This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! This is my first post! I am about to begin my senior year and I have a couple of questions regarding setting myself up to apply for PhD programs in clinical psychology.

First, my stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.81
Major GPA: 4.0
GPA last two years: 4.0
GRE: NEED TO TAKE

Research Experience: I will be working on an honors research project and writing an honors thesis this coming year, as well as supporting another honors student with her project (essentially allowing my name on two projects).

"Teaching" Experience: I am currently a Supplemental Instruction Leader at my university and have thus far taught General Writing Assistance (available to all students from any major) and Intro to Experimental Psychology.

Volunteer/Clinical Experience: Six months volunteering at a center for grieving children who have lost loved ones.

My questions are as follows:

1. I am about to change my major from Psychology to Biological Psychology. I fell in love with bio psych and I also hope a bio psych major will help distinguish my grad school application from the many psychology majors. Is this a smart move? Will being a "biological" psychology major help or hurt me at all? Does it even matter?

2. I am leaning towards doing a master's degree in General/Experimental Psychology before going onto a PhD program in clinical psych. My thought is that gaining the added research and teaching experience, as well as the possibility of publishing while working on my master's, will be a great benefit when applying to PhD programs. On the other hand, I have been told that if I do very well on the GRE's, I have a great looking application without the master's and should try to take a year off school and apply straight for PhD programs. Any thoughts on this based on my stats above?

Thank you so much for helping students like myself!!!

I'm planning to apply to clinical psychology PhD programs that will begin in the fall of '15 -

Potential PhD Programs (Not necessarily in order):
Boston University (Lots of trauma research there and good practicum sites in Boston)
U. of Mass. @ Boston
U. of New Hampshire
U. of Denver
UC Irvine
UC Santa Cruz
Emory University
George Washington University
University of Illinois @ Chicago
NYU (Counseling Psych)
Northwestern - Weinberg
Loyola Chicago
U. of Washington
U. of Maryland: College Park

I'm a bit confused - some of the above do not have clinical programs (those two UCs, U New Hampshire). ?

You appear to have quite a bit of strong research experience that can offset GPA, etc. Are all of your letter writers able to speak (write) to your ability to conduct a research project from beginning to end (rather than just one task in Lab A, and a different task in Lab B, etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! This is my first post! I am about to begin my senior year and I have a couple of questions regarding setting myself up to apply for PhD programs in clinical psychology.

First, my stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.81
Major GPA: 4.0
GPA last two years: 4.0
GRE: NEED TO TAKE

Research Experience: I will be working on an honors research project and writing an honors thesis this coming year, as well as supporting another honors student with her project (essentially allowing my name on two projects).

"Teaching" Experience: I am currently a Supplemental Instruction Leader at my university and have thus far taught General Writing Assistance (available to all students from any major) and Intro to Experimental Psychology.

Volunteer/Clinical Experience: Six months volunteering at a center for grieving children who have lost loved ones.

My questions are as follows:

1. I am about to change my major from Psychology to Biological Psychology. I fell in love with bio psych and I also hope a bio psych major will help distinguish my grad school application from the many psychology majors. Is this a smart move? Will being a "biological" psychology major help or hurt me at all? Does it even matter?

2. I am leaning towards doing a master's degree in General/Experimental Psychology before going onto a PhD program in clinical psych. My thought is that gaining the added research and teaching experience, as well as the possibility of publishing while working on my master's, will be a great benefit when applying to PhD programs. On the other hand, I have been told that if I do very well on the GRE's, I have a great looking application without the master's and should try to take a year off school and apply straight for PhD programs. Any thoughts on this based on my stats above?

Thank you so much for helping students like myself!!!

Do you have any research experience before your honors thesis? If so, you may be able to apply this year if you do well on the GRE. I know many people from my UG who got into good programs with 1 year of research experience before thesis + honors thesis.

As far as your questions go:

1. I am not sure if it matters, but I would go to program websites and make sure you have all the pre-reqs. You might have to take the Psychology GRE too depending on how much you have.

2. I think a Master's is a good idea, but a full-time research assistant/coordinator position might get you better experience AND $$ (as opposed to paying). You have a good GPA so in your case a RA/RC position is prbly better than a Masters. With that being said, these are competitive, so I would get yourself a volunteer part-time RA/RC
position in undergrad.

I'm a bit confused - some of the above do not have clinical programs (those two UCs, U New Hampshire). ?

You appear to have quite a bit of strong research experience that can offset GPA, etc. Are all of your letter writers able to speak (write) to your ability to conduct a research project from beginning to end (rather than just one task in Lab A, and a different task in Lab B, etc)?

Wow, you're right. I added a few of those schools after only looking over the Div. 56 Undergraduate and Graduate Education In Trauma Psychology document for good research matches. I mistook the list to only include clinical programs,when it seems like they include many various grad programs in addition to clinical. UC Irvine & Santa Cruz; & U. New Hampshire all don't have clinical programs.

Here is a link to the list I was using - it's a little misleading that they don't tell you what each of the schools offer their PhD/PsyD in:

http://www.apatraumadivision.org/resources/apa_doctoral_sites.pdf

Last edited:
Ah, yes, I can see how that could be misleading. I took a quick glance at the list, and it also seems to be a bit outdated - at least one of the folks listed has been at a different institution for the last 3 years, so please be careful with that list.

I generally recommend the Insider's Guide as a starting place for checking for particular research topics in clinical/counseling programs. The Guide is usually updated every two years. And of course there's no substitute for affiliations listed on recent articles.

I don't mean to derail the thread, though :). To briefly repeat from above, you're probably in good shape if your recommenders can detail your grasp of the full research process.

Hello,

Here is my story: I was admitted to University of California, Santa Barbara as an undergraduate Pre-biology major. I was an unfocused, ungrateful student, did terribly, and was almost academically disqualified by the end of my 2nd year. I petitioned to re-enter as a Philosophy major (citing a lack of interest in my major as the reason for my academic slump). I did that for a year, receiving mostly B's. Before finishing that major I decided to switch over to Psychology at the beginning of my fourth year. I received only A's, A-'s and Passes the entire year. I was able to graduate by the end of my fourth year as a Psychology major with a total GPA of 2.74 and a major GPA of about 3.63.

Because I began pursuing Psychology in my fourth year, university labs would not accept me and as a result I have had sparse but not unimpressive research experience that have only spanned several months at a time.

I have been researching to apply to doctoral programs for Clinical Psychology, and have ruled PhD's easily out of the question (not only because of the research focus, but also my lack of relevant research experience and low GPA). I have been looking in-depth into PsyD programs, and based on my good undergraduate institution but my low GPA, I am thining I could still get into some PsyD programs, possibly such as Alliant University in San Fran (which has a low GPA waiver form). But I am wondering how far off I am from getting into a non-bull****, respected program (i.e. Not Chicago School of Professional Psychology, no offense to those there). Would my upward trend in grades as a Psych major be enough of a positive attribute to justify accepting me?

ByTheWay: Being in a university-urban city environment is my strong preference, and perhaps taking another year off to boost my application to be able to enter such a program would be a good idea. Though I hate the prospect of spending any more time at home. I am also considering MSW programs to boost my doctoral app, but they mostly require 3.0 GPA's as well. Would these pathways be worth it/appropriate? Leaving Money Aside. Damn GPA!

I know this is long, so thank you to anyone who responds. :)

Last edited:
Hello,

Here is my story: I was admitted to University of California, Santa Barbara as an undergraduate Pre-biology major. I was an unfocused, ungrateful student, did terribly, and was almost academically disqualified by the end of my 2nd year. I petitioned to re-enter as a Philosophy major (citing a lack of interest in my major as the reason for my academic slump). I did that for a year, receiving mostly B's. Before finishing that major I decided to switch over to Psychology at the beginning of my fourth year. I received only A's, A-'s and Passes the entire year. I was able to graduate by the end of my fourth year as a Psychology major with a total GPA of 2.74 and a major GPA of about 3.63.

Because I began pursuing Psychology in my fourth year, university labs would not accept me and as a result I have had sparse but not unimpressive research experience that have only spanned several months at a time.

I have been researching to apply to doctoral programs for Clinical Psychology, and have ruled PhD's easily out of the question (not only because of the research focus, but also my lack of relevant research experience and low GPA). I have been looking in-depth into PsyD programs, and based on my good undergraduate institution but my low GPA, I am thining I could still get into some PsyD programs, possibly such as Alliant University in San Fran (which has a low GPA waiver form). But I am wondering how far off I am from getting into a non-bull****, respected program (i.e. Not Chicago School of Professional Psychology, no offense to those there). Would my upward trend in grades as a Psych major be enough of a positive attribute to justify accepting me?

ByTheWay: Being in a university-urban city environment is my strong preference, and perhaps taking another year off to boost my application to be able to enter such a program would be a good idea. Though I hate the prospect of spending any more time at home. I am also considering MSW programs to boost my doctoral app, but they mostly require 3.0 GPA's as well. Would these pathways be worth it/appropriate? Leaving Money Aside. Damn GPA!

This should be moved to WAMC

Hello,

Moved to the WAMC thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any research experience before your honors thesis? If so, you may be able to apply this year if you do well on the GRE. I know many people from my UG who got into good programs with 1 year of research experience before thesis + honors thesis.

As far as your questions go:

1. I am not sure if it matters, but I would go to program websites and make sure you have all the pre-reqs. You might have to take the Psychology GRE too depending on how much you have.

2. I think a Master's is a good idea, but a full-time research assistant/coordinator position might get you better experience AND $$ (as opposed to paying). You have a good GPA so in your case a RA/RC position is prbly better than a Masters. With that being said, these are competitive, so I would get yourself a volunteer part-time RA/RC
position in undergrad.

Thanks so much for your input! Actually, I do not have any research prior to my honors thesis, but I will be taking two experimental lab courses this year that both involve a full research project and paper from start to finish, I will have my honors thesis, and I will be working on two other research projects with another honors student and another faculty member.

I definitely appreciate your suggestion about getting a RA/RC position rather than obtaining a Master's. I think that makes perfect sense. It will definitely be on my list of considerations. It would save me the money I would spend on a Master's program, and actually even save me a year in the long run, if I were to get accepted into a Ph.D. program after my year off.

I appreciate all of the information!! Thanks again!!! :)

Hi yall,

This isn’t just a standard YAMC, Ive got a couple of questions at the end.

GPA: 3.92
GRE: taking VERY soon, practice tests are in the V: 168-169 and Q 154-157 range

Research experience:
• 2.5 yrs in undergrad, including a senior thesis and two fulltime summer internships
• 3 mos post-grad in my thesis lab
• Currently have a research-related position. Not exactly traditional ra/rc but still involved in psych research.

Research products:
• Three first author posters, all at local level
• One first author paper, submitted and in review

I have also TA’d a fair amount as well.

Schools:

• U Miami (FL)
• USF
• UCF
• UF
• Emory
• Georgia State
• Baylor (PsyD)
• USC (CA)
• Catholic U
• George Mason
• George Washington

As you may have noticed, my schools are largely restricted to major metro areas, with the exception of UF. Many of them are of the most competitive band as far as apps received goes. Part of this geographic restriction is self-imposed; however, it is perhaps a bit narrower than I would like given that I have to accommodate my partner as well. He claims that even cities like Tampa or Orlando would be difficult for him to find a job in, though I’d disagree.

So my questions:

Am I being too narrow in my net-casting and likely setting myself up to have to re-apply for fall ’15? Do I need to broaden?

If so, and even if not, how did those in committed relationships/marriages deal with the tension between accommodating your partner’s needs and finding schools that were good fits and fair shots to you?

How, in general, did you prepare/discuss with him/her for the sacrifices (good word on the part of Erg923 BTW) and challenges associated with doctoral study in psychology? I don't feel like I am properly elucidating how different this is from the kind of pre-professional degree programs he attended for Ugrad/grad?

Call it the inner psychologist in me, but I want to make sure that I am being attentive to his needs and willing to compromise, while at the same time making sure I’m not screwing myself over.

Thanks so much for your opinions/sage advice!

Well, I'm not a psychology doctoral applicant but I'm asking here on behalf of someone else because the student doctor forums are so helpful.

As for her application; she is scoring consistently around 147/147 on her GRE practices (takes the real thing tomorrow), and is wondering what her chances are at some of the smaller schools. What she does have going for her are great extracurricular (published research with decent contribution, clinical volunteering, worked through school) and the fact that she received her Bachelor's in psychology in just 2 years, and a GPA around 3.9 .

I've done some research and from what I can tell the average scores accepted seem to be around mid 150's and up. What do you think her chances are at some of the smaller or larger state schools? We know nothing about the competitiveness or process, my knowledge is limited to medical applications. With an application like I described above, are her chances at least decent for getting into a doctoral program somewhere? Thanks in advance everyone.

Edit: Also, we are trying to get into the same schools or at least nearby. I've applied all over KY, WV, OH, and FL, any recommendations for what schools to try?

Last edited:
Hi yall,

This isn’t just a standard YAMC, Ive got a couple of questions at the end.

GPA: 3.92
GRE: taking VERY soon, practice tests are in the V: 168-169 and Q 154-157 range

Research experience:
• 2.5 yrs in undergrad, including a senior thesis and two fulltime summer internships
• 3 mos post-grad in my thesis lab
• Currently have a research-related position. Not exactly traditional ra/rc but still involved in psych research.

Research products:
• Three first author posters, all at local level
• One first author paper, submitted and in review

I have also TA’d a fair amount as well.

Schools:

• U Miami (FL)
• USF
• UCF
• UF
• Emory
• Georgia State
• Baylor (PsyD)
• USC (CA)
• Catholic U
• George Mason
• George Washington

As you may have noticed, my schools are largely restricted to major metro areas, with the exception of UF. Many of them are of the most competitive band as far as apps received goes. Part of this geographic restriction is self-imposed; however, it is perhaps a bit narrower than I would like given that I have to accommodate my partner as well. He claims that even cities like Tampa or Orlando would be difficult for him to find a job in, though I’d disagree.

So my questions:

Am I being too narrow in my net-casting and likely setting myself up to have to re-apply for fall ’15? Do I need to broaden?

If so, and even if not, how did those in committed relationships/marriages deal with the tension between accommodating your partner’s needs and finding schools that were good fits and fair shots to you?

How, in general, did you prepare/discuss with him/her for the sacrifices (good word on the part of Erg923 BTW) and challenges associated with doctoral study in psychology? I don't feel like I am properly elucidating how different this is from the kind of pre-professional degree programs he attended for Ugrad/grad?

Call it the inner psychologist in me, but I want to make sure that I am being attentive to his needs and willing to compromise, while at the same time making sure I’m not screwing myself over.

Thanks so much for your opinions/sage advice!

You have pretty good stats. My concern is that you're applying to areas, not POIs. Are there people at each of those universities whose research interests you share? (If yes, then great!)

That was how I explained PhD apps to my husband - it's not the specific school I'm interested, it's a specific person; the where part of it was secondary. Now, we had some geographic restrictions, but more along the lines of "I don't like earthquakes, so I'm not applying to schools in Cali if I can avoid it," types of restrictions; urban vs suburban vs rural didn't really factor into it.

I'd be curious as to what sort of work he does that he's worried about finding work outside major metropolitan areas, but that sort of discussion would go better in one of the regular threads (and/or feel free to PM me).

Hey! I know that this is a forum for doctorate students but I posted this in the masters section with no replies. I am still deciding between a doctorate and a masters program and was wondering if anyone here had any insight into these masters level social work programs.

Anyways,
I am interested in pursuing a degree in clinical social work and would like work with adolescents in a residential treatment setting and eventually work in a private practice alongside this. I have a list of schools that I am looking at but do not know average GPAs, GREs, and things along those lines so any advice, suggestions, and help would be greatly appreciated.

My info:
Undergrad GPA-3.3 with a major in Psychology
GRE Scores- 159 verbal, 151 Quant. 4.5 in the essay
Psych GRE Score-640
I have 1 1/2 years working at a Residential Treatment Facility and about 6 months of volunteering at a mental health facility, American Cancer Society, and a group that researches and fights against child abuse.

Schools (These are all MSW degree programs):

Boston College
Boston University
Salem University
George Mason University
Howard University
Fordham University
New York University
Columbia University
cuny hunter college
Portland State University
Yeshiva University
Stony Brook University
Rhode Island College
Touro College
University of Denver

Thanks everyone for any insight into these programs and where I stand on getting into one.

I am applying to clinical/counseling programs. Thank you ahead of time for any advice
Here's what I got,

Education
-Honors Bachelor of Science in Psychology: Minor: Applied Statistics
GPA: 3.91 (Major GPA around 4.0)
-Thesis title: Effects of Volunteering on the Meaning in Life of College Populations
-Large western research University
-GREv:162 GREq:150 AW: 4.5
-After this year I will have 3.5 years of research experience, 1 year coordinating the lab experiments
-Teacher assistant for 1 class of abnormal psychology
-One 2nd author paper under review (review of connections between social relationships and meaning in life)
-Two regional poster presentations
-3 strong Letters of recommendation
-Clinical experience: Direct support provider in group homes for adults with cognitive disabilities
-1 year of experience with stats program R, experienced/skill in wide range of stats methodologies, plus advanced stats ability through stats minor.

-Extra stuff: recipient of 2 scholarships -Deans list for 3 years -PsiChi -Presidential Leadership Program -Founder and president of Quidditch team and community service club for 2 years

-My research interests broadly include: resilience, post-traumatic growth, meaning in life and long-term goal making.
-Specifically I'd like to study/create a measure for the buffers/predictors of ptsd/trauma growth and eventually develop an intervention to magnify those buffers and attenuate the predictors.
-I'm interested in meaning in life as a large predictor, specifically adherence to long term goals

Thank you, current school list:
Uni of Minnesota (Twin cities)
Uni of Connecticut
West Virginia Uni
Uni of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Uni of Pennsylvania
Colorado State Uni
Uni of Missouri
Uni of Utah

If you have any suggestions over my school list, or additional programs that relate to my research interests (and also my chances in general), I would be very grateful!

A lot of those programs you listed are very research-oriented and will often want people to have a year or two of full-time research experience.

Also, I have to ask: Quidditch team?

I was thinking my 3.5 years of research experience and a year of lab coordination would be enough, are they expecting me to have another 2 years of full-time/paid research experience after I graduate?

Yep, fly on brooms. Its a pretty brutal game especially for the keeper who basically tackles oncoming players because its nigh impossible to block shots to 3 hoops.

Hello, my SO just received a 150 in verbal and a 140 quantitative on her first GRE.
In a nutshell:

-worked her way through college
-good amount of clinical volunteering
-3.9 GPA
-about a half year of research experience with possible publication
-graduated with her Bachelor's (and two minors) in just two years

We are looking at schools all over the Ohio, KY, and WV area. I know nothing of her chances, so we were going to cast a big application net and hope for the best:

Cincinatti,
Xavier,
Wright State,
La Salle,
Louisville,
Chestnut Hill,
Marshall University,
Univ Central Florida,
Ohio University (not ohio state),
and Spalding University.

Can anyone comment on what she can do to improve her application, or at least help me out by commenting on our relative chances at any of these places? Btw, she is Ohio resident.

Last edited:
I am planning to apply to Clinical PhD programs and am under the impression that my I am a somewhat non-traditional applicant, so I have no idea how competitive I am. I would really appreciate any input on where I stand.

Stats:
GPA: 3.79 from an Ivy League university. I took several human development courses but did not major in Psychology although I will complete necessary pre-reqs before applying.
GRE: 170 Verbal, 166 Quantitative, and 5 Writing

Research and Experience:
2 years as a teacher with Teach For America
1 summer internship in an Applied Developmental Psychology lab
4 months in a Child Clinical Psychology lab
No publications, posters, senior thesis, etc.

Recommendations: 3 strong letters although 1 will be from a non-psychology professor.

After reading these forums, I am concerned about my relative lack of publications and research experience. I am applying to POIs who focus on social and emotional interventions for children in school and community settings though, so I am hoping that my experience as a teacher combined with my minimal research will compensate for this somewhat. Could this be true?

While I don't have a ton of research experience, the experience I do have has made me confident that I want to pursue a career in research rather than private practice, which I will make clear in my statement of purpose.

I am planning to apply to these schools:
University of Pittsburgh
University of Illinois – Chicago
University of Pennsylvania
Rutgers
UCLA
University of Minnesota
Penn State
University of Washington
University of Virginia (Curry)
Loyola University Chicago
USC

Any input or advice about my chances or how I could strengthen my application would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

I am planning to apply to Clinical PhD programs and am under the impression that my I am a somewhat non-traditional applicant, so I have no idea how competitive I am. I would really appreciate any input on where I stand.

Stats:
GPA: 3.79 from an Ivy League university. I took several human development courses but did not major in Psychology although I will complete necessary pre-reqs before applying.

Research and Experience:

Recommendations: 3 strong letters although 1 will be from a non-psychology professor.

After reading these forums, I am concerned about my relative lack of publications and research experience. I am applying to POIs who focus on social and emotional interventions for children in school and community settings though, so I am hoping that my experience as a teacher combined with my minimal research will compensate for this somewhat. Could this be true?

While I don't have a ton of research experience, the experience I do have has made me confident that I want to pursue a career in research rather than private practice, which I will make clear in my statement of purpose.

University of Pittsburgh
Rutgers
UCLA
University of Minnesota
Penn State
University of Washington
USC

Any input or advice about my chances or how I could strengthen my application would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

IMHO, you have great numbers and great experiences. However, these experiences may not be what some of the programs on your list are looking for. Many of the programs listed (i.e Pitt, UPenn, UCLA, Washington, USC) are very research-heavy programs, and naturally, they will want their incoming students to have the prerequisuite research experience to be able to make it through the program. Especially concerning is you have only ~7 months combined research experience in two different labs. Ultimately, it will come down to what you did in these two labs, and what skills you have learned. Again, while your clinical experience may be unique and valuable, many of the programs you are applying to probably want to train clinical researchers, not private practice clinicians.

Also, everyone applying to PhD clin psych programs will say in their SOP they want to go into research, not private practice. Unless you have something compelling in your SOP, simply stating it without evidence (i.e. more research experience) to back it up won't set you apart.
My advice is to take some time off and gain more research experience.

IMHO, you have great numbers and great experiences. However, these experiences may not be what some of the programs on your list are looking for. Many of the programs listed (i.e Pitt, UPenn, UCLA, Washington, USC) are very research-heavy programs, and naturally, they will want their incoming students to have the prerequisuite research experience to be able to make it through the program. Especially concerning is you have only ~7 months combined research experience in two different labs. Ultimately, it will come down to what you did in these two labs, and what skills you have learned. Again, while your clinical experience may be unique and valuable, many of the programs you are applying to probably want to train clinical researchers, not private practice clinicians.

Also, everyone applying to PhD clin psych programs will say in their SOP they want to go into research, not private practice. Unless you have something compelling in your SOP, simply stating it without evidence (i.e. more research experience) to back it up won't set you apart.
My advice is to take some time off and gain more research experience.

Would you care to take a look at my post? (Just two posts before or so)

Stats:

Research and Experience:

University of Pittsburgh
Rutgers
UCLA
University of Minnesota
Penn State
University of Washington
USC

Have you considered doctoral programs in school psychology as well? It seems like that your research interest could potentially match up with POIs under the school psychology umbrella (in addition to clinical POIs). Also, your scores & GPA are fantastic -- so even though your research experience is kind of limited, I think that you would be a very competitive applicant!

Hi Everyone! Hope yall had a nice Labor Day Weekend!
Anyway, here we go:
Im applying for Clinical Psych

Undergrad GPA 3.4
GRE: V 153/500 Q 148/600 Essay 4.5

Past Work Experience:
Behavioral Therapist at UCLA Med for children diagnosed with Autism.

Currently working for a company in Northern Cal that employes Behavioral Therapists.

Currently a researcher in 3 different research labs
-2 at UCSF (1 in the Autism Clinic and 1 in a lab testing children with ADHD)
-1 at UC Berkeley in a lab conducting test on people with Bipolar Disorder

I'll be getting good letters of rec(I hope) from esteemed professors and MD's.
My statement of purpose is currently being edited by my cousin who has a PhD in Eng Lit from Penn.
My schools are as follows:
UC Berkeley
UCLA
UC Riverside
UC Santa Barbara -(THIS IS MY NUMBER 1 SCHOOL)
Palo Alto U
Purdue
UNC
U of Oregon
Long Island University
The New School
Gallaudet University
Suffolk University
BU
University of Denver

I'm applying to PHD programs at:

University of South Carolina
UCLA
University of Washington
Duke University
UNCG
University of Chicago
UC-Loyola
Virginia Tech
University of Virginia
University of Denver
University of Denver at Boulder

GRE:
Q:155
V:159
A: 5
(I'd appreciate it if you think I should retake it)

GPA: 4.0

Relevant Course Work:
1 year of undergraduate statistics
1 class advanced statistics
Disciplinary Honors (Honors Thesis)

Research Experience:
1.5 years undergraduate with same research group

I feel as though the POI's I've selected are decent research matches for the most part. I really don't want to spend a year out of school gathering experience. So if there are things that need to be stronger please say so.

Thank you!

Well, I'm not a psychology doctoral applicant but I'm asking here on behalf of someone else because the student doctor forums are so helpful.

As for her application; she is scoring consistently around 147/147 on her GRE practices (takes the real thing tomorrow), and is wondering what her chances are at some of the smaller schools. What she does have going for her are great extracurricular (published research with decent contribution, clinical volunteering, worked through school) and the fact that she received her Bachelor's in psychology in just 2 years, and a GPA around 3.9 .

I've done some research and from what I can tell the average scores accepted seem to be around mid 150's and up. What do you think her chances are at some of the smaller or larger state schools? We know nothing about the competitiveness or process, my knowledge is limited to medical applications. With an application like I described above, are her chances at least decent for getting into a doctoral program somewhere? Thanks in advance everyone.

Edit: Also, we are trying to get into the same schools or at least nearby. I've applied all over KY, WV, OH, and FL, any recommendations for what schools to try?

Ph.D. program admissions operate off of pretty different metrics than med schools. GREs and grades are important but research experience and a good research fit with potential advisors are paramount. I can't tell from your posts if your SO has a publication or just something in the works, but a half year of research experience is not going to cut it at most places, unfortunately. check out the recent post by MCParent on this forum for a good site to learn about the application process for clinical psychology programs.

Also, if you guys are trying to stay together and your SO needs more research experience to get where she wants to be, she may be able to get an RA/research coordinator job for a couple years where you are in school and then see if she wants to stay there for grad school- working at a university can help get your foot in the door (although it's not guaranteed... if only...)

Ph.D. program admissions operate off of pretty different metrics than med schools. GREs and grades are important but research experience and a good research fit with potential advisors are paramount. I can't tell from your posts if your SO has a publication or just something in the works, but a half year of research experience is not going to cut it at most places, unfortunately. check out the recent post by MCParent on this forum for a good site to learn about the application process for clinical psychology programs.

Also, if you guys are trying to stay together and your SO needs more research experience to get where she wants to be, she may be able to get an RA/research coordinator job for a couple years where you are in school and then see if she wants to stay there for grad school- working at a university can help get your foot in the door (although it's not guaranteed... if only...)

Thanks a million for the advice, I'll go check out the post you mentioned. She just recently decided on grad school in psychology (right after her first year), but hasn't had much time for research since she is graduating after this second year (which she will spend researching). I like your idea and I'll definitely mention it to her, we were thinking that maybe she could apply to a masters program at the school we are interested in (assuming they are less competitive?) so that she could get her foot in the door for a doctoral program eventually; does that seem like a viable option?

Thanks a million for the advice, I'll go check out the post you mentioned. She just recently decided on grad school in psychology (right after her first year), but hasn't had much time for research since she is graduating after this second year (which she will spend researching). I like your idea and I'll definitely mention it to her, we were thinking that maybe she could apply to a masters program at the school we are interested in (assuming they are less competitive?) so that she could get her foot in the door for a doctoral program eventually; does that seem like a viable option?

Master's programs could also work; either way, you want to make sure that she can get good research experience and not be spending all her time on coursework (for a Master's) or mindless data entry/running subjects (for an RA job). I'm biased because I worked as an RA before grad school and it worked well for me (and you get paid to do it!), but other people in my program did a terminal Master's instead.

Hi all,

It's my senior year and am about to decide what programs to apply to. I'm shooting for clinical and counseling psych. programs.

overall gpa: 3.73

GRE
Verbal: 159
Quant: 161
Writing: 4.5

Experiences

2 Years as a support tutor to first year students
1 Year volunteer at suicide hotline
1 Year volunteer in research lab that yielded 1 poster at national conference
2 months working in a psychiatric hospital
1 poster at an undergraduate conference

extra academics

minors in philosophy, neuroscience, and sociology

thoughts on chances?

This isn't so much wamc but more so of a "should I retake my GRE's" question

Most likely MS in School Psychology but not ruling out PsyD (so this seemed to be the most appropriate forum)

Undergrad GPA- 3.74
Major- Psychology
Extras- A few honor societies and executive board membership on a student org, but the only one relevant to Psychology is Psi Chi
Experience- Research assistant for 2 semesters on effective study skills, internship shadowing a school psychologist

Q- 146
V- 152
A- 4.5

Schools I'm applying to:
St. John's
Queens College (CUNY)
Brooklyn College (CUNY)
University of Connecticut
Southern Connecticut State University
Pace University
Rochester Institute of Technology

Hi all,

It's my senior year and am about to decide what programs to apply to. I'm shooting for clinical and counseling psych. programs.

GRE

Experiences

extra academics

thoughts on chances?

I'm still horrible at interpreting the new GRE scores (haven't really yet had a reason to need to fix that), but I'd say things look pretty good overall. The main potential weakness could be the limited research experience (i.e., only 1 year), although being on two posters (one at a national conference) will certainly help.

I don't know how your application would stack up at the more highly-competitive PhD programs, but I'd imagine you should get looked at pretty thoroughly elsewhere, depending on your fit, personal statement, and letters of rec.

Most likely MS in School Psychology but not ruling out PsyD (so this seemed to be the most appropriate forum)

Undergrad GPA- 3.74
Major- Psychology
Extras- A few honor societies and executive board membership on a student org, but the only one relevant to Psychology is Psi Chi
Experience- Research assistant for 2 semesters on effective study skills, internship shadowing a school psychologist

Q- 146
V- 152
A- 4.5

Schools I'm applying to:
St. John's
Queens College (CUNY)
Brooklyn College (CUNY)
Pace University

For an MS, I don't know that you'd need to re-take the GRE. For a doctoral program, though, you'll likely want to do so, yes.

Acronym Allergy,

159 verbal (81%)
161 quant (81%)

and i actually guessed on what i would get on the writing and it turned out that i got a 5 (93%) which was a big surprise for me.

thank you for your thoughts.

Hi everyone,

new - just wondering what everyone thought of my chances.

Applying to:
USC
Uni. of Oregon
UMass - Amherst
UNC - Chapel Hill
Colorado - Boulder
UCLA
NYU

Also will apply to two master's programs as a back up.

Social Psych.

I am mostly worried about my gre - quant and research.
Verbal - 163 (91%)
Quant - 154 (57%) :(
AW - 5 (93%)

GPA - 3.75

A in behavioral stats and took computational stats (A-) as an elective. Will be taking grad classes next semester as an undergrad (I can take grad classes with a faculty approval since I will only have my 'capstone' and abnormal psych left on my degree).

Have 3 letters of rec which I am confident will be very positive.

Research:
Since May 2012 - social psych lab - usual lab stuff w/ running participants, etc. Learning SPSS this semester and will do data entry. One poster presentation in this lab and one already accepted for an APA level conference beg. next year. (one of my letters of rec)

Since May this year - developmental lab (my uni is not a phd institute and grad students HAVE to be in a lab for so long so it is not easy to get lab positions as an undergrad, although I realize no one cares about that!) - coding, reliability, etc (other letter of rec)

Summer of junior year - edited and proofed transcripts / interviews from a professor's study.

last letter of rec is from a teacher I have taken 3 classes with inc. stats and social psych and is the one who will be signing me into her grad level social psych class. I also currently work with her - I run the research participant pool at my uni. This is almost always a grad student and I was personally recommended for it.

Hey guys! I would really appreciate some input on my plan here and my chances..

I graduated in June and have been looking for a paid research job since. I have been lucky enough to get a part time paid position for a couple months, but nothing like a year or two coordinator position like I was looking for... At any rate, my new plan, since I didn't get a full time position, is to suck it up and move in with family so I can work part time and continue at my volunteer lab. I am hoping I can apply next winter, but I don't know how realistic this is. Please look at my information below and give me some input if you can..

-Psych major from well respected public university (GPA 3.54)
-Volunteer lab experience working on exposure therapy efficacy/effectiveness in a very respected lab (currently 1.5 years, will be 2.5 years by the time I apply), I am hoping I will have worked on two projects by the time I apply
- Will have part time paid experience gathering information form participants on a study (we'll say this is 6 months duration)
-Haven't taken the GRE, but let's assume I get a respectable score

I am hoping to get on a poster or something, or even find a way to do my own lit review or something.. I am basically putting my life on hold by moving in with my family and I want to make sure I have a decent chance.. I am in my late 20's, and while I know I'm not old, I will be significantly behind my friends when it comes to having an established career and a family.

Also, I want to get in to a PhD program, not PsyD (simply because I enjoy the research aspect).

Further, do you guys think it would help to volunteer at another lab for a year, or is it best to do two projects at the same lab?

Thanks so much!

Undergrad GPA- 3.74
Major- Psychology

Q- 146
V- 152
A- 4.5

Schools I'm applying to:
St. John's
Queens College (CUNY)
Brooklyn College (CUNY)
Pace University

My sense is that you'll be fine for school psych (ma), though that isn't my area. You seem to have great experience, and know what you are getting into. Do all school psych programs require the GRE?

Last edited:
Hey guys! I would really appreciate some input on my plan here and my chances..

I graduated in June and have been looking for a paid research job since. I have been lucky enough to get a part time paid position for a couple months, but nothing like a year or two coordinator position like I was looking for... At any rate, my new plan, since I didn't get a full time position, is to suck it up and move in with family so I can work part time and continue at my volunteer lab. I am hoping I can apply next winter, but I don't know how realistic this is. Please look at my information below and give me some input if you can..

-Psych major from well respected public university (GPA 3.54)
-Volunteer lab experience working on exposure therapy efficacy/effectiveness in a very respected lab (currently 1.5 years, will be 2.5 years by the time I apply), I am hoping I will have worked on two projects by the time I apply
- Will have part time paid experience gathering information form participants on a study (we'll say this is 6 months duration)
-Haven't taken the GRE, but let's assume I get a respectable score

I am hoping to get on a poster or something, or even find a way to do my own lit review or something.. I am basically putting my life on hold by moving in with my family and I want to make sure I have a decent chance.. I am in my late 20's, and while I know I'm not old, I will be significantly behind my friends when it comes to having an established career and a family.

Also, I want to get in to a PhD program, not PsyD (simply because I enjoy the research aspect).

Further, do you guys think it would help to volunteer at another lab for a year, or is it best to do two projects at the same lab?

Thanks so much!

I don't really understand exactly what your lab options are, but I'd say only go really far out of your way to volunteer at an additional lab if it will provide you with experience that might be similar to the type of work you are going to want to research in school, or provide some other great value. Try and get a poster out if you can, but invest time making sure you destroy the GREs

Hi all,

GRE

Experiences

extra academics

thoughts on chances?

I'd second AA. Apply to a range of programs with good fits, and you should do okay.

I don't really understand exactly what your lab options are, but I'd say only go really far out of your way to volunteer at an additional lab if it will provide you with experience that might be similar to the type of work you are going to want to research in school, or provide some other great value. Try and get a poster out if you can, but invest time making sure you destroy the GREs

Thanks! I do have quite a few options in my area to get involved in research (I have a connection at the VA, plus went/live by/volunteer at a big research school. I just don't know how involved I can get in a year and some change, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask around. The good thing is I do have experience so I can be a little picky if I'm volunteering my time, unlike when I was a research virgin. :laugh:

Hi all,

I am just starting to do research and explore my options and would appreciate any feedback.

I have been out of school for 10+ years and am a practicing attorney. I need to stay in the Los Angeles area for personal reasons. I want to work as a therapist. I care about being research-literate but have very little interest in conducting research myself; also doubt I would have any shot at getting into the funded PhD programs in SoCal even if I wanted to. Hence considering PsyD (although I am aware of the problems with return on investment) and MFT programs. I have been looking into Pepperdine Psy.D. or MFT, USC MFT, and the Cal State MFT programs.

Here are my stats

-Ivy undergraduate degree (GPA 3.6ish), major unrelated to psychology

-M.A. from the same university in a social science, not psychology, but took extra courses equivalent to an undergraduate psychology degree (GPA 3.7ish). Graduated in 2002.

-Research from 2001-2 in a well regarded psychology lab, but at this point there is no way the professor would remember me and I really worked mostly with his research assistant. I was co-author on a publication but 3rd or 4th name.

-3 years work experience as a research assistant at a well regarded teaching hospital, again 3rd or 4th author on a publication.

-This is when my psych experience ends and I went to law school. I went to a top law school, good GPA, have been practicing since I graduated in a very individual client contact intensive area where i am often dealing with people in crisis (think dependency, family law, criminal law).

-I took the GREs in 2002 or 3 so scores are too old and I would have to retake, but for reference, I got an 800 verbal, 600 something quant. I got a 720 or 740 on the psychology subject test, I think I could bring myself up to speed with a lot of self study but it's been a long time since I have taken psych courses so that is more of an unknown.

-Recommendations could be sort of a problem. I really don't see any way I can get a recommendation from a psych professor given how long ago I took courses/did research. I could possibly get one from a law school professor, but I don't know if that would be helpful. I could get excellent professional recommendations but they would be from lawyers.

Any feedback on my chances of getting into the programs I mentioned would be appreciated. I feel that my "numbers" will be pretty strong and I can connect my academic and work experiences to date with my desire to be a therapist, but I'm not sure if I actively need to pursue taking another class, etc. to be able to get professor recommendations in the field.

This question is mainly about my GPA and these mystery cutoffs. I went to an ivy league undergrad that a. doesn't calculate GPA and b. doesn't offer plus or minus grades (so if you get an A- or A+ it just shows up on transcript as an A, and so on and so forth). Therefore, my self calculated GPA is pretty inaccurate (every B+ I've ever gotten is just a B and whatnot.) I have a pretty low GPA somewhere around a 3.2 (again, would be higher if i entered in B+ as 3.4 but since they're on my transcript as a B that feels pretty dishonest). My question is:

My question is: is a 3.2 just too low? (My last two years is around a 3.5, if that even matters.) I'm worried about these "cut-offs". Does it even matter if I have solid research experience, excellent recs, posters, good research match and make sure I have a great SOP? (I haven't taken the GRE yet but I anticipate it to be high- I'm pretty good standardized test taker). Should I expect that I'll be cut-off in the first screen and not even get my other stuff looked at? I'm also worried about people saying that getting a masters first doesn't help, even if you get a 4.0 there is grade inflation so it doesn't matter? Basically, my question is, should I assume that my GPA is too low to make it past cut-offs? And if so is there ANYTHING to do? I want to get my clinical PhD so badly (not psyd) and I just don't know if I need a reality check and someone is going to tell me its not possible to get in? I will do whatever it takes, be that get a masters first, I just don't want to commit to a masters and find out programs don't really care. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it! THANKS!

I had an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.3 and got into some really good schools, including a clinical science program that is routinely noted as one of the best in the US for turning out anxiety researchers. It helped that my last two years were also higher (about a 3.6) and that I did a M.A. degree (which included a first author publication and a 4.0 GPA).

I'd toss a couple funded research-focused M.A. applications into the mix just in case, but my guess is you may have a shot at some Ph.D. programs already.

Hello!!! I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what my possible chances are of getting into a Clinical Psychology PhD program (not Psy.D!).

Undergrad GPA: 3.50
Psych GPA 3.61

Research Experience: 2 years in two different labs, running experiments, home visits, data entry, and working with a master's candidate on her thesis; as well as going on research trips with a professor for a lab course

Work Experience: 4 years (freshman-senior) at an after school program tutoring/mentoring at-risk and low-income youth; pre-school teacher at the YMCA for a summer; Internship at the after-school program

Teach for America: Two years in Memphis teaching.

GRE: Verbal 163, Quantitative 160, Analytical Writing 5.0

Alternative break immersion to El Salvador focusing on women's and children's cooperative schools/businesses; lead an alternative break immersion to Detroit focusing on urban poverty and sustainability

Study Abroad Experience to England during second semester sophomore year.

Hi everyone,

I know I'm not applying to clinical psychology, but I have seen several people not in that field post here, so here goes. So I just took the GRE yesterday and got a 159 on Verbal (81%) and a 153 on Quantitative (53%), and I’m pretty sure I got a 5-6 on the AW (feel really confident). While these scores aren’t horrible (nor are they great), I am applying to top-tier schools and could use some insight. I have not started my applications so I really don’t have much time to retake the GRE on top of all my other responsibilities. I don’t really care about anonymity as I don't intend to be unprofessional or post embarrassing things. My background is below:

Undergraduate at a small but nationally recognized university.
Major: Psychology with a concentration in biopsychology, Minor: Ancient Studies
Cumulative GPA: 3.71, Psychology GPA: 3.95

Awards:
- Departmental honors program
- A scholar award for my independent honors thesis
- A travel award to present at Neuroscience 2013

Activities:
- President of PSI CHI
- Executive Committee for Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK)
- Supplemental Instruction Leader for chemistry and math
- Expert Level CLRA tutor certified (working on master level certification)
- Psychology Peer Mentor (for a psychology 100 course)

Research:
- 2 years in an animal behavior lab in my institution’s psychology department conducting research on the cognitive effects of radiation using a ground based rat model (NASA funded). Through this lab I am conducting my independent honors thesis that I am presenting in poster format at Neuroscience 2013. I am in charge of running several behavioral experiments, and I also went on a research trip to a national lab to learn how to radiate the animals and conduct novel experiments.

-1.5 years (first an intern for a summer then hired) working at Johns Hopkins in an animal behavioral facility. This job is more of a tech position in that I don’t work on any specific project. I assist in running an animal behavior lab in which researchers use our equipment and software, and through this lab I have learned numerous (20+) modern behavioral tests and the corresponding software (maze tracking softwares). I run requested tests for groups of researchers and sometimes help train others to use things ( I am constantly learning when I do this job).

- 0.5 years in a Genetic Epidemiology lab. Didn't do much besides literature searches and learning how to make good research figures, but I did get a poster out of it.

Posters: 5 (1 first author for Neuroscience 2013); Publications: 0 (my honors thesis might turn into a paper, but it wouldn’t be for a long while).

Letters of recommendations: three strong letters.
- One from my mentor at Hopkins who has his own lab and runs the behavioral lab.
- One from my mentor from the radiation rat lab in which I’m conducting my independent honors thesis and have a lot of responsibility there.
- One from a senior lecturer in the psychology department who I am a peer mentor for and have taken a few classes with. This person has also been a generally great advisor to me and will write me a beautiful letter.

I will be applying (most likely) to 10-12 top-tier schools (Hopkins will definitely be one), and probably all of those schools will probably be for behavioral neuroscience based in psychology departments, maybe a few biology departments if I decide to (neuroscience). I have only taken introduction to cell biology, molecular genetics, and chemistry though. I kind of don’t know where to start with finding good Neuroscience programs (based in biology departments) and I have to choose wisely because of my background. I’m worried about my GRE scores, but I think my other areas make up for it. I’d appreciate any insight or advice!

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for reading!