2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So jealous of you guys. I wont hear back from here until December. :(

Why December?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
best of luck to you all (even the lurkers!- I see you too :)

II today!!! Holy crap did not expect this one coming with my mediocre MCAT score and no gap year taken! Submitted 7/15

Anyone know what the odds are of getting in at this stage? (I know its hard to tell but just based on statistics)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats, I believe post-II acceptance rates are around 40% IS, 50% OOS

If this is legit (and I saw those same numbers of MSAR today as well)...
I am SHOOK.

Skimming/rounding from MSAR
Total applications: 14,000
Verified IS (6000), OOS (8000)
Interview 300 , 300
Total accept ~300

Reactions: 1 users
If this is legit (and I saw those same numbers of MSAR today as well)...
I am SHOOK.

Skimming/rounding from MSAR
Total applications: 14,000
Verified IS (6000), OOS (8000)
Interview 300 , 300
Total accept ~300
Why are you shook?

not sure, this google doc:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9Aas9pu04qa9GJx-RZMEj_WYzvesd-JQ_y592-2pBI/edit?usp=sharing
More OOS applicants AND OOS had a higher post-II acceptance rate? That's bonkers. As a Californian, I don't like this one bit hah. Is this just from one year, or is this a trend that happens annually?

Members don't see this ad :)
no idea. similar excel spreadsheets from further in the past post completely different stats ~35% acceptance rates. But I think UCLA has made some changes in recent years where they interview less people? idk.
Interesting. I still think there should be more of an IS preference for UCs than there currently is. I get that they want OOS students because they pay more, but still!

@Laix or anyone else, any thoughts on how UCLA views reapplicants? I interviewed here early in the cycle last year and thought the interview went really well (but...subjective viewpoint means almost nothing), but obv was not accepted. I did not have much clinical experience, and I think that's what hurt me (was told this by other schools). Have added a couple hundred hours of meaningful experience, and significant application rewrite, but no word from UCLA so far. Are they hard on reapplicants?

Deep dark fear that I somehow stuck both feet in my mouth during the interview last year and didn't even realize it and now they are blacklisting my application... :depressed:

no idea. similar excel spreadsheets from further in the past post completely different stats ~35% acceptance rates. But I think UCLA has made some changes in recent years where they interview less people? idk.

Those #'s are wrong based on last year though, as you mentioned. Last year they interviewed 330 in state and 300 OOS. If it was 520 IS, then 38% would make a lot more sense. If I had to guess, I'd think they accept 270-300 of the ~650. So a 40-45% acceptance post II.

How does UCLA choose people to interview? I really have no clue how I got II... Feeling really insecure about my MCAT lol

• Love
@Laix or anyone else, any thoughts on how UCLA views reapplicants? I interviewed here early in the cycle last year and thought the interview went really well (but...subjective viewpoint means almost nothing), but obv was not accepted. I did not have much clinical experience, and I think that's what hurt me (was told this by other schools). Have added a couple hundred hours of meaningful experience, and significant application rewrite, but no word from UCLA so far. Are they hard on reapplicants?

Deep dark fear that I somehow stuck both feet in my mouth during the interview last year and didn't even realize it and now they are blacklisting my application... :depressed:

I have no clue for re-applicant... I know UCLA is big on patient-centered practice though.

How does UCLA choose people to interview? I really have no clue how I got II... Feeling really insecure about my MCAT lol
What’s your MCAT if you don’t mind? I also have a subpar MCAT, in my opinion and I was just wondering lol

I felt the same way last year!! They are really big on patient-centered practices, so they must see potentials in your future ability to practice while respecting the patient's background!

• Love
Just in for my every-other-week check in - anyone with an IA get a secondary?

• Sad
Just in for my every-other-week check in - anyone with an IA get a secondary?

I was on academic probation in college and got a secondary. Not sure if this counts.

Last edited:
Got an II today. Hang in there guys, the process is so stretched.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether to buy the plane ticket leaving LA for the day of the interview - or do people stay an extra day after the interview and leave in the morning?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Got an II today. Hang in there guys, the process is so stretched.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether to buy the plane ticket leaving LA for the day of the interview - or do people stay an extra day after the interview and leave in the morning?
Depends on what times are available for your flights...

Im flying out the night of my interview. Got that lovely red-eye and then straight to work from the airport :)
I just did this on my flight back from LA (not an Interview, but still) 10/10 would avoid if possible lol

I just did this on my flight back from LA (not an Interview, but still) 10/10 would avoid if possible lol

Oh it is terrible! I did it from Utah on vacation two weeks ago. and will do it again the following week. Let's just say my boss is not happy with my application success and is forcing these red-eyes

What’s your MCAT if you don’t mind? I also have a subpar MCAT, in my opinion and I was just wondering lol

on my signature (512) lol. I also go to UCLA for undergrad but that probably makes 0 difference

on my signature (512) lol. I also go to UCLA for undergrad but that probably makes 0 difference

You have 5 IIs, there must be something great about your app. If you don’t mind me asking, do you think you have any special “wow factors”?

You have 5 IIs, there must be something great about your app. If you don’t mind me asking, do you think you have any special “wow factors”?
The wow factor is he/she is a world class master. Just look at the name.

Attachments

• 901E0BB4-39E0-49FB-8E22-B1D320D8AD72.png
    901E0BB4-39E0-49FB-8E22-B1D320D8AD72.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 64

I thought the 5 IIs was due to casting the net very broadly and applying to 44 schools lol. I don't really think i have "wow factors"? or maybe I'm just too critical of myself. I have 2 basic science pubs and a presentation at a professional conference might be the most "wow factor"? However my app is focused mostly on serving the community rather than academic medicine so i have no clue lol

I thought the 5 IIs was due to casting the net very broadly and applying to 44 schools lol. I don't really think i have "wow factors"? or maybe I'm just too critical of myself. I have 2 basic science pubs and a presentation at a professional conference might be the most "wow factor"? However my app is focused mostly on serving the community rather than academic medicine so i have no clue lol

It might be because you are applying broadly. However, I still think there is something unique about you, which earned you the UCLA II.

Thanks for sharing. Just trying to see where I'm lacking compared to those drowning in T20 IIs (I know this is taboo on SDN but whatever lol)

Congrats! When were you complete?

It might be because you are applying broadly. However, I still think there is something unique about you, which earned you the UCLA II.

Thanks for sharing. Just trying to see where I'm lacking compared to those drowning in T20 IIs (I know this is taboo on SDN but whatever lol)

This one is actually my first T20! So don't worry, still early in the cycle! Lets be patient together :)

Oh it is terrible! I did it from Utah on vacation two weeks ago. and will do it again the following week. Let's just say my boss is not happy with my application success and is forcing these red-eyes

Wait that's terrible!! Why is he/she not happy with your application success?

Wait that's terrible!! Why is he/she not happy with your application success?
Because employers want their employees to not be absent from work regardless of reasoning. Their boss is likely happy for their success, but unhappy that one of their employees needs to miss so much work.

That is how the professional world works....

Because employers want their employees to not be absent from work regardless of reasoning. Their boss is likely happy for their success, but unhappy that one of their employees needs to miss so much work.

That is how the professional world works....

I think it's also a luck of the draw. I have been grateful to have a mentor who is understanding and extremely supportive (even for people escaping academia for the private sector/consulting/biotech/finance etc) but I realize that not all are the same. Do agree that bosses have other obligations/deadline to meet and so wince at the thought of students missing a lot of work. To each their own I suppose!

My boss is an MD and while hasnt specifically stated she is mad about my missing work, she did ask “is this going to continue past september????” she then followed that with “i guess its important what medical school you go to.” So idk. Either way, i feel bad about it. Wish I was not working so I could be completely happy about each new II i get and not worry about my stupid boss. (Sorry for the vent lol)

Wow that is beyond lukewarm/bad vibes. "I GUESS it could potentially alter the trajectory of your life" is what that sounds like to me.
But yes, think of each new II as an opportunity to delve into a brighter future. Best of luck this cycle

I’m a current MS1 and was a reapplicant. I didn’t interview at UCLA during my first cycle so I can’t speak to that part, but I will say being a reapplicant didn’t even come up in my interview. I personally know of 1 other reapplicant who is also a current MS1. Not sure if there are a ton of us but we do exist!

I will say for both of us though that we had pretty big changes from our first application cycle to our more recent one. I think UCLA is amenable to reapps if you can show growth from one cycle to the next. Hope that helps a bit - feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.