2019-2020 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did it disappear around 2 weeks after your interview?

I don't know when exactly it disappeared, but that makes sense because Dr. Gibbs said that they only accept updates until 2 weeks after the interview. I don't think it meant anything in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This change occurred more than 7 weeks after. Do waitlisted folks still have the update button?
I'm not sure when mine disappeared but it was shortly after my interview in October. I think it was about 2 weeks after. I was eventually waitlisted, but I really don't think the update button has anything to do with it.

BTW, I withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone else.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
For those accepted - is Stanford showing up in your AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool? I can't see it and after the Mayo bamboozle I am spooked

• Sad
For those accepted - is Stanford showing up in your AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool? I can't see it and after the Mayo bamboozle I am spooked
Stanford probably hasn't reported their acceptances to AMCAS yet. Don't worry (I know it's easier said than done; I was caught up in the Mayo fiasco too).

Stanford probably hasn't reported their acceptances to AMCAS yet. Don't worry (I know it's easier said than done; I was caught up in the Mayo fiasco too).

Thank you based Jambalaya. Got it - I was wondering if it was a manual or automatic process. And oh dear, what a fiasco indeed. Thanks for being a voice of reason over there during it all.

Reactions: 1 users
Still not seeing Stanford in my choose your medical school tool - anyone else having this issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some insights into the Stanford admissions process (maybe as of 2004?) based on screenshots of what an admissions administrator/officer's portal may have looked like. The screenshots were from here.
View attachment 295872
View attachment 295873
View attachment 295874
View attachment 295875

MeSA was their old app system. They’ve since switched to MedAdmit. Based on the screenshots, looks like the stages of the admissions process were:
A) screening- probably automated based on GPA and MCAT to give secondaries or auto-reject after collecting dat secondary money. I noticed some people in the cycle were getting rejected like a day or 2 after they submitted secondary, so that was probably from this stage.
B) document pass- probably checking that transcripts & LORs have been submitted
C) review- looks like 2 reviewers that are faculty and/or students give scores on various qualities, like research, leadership, etc, and an overall 1-10 rating. Or maybe each applicant gets 1 initial reviewer and if they get a high score from that reviewer they also get an additional reviewer, and if both give high scores they move on to the next stage.
D) director review- Not sure what happens here, but does the director look over all the applications that made it to this stage before interview invitations? idk
E) interview
F) committee meeting to make decisions

I suppose we knew that the overall process went something along these lines but a few of the above details are interesting.
Since 2004 the EC/uniqueness creep has probably doubled the median ECs/uniqueness for acceptance

To those who interviewed and have heard back (A or WL): how did you feel your MMI went right after?

To those who interviewed and have heard back (A or WL): how did you feel your MMI went right after?
I felt really, really good. I had done 6 MMIs at that point and felt like I really had it down. Turned into an A. But I also got an A from my worst MMI ever and an R from my second best MMI so... I wouldn't worry about it!

I felt like I rambled a lot. I was really embarrassed when I thought about it how redundant I was at some stations. It felt so unnatural to try and get everything into those few minutes, off the cuff. I also got dry mouth and choked during one of my stations - yikes.

But I also had a good time and was laughing the entire day, even during the MMI. I had some fun interviewers and the other interviewees that day were great people. I left thinking 'eh, at least I had fun'.

• Wow
Seems like just WL at this point, which isn’t super surprising given the small class size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think they are done sending out As for interviewees? (I'm not asking about getting an A from a WL)
Also, I interviewed in the 1st week of Feb.

You think they are done sending out As for interviewees? (I'm not asking about getting an A from a WL)
Also, I interviewed in the 1st week of Feb.

They are still accepting people. I think they might be referring to the fact that they do not reject just wl.

I practiced a TON for my MMI with a family friend who does oral board exams for anesthesiology residents and also read a lot about ethics, current events in medicine, and related topics (shoutout to UW's bioethics page for being amazing), so I felt pretty good going into my MMI, which I think was super helpful. Confidence is key on interview day. I thought all of my stations went pretty well except my partner stations which were hard to gauge. Ended up getting accepted so my advice is practice like it's the real thing early and often.

I’m sure it’s been asked/answered/in the packet somewhere but are we supposed to submit institutional applications (read: other than FAFSA) for financial aid even if we haven’t been accepted yet?

Heads up, I was told fin aid awards were delayed to early March due to a policy change

• Wow
  • Sad
Free tuition? One can dream
Not to stir the pot and get people’s hopes up, BUT an interviewer at a different school told me that someone in his field told him (...telephone game...) that Stanford was going to no/free tuition lmao I hope so

• Wow
Not to stir the pot and get people’s hopes up, BUT an interviewer at a different school told me that someone in his field told him (...telephone game...) that Stanford was going to no/free tuition lmao I hope so
interesting, I heard the exact opposite from a Stanford med faculty; that Stanford will not be going free tuition for the foreseeable future.

• Sad
  • Wow
interesting, I heard the exact opposite from a Stanford med faculty; that Stanford will not be going free tuition for the foreseeable future.
I’d definitely trust that more than “my” info...it was kind of random how the person brought it up, and it was a school on the opposite coast too.

I asked about the status of my aid also and got this response:

“This incoming class will have new financial aid and we are holding the award for a while. Now, it is scheduled for the beginning March. I am sorry for the delay.”

not sure what to make of it!

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I’d definitely trust that more than “my” info...it was kind of random how the person brought it up, and it was a school on the opposite coast too.
maybe UCSF got mistranslated into Stanford somewhere in the game of telephone? Cause I know there are talks of UCSF going tuition-free

Reactions: 3 users
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Woah. Not quite free tuition but this is pretty incredible! LET'S GO!
Debt-free is much better than tuition-free for those with need. I feel kind of dumb for withdrawing now, but the article says that this year's M1s were the first ones to benefit from this gift, which doesn't really make sense with what I was told during my meeting with financial aid on interview day.

Just making sure I'm not reading this wrong...Stanford is becoming debt free?

For low income and other qualifying students? Probably yes although it kind of already was starting with our class. For all? Unsure. Our class definitely saw an expansion of need based financial aid but it’s not clear from this messaging alone if y’all will see more of that / why they are delaying your offers. In time you will all get your fin aid packages and we’ll find out together probably!

I think most of you will be surprised by how much they’ll give you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Oh that's really good news. Debt free is a good deal. I bet there will be a rise in applications at Stanford after this news.

Seems like very few non-Berg acceptances reported so far for a class of 90... have they only sent out very few acceptances and waitlisted everyone else, or are a lot of people still waiting to hear back post interview?

Seems like very few non-Berg acceptances reported so far for a class of 90... have they only sent out very few acceptances and waitlisted everyone else, or are a lot of people still waiting to hear back post interview?

Yes, interviewed this month for MD. Hopefully they'll notify us soon!

My update tab has disappeared. The plot thickens.......

It disappears two weeks after your interview because you can only update within 2 weeks after interviewing. Mine disappeared too!

Reactions: 4 users