About the Ads
Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Any accepted second semester seniors thinking of going p/f? I know it’s courteous to contact admissions to get the ok but I can’t imagine the stress they’re going thru rn.

Reactions: proudofmykids

The-Medical-Mamba

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Any accepted second semester seniors thinking of going p/f? I know it’s courteous to contact admissions to get the ok but I can’t imagine the stress they’re going thru rn.
Aren’t a lot of schools going p/f anyway for the semester?

As long as their not pre-reqs, I doubt cornell will care.

Avada Cadaver

Mad scientist
2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
2020 Match list =o

Anesthesiology
BIDMH
WashU
Duke
Mt Sinai
Mt Sinai
MGH
UCSF
Yale
Columbia
Columbia
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
NYU
OHSU
UWash

Dermatology
Yale
UCLA
UCI
Suny

Emergency
BIDMH-Harvard
Maimonides
Columbia & Cornell
NYU
SUNY
Temple

Family med
Contra costa
Institute for family Health
Columbia
OHSU
SUNY
Jefferson
U-illinois

Gen Surg
Cornell
Cornell
Inova
Einstein
U-florida
Miami
U-Chicago

Internal medicine
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
MGH
MGH
Stanford
Stanford
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
UCLA
Sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Pitt
Einstein
Einstein
Darthmouth
Hackensack
NYU

Medicine-Pediatrics
Penn

Med-primary care
Jefferson
UCSF
UCLA
UCLA

Neurosurgery
Cornell
Cornell
Vanderbilt

Neurology
Columbia
NYU

Obgyn
Brigham-Harvard
Emory

Ophthalmology
Duke
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell

Ortho
Hospital for special surgery

ENT
Hopkins
Rush

Peds-neurology
UCSF
Phx childrens

PEDS
Childrens hospital boston
CHOP
Washu
Utah

PMR
Columbia & Cornell

Plastics
Cleveland clinic
Pitt

Psych
BIDMH-Harvard
Mt sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Jefferson

Radiation Oncology
MGH
Memorial Sloan Kettering

Radiology
Emory
Cornell
Lenox Hill

Urology
Baylor
Mt Sinai
Northwestern

Attachments

Last edited:
About the Ads

The-Medical-Mamba

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
2020 Match list =o

Anesthesiology
BIDMH
WashU
Duke
Mt Sinai
Mt Sinai
MGH
UCSF
Yale
Columbia
Columbia
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
NYU
OHSU
UWash

Dermatology
Yale
UCLA
UCI
Suny

Emergency
BIDMH-Harvard
Maimonides
Columbia & Cornell
NYU
SUNY
Temple

Family med
Contra costa
Institute for family Health
Columbia
OHSU
SUNY
Jefferson
U-illinois

Gen Surg
Cornell
Cornell
Inova
Einstein
U-florida
Miami
U-Chicago

Internal medicine
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
Brigham-Harvard
MGH
MGH
Stanford
Stanford
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
UCLA
Sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Pitt
Einstein
Einstein
Darthmouth
Hackensack
NYU

Medicine-Pediatrics
Penn

Med-primary care
Jefferson
UCSF
UCLA
UCLA

Neurosurgery
Cornell
Cornell
Vanderbilt

Neurology
Columbia
NYU

Obgyn
Brigham-Harvard
Emory

Ophthalmology
Duke
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell

Ortho
Hospital for special surgery

ENT
Hopkins
Rush

Peds-neurology
UCSF
Phx childrens

PEDS
Childrens hospital boston
CHOP
Washu
Utah

PMR
Columbia & Cornell

Plastics
Cleveland clinic
Pitt

Psych
BIDMH-Harvard
Mt sinai
Cornell
Cornell
Jefferson

Radiation Oncology
MGH
Memorial Sloan Kettering

Radiology
Emory
Cornell
Lenox Hill

Urology
Baylor
Mt Sinai
Northwestern
Cornell seems to have a pretty low # of competitive speciality matches, doesn't it? 1 ortho? Any current students have a comment on this?

Avada Cadaver

Mad scientist
2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Cornell seems to have a pretty low # of competitive speciality matches, doesn't it? 1 ortho? Any current students have a comment on this?
That’s because only one person in the class of 2020 was interested in Ortho, who happened to match at the #1 ortho residency. No one is holding a gun to our heads to pursue competitive specialties. That said, If you look at the actual specialties, we matched at mostly top programs. AFAIK matching MGH for internal medicine the same level of competitiveness as matching HSS ortho or Memorial sloan for Rad-Onc. Also, our MD class size is basically 85 with 20-30% doing a research year, vs most other schools with 170-200 students.

Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
That’s because only one person in the class of 2020 was interested in Ortho, who happened to match at the #1 ortho residency. No one is holding a gun to our heads to pursue competitive specialties. If you look at the actual specialties, we matched at mostly top programs. AFAIK matching MGH for internal medicine the same level of competitiveness as matching HSS ortho or Memorial sloan for Rad-Onc.
That’s really reassuring to hear. I was kinda seeing that same trend and was unsure what to think.

Avada Cadaver

Mad scientist
2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
That’s really reassuring to hear. I was kinda seeing that same trend and was unsure what to think.
I edited/added to my previous comment but another thing to consider is that our class size is relatively small compared to most other med schools; ~85 MD students, ~15 MD/pHD vs Columbia w/ ~170, Case ~180. So you wont typically see 20 ppl matching ortho because that would be >20% of our class matching into ortho, but If you were to take the % of students going to x speciality it’s pretty much the same as all the other schools.

tldr: our match list is amazing.

Oct 14, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Another question for current students: do the weekly quizzes take away from being able to enjoy the weekend? Are students always in study mode bc of them?
No, its p/f. Unless you procrastinate, weekends shouldn't be bad even with the monday quiz. Biweekly/weekly quizzes reduce the procrastination and make the content manageable ;)

Jul 21, 2019
No, its p/f. Unless you procrastinate, weekends shouldn't be bad even with the monday quiz. Biweekly/weekly quizzes reduce the procrastination and make the content manageable ;)
To follow up with that question, are the quizzes consistently on Fridays? Or does it kind of vary between Fridays/Mondays? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: himalayansaltlamp
About the Ads

strappysandals

2+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2017
Pardon my lack of knowledge but is there something about anesthesiology that makes it so popular?
I mean I could go on for hours and not sure if this is serious but generally, its pretty all encompassing. Turns out we won't get much exposure in medical school though, unless you do an elective its generally just one week during the surgery rotations.

Get to do a bunch of procedures - lines, tubes, blocks, epidurals, etc.
Gotta know medicine stuff - you are the medicine docs of the OR.
Gotta know some surgery and get to be a part of all different kinds of surgery
like kids? pediatrics is a fellowship option and all anesthesiologists are trained for kids (those without fellowship training are just not comfortable below a certain age)
Want to completely focus on life and family when your not at work? once you're home, you are truly home, no patients to worry about.
You do things that actually and acutely save lives: best in hospital at getting invasive access/intubating/running codes.
Want more patient interaction than in the OR? You can:
- do a critical care fellowship and take care of lung/heart transplant, etc patients in the ICU
- do a pain fellowship and have your own practice/patients you see longitudinally
- Do OB and get to positively impact the birth experience (if you are good with people)
I think the best part is that even if you do a fellowship you can still do a bit of everything.
ex) 2 days on OB, 2 days main OR, 1 day admin or non clinical per week ....or.... 1 week ICU per month, rest is main OR ... or... generalist OR person

I wouldn't say anesthesia is lax though, for the docs I know (academics) their days are usually 630a-4p 5 days a week and then call. Private practice makes more but you work alot more.

Feb 11, 2020
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Has Cornell sent out the accepted email yet? I got the email last week saying that they are going to email their acceptances, but I haven't seen anything sent out yet. I want to make sure that I haven't missed anything

Aug 15, 2019
Status
I have a few financial questions that hopefully some current students can answer:
1- I know there is only financial need aid, but does Cornell attempt to even match any merit aid from other schools?
2- What is the formula for financial aid. Like percentage of parent income, or after how much do you get how much (e.g. after $200k family income you dont get any aid or very little, etc.
3- How is financial need assessed upon changing. Like having a increased or reduced income in the next 2 years due to changing to jobs that get paid more or losing your job, etc.

hannakm

Weill Cornell 2023
2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I definitely understand that reasoning, but I think it'd be super welcomed to start facilitating discussion/introductions between prospective students and current students to at least get a feel of who our potential classmates may be (especially with second look moving to online). Not sure if Cornell has any MS1 representatives that could facilitate something like this? Thanks for being responsive on this forum!
Also @25thBaam and anyone else who was wondering before: Not sure if you've gotten the update yet but a FB group should be up in the next 1-2 weeks for all of y'all and the M1 reps are working on ways to have virtual group chats/hangout sessions with smaller groups of current students and admits as well so you'll have plenty of opportunities to ask any questions you have

Jul 21, 2019
Also @25thBaam and anyone else who was wondering before: Not sure if you've gotten the update yet but a FB group should be up in the next 1-2 weeks for all of y'all and the M1 reps are working on ways to have virtual group chats/hangout sessions with smaller groups of current students and admits as well so you'll have plenty of opportunities to ask any questions you have
Thank you so much for the update!

About the Ads
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Any idea of how many people are on the WL and how much movement there is? Debating on writing a letter of intent but unsure how fruitful that would be.

Avada Cadaver

Mad scientist
2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I have a few financial questions that hopefully some current students can answer:
1- I know there is only financial need aid, but does Cornell attempt to even match any merit aid from other schools?
2- What is the formula for financial aid. Like percentage of parent income, or after how much do you get how much (e.g. after $200k family income you dont get any aid or very little, etc.
3- How is financial need assessed upon changing. Like having a increased or reduced income in the next 2 years due to changing to jobs that get paid more or losing your job, etc.
First of all, I am just a student and do not speak for the school and what I am say does not reflect WCM's opinion yada yada yada..

1. Idk if things have changed from when I applied--heavily doubt it--, but what I found from personal experience or close relative/friend is basically every single top-20 school except Columbia, that say's they're need-based only do in-fact offer merit scholarships. Maybe it's need based + We "need you" to come here based. So in that regard shoot your shot; (disclaimer: It probably won't work as in every instance of this the school approached the med student first). Some of my mentee's from this cycle who very clearly don't qualify for need based aid, have received full tuition "aid" to UCSF, Mayo etc. Pls don't @ me with tips etc, since it'll just get overwhelming.

2. Do not quote me on this but afaik your parents can earn up 200k+ and still qualify for financial aid; My parents are engineers and NP's + I made ~70k during my gap year(s) and still get almost full COA in grants. I'm not sure if they've sent it out yet but you can go based of your EFC; If your EFC is say $5000, then you would receive $85,000 in grants/scholarship and you'd be expected to come up with the remaining $5k (either through parents, institutional loans (super low interest loans that do not acquire interest till after residency), or federal loans.
  • Fin aid is assessed on you and your families tax information two years prior. Should anything have drastically changed that isn't reflected in your returns, you can bring it up with fin-aid and they adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: lonely_cytochrome
Dec 22, 2018
First of all, I am just a student and do not speak for the school and what I am say does not reflect WCM's opinion yada yada yada..

1. Idk if things have changed from when I applied--heavily doubt it--, but what I found from personal experience or close relative/friend is basically every single top-20 school except Columbia, that say's they're need-based only do in-fact offer merit scholarships. Maybe it's need based + We "need you" to come here based. So in that regard shoot your shot; (disclaimer: It probably won't work as in every instance of this the school approached the med student first).

2. Do not quote me on this but afaik your parents can earn up 200k+ and still qualify for financial aid; My parents make >100k and I made ~70k during my gap year(s) and still get almost full COA in grants. I'm not sure if they've sent it out yet but you can go based of your EFC; If your EFC is say $5000, then you would receive $85,000 in grants/scholarship and you'd be expected to come up with the remaining $5k (either through parents, institutional loans (super low interest loans that do not acquire interest till after residency), or federal loans.
  • Fin aid is assessed on you and your families tax information two years prior. Should anything have drastically changed that isn't reflected in your returns, you can bring it up with fin-aid and they adjust accordingly.
Did your EFC turn out to be close to the FAFSA estimate? I'm guessing they use some combo of the CSS PROFILE/FAFSA. This is really helpful thanks! The office said fin aid packages begin dispersing in early April :)

Avada Cadaver

Mad scientist
2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Did your EFC turn out to be close to the FAFSA estimate? I'm guessing they use some combo of the CSS PROFILE/FAFSA. This is really helpful thanks! The office said fin aid packages begin dispersing in early April :)
I honestly don't remember but it's based on CSS I believe.

Aug 15, 2019
Status

1. Idk if things have changed from when I applied--heavily doubt it--, but what I found from personal experience or close relative/friend is basically every single top-20 school except Columbia, that say's they're need-based only do in-fact offer merit scholarships. Maybe it's need based + We "need you" to come here based. So in that regard shoot your shot; (disclaimer: It probably won't work as in every instance of this the school approached the med student first). Some of my mentee's from this cycle who very clearly don't qualify for need based aid, have received full tuition "aid" to UCSF, Mayo etc. Pls don't @ me with tips etc, since it'll just get overwhelming.

2. Do not quote me on this but afaik your parents can earn up 200k+ and still qualify for financial aid; My parents are engineers and NP's + I made ~70k during my gap year(s) and still get almost full COA in grants. I'm not sure if they've sent it out yet but you can go based of your EFC; If your EFC is say $5000, then you would receive $85,000 in grants/scholarship and you'd be expected to come up with the remaining $5k (either through parents, institutional loans (super low interest loans that do not acquire interest till after residency), or federal loans.
Thanks a lot! That really helped.

Dec 22, 2018
How is the school handling the rise of COVID-19 for students? Einstein and NYU have taken action, and the other NYC schools are bound to follow up...

About the Ads