You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 UC Irvine
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It could be you have already been selected for an interview but they haven't formally invited you yet. Based on the last few replies, this sounds like the more likely scenario. Still, the fact they filled their interview slots for October to December does not sound right to me since this thread has been dead silent.jeez February?? Does this mean that those of use who also submitted in July are just soft rejected?
But still, they haven't sent a rejection wave so it could go either way.
Last edited:
I feel like that was also there way of just saying that they don’t know yet loll…would be epic if they started that early tho 🙏i interviewed 09/05 and they said the earliest we can hear back is 10/15. maybe their top picks will get offers next week
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone scheduled interviews between October and December? Why are those months completely blank here?i interviewed 09/05 and they said the earliest we can hear back is 10/15. maybe their top picks will get offers next week
jrlybob1
Full Member
Has anyone scheduled interviews between October and December? Why are those months completely blank here?
iirc there were october dates available when i scheduled mine back in august
youmatter:)
Full Member
I want to send an update about a new research position, new projects, and submitted but not yet accepted/published abstracts. In the portal, I can select the type as Research/Publications but in paratheses, it says citation only. Does this mean they don't care about new research unless it's a new publication? or can I send a paragraph explaining what I've been doing...
eggplant05
Full Member
They opened up one date in February and one date in March last nightWhat interview dates have been available, including past dates? I honestly have a hard time believing they've filled their available interview slots from October to December.
So October to December are non-existent? As in they never made any dates?They opened up one date in February and one date in March last night
eggplant05
Full Member
Yeah, the earliest available was 2/13So October to December are non-existent? As in they never made any dates?
For those not seeing any interview dates, when I received my II there were 2 dates available: 1 in Oct and 1 in Nov. I assume there is 1 interview day per month.So October to December are non-existent? As in they never made any dates?
I want to send an update about a new research position, new projects, and submitted but not yet accepted/published abstracts. In the portal, I can select the type as Research/Publications but in paratheses, it says citation only. Does this mean they don't care about new research unless it's a new publication? or can I send a paragraph explaining what I've been doing...
I think there's the "other" option for the update category, so maybe you could put new research in there!
Gonna go cry then. That means they're about done sending out interviews and I'm not one of them.For those not seeing any interview dates, when I received my II there were 2 dates available: 1 in Oct and 1 in Nov. I assume there is 1 interview day per month.
if they interviewed you, they liked what they saw in your application! you definitely have a shot. best of luck to you 🙂Do I have a shot at an A as an asian male if I have 510 MCAT and 3.7 gpa. Completed II in september.
jrlybob1
Full Member
Do I have a shot at an A as an asian male if I have 510 MCAT and 3.7 gpa. Completed II in september.
if you did your interview in sept then you were one of the first invitees. they like you
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Post-II acceptance rate is 50%. Toss a coin and find out.Do I have a shot at an A as an asian male if I have 510 MCAT and 3.7 gpa. Completed II in september.
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't relate.the stuff in the post interview email would’ve been nice to watch before the interview lol
Not unless they have the logistics to have more students during preclinicals.Do you guys think they will accept more students this year since they’re opening a new hospital near campus?
findingdory
Full Member
when do yall think we'll hear back?
Any time between now and next June.when do yall think we'll hear back?
zeyaatin
Full Member
Do you guys think they will accept more students this year since they’re opening a new hospital near campus?
They didn’t say anything about increased class size on interview day. I personally don’t think it’s likely
Historically not until late Oct-early Novwhen do yall think we'll hear back?
newkungfukenny
Full Member
echoing thisHistorically not until late Oct-early Nov
source: Cycletracker and admit.org
Many people are in the same boat as you. I can totally understand the fear and anxiety that this process brings. I encourage you to put more faith in your application -- there are still many months to hear back from schools!So far no interview at all from any college. Anyone on the same boat. Freaking out.
P.S. it may be more helpful to make a singular post outside of school specific threads instead of posting the same thing in multiple threads. That way you won't be "ping"ing people a bunch of times 🙂
II MSTP C:7/23 LM 72!
i pray that kira talent is not weighed heavily...
Chi_Pre-med
Full Member
Hey guys! Current MS1 at UCI, just thought I’d hop on here to answer some questions/ give reassurance. Just FYI, I’m not involved in admissions so this is just based on my experience.
First off, UCI loves scheduling interviews really far out (idk why). I received my invite in November and they didn’t have any spots open (I emailed them and they opened up a spot in late February). So I wouldn’t worry too much on that front. I think it’s just because, unfortunately, they are pretty disorganized.
Second, I don’t think Kira talent matters that much. I absolutely bombed my Kira talent and here I am. I thought that Kira talent was traditional and the zoom interview was MMI so I wasn’t prepared AT ALL.
Third, as far as I know, there is no plan of increasing class size. They just re-did the medical education building so they don’t really have space to accommodate more people. It would also mean completely overhauling the way we do anatomy lab, which I don’t see happening
Best of luck! You guys got this! Feel free to DM me with any specific questions and I’ll try to get back to you 🙂
First off, UCI loves scheduling interviews really far out (idk why). I received my invite in November and they didn’t have any spots open (I emailed them and they opened up a spot in late February). So I wouldn’t worry too much on that front. I think it’s just because, unfortunately, they are pretty disorganized.
Second, I don’t think Kira talent matters that much. I absolutely bombed my Kira talent and here I am. I thought that Kira talent was traditional and the zoom interview was MMI so I wasn’t prepared AT ALL.
Third, as far as I know, there is no plan of increasing class size. They just re-did the medical education building so they don’t really have space to accommodate more people. It would also mean completely overhauling the way we do anatomy lab, which I don’t see happening
Best of luck! You guys got this! Feel free to DM me with any specific questions and I’ll try to get back to you 🙂
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jrlybob1
Full Member
Hey guys! Current MS[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]] at UCI, just thought I’d hop on here to answer some questions/ give reassurance. Just FYI, I’m not involved in admissions so this is just based on my experience.
First off, UCI loves scheduling interviews really far out (idk why). I received my invite in November and they didn’t have any spots open (I emailed them and they opened up a spot in late February). So I wouldn’t worry too much on that front. I think it’s just because, unfortunately, they are pretty disorganized.
Second, I don’t think Kira talent matters that much. I absolutely bombed my Kira talent and here I am. I thought that Kira talent was traditional and the zoom interview was MMI so I wasn’t prepared AT ALL.
Third, as far as I know, there is no plan of increasing class size. They just re-did the medical education building so they don’t really have space to accommodate more people. It would also mean completely overhauling the way we do anatomy lab, which I don’t see happening
Best of luck! You guys got this! Feel free to DM me with any specific questions and I’ll try to get back to you 🙂
If you don’t mind sharing, how has your experience at UCI been since starting a few months ago?
findingdory
Full Member
Has anyone submitted updates post II?
Chi_Pre-med
Full Member
In
One of my favorite classes is clinical foundations, where we learn the “skills” side of medicine. We are placed in a small group (4-5 people) with a physician mentor who teaches us the skills. It’s really nice to have the really focused attention.
The only downside to UCI is disorganization. We don’t have a set schedule. Every day of every week is different. Not just what classes we have, but what time we have to be at school and what time we leave. It can be hard to keep track of. Also, we have a lot of professors and they don’t connect well with each other. This is why I say I like the basic science classes rather than really loving them. I like the material, I just think it’s presented in a confusing way. Fortunately though, there are a lot of ways to succeed despite that. The MS2s hold tutoring sessions and pre-exam reviews and there is an enormous in-house anki deck that gets passed down.
Overall, I’m a big fan of UCI. Obviously med school is hard. I get tired and overwhelmed, but I can still honestly that (so far) this has been the happiest time of my life, and I really hope that (regardless of where you end up) you have the same experience.
Honestly, it’s been really good. I like med school WAY more than I liked undergrad. I love Irvine, I generally like my classes, and I really like the UCI community. There’s no competitiveness and people are frequently share study resources and plan class-wide events.If you don’t mind sharing, how has your experience at UCI been since starting a few months ago?
One of my favorite classes is clinical foundations, where we learn the “skills” side of medicine. We are placed in a small group (4-5 people) with a physician mentor who teaches us the skills. It’s really nice to have the really focused attention.
The only downside to UCI is disorganization. We don’t have a set schedule. Every day of every week is different. Not just what classes we have, but what time we have to be at school and what time we leave. It can be hard to keep track of. Also, we have a lot of professors and they don’t connect well with each other. This is why I say I like the basic science classes rather than really loving them. I like the material, I just think it’s presented in a confusing way. Fortunately though, there are a lot of ways to succeed despite that. The MS2s hold tutoring sessions and pre-exam reviews and there is an enormous in-house anki deck that gets passed down.
Overall, I’m a big fan of UCI. Obviously med school is hard. I get tired and overwhelmed, but I can still honestly that (so far) this has been the happiest time of my life, and I really hope that (regardless of where you end up) you have the same experience.
How is the housing situation? Do you live on or off campus?Hey guys! Current MS1 at UCI, just thought I’d hop on here to answer some questions/ give reassurance. Just FYI, I’m not involved in admissions so this is just based on my experience.
First off, UCI loves scheduling interviews really far out (idk why). I received my invite in November and they didn’t have any spots open (I emailed them and they opened up a spot in late February). So I wouldn’t worry too much on that front. I think it’s just because, unfortunately, they are pretty disorganized.
Second, I don’t think Kira talent matters that much. I absolutely bombed my Kira talent and here I am. I thought that Kira talent was traditional and the zoom interview was MMI so I wasn’t prepared AT ALL.
Third, as far as I know, there is no plan of increasing class size. They just re-did the medical education building so they don’t really have space to accommodate more people. It would also mean completely overhauling the way we do anatomy lab, which I don’t see happening
Best of luck! You guys got this! Feel free to DM me with any specific questions and I’ll try to get back to you 🙂
Chi_Pre-med
Full Member
Unless you’re in one of the special program (ie: MSTP, LEAD-ABC, PRIME-LC) it’s a gamble whether or not you get on campus housing. I’d say that about 1/3 of my classmates live on campus. I live off campus. On campus is nice because you’re closer to school and it’s way cheaper, but it’s about a 30 minute walk. Most people who live on-campus have to bike, because they aren’t allowed parking permits (you can only get a parking permit if you like more than 2 miles away from campus). I love where I live. It’s expensive, but unfortunately Irvine is an expensive area to live in. At least the apartment complexes are nice so you’re not being gouged for a trash place to liveHow is the housing situation? Do you live on or off campus?
findingdory
Full Member
My faculty interview was really short. It ended in ~15 min and my student interview was 40 min. Also didn't get a lunch break but was able to eat between interviews. Hope this helps!For anyone that’s had an interview yet, does each interview last like an hour? Or is it close to 30 mins?
My agenda didn’t give me anytime for lunch if it’s an hour :/
zeyaatin
Full Member
For anyone that’s had an interview yet, does each interview last like an hour? Or is it close to [emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]] mins?
My agenda didn’t give me anytime for lunch if it’s an hour :/
I think mine were about thirty five min each, highly doubt you’ll push beyond that unless for some reason you have a ton of questions for them
soccerguy974
Full Member
What were some of the interview questions that were asked?
Sorry, this kind of request cannot be answered. Unethical.What were some of the interview questions that were asked?
soccerguy974
Full Member
What were the themes of questions asked?... Also the student doctor network interview feedback website has a section for "What is one of the specific questions they asked you"Sorry, this kind of request cannot be answered. Unethical.
I have noticed this year that many schools have asked students not to reveal the exact questions to others.What were the themes of questions asked?... Also the student doctor network interview feedback website has a section for "What is one of the specific questions they asked you"
You may need to go by past posts, or, be ready for anything they ask you.
Please don't DM asking for specific questions either. It's super uncomfortable!!
backpackgf
Full Member
The Kira Talent was pretty standard MMI questions in my opinion. The interview questions were tailored to my app so even if interviewees did share them they probably wouldn’t help you prepare. Just know your app (writing and experiences) well and practice standard interview questions.What were the themes of questions asked?... Also the student doctor network interview feedback website has a section for "What is one of the specific questions they asked you"
It’s normal to ask, but if the school has asked students not to give away specific questions then it’s also fine to learn to take “no” for an answer when another student tells you they will keep it confidential.Sorry, this kind of request cannot be answered. Unethical.
soccerguy974
Full Member
The interview must be a huge factor in your acceptance then if they are so serious about interview questions getting out, must no longer be about yours stats anymore...It’s normal to ask, but if the school has asked students not to give away specific questions then it’s also fine to learn to take “no” for an answer when another student tells you they will keep it confidential.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hopefulpremed53
Full Member
My faculty interview lasted about an hour cause we were just chatting but my med student one was closer to 30 mins. I think the interviewers are told to at least spend 30 mins with you.For anyone that’s had an interview yet, does each interview last like an hour? Or is it close to 30 mins?
My agenda didn’t give me anytime for lunch if it’s an hour :/
soccerguy974
Full Member
Do I have to schedule a KIRA interview or can I just log on whenever I want to complete it?That has nothing to do with it. They just don’t want some applicants to have an unfair advantage by knowing every single question beforehand. Especially the KIRA interview which is designed to make you think on your feet.
I didn't get an ii and I have that
urmomsdoctor2024
New Member
pretty sure everyone gets itDoes anyone who interviewed also see UCI student ID assigned? Is this a good sign?