-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Stanford
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
But aren't you paying taxes on earned income either way, whether or not you use it to pay off loans?? All you're saying is that EVERYTHING you spend earned income on costs more than the listed price because you first have to pay taxes on the income, with limited exceptions for things like mortgage interest, some student loan interest and business expenses that the IRS allows as deductions. Paying back loan principal (and the non-deductible portion of interest) is no more expensive than anything else you do with your money! 🙂Exactly. But by using post tax income, you are in effect, paying taxes on that money, just not right away.
Last edited:
P.S. -- everyone should check, but I am pretty sure that any scholarship money that isn't used for tuition, fees, required equipment and books, etc. (i.e., living expenses, housing, etc.) IS taxed as income. Just an FYI!Gotcha! I was worried they were taxed when you received them AND you're paying them off with post-tax income. That would be tragic. Thank you so much for clarifying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NCIguy62
just out here vibin'
P.S. -- everyone should check, but I am pretty sure that any scholarship money that isn't used for tuition, fees, required equipment and books, etc. (i.e., living expenses, housing, etc.) IS taxed as income. Just an FYI!
Yes - that is what the article I linked said as well. Make sure you stay on top of your finances folks!
In other news, anyone got those sweet sweet lottery numbers?
NCIguy62
just out here vibin'
My parents aren’t paying for my schooling, but I also know that if anything happened to me like my car needed repairing, I got into an accident, or whatever they could have my back in a pinch. They are a safety net for me. There are people here who save their stipend aggressively because *they* are the safety net for their family. The option they may have been presented with without Stanford’s aid would not have been “go into debt for Stanford and compromise about ways to service it in the long run” or “choose a more generous offer”. It simply wouldn’t have been an option at all. That’s what I mean when I say “keep things in perspective”.
This is a very good point Lucca, and you are right. I am very fortunate to be in a position where 1) I have the chance to attend Stanford for my MD (something truly beyond my wildest dreams!) AND 2) if something went horribly wrong my parents could be my safety net - I don't need to be their safety net, as you explained. It is true, for a student who is their family's primary source of support, they might have to use their stipend to help their family right now in an extreme case, or the prospect of med school loans might truly be inhibitory to their dream of going into medicine - because if something goes wrong for THEM, they'd be straddled with hundreds of thousands in debt and no prospect of family support to help them. Fortunately for me, that is likely not the case, so I am very thankful for that. I just wish that the middle class was helped out a wee bit more, but your perspective is very appreciated - my aid offer, while disappointing, won't keep me from going to Stanford. But for others, a low aid package would.
Has anyone tried calling the office of admissions or knows when the next batch of decisions will be released?
Can any current students comment on this please?
ricardo.wannabedoc
Full Member
@Lucca Any idea if second look is at risk of being canceled?
positivepuffin
Full Member
for accepted students, does anyone's status page still show an x next to "SUNet ID submitted" ? I've already created my ID and have access to the "axess" website. Am I missing something?
No clue! Sorry, can’t be helpful on this front. We’d probably find out same day as you. Right now we haven’t heard anything to that effect@Lucca Any idea if second look is at risk of being canceled?
D
deleted987990
Boys and girls, I can feel in my bones that today is the big day. Keep your phones charged and loud!
P.S. just a guess, don’t take me seriously
They really should consider calling soon because its been a hot minute
I think 3pm pacific or laterWhat time of day do they usually call?
Does anyone know how the waitlist works? ie, should we send letters of interest/intent? there is not anywhere on the portal to upload such a doc and the waitlist email does not mention it.
sweet.potato243
New Member
Anyone know how many admitted students in the facebook group already?
97 including some current MS1s tooAnyone know how many admitted students in the facebook group already?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
90 per year I believeWhat’s the size of the class?
Anyone know how many admitted students in the facebook group already?
Which fb group are you looking at? The one linked earlier in this thread "Stanford School of Medicine Entering Class of 2020" has 7 members. Is there another one?
sweet.potato243
New Member
If there are already 97 admitted students in the facebook group, there probably aren't gonna be many more acceptances in the next weeks
The were 179 in group for 2018 and 189 for 2019. Also, I see just 7 in the group for 2020, so maybe I’m looking at the wrong group or members are hidden?If there are already 97 admitted students in the facebook group, there probably aren't gonna be many more acceptances in the next weeks
Supersoccerstar
Full Member
The were 179 in group for 2018 and 189 for 2019. Also, I see just 7 in the group for 2020, so maybe I’m looking at the wrong group or members are hidden?
That first one (the one @mm19hope mentioned) turned out to be unofficial/a dud. Here's the official one for those who are curious (Log into Facebook | Facebook)
lukesup_12
Full Member
Any news today?
koalaburrito
Full Member
Stanford canceled in person classes so I am assuming that second look is going to be canceled..?
NCIguy62
just out here vibin'
Stanford also cancelled admitted students' weekend for undergrads and are taking care of patients (including a Stanford Med faculty member) with coronavirus in the hospital. Sucks that second look may get cancelled but their health and ours as well is much more important in the long run.
Last edited:
How awful. Hoping for the best during this difficult time.
Medical School faculty member tests positive for coronavirus | The Stanford Daily
"A faculty member in Stanford School of Medicine has tested positive for COVID-19, Dean Lloyd Minor announced in an email Friday evening, marking the first publicly confirmed coronavirus case in a Stanford affiliate."
Medical School faculty member tests positive for coronavirus | The Stanford Daily
"A faculty member in Stanford School of Medicine has tested positive for COVID-19, Dean Lloyd Minor announced in an email Friday evening, marking the first publicly confirmed coronavirus case in a Stanford affiliate."
Do we think they're gonna wait till Friday for the Feb interviewees?
My nerves are absolutely fried
Guesses and predictions are welcome
My nerves are absolutely fried
Guesses and predictions are welcome
Just got an email saying that Second Look will be a virtual event.
Last edited:
ricardo.wannabedoc
Full Member
can i have a lil stipend for alcohol since we won't get to benefit from an open bar in-person?
Was email from MDAdmissions? I haven't gotten anything yet
MSTP conveyed information from MD decision to us. They’ll email soon, I think.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to AAMC traffic rules: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." But based on the # of people in the FB pg, looks like Stanford has already given at least 90 acceptances so the next wave might not even be this week..... If any brave soul wants to contact admissions to ask about decision timeline for Feb interviewees and report back to us, you will be forever enshrined as a hero in this storied thread.Do we think they're gonna wait till Friday for the Feb interviewees?
My nerves are absolutely fried
Guesses and predictions are welcome
D
deleted846158
According to AAMC traffic rules: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." But based on the # of people in the FB pg, looks like Stanford has already given at least 90 acceptances so the next wave might not even be this week..... If any brave soul wants to contact admissions to ask about decision timeline for Feb interviewees and report back to us, you will be forever enshrined as a hero in this storied thread.
Interesting, I wonder how many acceptances are to be given out considering Stanford is likely very affordable for many accepted students and they already accepted their class size.
D
deleted958920
According to AAMC traffic rules: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." But based on the # of people in the FB pg, looks like Stanford has already given at least 90 acceptances so the next wave might not even be this week..... If any brave soul wants to contact admissions to ask about decision timeline for Feb interviewees and report back to us, you will be forever enshrined as a hero in this storied thread.
I hope Stanford hasn't accepted the class size yet. I haven't heard of any fellow February interviewees being accepted on SDN, Reddit, or IRL. While it is possible that some February interviewees heard back already and that Stanford has accepted their class size, basing this off the Facebook group isn't the most accurate way to support this claim. Just because the group has a few more members than the class size doesn't mean every member is someone admitted this cycle. For example another school's Facebook group I joined already had close to 50 members before they started letting accepted students join. I wouldn't count yourself out yet, there is still time until the 15th!
Supersoccerstar
Full Member
Just got the official email from MD Admissions that second look is officially virtual.
Unfortunate, but expected, and our hearts go out to those affected more directly by the coronavirus
Unfortunate, but expected, and our hearts go out to those affected more directly by the coronavirus
True, there will definitely be another acceptance wave for the feb interviews. I was just saying that it might not be this week because I think they may have already given 90 acceptances. In previous years, the number of members in the fb group was approximately equal to the number of applicants Stanford accepts. Sure, there will be some current students in the fb group, but also some accepted applicants won’t have fb accounts or wont join the group, so historically the number of members in the FB group had been a decent approximation for the number of accepted applicants.I hope Stanford hasn't accepted the class size yet. I haven't heard of any fellow February interviewees being accepted on SDN, Reddit, or IRL. While it is possible that some February interviewees heard back already and that Stanford has accepted their class size, basing this off the Facebook group isn't the most accurate way to support this claim. Just because the group has a few more members than the class size doesn't mean every member is someone admitted this cycle. For example another school's Facebook group I joined already had close to 50 members before they started letting accepted students join. I wouldn't count yourself out yet, there is still time until the 15th!
Last edited:
D
deleted958920
True, there will definitely be another acceptance wave for the feb interviews. I was just saying that it might not be this week because I think they may have already given 90 acceptances. In previous years, the number of members in the fb group was approximately equal to the number of applicants Stanford accepts. Sure, there will be some current students in the fb group, but also some accepted applicants won’t have fb accounts or wont join the group, so historically the number of members in the FB group had been a decent approximation for the number of accepted applicants.
I never thought of that. Good points!
Anyone else not interview but not receive a rejection yet...? Wondering if my application got lost...
Tumornator
Full Member
Who wants to be forever enshrined a hero 🙂According to AAMC traffic rules: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." But based on the # of people in the FB pg, looks like Stanford has already given at least 90 acceptances so the next wave might not even be this week..... If any brave soul wants to contact admissions to ask about decision timeline for Feb interviewees and report back to us, you will be forever enshrined as a hero in this storied thread.
D
deleted987990
I would but i am at miami beach sipping on mimosa hahaWho wants to be forever enshrined a hero 🙂
Same, I'm out of the countryI would but i am at miami beach sipping on mimosa haha
What if one of the accepted students makes the call on our behalf?
If you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will buy you a drink
lukesup_12
Full Member
Do yall think everyone will hear back by March 15?
positivepuffin
Full Member
So Yale is mailing accepted students school swag since second look will be virtual... can we expect a Stanford shirt in the mail? *puppy eyes*
positivepuffin
Full Member
Because I received the emailHow do you know about Yale?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lizzyMunderdog
New Member
Just got the acceptance call an hour ago, interviewed early Feb. Best of luck to everyone!
Anyone else? is this it?
lizzyMunderdog
New Member
Berg scholar.Congrats! Was it a MSTP interview or MD interview?
D
deleted958920
there's nothing quite like waiting for a phone call that will probably never come....
Story of my life.