point. I think the last round of rejections went out at the end of February last year. I’m also still waiting for any communication

Last edited:
  • Sad
has anyone accepted this cycle received their financial aid package yet? was wondering if they generally are provided within the ~3 week estimated timeframe or closer to April.

i think the group was just made visible? this wasn’t appearing in searches previously

I tried to join this page Tuesday after you found it but it doesn't seem to be active. Any luck joining it for y'all?

Anyone have any info about when the financial aid packages start coming out? Kinda nervous about it!

Edit- never mind, its generally 3 weeks after completion of the application. I'll leave this here if anyone else has the same question.

Last edited:
Anyone have any info about when the financial aid packages start coming out? Kinda nervous about it!

Edit- never mind, its generally 3 weeks after completion of the application. I'll leave this here if anyone else has the same question.

Make sure you do CSS, FAFSA, and send in the supplemental app + documents on Axess! The links to do the supplemental app and send in the forms are kinda hidden, you really have to search for them. Lmk if you're having trouble finding them :)

i emailed the financial aid office to ask and they said the first batch of fin aid letters will be sent out week of 2/24!

Should I consider Stanford a lost cause at this point in the cycle? Radio silence since applying.

• Sad
Does anyone know if second wave acceptances are out / when is the next wave for those of us who interviewed recently.

I am not sure when the committee meets to evaluate applicants post-interview.

Some insights into the Stanford admissions process (maybe as of 2004?) based on screenshots of what an admissions administrator/officer's portal may have looked like. The screenshots were from here.
mesa1.jpg

mesa2.jpg

mesa3.jpg

mesa4.jpg

MeSA was their old app system. They’ve since switched to AMP (MedAdmit). Based on the screenshots, looks like the stages of the admissions process were:
A) screening- probably automated based on GPA and MCAT to give secondaries or auto-reject after collecting dat secondary money. I noticed some people in the cycle were getting rejected like a day or 2 after they submitted secondary, so that was probably from this stage.
B) document pass- probably checking that transcripts & LORs have been submitted
C) review- looks like 2 reviewers that are faculty and/or students give scores on various qualities, like research, leadership, etc, and an overall 1-10 rating. Or maybe each applicant gets 1 initial reviewer and if they get a high score from that reviewer they also get an additional reviewer, and if both give high scores they move on to the next stage.
D) director review- Not sure what happens here, but does the director look over all the applications that made it to this stage before interview invitations? idk
E) interview
F) committee meeting to make decisions

I suppose we knew that the overall process went something along these lines but a few of the above details are interesting.

Last edited:
Hello fellow interviewees who are still waiting to hear back - I made a summary of past decisions posted on this thread. So far 14 A's, 11 WL's, and last the last A reported was on 1/31/2020.

Format: (Post Date) - Username - Interview Date

SDN Acceptances (14):

To clarify, I interviewed 11/15/2019 for MSTP, received my MD acceptance 1/15, and then received my MSTP acceptance 1/23/2020

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow interviewees who are still waiting to hear back - I made a summary of past decisions posted on this thread. So far 14 A's, 11 WL's, and last the last A reported was on 1/31/2020.

What is the purpose of listing people by username here? I don’t love that

Last edited by a moderator:

So, there really is nothing wrong with this given that all the information is in this thread, and you did not dox anyone. However, I have gotten reports from people listed that they would prefer not to be included in a spreadsheet like this for various reasons.

To the people who reported this post for those reasons, I encourage you to message this user and ask to have your name removed. And to @The_Good_MD, I encourage you to be respectful of that.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello fellow interviewees who are still waiting to hear back - I made an anonymized summary of past decisions posted on this thread. So far 14 A's, 11 WL's, and last the last A reported was on 1/31/2020.

Format: (Decision Date) - Interview Date

SDN Acceptances (14):
  1. (1/15/2020) - (?)
  2. (1/15/2020) - (9/25/2019)
  3. (1/15/2020) - (11/15/2019) *mstp
  4. (1/16/2020) - (10/9/2019)
  5. (1/16/2020) - (10/9/2019)
  6. (1/21/2020) - (Early January)
  7. (1/21/2020) - (1/10/2020)
  8. (1/21/2020) - (1/10/2020)
  9. (1/24/2020) - (1/10/2020)
  10. (1/24/2020) - (1/10/2020)
  11. (1/25/2020) - (1/10/2020)
  12. (1/31/2020) - (1/10/2020)
  13. (1/31/2020) - (1/15/2020)
  14. (1/31/2020) - (1/15/2020)
SDN Waitlists (11):
  1. (1/24/2020) - (9/25/2019)
  2. (1/24/2020) - (10/2/2019)
  3. (1/24/2020) - (10/2/2019)
  4. (1/27/2020) - (10/X/2019)
  5. (1/27/2020) - ls1422 - (12/X/2019)
  6. (1/27/2020) - (?)
  7. (1/27/2020) - (?)
  8. (1/27/2020) - (11/X/2019)
  9. (1/27/2020) - (11/X/2019)
  10. (1/27/2020) - (11/X/2019)
  11. (1/27/2020) - (12/X/2019)

Following up on this, for those who have been accepted and waitlisted, have your buttons disappeared?
Has been 2 weeks since your interview? I believe you can’t provide updates after 2 weeks after your interview