2020-2021 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when their last interview day is?
Sometime in March if the timeline is still accurate. They send IIs really close to the actual day so it's not over until then.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for taking the time to explain it thoroughly!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you have to email admissions to withdraw your application? I didn't see a button in the portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have withdrawn your app, did you say why?

I was wondering if anyone has interviewed/been accepted for the MD/PhD program?

Reactions: 2 users
I still laugh at how I received an interview invite and the only available interview date was LITERALLY THE NEXT DAY! Never have I broken a sweat by just looking at a screen, lol. Luckily it was a system error and the admission team was able to sort it out really quickly :)
OMG THAT HAPPENED TO ME. It was 2 days from the invite. I, of course, being the courageous premed that I am said LET'S DO THIS. Only to later receive my confirmation email saying my interview was the next week. O.O' Fortunate I was able to learn much more.

Reactions: 5 users
From what I've seen/heard, it seems like somewhere around 600 II?
So do we think they’re interviewing over 700 people again? It seemed like they were hinting that it was more competitive to get an interview this year, but obviously they didn’t give actual #s or say it outright. Or they coulda just been trying to hype us up lol

do they screen pre or post secondary? sorry if discussed already..... also how holistic are they? low scores but 5 pubs / lots of research and clinical exp..... and outstanding LORs (4 from MDs, one being academic director of master's program...)

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has interviewed/been accepted for the MD/PhD program?
If I remember correctly during my interview they mentioned all Caltech interviews would be completed in January. My Kaiser interview was in November and Caltech in January. Not sure if they extended the dates though!

Also during the interview they mentioned decisions would come out end of January or early February for MD/PhD 😅

Would love to know if anyone else has heard anything from MD/PhD!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly during my interview they mentioned all Caltech interviews would be completed in January. My Kaiser interview was in November and Caltech in January. Not sure if they extended the dates though!

Also during the interview they mentioned decisions would come out end of January or early February for MD/PhD 😅

Would love to know if anyone else has heard anything from MD/PhD!
That is correct. Decisions have been made for the most part, and they will come out later this month.

Anyone know if second look is in person? The acceptance letter seems to indicate it might be...

Complete in August, are they still sending out II's? The only correspondence I've received was on 12/18 letting us know they are still reviewing apps

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know if second look is in person? The acceptance letter seems to indicate it might be...
I think I remember them saying that it would be virtual this year, but maybe it'll change as COVID trends change (hopefully)?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who interviewed more recently heard back or know when they'll hear back?

Complete in August, are they still sending out II's? The only correspondence I've received was on 12/18 letting us know they are still reviewing apps
+1 haven't heard anything since 12/18 for the happy holidays email

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I recall the holidays email said they’re interviewing through March and with how close to dates they send out II...I’m hoping there may be a few more coming our way? Good luck to us all

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone who submitted an update post-interview hear anything back? (Confirmation receipt, etc)

Did anyone who submitted an update post-interview hear anything back? (Confirmation receipt, etc)
I sent mine around early January, and still nothing. I’m now assuming they wouldn’t send a decision out for us until around March 20th.

Check your portal to see if it has been uploaded. If not, then I would advise you to contact the adcom

Yeah, I sent my update and thank you letter in an email and they emailed back that they would add it to my file and send the thank you note to my interviewer. But if you uploaded it directly to the portal then they might not email you with a confirmation.

Do we think people will be hearing back post-interview today?

Historically decisions tend to come out around 10:30 PST I think on Wednesdays (both this year and last year I think). Still possible I guess but it would be pretty late.

has anyone been accepted? i know its rolling but i havent heard back in forever

has anyone been accepted? i know its rolling but i havent heard back in forever
The last acceptance reported on the thread was on 2/10. They have been releasing acceptances every two weeks on Wednesday. Yesterday no one reported anything (but they might’ve accepted people that aren’t on SDN/didn’t post). I think the next will be 3/10? However, we’re getting to the end of rolling admissions (March 20th is the last day according to the portal) so they might release them differently near the end.

A just now! I applied MD/PhD. Although the admissions decision didn't say anything about the PhD 😅

Would love to connect with anyone in the same boat!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
A just now! I applied MD/PhD. Although the admissions decision didn't say anything about the PhD 😅
Ayy, Congrats!! I don't know much about the MD/PhD admissions process here. Do you think they may be sending you a separate acceptance to the PhD program (like a letter with a CalTech letterhead)? lol

Congrats!! When did you interview?

Last year, the decision was communicated by phone call from just KPSOM and should have mentioned MD/PhD status. It would be odd if you weren't told so; I suggest sending an email for confirmation.

If you don't mind my asking, when did you interview?

Anyone get a II invite recently?

Mine says awaiting review
Mine as well. I think some people's status is under review, so i am not sure if that means they haven't looked at applications that are awaiting review. I hope i am so wrong.

Mine as well. I think some people's status is under review, so i am not sure if that means they haven't looked at applications that are awaiting review. I hope i am so wrong.
I've been accepted and it still says awaiting review

Sorry if this is repetitive, but can we send pre-II updates? I can’t find where post-secondary information is covered?

Sorry if anyone has asked this already.
Does KPSOM accept LOI after interview? or are we supposed to send it until we hear back from them?
Are they one of those schools who like LOI?

Sorry if anyone has asked this already.
Does KPSOM accept LOI after interview? or are we supposed to send it until we hear back from them?
Are they one of those schools who like LOI?
Unsure what they like, but I sent an update post-interview to have in writing what I've been doing since I submitted my primary, because I was unemployed then. I also just sent a letter of intent because this is my top choice and I'm hoping having that in before they start making decisions will help. Then again they might have decided back in November and are simply holding the decisions until March, who knows

Unsure what they like, but I sent an update post-interview to have in writing what I've been doing since I submitted my primary, because I was unemployed then. I also just sent a letter of intent because this is my top choice and I'm hoping having that in before they start making decisions will help. Then again they might have decided back in November and are simply holding the decisions until March, who knows

If you interviewed in November, i dont think they've already decided since they've been doing rolling admissions. If they decided either way, I think they would have let you know by now. Seems more likely they're just waiting to compare you to a wider pool of interviewees.