Jan 9, 2019
Anyone know what the schedule for interview day is gonna look like? Also do we have to register for the Meet & Greet after the interview?

Reactions: kkweens

AddictedToCaffeine

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone know what the schedule for interview day is gonna look like? Also do we have to register for the Meet & Greet after the interview?
I'm scheduled to interview in a few weeks (late-Sept). Did you ever end up getting a confirmation email or an agenda?

sagehen47

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You don’t have to register for the meet and greet, and the interview day is like this: breakfast welcome, why DGSOM talk with curriculum presentation, financial aid presentation, then they split you up into two groups. Then you go on student led tours and have lunch with students. After lunch, one group does MMI (4 stations, 10 min each) while the other does 2 faculty interviews, then the two groups switch. Then you come back together for a chill meet and greet! With good food. Great cheese.

Sep 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone who applied for the student-host option heard back? If yes, how long before your interview date was it?

Apr 29, 2019
You don’t have to register for the meet and greet, and the interview day is like this: breakfast welcome, why DGSOM talk with curriculum presentation, financial aid presentation, then they split you up into two groups. Then you go on student led tours and have lunch with students. After lunch, one group does MMI (4 stations, 10 min each) while the other does 2 faculty interviews, then the two groups switch. Then you come back together for a chill meet and greet! With good food. Great cheese.
Did you interview this cycle? I thought there were 8 MMI stations

Engrailed

Keep calm and drink water. Namaste.
Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats! Dang late August? Anything super special that made such as fast turnaround?
I completed all of my secondaries between mid and late August, and this one..

8/19

Idk.. just loads of research? (co-first author pubs in Nature/Cell)?
And a strong personal narrative

Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I completed all of my secondaries between mid and late August, and this one..

8/19

Idk.. just loads of research? (co-first author pubs in Nature/Cell)?
And a strong personal narrative
Holy crap. Good luck man but you won’t need it lol

Oct 11, 2018
So jealous of you guys. I wont hear back from here until December. :(

Reactions: cadillak

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Holy crap. Good luck man but you won’t need it lol
Thanks guys! idk.. im just so nervous about all of this to be honest.
my MCAT isn't very high but Ill take what I can get and enjoy these moments

But yeah it was ironic bc this was one of the schools that had a 15 day deadline and I think i submitted on Day 15 exactly.

Jan 8, 2018
  • Love
Reactions: Engrailed

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
best of luck to you all (even the lurkers!- I see you too :)

Reactions: premed20172017
Aug 13, 2018
California
Status
Pre-Medical
II today!!! Holy crap did not expect this one coming with my mediocre MCAT score and no gap year taken! Submitted 7/15

Anyone know what the odds are of getting in at this stage? (I know its hard to tell but just based on statistics)

Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
II today!!! Holy crap did not expect this one coming with my mediocre MCAT score and no gap year taken! Submitted 7/15

Anyone know what the odds are of getting in at this stage? (I know its hard to tell but just based on statistics)
Congrats, I believe post-II acceptance rates are around 40% IS, 50% OOS

Last edited:

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats, I believe post-II acceptance rates are around 40% IS, 50% OOS
If this is legit (and I saw those same numbers of MSAR today as well)...
I am SHOOK.

Skimming/rounding from MSAR
Total applications: 14,000
Verified IS (6000), OOS (8000)
Interview 300 , 300
Total accept ~300

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
If this is legit (and I saw those same numbers of MSAR today as well)...
I am SHOOK.

Skimming/rounding from MSAR
Total applications: 14,000
Verified IS (6000), OOS (8000)
Interview 300 , 300
Total accept ~300
Why are you shook?

Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Where did you find the IS/OOS discrepancy?
not sure, this google doc:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9Aas9pu04qa9GJx-RZMEj_WYzvesd-JQ_y592-2pBI/edit?usp=sharing

Jan 8, 2018
not sure, this google doc:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9Aas9pu04qa9GJx-RZMEj_WYzvesd-JQ_y592-2pBI/edit?usp=sharing
More OOS applicants AND OOS had a higher post-II acceptance rate? That's bonkers. As a Californian, I don't like this one bit hah. Is this just from one year, or is this a trend that happens annually?

Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
More OOS applicants AND OOS had a higher post-II acceptance rate? That's bonkers. As a Californian, I don't like this one bit hah. Is this just from one year, or is this a trend that happens annually?
no idea. similar excel spreadsheets from further in the past post completely different stats ~35% acceptance rates. But I think UCLA has made some changes in recent years where they interview less people? idk.

Reactions: Gshah97
Jan 8, 2018
no idea. similar excel spreadsheets from further in the past post completely different stats ~35% acceptance rates. But I think UCLA has made some changes in recent years where they interview less people? idk.
Interesting. I still think there should be more of an IS preference for UCs than there currently is. I get that they want OOS students because they pay more, but still!

MrsDrDr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
@Laix or anyone else, any thoughts on how UCLA views reapplicants? I interviewed here early in the cycle last year and thought the interview went really well (but...subjective viewpoint means almost nothing), but obv was not accepted. I did not have much clinical experience, and I think that's what hurt me (was told this by other schools). Have added a couple hundred hours of meaningful experience, and significant application rewrite, but no word from UCLA so far. Are they hard on reapplicants?

Deep dark fear that I somehow stuck both feet in my mouth during the interview last year and didn't even realize it and now they are blacklisting my application... :depressed:

Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma

blurb_123

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2017
Those #'s are wrong based on last year though, as you mentioned. Last year they interviewed 330 in state and 300 OOS. If it was 520 IS, then 38% would make a lot more sense. If I had to guess, I'd think they accept 270-300 of the ~650. So a 40-45% acceptance post II.

Aug 13, 2018
California
Status
Pre-Medical
How does UCLA choose people to interview? I really have no clue how I got II... Feeling really insecure about my MCAT lol

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
@Laix or anyone else, any thoughts on how UCLA views reapplicants? I interviewed here early in the cycle last year and thought the interview went really well (but...subjective viewpoint means almost nothing), but obv was not accepted. I did not have much clinical experience, and I think that's what hurt me (was told this by other schools). Have added a couple hundred hours of meaningful experience, and significant application rewrite, but no word from UCLA so far. Are they hard on reapplicants?

Deep dark fear that I somehow stuck both feet in my mouth during the interview last year and didn't even realize it and now they are blacklisting my application... :depressed:

I have no clue for re-applicant... I know UCLA is big on patient-centered practice though.

Jan 4, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
How does UCLA choose people to interview? I really have no clue how I got II... Feeling really insecure about my MCAT lol
What’s your MCAT if you don’t mind? I also have a subpar MCAT, in my opinion and I was just wondering lol

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I felt the same way last year!! They are really big on patient-centered practices, so they must see potentials in your future ability to practice while respecting the patient's background!

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

The Inner Machinations of my mind are an enigma
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just in for my every-other-week check in - anyone with an IA get a secondary?

Oct 11, 2018
Just in for my every-other-week check in - anyone with an IA get a secondary?
I was on academic probation in college and got a secondary. Not sure if this counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alco_Palco

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
Got an II today. Hang in there guys, the process is so stretched.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether to buy the plane ticket leaving LA for the day of the interview - or do people stay an extra day after the interview and leave in the morning?
Depends on what times are available for your flights...

Jul 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
what was your mcat?

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Got an II today. Hang in there guys, the process is so stretched.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether to buy the plane ticket leaving LA for the day of the interview - or do people stay an extra day after the interview and leave in the morning?

Im flying out the night of my interview. Got that lovely red-eye and then straight to work from the airport :)

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Im flying out the night of my interview. Got that lovely red-eye and then straight to work from the airport :)
I just did this on my flight back from LA (not an Interview, but still) 10/10 would avoid if possible lol

Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I just did this on my flight back from LA (not an Interview, but still) 10/10 would avoid if possible lol
Oh it is terrible! I did it from Utah on vacation two weeks ago. and will do it again the following week. Let's just say my boss is not happy with my application success and is forcing these red-eyes

Aug 13, 2018
California
Status
Pre-Medical
What’s your MCAT if you don’t mind? I also have a subpar MCAT, in my opinion and I was just wondering lol
on my signature (512) lol. I also go to UCLA for undergrad but that probably makes 0 difference

Jul 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
on my signature (512) lol. I also go to UCLA for undergrad but that probably makes 0 difference
that gpa though... congrats! i also have a 512 but way lower gpa

Reactions: chemtime