Jan 8, 2018
Well I was verified July 9 and initially applied to MD/PhD. After a month of not receiving a secondary, I resubmitted AMCAS as MD only on 8/8 (what it says on UCLA MSTP website to do).
I wouldn’t give up hope just yet. I submitted before that, but are there people who submitted their primary to UCLA around 8/8? Maybe they can share if they’ve gotten the secondary yet.

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

The Inner Machinations of my mind are an enigma
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
My stats are pretty good...and considering I went to undergrad there, was an athlete and won an NCAA national championship for them, i am a little upset that I haven't even gotten a secondary :(
I got UCSD MD/PhD secondary within a day of verification...do they do similar screening as UCLA?
Do you have an IA?

Jul 1, 2019
Check your spam/junk folder.
I have :( Nothing there. I still live near campus. Do you think it would be a bad idea to just to go over there and ask tomorrow?

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I have :( Nothing there. I still live near campus. Do you think it would be a bad idea to just to go over there and ask tomorrow?
That'd probably come off as a little needy.

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Although, I will be down that way next week.....You should do it and report back. If it works, I will follow suit.

Jan 8, 2018
You could always give them a call or send an email.

Jul 1, 2019
The only thing I can think of is that there's something weird going on because I resubmitted to the same school for a different program.

Jan 8, 2018
The only thing I can think of is that there's something weird going on because I resubmitted to the same school for a different program.
That definitely might be it. I'd probably call or email rather than walk over. I called a few months back to ask a quick question and the lady seemed to be in a big rush. I'm just not sure how much time they'd give you in person.

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
That definitely might be it. I'd probably call or email rather than walk over. I called a few months back to ask a quick question and the lady seemed to be in a big rush. I'm just not sure how much time they'd give you in person.
Anecdotally, there appears to be a lot going on in the admissions office that is.....Not well organized, to put it lightly. I know nothing more, but this has been the word on the street.

May 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anecdotally, there appears to be a lot going on in the admissions office that is.....Not well organized, to put it lightly. I know nothing more, but this has been the word on the street.
Somebody posted on r/premed with a similar claim, unless we're talking about the same thing.

Reactions: premed20172017

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Somebody posted on r/premed with a similar claim, unless we're talking about the same thing.
I have seen like 5 different people involved in the process with similar notions.

Any current UCLA med students willing to be a whistleblower for us?

proudofmykids

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 10, 2019
You bet your ass they are screening (haven’t gotten a secondary and it has been 7 weeks)
This is rough for you. Certainly seem to be penalizing the IA. Decision you have it to leave as-is if you know for certain previous cycle IA candidates have received secondary and interview. Or, you can try to draw attention for reconsideration, via an update or even specific email or something.

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
This is rough for you. Certainly seem to be penalizing the IA. Decision you have it to leave as-is if you know for certain previous cycle IA candidates have received secondary and interview. Or, you can try to draw attention for reconsideration, via an update or even specific email or something.
Nah, I will likely have a successful cycle with or without UCLA. Just gonna wait it out.

Reactions: premed20172017
Jan 4, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
My stats are pretty good...and considering I went to undergrad there, was an athlete and won an NCAA national championship for them, i am a little upset that I haven't even gotten a secondary :(
I got UCSD MD/PhD secondary within a day of verification...do they do similar screening as UCLA?
thats weird, something must've happened with your application cause my mcat scores didnt get released until aug 20th, i added ucla aug 21st and got a secondary on the 22nd and i am really low stat.

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

CaliforniaAsian

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2016
So I'm putting this here for any MSTP applicants who had similar questions as I did. I called and asked, and for the faculty list they prefer you just list the names of faculty (you can still put down a brief description if you have a specific project you're interested in, but it doesn't matter).

For the MD/PhD statement, it's a "Why MSTP at UCLA" question even though it doesn't specify on the prompt.

And for people waiting on secondaries, N=1 but I got verified on Aug 22 and received a secondary Aug 23 and I only applied MD/PhD on AMCAS.

Mar 23, 2019
Are they receptive to ITA letters? Flights to Cali are expensive :oops:

Jul 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Shaking as I write this....

II just now!!!
And I am under their supposed "cut-offs!"

3.4cGPA/511 MCAT/ URM / IS

Complete 7/25
Verified 7/19 + Secondary Received (what felt like automatically) on 7/20
THERE IS HOPE for lower stat applicants!!
Dates available were 1 in late September and 3 in Early/Mid October.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I know UCLA is going through some admissions changes this year and with the recent switch to rolling admissions, (last year?) does anyone think we might actually hear back sometime in october?

proudofmykids

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 10, 2019
Congrats to all.
Feeling left out. secondary submitted 7/17.
LM 84
One of top choice schools.

How are they deciding on their reviewing order?

Jan 8, 2018
My parents are feeling left out too...because they are not part of this process! :wtf:
I'm relying on my parents to be a source of zen during this process. They'd turn into gunners like the rest of us if they joined SDN. The LAST thing I need for them to do is call me or email me saying..."A bunch of SDNers got an II for XYZ SOM. Did you?" I'm very happy with them saying, "Don't worry, Premed20172017! It's like an election - you're waiting for the results to roll in. It'll happen slowly, but it'll happen!"

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I have seen like 5 different people involved in the process with similar notions.

Any current UCLA med students willing to be a whistleblower for us?
The sad truth is that not everyone who thinks they are qualified will receive a secondary. Blame the admission office is the best strategy for a comfort of mind.

I know UCLA is going through some admissions changes this year and with the recent switch to rolling admissions, (last year?) does anyone think we might actually hear back sometime in october?
Perhaps. There are so many layers/factors after you interviewed that can postpone your files. Chances are if you interviewed in the past two rounds you'll hear back before the year ends if you are accepted.

Reactions: MrsDrDr

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
The sad truth is that not everyone who thinks they are qualified will receive a secondary. Blame the admission office is the best strategy for a comfort of mind.
Well, specifically with this scenario, no one who has a reported IA has received a secondary. So it is quite obviously not a matter of who thinks they are qualified or not, it is a blanket ban or delay (which is something made at the ADCOM level).

Reactions: Fruitjuice

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Well, specifically with this scenario, no one who has a reported IA has received a secondary. So it is quite obviously not a matter of who thinks they are qualified or not, it is a blanket ban or delay (which is something made at the ADCOM level).
Perhaps. I would avoid assuming blanket ban solely based on sdn sample size. The best way is to call and ask if they have a hard screen on IA applicants.

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Perhaps. I would avoid assuming blanket ban solely based on sdn sample size. The best way is to call and ask if they have a hard screen on IA applicants.
Several of us have and the answer from every office has been “we don’t decide who gets secondaries.” And the sample size is about 15 people with absolutely no one reporting they got a secondary with an IA when the IA ban is a known issue. So it is a fairly comfortable assumption. Still an assumption, but one that is highly probable.

Reactions: seryner and Laix
Jul 31, 2018
I talked to admissions on the phone today and was told that Oct. 26th is an available interview date, but I don't see it on their website. Did she misspeak, or do they know the dates that will become available before they actually are? I live in WV so I need to buy plane tickets as soon as possible.

Jan 8, 2018
I talked to admissions on the phone today and was told that Oct. 26th is an available interview date, but I don't see it on their website. Did she misspeak, or do they know the dates that will become available before they actually are? I live in WV so I need to buy plane tickets as soon as possible.
I'm sure that the admissions office has a list of all of the interview dates throughout the cycle...

Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma
Mar 5, 2019
Hello all-

Well done with all of the secondary and interview invites! I submitted 6 LORs to UCLA instead of 5. I was wondering if anyone else did this and knows what to do? I called the admissions office but didnt get through to anyone.

Thank you!