2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wrote about a second place award in a sport and I got an interview, so....
Well this makes me happy.. because I really don't have another award to write about. Lol

Members don't see this ad.

My stats are pretty good...and considering I went to undergrad there, was an athlete and won an NCAA national championship for them, i am a little upset that I haven't even gotten a secondary :(
I got UCSD MD/PhD secondary within a day of verification...do they do similar screening as UCLA?
thats weird, something must've happened with your application cause my mcat scores didnt get released until aug 20th, i added ucla aug 21st and got a secondary on the 22nd and i am really low stat.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm putting this here for any MSTP applicants who had similar questions as I did. I called and asked, and for the faculty list they prefer you just list the names of faculty (you can still put down a brief description if you have a specific project you're interested in, but it doesn't matter).

For the MD/PhD statement, it's a "Why MSTP at UCLA" question even though it doesn't specify on the prompt.

And for people waiting on secondaries, N=1 but I got verified on Aug 22 and received a secondary Aug 23 and I only applied MD/PhD on AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Shaking as I write this....

II just now!!!
And I am under their supposed "cut-offs!"

3.4cGPA/511 MCAT/ URM / IS

Complete 7/25
Verified 7/19 + Secondary Received (what felt like automatically) on 7/20
THERE IS HOPE for lower stat applicants!!
Dates available were 1 in late September and 3 in Early/Mid October.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LM 67, IS ORM. Shaking. Never thought I would receive an II here. Crying at work rn.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
II just now! Complete 7/20, LM 76 OOS. How do you think they would respond to requests to change the name of their medical center now that Ronald Reagan’s an outed racist? (Only partly kidding)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II just now! I am not okay. OMG.

Complete 7/29, LM 74 IS ORM

Last edited:
  • Love
For those of you who have interviewed:

If you don’t mind sharing, generally how were the MMIs for UCLA?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have interviewed:

If you don’t mind sharing, generally how were the MMIs for UCLA?

very generally, NOTHING to worry about. Very low stress. Very fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to all.
Feeling left out. secondary submitted 7/17.
LM v.high stat
One of top choice schools.

How are they deciding on their reviewing order?

Last edited:
Congrats to all.
Feeling left out. secondary submitted 7/17.
LM 84
One of top choice schools.

How are they deciding on their reviewing order?

Eighty-fu****g-four?!
Don’t worry.
I’m proud of ya, kid!

Eighty-fu****g-four?!
Don’t worry.
I’m proud of ya, kid!
The poster is not a "kid." It is actually a parent. Who posts as if he/she is the kid applying. Just FYI... :eyebrow:

My parents are feeling left out too...because they are not part of this process! :wtf:
I'm relying on my parents to be a source of zen during this process. They'd turn into gunners like the rest of us if they joined SDN. The LAST thing I need for them to do is call me or email me saying..."A bunch of SDNers got an II for XYZ SOM. Did you?" I'm very happy with them saying, "Don't worry, Premed20172017! It's like an election - you're waiting for the results to roll in. It'll happen slowly, but it'll happen!"

Reactions: 4 users
So I am still waiting on a secondary-- is it bad to call and ask whether I've been screened out?

Congrats!!! Gap years? Research? Thanks

2 gap years so far
Lots of clinical research (no pubs)
Service-oriented app with dedicated work to underserved populations
Subpar GPA (but massive upward trend) and decent MCAT

Last edited:
I have seen like 5 different people involved in the process with similar notions.

Any current UCLA med students willing to be a whistleblower for us?

The sad truth is that not everyone who thinks they are qualified will receive a secondary. Blame the admission office is the best strategy for a comfort of mind.

I know UCLA is going through some admissions changes this year and with the recent switch to rolling admissions, (last year?) does anyone think we might actually hear back sometime in october?

Perhaps. There are so many layers/factors after you interviewed that can postpone your files. Chances are if you interviewed in the past two rounds you'll hear back before the year ends if you are accepted.

The sad truth is that not everyone who thinks they are qualified will receive a secondary. Blame the admission office is the best strategy for a comfort of mind.
Well, specifically with this scenario, no one who has a reported IA has received a secondary. So it is quite obviously not a matter of who thinks they are qualified or not, it is a blanket ban or delay (which is something made at the ADCOM level).

Well, specifically with this scenario, no one who has a reported IA has received a secondary. So it is quite obviously not a matter of who thinks they are qualified or not, it is a blanket ban or delay (which is something made at the ADCOM level).

Perhaps. I would avoid assuming blanket ban solely based on sdn sample size. The best way is to call and ask if they have a hard screen on IA applicants.

Perhaps. I would avoid assuming blanket ban solely based on sdn sample size. The best way is to call and ask if they have a hard screen on IA applicants.
Several of us have and the answer from every office has been “we don’t decide who gets secondaries.” And the sample size is about 15 people with absolutely no one reporting they got a secondary with an IA when the IA ban is a known issue. So it is a fairly comfortable assumption. Still an assumption, but one that is highly probable.

I talked to admissions on the phone today and was told that Oct. 26th is an available interview date, but I don't see it on their website. Did she misspeak, or do they know the dates that will become available before they actually are? I live in WV so I need to buy plane tickets as soon as possible.

I talked to admissions on the phone today and was told that Oct. 26th is an available interview date, but I don't see it on their website. Did she misspeak, or do they know the dates that will become available before they actually are? I live in WV so I need to buy plane tickets as soon as possible.
I'm sure that the admissions office has a list of all of the interview dates throughout the cycle...

Hello all-

Well done with all of the secondary and interview invites! I submitted 6 LORs to UCLA instead of 5. I was wondering if anyone else did this and knows what to do? I called the admissions office but didnt get through to anyone.

Thank you!

Anyone know what the schedule for interview day is gonna look like? Also do we have to register for the Meet & Greet after the interview?

Anyone know what the schedule for interview day is gonna look like? Also do we have to register for the Meet & Greet after the interview?

I'm scheduled to interview in a few weeks (late-Sept). Did you ever end up getting a confirmation email or an agenda?

I'm scheduled to interview in a few weeks (late-Sept). Did you ever end up getting a confirmation email or an agenda?
I didn’t get a confirmation email or agenda. The portal just tells us what time to be there at.
I didn’t know there was a meet and greet after??

You don’t have to register for the meet and greet, and the interview day is like this: breakfast welcome, why DGSOM talk with curriculum presentation, financial aid presentation, then they split you up into two groups. Then you go on student led tours and have lunch with students. After lunch, one group does MMI (4 stations, 10 min each) while the other does 2 faculty interviews, then the two groups switch. Then you come back together for a chill meet and greet! With good food. Great cheese.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone who applied for the student-host option heard back? If yes, how long before your interview date was it?

You don’t have to register for the meet and greet, and the interview day is like this: breakfast welcome, why DGSOM talk with curriculum presentation, financial aid presentation, then they split you up into two groups. Then you go on student led tours and have lunch with students. After lunch, one group does MMI (4 stations, 10 min each) while the other does 2 faculty interviews, then the two groups switch. Then you come back together for a chill meet and greet! With good food. Great cheese.
Did you interview this cycle? I thought there were 8 MMI stations

Feeling as free as a bird today

II OOS, ORM!
Complete late August

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Dang late August? Anything super special that made such as fast turnaround?

I completed all of my secondaries between mid and late August, and this one..

8/19

Idk.. just loads of research? (co-first author pubs in Nature/Cell)?
And a strong personal narrative

I completed all of my secondaries between mid and late August, and this one..

8/19

Idk.. just loads of research? (co-first author pubs in Nature/Cell)?
And a strong personal narrative
Holy crap. Good luck man but you won’t need it lol

So jealous of you guys. I wont hear back from here until December. :(

Holy crap. Good luck man but you won’t need it lol

Thanks guys! idk.. im just so nervous about all of this to be honest.
my MCAT isn't very high but Ill take what I can get and enjoy these moments

But yeah it was ironic bc this was one of the schools that had a 15 day deadline and I think i submitted on Day 15 exactly.