2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've seen a few people in this thread post about sending a letter of intent post-interview but pre-decision. I interviewed last week and this truly is my top choice, but a lot of people have said to wait until they give you A vs. waitlist. Anyone who was in this position earlier in the cycle have any advice?
So, if you are doing a true letter intent, and you want to go here. Go for it. I think people wait to see where they get accepted vs waitlisted because they are divided. This is advice from a premed, and not an adcom. SO grain of salt. But, I wish you the best and hope you get this A. <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent an update to this school. Am I supposed to email them and let them know I updated my file?

I’m on the waitlist here and trying to get a sense of my chances. I feel like there may be hundreds of applicants waitlisted because it seems that, post interview, they don’t send rejections, just waitlist or acceptance. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!! Complete 7/14 and put on hold pretty much immediately after. II 10/28, interviewed 12/08. I’m a non-traditional student living in DC with a background in health policy. I have a crappy GPA, an okay MCAT, and I am just absolutely stunned.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 33 users
I’m on the waitlist here and trying to get a sense of my chances. I feel like there may be hundreds of applicants waitlisted because it seems that, post interview, they don’t send rejections, just waitlist or acceptance. Does anyone know if this is the case?
From the stats I have found, they interview around 1,000 and accept around 300. I haven't heard of anyone getting an R post-interview so I guess about 700 will be on the waitlist. With that many people waitlisted, it would be nice if they could indicate a ranking but oh well, I guess we just stay in suspense until classes start.

From the stats I have found, they interview around 1,000 and accept around 300. I haven't heard of anyone getting an R post-interview so I guess about 700 will be on the waitlist. With that many people waitlisted, it would be nice if they could indicate a ranking but oh well, I guess we just stay in suspense until classes start.
Man that’s SO many. Agreed, it would be nice to have an idea.

ACCEPTED!!!! Received the email this morning. Interviewed 1/14. I interviewed last year too and was placed on the alternate list so don't give up you guys!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
ACCEPTED!!!! Received the email this morning. Interviewed 1/14. I interviewed last year too and was placed on the alternate list so don't give up you guys!
This is amazing congrats!! They got back to you so fast.

Congrats! Any tips for those of us interviewing soon?
It was super casual since it was closed file. My interviewers just wanted to know about me and asked really broad questions like why medicine and why GWU. My faculty interviewer and I actually talked a lot about planes because he was really interested in space and I volunteer at the Smithsonian.

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone heard anything about the admitted students FB page? I know they said by Feb but havent seen anything

Are there any current students lurking the forum that wouldnt mind if I pmed for some questions?

Is anyone else kind of bummed they don't have an info session or presentations or anything besides just the interviews? I know they have slides and information on the interviewee portal.....but man I'm a little disappointed

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey waitlisted friends! GW sent us an email about sending a LOI by march 15 (finally!!!!). Just letting u guys kno bc my email got labeled as promotional email probably due to mass sending, so check all of your inboxes

Reactions: 3 users
Got the R e-mail. I was put on hold 8/22. Regret not turning in an update due to procrastination but it is what it is!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Rejected but it is what it is. Looks like I'll be staying in Canada ~~

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hey waitlisted friends! GW sent us an email about sending a LOI by march 15 (finally!!!!). Just letting u guys kno bc my email got labeled as promotional email probably due to mass sending, so check all of your inboxes
I just had my interview and waiting to hear back. Does this mean we have to send one in by March 15th? Would they recommend we send one in before we hear if we get waitlisted or accepted? Thanks!

Mine went to promotional as well. I had sent an update letter/letter of continued interest over the holidays (probably should have waited until now but whatever)- do you think that suffices or should I send another one? Probably should just send another..

I just had my interview and waiting to hear back. Does this mean we have to send one in by March 15th? Would they recommend we send one in before we hear if we get waitlisted or accepted? Thanks!
You should wait til their decision, if you get waitlisted later, they will extend the due date for you according to last cycle

Mine went to promotional as well. I had sent an update letter/letter of continued interest over the holidays (probably should have waited until now but whatever)- do you think that suffices or should I send another one? Probably should just send another..
I think you still need to send one because the letter also acts as a confirmation to stay on the waitlist. Send a short one re-mentioning your interest!

I laughed at the fact that the website says alternate list applicants will hear from them about next steps sometime in January, and then they send the email on the literal last day of January on a Sunday morning

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I laughed at the fact that the website says alternate list applicants will hear from them about next steps sometime in January, and then they send the email on the literal last day of January on a Sunday morning
This is me cackling about people rejecting “through the cycle”. One dump of rejections in august and one in January IS NOT “through the cycle”. LOL

Is anyone else kind of bummed they don't have an info session or presentations or anything besides just the interviews? I know they have slides and information on the interviewee portal.....but man I'm a little disappointed
Is there an interviewee portal? I haven't received any info on this, will I get it closer to my Interview date? Thank you!

Withdrew from the alternate list today. I really, really loved this program, and hope that some of you all benefit from waitlist movement!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Just wanted to offer some hope here for people still on hold. My hold became an II a few weeks ago. I did send an update letter, but of course there's no way to know if that did anything. Good luck, team!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, for those who got an alternative email this week..... I have already written a letter of intent, four update letters and have currently not really found anything new persay to update the admissions committee on thats additional. Do you think I should just wait until I have something new to write to update them that I am still interested in being on the alternative list (before March 15 ofc) or should I just summarize my update letters?

• Wow
Hey guys, for those who got an alternative email this week..... I have already written a letter of intent, four update letters and have currently not really found anything new persay to update the admissions committee on thats additional. Do you think I should just wait until I have something new to write to update them that I am still interested in being on the alternative list (before March 15 ofc) or should I just summarize my update letters?
Email says, "Please know that if you have previously provided an update(s), we have received it and submitted it to the committee as part of your file. However, we need all alternate students who wish to remain under consideration, to provide the requested information below after receipt of this correspondence." So I would definitely send a summary update/letter of interest

Thank you! Yeah was definitely going to send one, I was just nervous if they looking for some new stuff already :oops:

Hi there! I'm new to this thread, so please excuse me if this has been asked before, but I was complete 8/17 and have been on hold ever since. I'm guessing the chance of receiving an II is pretty low and I shouldn't be expecting anything. I sent an update last week. Does anyone know how likely it would be to receive an II at this point?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there! I'm new to this thread, so please excuse me if this has been asked before, but I was complete 8/17 and have been on hold ever since. I'm guessing the chance of receiving an II is pretty low and I shouldn't be expecting anything. I sent an update last week. Does anyone know how likely it would be to receive an II at this point?
Last year they sent IIs out on 2/6 and 2/10, and that wasn't even a COVID cycle. They could be behind this year, so there may still be hope! Their secondary deadline is today, so I would sincerely hope that they wouldn't finish sending IIs before secondaries are due, but who knows. As slimy as that is I wouldn't put it past the medical school admissions process lol.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
I just sent an update after getting that alternate email. Do you usually get a confirmation that they received it? If so, how long does it take for that to be sent?

Hi there!
Is anyone else having an interview tomorrow with the faculty only and not the student?

Hi there!
Is anyone else having an interview tomorrow with the faculty only and not the student?
Me- I got the email earlier saying no student interviews tomorrow? And they would be sending the date/time of our student interview in the future....?

withdrawing from the alternate list. Foggy Bottom is awesome, loved my time there. Good luck you guys!

Reactions: 7 users
I literally sent in an update 1 hour before receiving that alternate email. Do you guys think I should contact admissions to see if that one could count or just write another one?
When did you interview out of curiosity? And my best guess is they haven't seen your update yet so I feel like they would count it

In the email for waitlisted applicants they say include “any updated info” does that mean activities or are they just wanting address and phone? I was going to upload a separate update letter with employment and other involvement but I’m wondering if I should include it in this letter. Is anyone else putting an actual update in the letter they requested today?

Last edited:
Just received an II! I was under review this morning. I love this school!! I sent 2 updates on Saturday and Monday of this week, which I think helped. I hope interviewing this late in the cycle won't hurt my chances. Fingers crossed!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
For people who interviewed, did you guys get some sort of Welcome Video? The other schools I interviewed at usually had a video about their curriculum, student life, etc... Does GW send us any resources prior to our interview, or do we prep solely from online stuff like I did with secondaries? (Note: My interview is in 2 weeks)

For people who interviewed, did you guys get some sort of Welcome Video? The other schools I interviewed at usually had a video about their curriculum, student life, etc... Does GW send us any resources prior to our interview, or do we prep solely from online stuff like I did with secondaries? (Note: My interview is in 2 weeks)
They will send you a link to a portal with more information/pre-recorded presentations on curriculum etc. I got the link the day before my interview.

Hey guys, a current student at GW now. I just want you guys to know that we are so proud of you for making this incredibly tough year. There are about 17000 applicants this year which is just insane. The admission team recently invited more student interviewers as the M2s are stepping down preparing for their USMLE exam. That means they are still sending out interview invites and will conduct more interviews for sure! Send in updates and keep yourself in the loop! GW admission really treats every application with a sincere heart and loves to see students showing commitment to the school. Feel free to message me if you have questions too! Tho I might not reply in time but I will try :)

Reactions: 31 users