2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, its p/f. Unless you procrastinate, weekends shouldn't be bad even with the monday quiz. Biweekly/weekly quizzes reduce the procrastination and make the content manageable ;)
To follow up with that question, are the quizzes consistently on Fridays? Or does it kind of vary between Fridays/Mondays? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cornell seems to have a pretty low # of competitive speciality matches, doesn't it? 1 ortho? Any current students have a comment on this?

Its cause they all saw the light and went on the other side of the drapes. so many matching into anesthesia :O

Reactions: 2 users
Its cause they all saw the light and went on the other side of the drapes. so many matching into anesthesia :O
Pardon my lack of knowledge but is there something about anesthesiology that makes it so popular?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Pardon my lack of knowledge but is there something about anesthesiology that makes it so popular?

ROAD to success!
Radiology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology

Basically, well paying and the specialties traditionally to be known as "lax"

ROAD to success!
Radiology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology

Basically, well paying and the specialties traditionally to be known as "lax"
Damn good to know this lol. Where do I get educated on **** like this. Might as well now that I’m stuck at home

I mean I could go on for hours and not sure if this is serious but generally, its pretty all encompassing. Turns out we won't get much exposure in medical school though, unless you do an elective its generally just one week during the surgery rotations.

Get to do a bunch of procedures - lines, tubes, blocks, epidurals, etc.
Gotta know medicine stuff - you are the medicine docs of the OR.
Gotta know some surgery and get to be a part of all different kinds of surgery
like kids? pediatrics is a fellowship option and all anesthesiologists are trained for kids (those without fellowship training are just not comfortable below a certain age)
Want to completely focus on life and family when your not at work? once you're home, you are truly home, no patients to worry about.
You do things that actually and acutely save lives: best in hospital at getting invasive access/intubating/running codes.
Want more patient interaction than in the OR? You can:
- do a critical care fellowship and take care of lung/heart transplant, etc patients in the ICU
- do a pain fellowship and have your own practice/patients you see longitudinally
- Do OB and get to positively impact the birth experience (if you are good with people)
I think the best part is that even if you do a fellowship you can still do a bit of everything.
ex) 2 days on OB, 2 days main OR, 1 day admin or non clinical per week ....or.... 1 week ICU per month, rest is main OR ... or... generalist OR person

I wouldn't say anesthesia is lax though, for the docs I know (academics) their days are usually 630a-4p 5 days a week and then call. Private practice makes more but you work alot more.

Reactions: 3 users
Has Cornell sent out the accepted email yet? I got the email last week saying that they are going to email their acceptances, but I haven't seen anything sent out yet. I want to make sure that I haven't missed anything

Has Cornell sent out the accepted email yet? I got the email last week saying that they are going to email their acceptances, but I haven't seen anything sent out yet. I want to make sure that I haven't missed anything

Still waiting as well

I have a few financial questions that hopefully some current students can answer:
1- I know there is only financial need aid, but does Cornell attempt to even match any merit aid from other schools?
2- What is the formula for financial aid. Like percentage of parent income, or after how much do you get how much (e.g. after $200k family income you dont get any aid or very little, etc.
3- How is financial need assessed upon changing. Like having a increased or reduced income in the next 2 years due to changing to jobs that get paid more or losing your job, etc.

I definitely understand that reasoning, but I think it'd be super welcomed to start facilitating discussion/introductions between prospective students and current students to at least get a feel of who our potential classmates may be (especially with second look moving to online). Not sure if Cornell has any MS1 representatives that could facilitate something like this? Thanks for being responsive on this forum!

Also @25thBaam and anyone else who was wondering before: Not sure if you've gotten the update yet but a FB group should be up in the next 1-2 weeks for all of y'all and the M1 reps are working on ways to have virtual group chats/hangout sessions with smaller groups of current students and admits as well so you'll have plenty of opportunities to ask any questions you have

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Also @25thBaam and anyone else who was wondering before: Not sure if you've gotten the update yet but a FB group should be up in the next 1-2 weeks for all of y'all and the M1 reps are working on ways to have virtual group chats/hangout sessions with smaller groups of current students and admits as well so you'll have plenty of opportunities to ask any questions you have

Thank you so much for the update!

Hey guys, does anyone know when we should expect to see any waitlist movement?

I saw this question on another thread and i liked it so I'm going to ask it here as well.

To all of the current students on this thread: Could you give me your bullet point pitch for why I should go to Cornell over every other med school?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea of how many people are on the WL and how much movement there is? Debating on writing a letter of intent but unsure how fruitful that would be.

“Please do not be concerned if you do not receive your e-mail immediately. The process will take some time, as the letters are specific to individual applicants and are being sent out as individual e-mails”
LOL they just @ all of us neurotic SDNers

Reactions: 2 users
In a very non-suspicious manner: Does anyone know when Cornell drug tests?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I have a few financial questions that hopefully some current students can answer:
1- I know there is only financial need aid, but does Cornell attempt to even match any merit aid from other schools?
2- What is the formula for financial aid. Like percentage of parent income, or after how much do you get how much (e.g. after $200k family income you dont get any aid or very little, etc.
3- How is financial need assessed upon changing. Like having a increased or reduced income in the next 2 years due to changing to jobs that get paid more or losing your job, etc.
First of all, I am just a student and do not speak for the school and what I am say does not reflect WCM's opinion yada yada yada..

1. Idk if things have changed from when I applied--heavily doubt it--, but what I found from personal experience or close relative/friend is basically every single top-20 school except Columbia, that say's they're need-based only do in-fact offer merit scholarships. Maybe it's need based + We "need you" to come here based. So in that regard shoot your shot; (disclaimer: It probably won't work as in every instance of this the school approached the med student first). Some of my mentee's from this cycle who very clearly don't qualify for need based aid, have received full tuition "aid" to UCSF, Mayo etc. Pls don't @ me with tips etc, since it'll just get overwhelming.

2. Do not quote me on this but afaik your parents can earn up 200k+ and still qualify for financial aid; My parents are engineers and NP's + I made ~70k during my gap year(s) and still get almost full COA in grants. I'm not sure if they've sent it out yet but you can go based of your EFC; If your EFC is say $5000, then you would receive $85,000 in grants/scholarship and you'd be expected to come up with the remaining $5k (either through parents, institutional loans (super low interest loans that do not acquire interest till after residency), or federal loans.
  • Fin aid is assessed on you and your families tax information two years prior. Should anything have drastically changed that isn't reflected in your returns, you can bring it up with fin-aid and they adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
First of all, I am just a student and do not speak for the school and what I am say does not reflect WCM's opinion yada yada yada..

1. Idk if things have changed from when I applied--heavily doubt it--, but what I found from personal experience or close relative/friend is basically every single top-20 school except Columbia, that say's they're need-based only do in-fact offer merit scholarships. Maybe it's need based + We "need you" to come here based. So in that regard shoot your shot; (disclaimer: It probably won't work as in every instance of this the school approached the med student first).

2. Do not quote me on this but afaik your parents can earn up 200k+ and still qualify for financial aid; My parents make >100k and I made ~70k during my gap year(s) and still get almost full COA in grants. I'm not sure if they've sent it out yet but you can go based of your EFC; If your EFC is say $5000, then you would receive $85,000 in grants/scholarship and you'd be expected to come up with the remaining $5k (either through parents, institutional loans (super low interest loans that do not acquire interest till after residency), or federal loans.
  • Fin aid is assessed on you and your families tax information two years prior. Should anything have drastically changed that isn't reflected in your returns, you can bring it up with fin-aid and they adjust accordingly.

Did your EFC turn out to be close to the FAFSA estimate? I'm guessing they use some combo of the CSS PROFILE/FAFSA. This is really helpful thanks! The office said fin aid packages begin dispersing in early April :)

Did your EFC turn out to be close to the FAFSA estimate? I'm guessing they use some combo of the CSS PROFILE/FAFSA. This is really helpful thanks! The office said fin aid packages begin dispersing in early April :)
I honestly don't remember but it's based on CSS I believe.

1. Idk if things have changed from when I applied--heavily doubt it--, but what I found from personal experience or close relative/friend is basically every single top-20 school except Columbia, that say's they're need-based only do in-fact offer merit scholarships. Maybe it's need based + We "need you" to come here based. So in that regard shoot your shot; (disclaimer: It probably won't work as in every instance of this the school approached the med student first). Some of my mentee's from this cycle who very clearly don't qualify for need based aid, have received full tuition "aid" to UCSF, Mayo etc. Pls don't @ me with tips etc, since it'll just get overwhelming.

2. Do not quote me on this but afaik your parents can earn up 200k+ and still qualify for financial aid; My parents are engineers and NP's + I made ~70k during my gap year(s) and still get almost full COA in grants. I'm not sure if they've sent it out yet but you can go based of your EFC; If your EFC is say $5000, then you would receive $85,000 in grants/scholarship and you'd be expected to come up with the remaining $5k (either through parents, institutional loans (super low interest loans that do not acquire interest till after residency), or federal loans.
Thanks a lot! That really helped.

How is the school handling the rise of COVID-19 for students? Einstein and NYU have taken action, and the other NYC schools are bound to follow up...

Does anyone have the link to the list of AOC's? I can't find it and all I see is the description of the program and the video.

Does anyone happen to know how strict Cornell is with the writing class requirements? I’m pretty sure I fulfilled the one in the humanities or social sciences with a Phil class but I’m worried about the one focusing on English-language literature. I placed out of Lang with AP credit but I did take an expository writing and a rhetoric class. This quarantine is just making me overthink right?

Not sure if this has been asked already, but could any current students explain how exams/assessments work here? Are they multiple choice, nbme-style questions or short response? Weekly quizzes, block exams, both? What goes into your grade for a block? Also, are lectures recorded?
Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know how strict Cornell is with the writing class requirements? I’m pretty sure I fulfilled the one in the humanities or social sciences with a Phil class but I’m worried about the one focusing on English-language literature. I placed out of Lang with AP credit but I did take an expository writing and a rhetoric class. This quarantine is just making me overthink right?
I'm in almost the exact same situation so I talked with the director of admissions over the phone the other day. She said my persuasive writing/rhetoric class is fine!

Not sure if this has been asked already, but could any current students explain how exams/assessments work here? Are they multiple choice, nbme-style questions or short response? Weekly quizzes, block exams, both? What goes into your grade for a block? Also, are lectures recorded?
Thanks!
Hello everyone! I'm a current upper-class student, happy to answer questions :). For those on the waitlist, I too was on the waitlist, and in previous years there has been a lot of movement (I approximate that 1/3 of my class came off the waitlist). Unsure if it will be different this year. I sent a letter of strong interest (not intent).

In preclinical exams start off as weekly (though in the second and third semester become more of every other week) and are fully multiple choice questions (non-NBME). Anatomy questions used to be short-answer but have been changed to multiple choice. There are usually 2-4 quizzes per course (depending on length of course; though anatomy runs through the whole first semester and you'll have some anatomy questions almost every week) and you need an average of 65% across all the questions in that course to pass. So, if you do well on the first ones, puts a lot less stress on the subsequent ones. For Monday quizzes (I'd say they comprised about 2/3 of the quizzes in the first semester) I worked hard during the week so I could study very little on weekends and still did well. Lectures are all recorded and 95% of them are optional. But of course small group sessions and anatomy are required).

Personally I liked having quizzes often as it kept me from procrastinating and it made the material easy to digest (only so much material can appear on a weekly exam). Also it puts much less pressure on each quiz, so if you do poorly on one, it's no big deal.

Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone! I'm a current upper-class student, happy to answer questions :). For those on the waitlist, I too was on the waitlist, and in previous years there has been a lot of movement (I approximate that 1/3 of my class came off the waitlist). Unsure if it will be different this year. I sent a letter of strong interest (not intent).

In preclinical exams start off as weekly (though in the second and third semester become more of every other week) and are fully multiple choice questions (non-NBME). Anatomy questions used to be short-answer but have been changed to multiple choice. There are usually 2-4 quizzes per course (depending on length of course; though anatomy runs through the whole first semester and you'll have some anatomy questions almost every week) and you need an average of 65% across all the questions in that course to pass. So, if you do well on the first ones, puts a lot less stress on the subsequent ones. For Monday quizzes (I'd say they comprised about 2/3 of the quizzes in the first semester) I worked hard during the week so I could study very little on weekends and still did well. Lectures are all recorded and 95% of them are optional. But of course small group sessions and anatomy are required).

Personally I liked having quizzes often as it kept me from procrastinating and it made the material easy to digest (only so much material can appear on a weekly exam). Also it puts much less pressure on each quiz, so if you do poorly on one, it's no big deal.

Thanks so much—that’s really helpful info!

If you don’t mind, could you also speak to the student culture at Weill Cornell? Would you say that students are friendly/collaborative or cutthroat? I know it varies from class to class, but a general perspective could be helpful.

I've answered many questions in the past so I'll post my previous responses here in case you are interested:

Are you happy with your choice to attend Weill?

I’ve loved my time here so far. Living in NYC, especially in such a convenient/safe location that Weill is in, as well as having a small class have been two things that were more important to me than I initially thought.

What is a typical day like in preclinical?

Preclinical is 8-1 class every day (entailing both lectures and small groups, but mostly lectures which are optional). First semester you’ll have anatomy 2 afternoons (2-5) per week, and usually another afternoon for something like preceptorship (early clinical experience which is one on one with a doctor at a clinic).

We have two small group/PBL’s or so per week, they’re usually in the morning FYI (8am). I wasn’t an early bird before med school but it’s nice to get in the habit of getting up early. Lots of my classmates go back to sleep afterwards.

I had a good amount of time to pursue extracurriculars and also started a clinical research project during my second semester, so doable to start research before the first summer if you're motivated enough!

What are the clinical rotation locations and how do preferences work?

If you attend Weill there are many affiliate hospitals you can do preceptorships or clinical rotations at. These include NYP-Westchester (a top psych hospital), MSK (can do Medicine, Neurology, Surgery rotations here), NYP-Brooklyn Methodist (Can do OB-GYN, Peds, Surgery, Primary Care, Medicine here), NYP-Cornell (obviously), NYP-Queens (can do most clerkships here), Houston Methodist (can do OB-GYN, Surgery, Medicine, Neurology; many people loved their experience here as it can feel like a vacation because Cornell gives you a nice, big apartment and you get to try a completely new city for 4-6 weeks). For all other locations Cornell either provides a shuttle for you to take each day or they reimburse Metrocard and sometimes Uber's (for rotations when you travel very early or late in the day like surgery). There is a lottery you rank based on your location and timing preferences. For instance, if you're interested in Psych and you want to be at NYP-Westchester, you can rank that location as your first preference. I initially did not want to be so spread out for rotations and wanted NYP-Cornell for everything but in hindsight I highly enjoyed that rotations were spread out! I got to see different patient populations and different ways hospitals operate (e.g. specialty tertiary hospital like NYP-Cornell versus a more community hospital like NYP-Brooklyn).

To make clerkships a bit less difficult Cornell has started giving students a half day off every 4 weeks which is nice for scheduling doctor's appointments, appointments with research mentors, to study for the shelf exam, or just to have a break from the hospital. And for every clerkship you get the day before the shelf exam off from clinical duties for some extra study time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Thanks so much—that’s really helpful info!

If you don’t mind, could you also speak to the student culture at Weill Cornell? Would you say that students are friendly/collaborative or cutthroat? I know it varies from class to class, but a general perspective could be helpful.

Yes of course it can vary from class and your perspective might change based on what college you are coming from (e.g. I came from a highly cutthroat pre-med environment and med school has been WAY better). Overall I'd say it has been very collaborative. The fact that pre-clinicals are P/F really takes any competition out. We have a class group chat and we often share helpful resources with each other (during preclinical and clinical). And in clerkship years, there is no limit to how many students get Honors for a clerkship (you are competing against yourself, not your classmates).

I've answered many questions in the past so I'll post my previous responses here in case you are interested:

Are you happy with your choice to attend Weill?

I’ve loved my time here so far. Living in NYC, especially in such a convenient/safe location that Weill is in, as well as having a small class have been two things that were more important to me than I initially thought.

What is a typical day like in preclinical?

Preclinical is 8-1 class every day (entailing both lectures and small groups, but mostly lectures which are optional). First semester you’ll have anatomy 2 afternoons (2-5) per week, and usually another afternoon for something like preceptorship (early clinical experience which is one on one with a doctor at a clinic).

We have two small group/PBL’s or so per week, they’re usually in the morning FYI (8am). I wasn’t an early bird before med school but it’s nice to get in the habit of getting up early. Lots of my classmates go back to sleep afterwards.

I had a good amount of time to pursue extracurriculars and also started a clinical research project during my second semester, so doable to start research before the first summer if you're motivated enough!

What are the clinical rotation locations and how do preferences work?

If you attend Weill there are many affiliate hospitals you can do preceptorships or clinical rotations at. These include NYP-Westchester (a top psych hospital), MSK (can do Medicine, Neurology, Surgery rotations here), NYP-Brooklyn Methodist (Can do OB-GYN, Peds, Surgery, Primary Care, Medicine here), NYP-Cornell (obviously), NYP-Queens (can do most clerkships here), Houston Methodist (can do OB-GYN, Surgery, Medicine, Neurology; many people loved their experience here as it can feel like a vacation because Cornell gives you a nice, big apartment and you get to try a completely new city for 4-6 weeks). For all other locations Cornell either provides a shuttle for you to take each day or they reimburse Metrocard and sometimes Uber's (for rotations when you travel very early or late in the day like surgery). There is a lottery you rank based on your location and timing preferences. For instance, if you're interested in Psych and you want to be at NYP-Westchester, you can rank that location as your first preference. I initially did not want to be so spread out for rotations and wanted NYP-Cornell for everything but in hindsight I highly enjoyed that rotations were spread out! I got to see different patient populations and different ways hospitals operate (e.g. specialty tertiary hospital like NYP-Cornell versus a more community hospital like NYP-Brooklyn).

To make clerkships a bit less difficult Cornell has started giving students a half day off every 4 weeks which is nice for scheduling doctor's appointments, appointments with research mentors, to study for the shelf exam, or just to have a break from the hospital. And for every clerkship you get the day before the shelf exam off from clinical duties for some extra study time.
Thank you so much. Can you do any clerkships/rotations at HSS? Also, is there a student library?

Thank you so much. Can you do any clerkships/rotations at HSS? Also, is there a student library?
No unfortunately no clerkships are done at HSS. During preclinical some people did preceptorships at HSS and I believe you can request to be assigned a preceptor from there. Obviously after clerkship year there are many electives you can do at HSS like adult or pediatric rheumatology, orthopedics, musculoskeletal radiology.

And yes there is a library that is shared with all Weill Cornell students and NYP staff so you'll often see doctors or nurses there. 95% of the time you'll be able to find a seat to study at. There are some brand new student-only lounges in the education center and in the upper-class housing (Lasdon) where some students study. And of course PBL rooms can be used for studying (good for groups) whenever they aren't being used.

No unfortunately no clerkships are done at HSS. During preclinical some people did preceptorships at HSS and I believe you can request to be assigned a preceptor from there. Obviously after clerkship year there are many electives you can do at HSS like adult or pediatric rheumatology, orthopedics, musculoskeletal radiology.

And yes there is a library that is shared with all Weill Cornell students and NYP staff so you'll often see doctors or nurses there. 95% of the time you'll be able to find a seat to study at. There are some brand new student-only lounges in the education center and in the upper-class housing (Lasdon) where some students study. And of course PBL rooms can be used for studying (good for groups) whenever they aren't being used.

Could you share how clinical rotations grading works with regards to H/HP/P/F? Like do you need a certain shelf score to get honors? How is AOA and class rank determined here? Thank you!!

Last edited:
Could you share how clinical rotations grading works with regards to H/HP/P/F? Like do you need a certain shelf score to get honors and is there a quota on what % get honors? How is AOA and class rank determined here? Thank you!!

As I mentioned before there is no limit as to how many get honors, but there are certain requirements/cutoffs you need to get honors, including shelf score. You are competing more against yourself than you are against classmates.

I don't understand AOA entirely well but I think most of it is based on your clinical year grades. Perhaps someone else could speak about that...

Can you speak to the office preceptorship and how that is encorporated into the clinical skills curriculum? Also, can you talk to how many Sub Is are required? From the website it looks like it happens during your 16 weeks of electives? Is that true?

Can you also speak to how easy it is to get shadowing experience?

Last edited:
@flyingeagle

thanks for being the goat and answering questions.

dO most students tough it out at Olin? Is it hard to get a full sized bed in there bc I’m not about the twin XLs post college lmao

what is a preceptorship? (Probably a dumb question but it sounds different from a clerkships).

you mentioned for us ortho bros/bras, we could request a preceptor from HSS. How do we go about doing this?

heard there’s a strong push to get rid if AOA and dean Choi was on board. But w step p/f, ya think they’re gonna Try and keep it?

Least favorite thing about Cornell/something you’d change?

As I mentioned before there is no limit as to how many get honors, but there are certain requirements/cutoffs you need to get honors, including shelf score. You are competing more against yourself than you are against classmates.

I don't understand AOA entirely well but I think most of it is based on your clinical year grades. Perhaps someone else could speak about that...

That's such a relief because I know at some other places you have to score above a standard deviation/etc. or it's only X percentage can get honors!

Can you speak to the office preceptorship and how that is encorporated into the clinical skills curriculum? Also, can you talk to how many Sub Is are required? From the website it looks like it happens during your 16 weeks of electives? Is that true?

Can you also speak to how easy it is to get shadowing experience?

For those who don’t know the office preceptorship is where you are paired with an attending (usually one on one in the first semester, more group setting later on) in your preclinical year’s (once every week or two for a few hours each) to begin working on your clinical skills. The first semester is more about learning how to take a history from a patient so each clinic session you’ll see patients with the attending and be given the opportunity to interview at least one patient with guidance and then you’ll write up the history afterwards for practice. You won’t be thrown into this, the school will try to make you as comfortable as possible to interview your first real patient by first teaching you about history taking, practicing on each other, etc before this. The following semesters this becomes more based around learning to do a physical exam while still practicing your histor taking, and you’ll be more in groups for this part so you can learn from each other.

Shadowing is extremely easy, I shadowed multiple people during preclinical. Usually you can just send someone an email and they’ll just say sure just come to my clinic any time or at X time.

In terms of sub-internship you need to do one to graduate (they are 4 weeks long and you can do it in medicine, surgery, EM, neurology, peds). This is separate from the 16 weeks of electives but you do all these for the most part starting late in third year or early fourth year up until when you graduate. Also something nice about Weill is you get a two week block during clerkship year to do any elective you want for P/F and it counts towards your 16 weeks to graduate. It’s nice if you want to explore a specific specialty early on but you can also just use it as vacation if you want!

@flyingeagle

thanks for being the goat and answering questions.

dO most students tough it out at Olin? Is it hard to get a full sized bed in there bc I’m not about the twin XLs post college lmao

what is a preceptorship? (Probably a dumb question but it sounds different from a clerkships).

you mentioned for us ortho bros/bras, we could request a preceptor from HSS. How do we go about doing this?

heard there’s a strong push to get rid if AOA and dean Choi was on board. But w step p/f, ya think they’re gonna Try and keep it?

I talk about preceptorship in my post right before this hopefully that helps. I’m not 100% sure on being able to request a preceptor from HSS but if so you do it during your first year. But trust me the preceptor you get isn’t really a big deal as you only see them a couple times anyway. And it exists more to learn how to take a history and physical so you won’t be impressing anyone anyway...

Everyone who chooses to live on campus does Olin the first year, and yeah it’s more dorm style but it’s nice to be with all your classmates and to be across the street from school. I know a few people who bought their own full sized bed and fit it in Olin although the room was tight. Housing gets much better after first year when you get more apartment style housing in Lasdon.

Not sure about AOA, I know other schools have gotten rid of it and I’d be happy if they did but I don’t know what will happen here at Weill.

@flyingeagle

I think this is true at most schools but clerkship grading evaluations by attendings and residents can be subjective a lot of times and may not always reflect your true ability. The School has been trying to fix this for years but it’s never been perfect. I think the only solution is to make clerkship grading P/F but this might not be feasible with the new Step 1 change.

I talk about preceptorship in my post right before this hopefully that helps. I’m not 100% sure on being able to request a preceptor from HSS but if so you do it during your first year. But trust me the preceptor you get isn’t really a big deal as you only see them a couple times anyway. And it exists more to learn how to take a history and physical so you won’t be impressing anyone anyway...

Everyone who chooses to live on campus does Olin the first year, and yeah it’s more dorm style but it’s nice to be with all your classmates and to be across the street from school. I know a few people who bought their own full sized bed and fit it in Olin although the room was tight. Housing gets much better after first year when you get more apartment style housing in Lasdon.

Not sure about AOA, I know other schools have gotten rid of it and I’d be happy if they did but I don’t know what will happen here at Weill.

Is it pretty easy for students to get research over the summer at MSKCC and/or HSS that's funded, and then they can continue to work on projects after the summer ends? Really interested in doing clinical/epidemiological research at MSKCC :)

Is it pretty easy for students to get research over the summer at MSKCC and/or HSS that's funded, and then they can continue to work on projects after the summer ends? Really interested in doing clinical/epidemiological research at MSKCC :)

As you may know both have summer research fellowships available for students nationwide and they are highly competitive. I did not apply but from what i know they give preference to Weill Cornell students — i would estimate about 4-5 people did each program in my class. But besides these there are many other research scholarships to apply for. And the office of financial aid works with students to provide funding as well (regardless of whether you actually get financial aid) and almost all students I know got some funding through some means. However I am further away from this so unsure how it has been in more recent years, but I think a few pages back in this thread another current student had a post about funding for the summer.

And so you are aware, you are always welcome to do research before that summer or to continue it after that summer, or even to continue it into your AOC project.