You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Massachusetts
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes!So now we have two weeks to complete this right?
Do you know when the first invites go out after completing this?No VITA is sent to everyone who completes the secondary at UMass. Some schools only send VITA with an actual II but not UMass unfortunately.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No VITA is sent to everyone who completes the secondary at UMass. Some schools only send VITA with an actual II but not UMass unfortunately.
How are you sure?
COVID-19 Impact on AdmissionsHow are you sure?
"All applicants who have completed all components of the School of Medicine application will be invited to record the AAMC Virtual Interview (VITA)."
I got so excited when I got the VITA invite. But now I'm just baffled - are they seriously planning to watch 4,000+ interviews?
I have a feeling they will only watch the ones they are seriously considering, which sucks 🙁COVID-19 Impact on Admissions
"All applicants who have completed all components of the School of Medicine application will be invited to record the AAMC Virtual Interview (VITA)."
I got so excited when I got the VITA invite. But now I'm just baffled - are they seriously planning to watch 4,000+ interviews?
COVID-19 Impact on Admissions
"All applicants who have completed all components of the School of Medicine application will be invited to record the AAMC Virtual Interview (VITA)."
I got so excited when I got the VITA invite. But now I'm just baffled - are they seriously planning to watch 4,000+ interviews?
4000 applicants x 18 min each = 72000 minutes = 1200 hours = 50 full days worth of extra material. Definitely seems like a lot of volume for them to review
Unless they send them through some creepy algorithm to score us 😕 AAMC isn't doing that but I guess there's nothing stopping individual schools from it.4000 applicants x 18 min each = 72000 minutes = 1200 hours = 50 full days worth of extra material. Definitely seems like a lot of volume for them to review
Just to be clear, when we complete this, can it be used for other schools that also use it? I know schools like Penn state, Temple, Nova use them as the actual IIUnless they send them through some creepy algorithm to score us 😕 AAMC isn't doing that but I guess there's nothing stopping individual schools from it.
I don’t understand why they didn’t just use casper4000 applicants x 18 min each = 72000 minutes = 1200 hours = 50 full days worth of extra material. Definitely seems like a lot of volume for them to review
Just to be clear, when we complete this, can it be used for other schools that also use it? I know schools like Penn state, Temple, Nova use them as the actual II
Yes, we will do this once and it will get sent to all schools that invite us to do it
EXACTLY! I woke up this morning and checked my email and became SO excited. :/COVID-19 Impact on Admissions
"All applicants who have completed all components of the School of Medicine application will be invited to record the AAMC Virtual Interview (VITA)."
I got so excited when I got the VITA invite. But now I'm just baffled - are they seriously planning to watch 4,000+ interviews?
D
deleted1054719
I have a feeling they will only watch the ones they are seriously considering, which sucks 🙁
I'm almost positive this'll be what happens. They'll do the normal screening on stats, ECs, and essays and then for the ones they feel interested in, will take time to watch one or two prompts that they are specifically curious about expanding on to determine II eligibility. It makes no sense for them to take time to watch the entire interview for every single applicant. There is also the possibility they will watch a specific prompt for every applicant though I guess!
D
deleted1054719
4000 applicants x 18 min each = 72000 minutes = 1200 hours = 50 full days worth of extra material. Definitely seems like a lot of volume for them to review
UMass has a fairly annoying secondary I wouldn't be shocked if a good percentage of that 4000 doesn't turn it in. But yea still a ton of people
When are you guys planning to actually sit down and do the VITA interview? How are you prepping? I'm nervous about this!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They have a practice VITA you can do. Also, they have two documents that walk you through how it all works. I would read what core competencies they ask questions on and come up with a few examples that show that competency. For the path to medical school question, just make sure you have thought out answers. I am definitely nervous too though, I have been dreading doing this all week haha but I will probably do mine on Sunday.When are you guys planning to actually sit down and do the VITA interview? How are you prepping? I'm nervous about this!
I will do all of that reading asap! I'll probably try to take the test on Sunday, too. Gotta just get it over with! Thanks for the help!They have a practice VITA you can do. Also, they have two documents that walk you through how it all works. I would read what core competencies they ask questions on and come up with a few examples that show that competency. For the path to medical school question, just make sure you have thought out answers. I am definitely nervous too though, I have been dreading doing this all week haha but I will probably do mine on Sunday.
For the CV/resume if we took a gap year do we include it even though we included all of our new stuff in the secondaries and AMCAS experience? the wording is kinda funky
I would only include it if it contains information and experiences that are not included in your primary application.
CountryBoy2134
Full Member
Indicate below if you are a MA resident or eligible for MA in-state tuition and complete the remainder of this form. You may still apply to UMASS SOM if you do not meet MA residency and/or in state tuition classification:
1) I am a MA resident and eligible for in-state tuition (complete all sections below)
2) I am not a MA resident but I am eligible for in-state tuition (complete all sections below)
3) I am currently a MA resident but I do not meet UMMS residency requirement to qualify for in-state tuition/fees. (complete sections 2 & 4 only)
4) I am not a MA resident and I am not eligible for in-state tuition (complete sections 2 & 4 only)
If I am an OOS student, but will be living in Boston for 12 months prior to matriculation, what does that classify me as?
1) I am a MA resident and eligible for in-state tuition (complete all sections below)
2) I am not a MA resident but I am eligible for in-state tuition (complete all sections below)
3) I am currently a MA resident but I do not meet UMMS residency requirement to qualify for in-state tuition/fees. (complete sections 2 & 4 only)
4) I am not a MA resident and I am not eligible for in-state tuition (complete sections 2 & 4 only)
If I am an OOS student, but will be living in Boston for 12 months prior to matriculation, what does that classify me as?
D
deleted1054719
Indicate below if you are a MA resident or eligible for MA in-state tuition and complete the remainder of this form. You may still apply to UMASS SOM if you do not meet MA residency and/or in state tuition classification:
1) I am a MA resident and eligible for in-state tuition (complete all sections below)
2) I am not a MA resident but I am eligible for in-state tuition (complete all sections below)
3) I am currently a MA resident but I do not meet UMMS residency requirement to qualify for in-state tuition/fees. (complete sections 2 & 4 only)
4) I am not a MA resident and I am not eligible for in-state tuition (complete sections 2 & 4 only)
If I am an OOS student, but will be living in Boston for 12 months prior to matriculation, what does that classify me as?
Neither a resident nor eligible. MA requires seven years of residency to qualify.
CountryBoy2134
Full Member
Neither a resident nor eligible. MA requires seven years of residency to qualify.
Would I not be eligible if I lived in Mass for one year before matriculation, though?
boopboopbeepboop
Full Member
Would I not be eligible if I lived in Mass for one year before matriculation, though?
Nope, my understanding is that you 1) yourself need the seven years of MA residency or 2) for an immediate family member (spouse, parents, sibling) to have lived in MA for seven years in order to qualify.
D
deleted1054719
Would I not be eligible if I lived in Mass for one year before matriculation, though?
MA has some of the most stringent residency requirements I know of for medical school. Unfortunately, no. Most students who spend all four years in MA won't even qualify.
D
deleted1054719
Just got an email confirming residency eligibility
Anyone down to do skype/zoom VITA practices?
@thetenthletter yes!
@thetenthletter yes!
I'll PM you! If anyone else is interested, feel free to join.
Does getting a VITA guarantee that you'll also get an in-person invite lol? Or do they use the VITA to also screen for interviews? I'm nervous about the virtual interviewing platform/feel like I'm not great at talking into a void haha
UMass states that VITA interview does not guarantee an invite to interview with the school. Honestly, I do not know whats with the hoops (VITA, CASPer, etc) for getting into medical school. Yet, AMA complains about shortage of doctors.
Honestly, UMASS is the only school that sent me VITA already and they require a two week turn around. I don't feel ready to do VITA and I would hate to do it now only because UMASS sent it so early and if I don't do well, then all the other schools using VITA will see the same videos.
Is anyone else worried about this? I lowkey want to do it late because it might impact my changes at UMASS but at least I wont ruin my shot at the 10 other schools that use VITA
Is anyone else worried about this? I lowkey want to do it late because it might impact my changes at UMASS but at least I wont ruin my shot at the 10 other schools that use VITA
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1054719
Honestly, UMASS is the only school that sent me VITA already and they require a two week turn around. I don't feel ready to do VITA and I would hate to do it now only because UMASS sent it so early and if I don't do well, then all the other schools using VITA will see the same videos.
Is anyone else worried about this? I lowkey want to do it late because it might impact my changes at UMASS but at least I wont ruin my shot at the 10 other schools that use VITA
As long as you're sure. It isn't "might impact your chances" but rather would likely be a "straight to the reject pile". Usually with these deadlines, they are pretty firm and not a recommendation.
Can anyone please confirm whether or not UMass sends complete emails? My portal says complete but I didn't receive an email. On the payment received message it said I would be notified when complete but wasn't sure if that would be an official email vs just a status update in the portal. Thank you!
wpneuro
Full Member
Can anyone please confirm whether or not UMass sends complete emails? My portal says complete but I didn't receive an email. On the payment received message it said I would be notified when complete but wasn't sure if that would be an official email vs just a status update in the portal. Thank you!
I didn't get any email from them (not even a payment received haha) but I'm marked complete on the portal and I've gotten the VITA invite too, so I'm assuming it's actually complete.
I submitted my secondary on Aug 12. How long after submission did you guys get the VITA invite?
wpneuro
Full Member
I submitted my secondary on Aug 12. How long after submission did you guys get the VITA invite?
I submitted 8/10, got the VITA invite 8/13. Looks like they're pretty fast, and I think VITA invites go out once a week(?)
D
deleted1054719
I submitted 8/10, got the VITA invite 8/13. Looks like they're pretty fast, and I think VITA invites go out once a week(?)
I submitted my secondary on Aug 12. How long after submission did you guys get the VITA invite?
VITA is sent at 8 AM EST every Thursday
This is exactly what I feel rnHonestly, UMASS is the only school that sent me VITA already and they require a two week turn around. I don't feel ready to do VITA and I would hate to do it now only because UMASS sent it so early and if I don't do well, then all the other schools using VITA will see the same videos.
Is anyone else worried about this? I lowkey want to do it late because it might impact my changes at UMASS but at least I wont ruin my shot at the 10 other schools that use VITA
Hey Everyone, I completed VITA last Tuesday. Do not get in your head too much about it. Use the AAMC Practice VITA and Savy PreMed created another practice one that I will try to link below. I advise using the full 60 seconds to think about and plan your answers. Also beforehand, flush out your answer to the why medicine and your path to medicine. Definitely get it done within two weeks. It really is not that bad and putting it off is just gonna make it worse. The questions are very similar to what you would expect secondary questions to be so rereading secondaries with a lot of questions might be helpful. Also, read both VITA manuals, they explain a lot. You can also stop after each question if you felt like you did not answer it great.
start.myinterview.com
Job Application | Radancy
Hey Everyone, I completed VITA last Tuesday. Do not get in your head too much about it. Use the AAMC Practice VITA and Savy PreMed created another practice one that I will try to link below. I advise using the full 60 seconds to think about and plan your answers. Also beforehand, flush out your answer to the why medicine and your path to medicine. Definitely get it done within two weeks. It really is not that bad and putting it off is just gonna make it worse. The questions are very similar to what you would expect secondary questions to be so rereading secondaries with a lot of questions might be helpful. Also, read both VITA manuals, they explain a lot. You can also stop after each question if you felt like you did not answer it great.
Job Application | Radancy
start.myinterview.com
Thanks for the helpful advice!
One question: does it record you during the 60 seconds too?
As far as I know it does not. So you can talk to yourself or whatever works for you. Also, I did it on my tablet since it had a better camera and when you show the question during the 3 minutes it blurs the video of you which I felt made me less nervous.Thanks for the helpful advice!
One question: does it record you during the 60 seconds too?
Just got a complete email. Submitted 7/21
+1 submitted 7/27. did you submit your VITA interview?Just got a complete email. Submitted 7/21
I also received an email saying they have processed my secondary. submitted 08/02.
edit: +2
edit: +2
D
deleted1054798
+3 and did vita like two hours agoI also received an email saying they have processed my secondary. submitted 08/02.
edit: +2
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't complete VITA yet either and I was slightly confused as to why I received the complete email. But when I rechecked Umass's website, it simply says "All applicants who have completed all components of the School of Medicine application will be invited to record the AAMC Virtual Interview (VITA). HireVue, the video interviewing platform for the VITA, will send an invitation to you." So I'm assuming the complete email does only refer to everything else, which is why we received a VITA invitation in the first place.I got a complete email but haven't done my VITA yet (planning on doing it tomorrow, before my 2 week deadline is up on Thursday) - does the complete part just refer to the other sections of the application?
zelazowawola
New Member
I got a complete email too! submitted my secondary on 8/6
It says:
We have received and processed your secondary application, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation and your application fee (if applicable). Your application is complete and will now be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
But I haven't done my VITA yet, so I'm wondering if it'll be a disadvantage if when they actually come to my app, my VITA isn't done even though the 2 week deadline, for me, is 8/27? But tbh I'm not very confident in my interview skills so idk if it'd be better if they just read my app without seeing VITA, haha
It says:
We have received and processed your secondary application, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation and your application fee (if applicable). Your application is complete and will now be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
But I haven't done my VITA yet, so I'm wondering if it'll be a disadvantage if when they actually come to my app, my VITA isn't done even though the 2 week deadline, for me, is 8/27? But tbh I'm not very confident in my interview skills so idk if it'd be better if they just read my app without seeing VITA, haha
futuredoc4634
Full Member
I'm worried about that too. My thought is that, it's unlikely they're going to actually read my file in the next few days, so I'll just take the extra time to prep and make sure it's solid. Plus I work full time, so it's not like I can rush it anyways!I got a complete email too! submitted my secondary on 8/6
It says:
We have received and processed your secondary application, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation and your application fee (if applicable). Your application is complete and will now be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
But I haven't done my VITA yet, so I'm wondering if it'll be a disadvantage if when they actually come to my app, my VITA isn't done even though the 2 week deadline, for me, is 8/27? But tbh I'm not very confident in my interview skills so idk if it'd be better if they just read my app without seeing VITA, haha
Anyone down to do skype/zoom VITA practices?
If its not tool late, I am interested.
How long did it take for you to get an invite from Hirvue for VITA? My secondary app was processed and completed on 8/17 and I still haven't received anything. IS