2020-2021 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still laugh at how I received an interview invite and the only available interview date was LITERALLY THE NEXT DAY! Never have I broken a sweat by just looking at a screen, lol. Luckily it was a system error and the admission team was able to sort it out really quickly 🙂
OMG THAT HAPPENED TO ME. It was 2 days from the invite. I, of course, being the courageous premed that I am said LET'S DO THIS. Only to later receive my confirmation email saying my interview was the next week. O.O' Fortunate I was able to learn much more.
 
do they screen pre or post secondary? sorry if discussed already..... also how holistic are they? low scores but 5 pubs / lots of research and clinical exp..... and outstanding LORs (4 from MDs, one being academic director of master's program...)
 
Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has interviewed/been accepted for the MD/PhD program?
If I remember correctly during my interview they mentioned all Caltech interviews would be completed in January. My Kaiser interview was in November and Caltech in January. Not sure if they extended the dates though!

Also during the interview they mentioned decisions would come out end of January or early February for MD/PhD 😅

Would love to know if anyone else has heard anything from MD/PhD!
 
If I remember correctly during my interview they mentioned all Caltech interviews would be completed in January. My Kaiser interview was in November and Caltech in January. Not sure if they extended the dates though!

Also during the interview they mentioned decisions would come out end of January or early February for MD/PhD 😅

Would love to know if anyone else has heard anything from MD/PhD!
That is correct. Decisions have been made for the most part, and they will come out later this month.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone who submitted an update post-interview hear anything back? (Confirmation receipt, etc)
Yeah, I sent my update and thank you letter in an email and they emailed back that they would add it to my file and send the thank you note to my interviewer. But if you uploaded it directly to the portal then they might not email you with a confirmation.
 
has anyone been accepted? i know its rolling but i havent heard back in forever
The last acceptance reported on the thread was on 2/10. They have been releasing acceptances every two weeks on Wednesday. Yesterday no one reported anything (but they might’ve accepted people that aren’t on SDN/didn’t post). I think the next will be 3/10? However, we’re getting to the end of rolling admissions (March 20th is the last day according to the portal) so they might release them differently near the end.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A just now! I applied MD/PhD. Although the admissions decision didn't say anything about the PhD 😅
Ayy, Congrats!! I don't know much about the MD/PhD admissions process here. Do you think they may be sending you a separate acceptance to the PhD program (like a letter with a CalTech letterhead)? lol
 
Last year, the decision was communicated by phone call from just KPSOM and should have mentioned MD/PhD status. It would be odd if you weren't told so; I suggest sending an email for confirmation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if this is repetitive, but can we send pre-II updates? I can’t find where post-secondary information is covered?
 
Sorry if anyone has asked this already.
Does KPSOM accept LOI after interview? or are we supposed to send it until we hear back from them?
Are they one of those schools who like LOI?
 
Sorry if anyone has asked this already.
Does KPSOM accept LOI after interview? or are we supposed to send it until we hear back from them?
Are they one of those schools who like LOI?
Unsure what they like, but I sent an update post-interview to have in writing what I've been doing since I submitted my primary, because I was unemployed then. I also just sent a letter of intent because this is my top choice and I'm hoping having that in before they start making decisions will help. Then again they might have decided back in November and are simply holding the decisions until March, who knows
 
Unsure what they like, but I sent an update post-interview to have in writing what I've been doing since I submitted my primary, because I was unemployed then. I also just sent a letter of intent because this is my top choice and I'm hoping having that in before they start making decisions will help. Then again they might have decided back in November and are simply holding the decisions until March, who knows

If you interviewed in November, i dont think they've already decided since they've been doing rolling admissions. If they decided either way, I think they would have let you know by now. Seems more likely they're just waiting to compare you to a wider pool of interviewees.