2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the interview packets, it said decisions would begin in October and everyone will receive an update by the end of December (assuming your interview wasn't too close to the end of December). Aside from last year, they have typically sent out two waves in October (17th-18th & towards the end of the month).

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
In the interview packets, it said decisions would begin in October and everyone will receive an update by the end of December (assuming your interview wasn't too close to the end of December). Aside from last year, they have typically sent out two waves in October (17th-18th & towards the end of the month).
I heard this was changed last year where they make a decision but hold it until December. I hope I am wrong because all of my information is hearsay of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard this was changed last year where they make a decision but hold it until December. I hope I am wrong because all of my information is hearsay of course.
Could definitely be the case, but I think last year was more a function of the fact that they changed the interview process.

it’s all speculation, but I think you are most correct. Unlikely they interview people mid-Sept and come back to a decision on them in December but you never know. Most adcoms make the decision when the knowledge is fresh. And judging by last year we won’t hear back til December

Dang so I got worked up about Oct 15 for nothing it seems :(

• Sad
Do they send everyone post-interview emails from a current student? I love this school and the access to resources they provide!

i was about to get super sad then i realized my brain supplied "pre" instead of "post" lol smh @ me

thanks everyone who provided interview feedback!! i appreciate y'all

Yeah I am not buying it.

So I'm deleting the original post because this made me super anxious. I truly did get the email but I don't even believe it myself because its been such a dream of mine. Even though I've signed something, I guess I'll wait until I hear others getting theirs. It still feels like it could be fake and taken away from me at any minute. This is why I've avoided posting for so long. That was my first post ever lmao. I think I need a break from the forums

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
So I'm deleting the original post because this made me super anxious. I truly did get the email but I don't even believe it myself because its been such a dream of mine. Even though I've signed something, I guess I'll wait until I hear others getting theirs. It still feels like it could be fake and taken away from me at any minute

Do not let randos on sdn bring you down!! You have no obligation to validate your acceptance to others. This is huge, congratulations!! It’s 100% not fake if you got an email notifying of a status change, etc. Evidently YOU earned this. Go celebrate w your people!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not let randos on sdn bring you down!! You have no obligation to validate your acceptance to others. This is huge, congratulations!! It’s 100% not fake if you got an email notifying of a status change, etc. Evidently YOU earned this. Go celebrate w your people!

Thanks for all who reached out in support. This process is hard enough, and as a reapplicant, I've been in it long enough to feel all the anxieties of it. So instead of being stressed and upset about one person who wanted to bring me down, I'm going to give gratitude to those who offered support and give it back to everyone else here. If you've already interviewed I hope you hear back positively soon, and if you still have one coming up, GOOD LUCK! We got this!

Reactions: 13 users
Thanks for all who reached out in support. This process is hard enough, and as a reapplicant, I've been in it long enough to feel all the anxieties of it. So instead of being stressed and upset about one person who wanted to bring me down, I'm going to give gratitude to those who offered support and give it back to everyone else here. If you've already interviewed I hope you hear back positively soon, and if you still have one coming up, GOOD LUCK! We got this!

Huge congratulations to you!! Did you receive a phone call or portal update along with the email? I know their II decision wasn’t reflected on the admissions portal.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a hard rejection today for the MD/PhD. Good luck everyone!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Huge congratulations to you!! Did you receive a phone call or portal update along with the email? I know their II decision wasn’t reflected on the admissions portal.

Yes! The email just said that the portal had been updated, so when I logged in I saw the decision. And underneath the acceptance letter there is a link to sign an admission acceptance form. I also had to call because I've had some glitches in the portal where the deposit link isn't coming up, and admissions has said they are working on getting it straightened out, in case anyone else is experiencing that!

Honestly, if I had received the response you did I would have just laughed and moved on. Lol. If I had been accepted I would certainly not care about validation. Huge congratulations to you. That is incredible. Really hoping to join you, but my stats are meh and really unsure about how my interview day on 10/4 went.

For those that interviewed in the morning session, what time were you finished?

MD/PhD applicant here. If my application status changed from "awaiting decision" to "decided" but there is no change in the portal pre-II, does this mean I'm done?

• Wow
MD/PhD applicant here. If my application status changed from "awaiting decision" to "decided" but there is no change in the portal pre-II, does this mean I'm done?

Hmmm... not sure how helpful this is, but I applied two cycles ago and was not accepted. There was no wording after the "Application status for [Name]."

If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Hmmm... not sure how helpful this is, but I applied two cycles ago and was not accepted. There was no wording after the "Application status for [Name]."

If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Didn’t interview yet...I’m pre-II

Didn’t interview yet...I’m pre-II

Ah, I misinterpreted your post. My b. However, I was denied pre-II two cycles ago.

I think it's fair to wait until mid-next week, and if you still haven't received an update, shoot admissions a call.

Has anyone besides the poster above heard post-interview news yet? I'm wondering when us early-October interview folks might start hearing news. They said by the end of December we would have something, but I imagine they've actually made the decision already or will very soon.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone besides the poster above heard post-interview news yet? I'm wondering when us early-October interview folks might start hearing news. They said by the end of December we would have something, but I imagine they've actually made the decision already or will very soon.
No news here either but based on threads from cycles before last years transition to MMI, I think it could be about 4-8 weeks from our interview date or December as they said on interview day. Just a hunch though so take it for what it is lol.

Also have my portal updated to "Decided"... we weren't in the rejection wave last week so maybe it's good news?

• Wow
No news here either but based on threads from cycles before last years transition to MMI, I think it could be about 4-8 weeks from our interview date or December as they said on interview day. Just a hunch though so take it for what it is lol.

I interviewed mid Sep and I still haven’t received an update on my application status. I’m just assuming they will start releasing decisions in December (for my own sanity).

I interviewed mid Sep and I still haven’t received an update on my application status. I’m just assuming they will start releasing decisions in December (for my own sanity).
I was told by an M4 that they don’t release decisions until December so idk what to believe after this one person got an acceptance.

Hey all! For those of you that have already interviewed, do you have any tips or advice for those of us that haven’t interviewed yet?

Hey all! For those of you that have already interviewed, do you have any tips or advice for those of us that haven’t interviewed yet?
Honestly, my only tip is be yourself and relax! It was a fairly laid back interview experience and you really get a feel for the “family” type atmosphere of the school! If you’re a girl, avoid heels if possible because we had 2 incidents where people’s shoes came off from getting stuck in bricks lol

Apologies in advance for the anxiety-inducing post, but I’m too excited not to share. ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed in October, IS reapp, non-trad, notified of acceptance via phone call earlier today. Best of luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Apologies in advance for the anxiety-inducing post, but I’m too excited not to share. ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed in October, IS reapp, non-trad, notified of acceptance via phone call earlier today. Best of luck to everyone!
congratulations!

Did you ever get an email?

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is so exciting!!!

Well that answers my question from yesterday I guess lol. Congratulations!

Congrats!!! If you don't mind, what were your stats?

Did you ever get an email?
No email yet and no portal change. Just a call and was told the portal would reflect the offer within the next week or two. I will post when my portal changes. Last year it seemed like some people received calls pre-email/portal change and some just had a portal change with no call. I'm guessing it will be variable again this year.

Edit: @jboogie500 Portal header changed from "Awaiting Decision" to "Decided". However, no attachments or additional tabs have appeared.

Last edited:
No email yet and no portal change. Just a call and was told the portal would reflect the offer within the next week or two. I will post when my portal changes. Last year it seemed like some people received calls pre-email/portal change and some just had a portal change with no call. I'm guessing it will be variable again this year.

Attention 919 area code spam callers: this is NOT the time to toy with me...

Reactions: 4 users