2022-2023 Eastern Virginia

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

My interview felt intense . The reason - school needs to standardize to an extent to make sure the applicants are evaluated the same way . But trust the process !
Advice- remember that there is something special that each and every one of you has . Be proud of YOU. Stay confident and humble . Show your energy . Show why you want this .

Favorite:
1. People - best administrative stuff by far . Amazing professors . They are always available
2. Free tutoring for anyone
3. True pass fail
4. Your percentile doesn’t go into deans letter unless you are top 10%. It’s huge for residency . Basically, you can be the bottom of your class and no one will know
5. Great remediation - if you fail exsm, not a big deal . You just retake it . They are not there to fail you - they are there to help you learn
6. Good research opportunities- I published several things . There are ppl who will help find opportunities if that’s what you want .
7. Free uworld!!!!
Sign me up💯
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My interview felt intense . The reason - school needs to standardize to an extent to make sure the applicants are evaluated the same way . But trust the process !
Advice- remember that there is something special that each and every one of you has . Be proud of YOU. Stay confident and humble . Show your energy . Show why you want this .

Favorite:
1. People - best administrative stuff by far . Amazing professors . They are always available
2. Free tutoring for anyone
3. True pass fail
4. Your percentile doesn’t go into deans letter unless you are top 10%. It’s huge for residency . Basically, you can be the bottom of your class and no one will know
5. Great remediation - if you fail exsm, not a big deal . You just retake it . They are not there to fail you - they are there to help you learn
6. Good research opportunities- I published several things . There are ppl who will help find opportunities if that’s what you want .
7. Free uworld!!!!
Wow thank you so much for all of this! This makes me even more excited. Thanks again and best of luck with your interviews for residency 🙂
 
Current EVMS M4. Ask me anything.

How has your experience been in rotations with the attendings/residents/healthcare staff?

How easy/difficult have you found it to balance academics with self care & enjoying life outside of school?

Did you like M1/M2 better or M3/M4?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!!!
 
i liked M1/M2 MUCH better than M3, but thats because I am an introverted pathologist in the making. Majority of ppl i know like M3 more.

Attendings/residents/healthcare staff - just depends on personalities you encounter. People are people. Id say majority are good. Some you wont like, but its relatively easy to just create distance between you and them. Id say that our OBGYN rotation, for example, is much better (aka much less stressful hours wise) than some of my friends in other schools. Our surgery is easier than a lot of other ones that i know about. i LOVED our pediatrics rotation, - we have a stand alone hospital. So overall, the rotations are either the same as everywhere, or better. I have friends in other school that pulled CRAZY hours. THat was insane.

I worked all the way through medical school, quit just for step 2 prep. I play video games, dnd, paint. So id say I have plenty of time.
 
i liked M1/M2 MUCH better than M3, but thats because I am an introverted pathologist in the making. Majority of ppl i know like M3 more.

Attendings/residents/healthcare staff - just depends on personalities you encounter. People are people. Id say majority are good. Some you wont like, but its relatively easy to just create distance between you and them. Id say that our OBGYN rotation, for example, is much better (aka much less stressful hours wise) than some of my friends in other schools. Our surgery is easier than a lot of other ones that i know about. i LOVED our pediatrics rotation, - we have a stand alone hospital. So overall, the rotations are either the same as everywhere, or better. I have friends in other school that pulled CRAZY hours. THat was insane.

I worked all the way through medical school, quit just for step 2 prep. I play video games, dnd, paint. So id say I have plenty of time.

that’s so helpful thank you!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: M&L
Just wanted to dump post interview thoughts! Mine was very relaxed conversational and friendly. I think they're asking everyone 5 questions and 1 of them being ethical mmi kinda question. I think it is unfortunately a luck of the draw what kind of panel you will get but I have nothing but good things to say about the school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get a call for their II? Just got one for this Wednesday! Are most of the questions about our application or about why EVMS?
I think most people receive an email instructing them to call the schedule about two weeks out, but I would assume that they called you in order to schedule a more last-minute date! I haven't had my interview yet, but from what I have heard, it seems like the panel has a set list of questions that they ask to all interviewees spanning a range of topics like extracurriculars/mission fit type stuff to ethical type questions.
 
just got a II! very excited. how long after the interview does it take to hear back with a decision?

i received my invite via email with instructions to call.
 
Last edited:
just got a II! very excited. how long after the interview does it take to hear back with a decision?

i received my invite via mail with instructions to call.

When those of us in the first round of interviews get a decision, trust we will let you know [emoji1787]. I do think you should ask them during your info session/ interview though because I don’t think a decision timeline is posted on the website.
 
Anyone else dying about hearing back about decisions? I physically cannot stop myself from refreshing my email all day the past week.
I'm thinking we won't hear anything until Friday. But who knows at this point? It's all just a feeling so I live my life haha
 
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin
every day I wait and every day I play myself
 
When those of us in the first round of interviews get a decision, trust we will let you know [emoji1787]. I do think you should ask them during your info session/ interview though because I don’t think a decision timeline is posted on the website.
good to know and best of luck to you!! yeah that’s a great idea i’ll do that if i’m able to attend it. i scheduled for a friday interview and the info sessions seem to be every wednesday, but i work FT so not sure if i’ll make it
 
II today. From a military family with ties to the area & am in the process of applying for the Navy HPSP. OOS, close to the median MCAT and GPA. Does anyone have tips for the interview?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My tips: be yourself and smile. Laugh a little to help break the tension. Make sure you know why you applied to EVMS and why you want to be a doctor. Be prepared to answer what you think are major issues in the US Healthcare system. What would you do if your coworker came to work drunk. Don't feel intimidated by the three interviewers; they're super nice and take turns speaking with you. They ask questions about your activity section. Oh, and make sure you read the mission and values section.
In general, make sure you have two personal examples for each core value for a school. If the values are integrity, compassion, and empathy, then have two personal examples for each value so that you may resonate with the interviewers.
Don't say, "I have integrity because of..." Make it flow naturally. Say, "Well, to answer your question, there was this one time [integrity example]."
Aside from that, you'll do great.
 
My tips: be yourself and smile. Laugh a little to help break the tension. Make sure you know why you applied to EVMS and why you want to be a doctor. Be prepared to answer what you think are major issues in the US Healthcare system. What would you do if your coworker came to work drunk. Don't feel intimidated by the three interviewers; they're super nice and take turns speaking with you. They ask questions about your activity section. Oh, and make sure you read the mission and values section.
In general, make sure you have two personal examples for each core value for a school. If the values are integrity, compassion, and empathy, then have two personal examples for each value so that you may resonate with the interviewers.
Don't say, "I have integrity because of..." Make it flow naturally. Say, "Well, to answer your question, there was this one time [integrity example]."
Aside from that, you'll do great.
Thiccy
 
I attended one of the Wednesday info sessions recently and they said decisions should be out 3-4 weeks after your interview so Im surprised no one has found out yet. Also a current student told me anecdotally they waitlist a lot of students and something like 2/3 of the class come from the WL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad