2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are y'all printing out, signing, and scanning? I just signed it on a PDF?
I have no idea there were literally no directions. Is this our first test as med students????????

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone who completed the WL form get a confirmation response via email of your answers? Haven’t gotten mine yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys...quick neurotic q. I became a part time student for my final semester and didn’t notify Cornell that I was doing so. Was this something that I had to/should do? No where in my application did I say that I would be a full time student in the spring. Just trying not to get my A rescinded.

• Haha
Hey guys...quick neurotic q. I became a part time student for my final semester and didn’t notify Cornell that I was doing so. Was this something that I had to/should do? No where in my application did I say that I would be a full time student in the spring. Just trying not to get my A rescinded.

You will be good!

“Business owners must include applicable forms: Schedule C, E, forms K-1, 1120-S, 1065, 4562, etc.” does anyone know what the etc. accounts for. I literally know nothing about taxes

“Business owners must include applicable forms: Schedule C, E, forms K-1, 1120-S, 1065, 4562, etc.” does anyone know what the etc. accounts for. I literally know nothing about taxes
All attachments besides the 1040. Pretty much all pages of your taxes is my best guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there really not going to be any kind of group made like FB group/slack until after April 30th? I'd definitely appreciate some kind of open discussion to talk with current students about my questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Is there really not going to be any kind of group made like FB group/slack until after April 30th? I'd definitely appreciate some kind of open discussion to talk with current students about my questions!

I saw that previous years had FB groups that were created in mid-March so there could be if the current students/admins decide to....

I think the rational behind changing it for last year (at least what I heard from an upperclassman) was that they wanted to limit the FB group to matriculating students because the group continues into the school year as a place for social stuff/info/etc. I guess to make it more like an official WCM class of XXXX page rather than a group for all admits.

Since in-person second look is cancelled I’m not sure whether the admissions office will decide to do it differently this year, but you could reach out to ask? We haven’t gotten the details yet but they’re planning a virtual second look which I imagine will also give you an opportunity to learn about the school and talk to current students. In your interview packets I think you might have also gotten a sheet with some students’ info and emails in case you are interested in specific things people are involved in—or even have general questions about whatever.

You’ll probably be getting more info about the virtual second look soon, but in the mean time feel free to reach out to me (or any of my lurking classmates cuz I know at least a couple are here) if you have questions related to student life, the curriculum, etc

I'm not URM but got an email about the Dean's Diversity Scholarship? Anyone else get this? Any current students can chime in about it?

Reactions: 3 users
I think the rational behind changing it for last year (at least what I heard from an upperclassman) was that they wanted to limit the FB group to matriculating students because the group continues into the school year as a place for social stuff/info/etc. I guess to make it more like an official WCM class of XXXX page rather than a group for all admits.

Since in-person second look is cancelled I’m not sure whether the admissions office will decide to do it differently this year, but you could reach out to ask? We haven’t gotten the details yet but they’re planning a virtual second look which I imagine will also give you an opportunity to learn about the school and talk to current students. In your interview packets I think you might have also gotten a sheet with some students’ info and emails in case you are interested in specific things people are involved in—or even have general questions about whatever.

You’ll probably be getting more info about the virtual second look soon, but in the mean time feel free to reach out to me (or any of my lurking classmates cuz I know at least a couple are here) if you have questions related to student life, the curriculum, etc

I definitely understand that reasoning, but I think it'd be super welcomed to start facilitating discussion/introductions between prospective students and current students to at least get a feel of who our potential classmates may be (especially with second look moving to online). Not sure if Cornell has any MS1 representatives that could facilitate something like this? Thanks for being responsive on this forum!

I'm not URM but got an email about the Dean's Diversity Scholarship? Anyone else get this? Any current students can chime in about it?

+1. Not URM but also got the Deans Diversity Scholarship email! The email was vague and couldn’t find much information about it online.. Any insight would be appreciated!!

+1. Not URM but also got the Deans Diversity Scholarship email! The email was vague and couldn’t find much information about it online.. Any insight would be appreciated!!
Sounded like a need based scholarship

anyone else feel insensitive emailing the admissions office right now with all of this covid chaos going on? i'm scared of being judged as selfish for worrying about my app during the current situation, especially in NY...

I definitely understand that reasoning, but I think it'd be super welcomed to start facilitating discussion/introductions between prospective students and current students to at least get a feel of who our potential classmates may be (especially with second look moving to online). Not sure if Cornell has any MS1 representatives that could facilitate something like this? Thanks for being responsive on this forum!
Totally get where you’re coming from. I doubt Cornell will leave you in the dust and make you decide on a school without the opportunity to talk to students. The admissions office and M1 reps are working hard to plan the online second look right now, so I’d wait until then to see if you can get connected with students as you need. It’s just that the situation is a little hectic and unpredictable (about a week and a half ago, student groups were still discussing in person second look activities and living in the dorms), so things might be moving a little slower than ideal.

Not a URM, but was one of many to receive one of the initial emails last year. (I think the email was sent to most people). To be considered for it all you have to do is submit all of your financial aid materials online since it does look for people with demonstrated financial need. I think only 1 or 2 students receive it every year though (have no idea who got it in our class), but that’s all I know sorry haha

Totally get where you’re coming from. I doubt Cornell will leave you in the dust and make you decide on a school without the opportunity to talk to students. The admissions office and M1 reps are working hard to plan the online second look right now, so I’d wait until then to see if you can get connected with students as you need. It’s just that the situation is a little hectic and unpredictable (about a week and a half ago, student groups were still discussing in person second look activities and living in the dorms), so things might be moving a little slower than ideal.

Not a URM, but was one of many to receive one of the initial emails last year. (I think the email was sent to most people). To be considered for it all you have to do is submit all of your financial aid materials online since it does look for people with demonstrated financial need. I think only 1 or 2 students receive it every year though (have no idea who got it in our class), but that’s all I know sorry haha
With regards to the scholarship, if you had a high need for financial aid, couldn’t you technically get full tuition anyway without necessarily getting the scholarship?

With regards to the scholarship, if you had a high need for financial aid, couldn’t you technically get full tuition anyway without necessarily getting the scholarship?
Yeah especially with debt-free Cornell’s financial aid is already pretty generous, so not sure how that’s taken into account

Reactions: 1 users
When Cornell releases their match list can someone post the link. Working, but interested

I thought I read somewhere that the student's SSN has to be written on the top of all submitted tax returns but now I can't find where it said that. Is that true or am I confusing it with something else?

I thought I read somewhere that the student's SSN has to be written on the top of all submitted tax returns but now I can't find where it said that. Is that true or am I confusing it with something else?
Uh... oops.

Is this a thing?

• Hmm
Are we required to do the loan entrance counseling and promissory note by the March 27th deadline?

Any accepted second semester seniors thinking of going p/f? I know it’s courteous to contact admissions to get the ok but I can’t imagine the stress they’re going thru rn.

Any accepted second semester seniors thinking of going p/f? I know it’s courteous to contact admissions to get the ok but I can’t imagine the stress they’re going thru rn.
Just shoot them an email. If they have bigger fish to fry then they will ignore you but at least you have a paper trail.

Aren’t a lot of schools going p/f anyway for the semester?

As long as their not pre-reqs, I doubt cornell will care.

Aren’t a lot of schools going p/f anyway for the semester?

As long as their not pre-reqs, I doubt cornell will care.
Yea they are. That’s why I’m wondering if it’s even necessary to send the email lol. I really thought my neuroticism would go away post A

2020 Match list =o

Anesthesiology
BIDMH
WashU
Duke
Mt Sinai
Mt Sinai
MGH
UCSF
Yale
Columbia
Columbia
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
NYU
OHSU
UWash

Dermatology
Yale
UCLA
UCI
Suny

Emergency
BIDMH-Harvard
Maimonides
Columbia & Cornell
NYU
SUNY
Temple

Family med
Contra costa
Institute for family Health
Columbia
OHSU
SUNY
Jefferson
U-illinois

Gen Surg
Cornell
Cornell
Inova
Einstein
U-florida
Miami
U-Chicago

Internal medicine
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
MGH
MGH
Stanford
Stanford
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
UCLA
Sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Pitt
Einstein
Einstein
Darthmouth
Hackensack
NYU

Medicine-Pediatrics
Penn

Med-primary care
Jefferson
UCSF
UCLA
UCLA

Neurosurgery
Cornell
Cornell
Vanderbilt

Neurology
Columbia
NYU

Obgyn
Brigham-Harvard
Emory

Ophthalmology
Duke
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell

Ortho
Hospital for special surgery

ENT
Hopkins
Rush

Peds-neurology
UCSF
Phx childrens

PEDS
Childrens hospital boston
CHOP
Washu
Utah

PMR
Columbia & Cornell

Plastics
Cleveland clinic
Pitt

Psych
BIDMH-Harvard
Mt sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Jefferson

Radiation Oncology
MGH
Memorial Sloan Kettering

Radiology
Emory
Cornell
Lenox Hill

Urology
Baylor
Mt Sinai
Northwestern

Attachments

• Match List by Specialty Deidentified 2020.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
2020 Match list =o

Anesthesiology
BIDMH
WashU
Duke
Mt Sinai
Mt Sinai
MGH
UCSF
Yale
Columbia
Columbia
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
NYU
OHSU
UWash

Dermatology
Yale
UCLA
UCI
Suny

Emergency
BIDMH-Harvard
Maimonides
Columbia & Cornell
NYU
SUNY
Temple

Family med
Contra costa
Institute for family Health
Columbia
OHSU
SUNY
Jefferson
U-illinois

Gen Surg
Cornell
Cornell
Inova
Einstein
U-florida
Miami
U-Chicago

Internal medicine
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
MGH
MGH
Stanford
Stanford
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
UCLA
Sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Pitt
Einstein
Einstein
Darthmouth
Hackensack
NYU

Medicine-Pediatrics
Penn

Med-primary care
Jefferson
UCSF
UCLA
UCLA

Neurosurgery
Cornell
Cornell
Vanderbilt

Neurology
Columbia
NYU

Obgyn
Brigham-Harvard
Emory

Ophthalmology
Duke
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell

Ortho
Hospital for special surgery

ENT
Hopkins
Rush

Peds-neurology
UCSF
Phx childrens

PEDS
Childrens hospital boston
CHOP
Washu
Utah

PMR
Columbia & Cornell

Plastics
Cleveland clinic
Pitt

Psych
BIDMH-Harvard
Mt sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Jefferson

Radiation Oncology
MGH
Memorial Sloan Kettering

Radiology
Emory
Cornell
Lenox Hill

Urology
Baylor
Mt Sinai
Northwestern

Cornell seems to have a pretty low # of competitive speciality matches, doesn't it? 1 ortho? Any current students have a comment on this?

Cornell seems to have a pretty low # of competitive speciality matches, doesn't it? 1 ortho? Any current students have a comment on this?
That’s because only one person in the class of 2020 was interested in Ortho, who happened to match at the #1 ortho residency. No one is holding a gun to our heads to pursue competitive specialties. That said, If you look at the actual specialties, we matched at mostly top programs. AFAIK matching MGH for internal medicine the same level of competitiveness as matching HSS ortho or Memorial sloan for Rad-Onc. Also, our MD class size is basically 85 with 20-30% doing a research year, vs most other schools with 170-200 students.

Reactions: 4 users
That’s because only one person in the class of 2020 was interested in Ortho, who happened to match at the #1 ortho residency. No one is holding a gun to our heads to pursue competitive specialties. If you look at the actual specialties, we matched at mostly top programs. AFAIK matching MGH for internal medicine the same level of competitiveness as matching HSS ortho or Memorial sloan for Rad-Onc.
That’s really reassuring to hear. I was kinda seeing that same trend and was unsure what to think.

That’s really reassuring to hear. I was kinda seeing that same trend and was unsure what to think.

I edited/added to my previous comment but another thing to consider is that our class size is relatively small compared to most other med schools; ~85 MD students, ~15 MD/pHD vs Columbia w/ ~170, Case ~180. So you wont typically see 20 ppl matching ortho because that would be >20% of our class matching into ortho, but If you were to take the % of students going to x speciality it’s pretty much the same as all the other schools.

tldr: our match list is amazing.

• Love
Another question for current students: do the weekly quizzes take away from being able to enjoy the weekend? Are students always in study mode bc of them?

Another question for current students: do the weekly quizzes take away from being able to enjoy the weekend? Are students always in study mode bc of them?
No, its p/f. Unless you procrastinate, weekends shouldn't be bad even with the monday quiz. Biweekly/weekly quizzes reduce the procrastination and make the content manageable ;)