This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All,

I know you are all inundated with requests, but I am hoping for a review of my Stats and Experiences.

cUG n Biopsychology (heavy science course load) - 3.13
pyschology UG- 3.42
Masters in Clinical Neuroscience- 3.47
GRE- V- 164 (93%), Q- 157 (68th%), 4.5 AWA

I have 3 years research experience, from basic to preclinical neuroscience.
For past year, working directly with medical and psych patient population 24 hr/week. And doing clinical research in Emergency Department, looking at depression and psych-related visits.

Have 3 1st author posters, presented nationally at SfN; and 3 other 2nd author posters.
Have 1 paper in a respectable journal.

Interested in health psychology w/ neuropsych applications.

Please review and advise

The GPAs may be about the only thing that would raise potential concerns in application reviewers' minds, I'd imagine. Assuming you apply to a variety of programs competitiveness-wise with which you're a good fit, I'd think you should land at least a few interviews, at which point selling yourself and the "maturity" of your clinical and research goals will then be particularly important to offset any GPA-related doubts.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I'm going to start applying in a few months for my PsyD and I'm hoping to get into Pepperdine. Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Graduate MA in Psych GPA: 4.0
7 months research experience as an RA to one of my professors
2 years experience working for a suicide hotline
GRE: 315
Psych GRE: Haven't taken it yet

What do you guys think? Has anyone gotten in with similar stats?

Hello! I am applying to both clinical PhD and PsyD programs in the fall. For the PhD programs, I don't have a solid list yet, but my interest is in eating disorders, body image disorders, and minority mental health . For PsyD programs, I'm looking into (I might add to the list, this isn't definite):
The Palo Alto Stanford Consortium
The Wright Institute
U Colorado, Denver
U Hartford
Rutgers
LIU
George Washinton

My stats:
GPA: 3.49 overall (last two years are a 3.80 though), 3.59 major
GRE: taking them soon, but my practice tests keep getting me in the upper 150's for verbal and quant
Research experience: almost 2 years as a research assistant/lab manager at 1 lab, but the research was in developmental psych (with a clinical aspect); just started volunteering at a couple different labs more closely related to my research interests
Pubs/posters: second author on a publication (in press), first author on a poster I'm going to present at an international conference in June
Other experience: 1 academic year as a behavioral assistant at a public school, 1 semester as a fieldwork assistant

Thanks!
You should be competitive for PhD programs--don't go for unfunded programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to funded Ph.D. Counseling Psychology programs in the northeast. Here are my stats with a little bit of background information. I am very proud of how far I've come.

My Stats:
- Dropped out of high school at 16 and got my GED in my early twenties
- Attended three colleges (1 community college to get my associate degree and 'prove myself'; 2 campuses of the same state university to get my B.A. in psychology)
- Undergrad GPA ~3.3; Psych GPA ~3.5
- Got my M.A. in Counseling Psychology with a solid 4.0 GPA
- Three research projects (one was presented at a national conference, another is expected to be presented at a national conference and also published next year)
- Two solo author (theoretical) paper presentations at major national and international conferences
- Five years clinical experience
- Two years as an adjunct university professor lecturing undergraduate psychology courses
- Leadership position within an APA division local chapter
- Good LOR's anticipated (including one from my #1 POI who I do research with)
- GRE not yet taken, but my most recent practice test projects a 156 Verbal, 153 Quant, and 5.0 Analytical Writing (compared to scores one year ago of 148 verbal, 145 Quant, 3.5 Analytical Writing)

Career goals = primarily work out of a PhD department doing research/lecturing/mentoring, but also maintain a part-time clinical practice, and publish/present frequently. I am doing some of these things now, but to really excel my research skills and publish as frequently as I'd like to, I need to go through a doc program.

My biggest concerns are the GRE and my undergraduate performance. I wonder, will my M.A. and post-graduate experiences eclipse my undergrad GPA? Regarding the GRE, I've been studying for a year and my scores have improved, but I'm not sure how much higher I can get before I test in two months (maybe a 160 verbal, 150 quant, and 6.0 Analytical with some persistence and pluck).

What are my chances with my non-traditional background and anticipated GRE scores? Also, how and to what extent should I elucidate my non-traditional track and GRE scores in my SOP? If I've come this far, I believe I can succeed in a Ph.D. program. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
  • 3.95 Cumulative GPA, 4.0 Major (Psychology, Biology minor) FGCU
  • President's Scholarship (full tuition and fees)
  • 4 yrs as a member of Honors program
  • 1-1.5 yrs research assistant
  • Forthcoming publication (1st author) on EEG synchrony
  • Conference presentation of publication abstract (1st author) for international behavioral neuroscience society, Vancouver CA
  • Intern under PhD, concentration neuropsychology: conducted neuropsychological assessment on patients. Tests include: WAIS, DRS, GDS, CLVT, HVLTR, etc.
  • Intern under PsyD, concentration neuropsychology: conducted neuropsychological assessment on patients at community hospital using RBANS
  • Volunteer service on Neurology floor (6 mo. Hospital), physician shadowing
  • Schools (neuropsychology PhD): East Carolina, University of Florida, Nova Southeastern, University of Kentucky, Washington State, Georgia State, Louisiana State, University of Arizona, Emory, Southern Illinois, University of South Florida, Drexel or Temple
  • No GRE scores yet
  • Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

You should at least get an interview, but I think with a good SOP and GRE scores (which I'd be surprised if these were far off from your record) you will get some offers.

Quick question: I will enter my final year of undergrad after this summer. I only added the psych degree a few years ago. I was initially just a music performance major but added psychology junior year and am a double degree student. Because of this I do not have much research experience. I was a research assistant for a student's honor project last year and will be a research assistant to a professor this coming semester. With such little research experience, do I have zero chance of getting into a clinical PhD program right out of undergrad? What can I do to give myself a decent shot of getting into a good PhD program? Should I apply for Masters programs first? My cumulative GPA is a 3.6 and I'm still preparing for the GREs.

Hi, I would really appreciate some feedback on my post just a few spots up. Thanks!

Hi, I would really appreciate some feedback on my post just a few spots up. Thanks!

I'm currently finishing up a PhD in Counseling Psych, and I can say that life experience tends to be appreciated. Very few of the people in my program have gone straight through school: most have experience working as LPCs/LCSWs or are second career folks. I think your statement of purpose can be really strong if you mention what you've been through, but spend the majority focusing on what you learned from it and how your experiences will make you a better clinician/educator/researcher. Do you have a deeper understanding of the population you want to work with? Can you relate to struggling students? Just be careful not to over-share or over-identify. I would STRONGLY recommend having someone from your MA faculty proofread it for you to make sure you're successfully walking that fine line between openness and "this person has no boundaries." The other thing to consider is that limiting yourself geographically can hurt you (especially in such a competitive part of the country). You really want to get into a good, well-funded program with a solid match rate. Trying to stay in the Northeast will make that more difficult. Geographic restrictions can also cause problems down the line for internship and postdoc. You should consider the possibility of a big move in your future before committing to a program. Relocation may be necessary to get where you want to go.

Career goals = primarily work out of a PhD department doing research/lecturing/mentoring, but also maintain a part-time clinical practice, and publish/present frequently.

I can also tell you that there are faculty in my department who do exactly this. They work 1/2 time or 3/4 time as clinical faculty teaching primarily practicum and internship classes, but also other classes from time to time that are within their areas of expertise. They have clinical positions at local agencies (or private practice), but are able to conduct research through the university.

I am currently heading into my senior year and hoping to apply to Clinical PhD programs, where I want to study suicide (ideation, causes, etc.)

-Cumulative GPA: 3.82
-Psych GPA: 3.98
-Currently working in two research labs. Currently working on two posters (1 is senior thesis, dealing with suicide and hopelessness, the other is is for my lab; I plan to present one before I apply; the other I will present next year)
-CA certified training in suicide prevention crisis hotline
-Taking a Grad-level course next semester (Fall), if that even hold any weight
-Have yet to take the GRE

Anyone have any opinions on what my possible chances in getting in are?

I am currently heading into my senior year and hoping to apply to Clinical PhD programs, where I want to study suicide (ideation, causes, etc.)

-Cumulative GPA: 3.82
-Psych GPA: 3.98
-Currently working in two research labs. Currently working on two posters (1 is senior thesis, dealing with suicide and hopelessness, the other is is for my lab; I plan to present one before I apply; the other I will present next year)
-CA certified training in suicide prevention crisis hotline
-Taking a Grad-level course next semester (Fall), if that even hold any weight
-Have yet to take the GRE

Anyone have any opinions on what my possible chances in getting in are?

Mod Note: Merged into the What Are My Chances (WAMC) sticky.

I'm applying to funded Ph.D. Counseling Psychology programs in the northeast. Here are my stats with a little bit of background information. I am very proud of how far I've come.

What are my chances with my non-traditional background and anticipated GRE scores? Also, how and to what extent should I elucidate my non-traditional track and GRE scores in my SOP? If I've come this far, I believe I can succeed in a Ph.D. program. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of thoughts here: 1. as previously mentioned, be careful not to over share- it sounds like you've been out of highschool /college for a bit so I wouldn't focus on that. They don't need to know about a GED, etc. Focus on your strengths now and discuss all you've accomplished in the past 5 or so years. 2. Speaking from personal experience I can say that grad school and post-grad clinical/research work cancelled out a low uGPA so I wouldn't stress about that 3. Do you have lab research experience? That could help to strengthen your application, but overall it sounds pretty strong.

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some input based on some of my credentials. Any thoughts on my chances would be much appreciated, as this is round 2 for me and I'd REALLY like to make it the last!

• GPA 4.0
  • Clinical experience
  • 3 years full time research experience
  • 2 professional posters
  • 1 publication
  • 4 great LOR
  • Well written personal statement
GRE: 158 V, 151 Q, 4.5 AW.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some input regarding the programs I'm applying to based on some of my credentials. Any thoughts on my chances and program selections would be much appreciated, as this is round 2 for me and I'd REALLY like to make it the last!

• Undergrad GPA: 4.0/class valedictorian at decent liberal arts school. I also received an award for being the outstanding senior in Psychology.
  • 1 year experience as a group therapist in a partial hospitalization program
  • 3 years full time RA position at a major university in the psychiatry department, covering experiences such as project planning, beta testing, recruitment, assessment (including RBANS and PANSS), data collection, grant writing
  • 2 professional posters (1st author on both)
  • 1 publication in a high impact journal (30.387) as a second author
  • 1 year studying abroad in West Africa
  • 4 great LOR (3 well known PI's I currently work for and have wonderful connections in the field; 1 undergraduate mentor I worked closely with both in my clinical internship and an independent research project)
  • Well written personal statement

The stat I'm most worried about... GRE: 158 V, 151 Q, 4.5 AW... taken twice with basically the same score (despite months of additional studying the 2nd round, so I fear retaking would be a wasted effort- this test is simply not up my alley!).

I'm interested in schizophrenia research and have the following programs on my current list:
UC-Berkeley
UCLA
SDSU
Colorado-Boulder
LSU
Missouri
Missouri- Kansas City
UNC- Chapel Hill
UNC- Greensboro
U Maryland College Park
UMBC
Nebraska

You may also want to check out IUPUI (Indiana University Purdue University-Indianapolis). I know they have someone who researches schizophrenia (I worked in the lab). May be a little easier to get into than some of your other options; not to say you don't have good credentials, just an option.

Couple of thoughts here: 1. as previously mentioned, be careful not to over share- it sounds like you've been out of highschool /college for a bit so I wouldn't focus on that. They don't need to know about a GED, etc. Focus on your strengths now and discuss all you've accomplished in the past 5 or so years. 2. Speaking from personal experience I can say that grad school and post-grad clinical/research work cancelled out a low uGPA so I wouldn't stress about that 3. Do you have lab research experience? That could help to strengthen your application, but overall it sounds pretty strong.

Thanks for the response

1. Yeah, I wasn't sure how much disclosure would be appropriate in my SOP, particularly because of the appreciation for diversity in PhD programs, and whether or not it would be attractive for the program to read that I come from an economically oppressed background and have had to fight tooth and nail to get where I'm at (i.e. perseverance).

2. That's good to know. I think even in uGrad, my performance was the culmination of 1) little to no high school education, and 2) I had to work multiple jobs to support myself because I have no family. Because I have remained dedicated though, I have consistently improved in all aspects of my academic and professional track record. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. I killed it in grad school and have been on fire ever since.

3. I have held three research positions - one of which was an experimental/cognitive psychology study that made use of a lab. The other two were qualitative. I also had an original research project in uGrad.

I do appreciate the vote of confidence. It really helps. Although I know it would be wiser for me to broaden my search demographic for programs, I really am settled in the northeast already and have no intention of leaving. I can only hope that this all works out in my favor. I am really paying my dues to get into a program.

I can definitely empathize with the not wanting to leave an area mindset, but you will see in analysis after analysis that geographical restriction is the number one reason people fail to get into a program and match for internship. In the end, always your decision, just be ready for that decision to make things a good deal harder.

I can definitely empathize with the not wanting to leave an area mindset, but you will see in analysis after analysis that geographical restriction is the number one reason people fail to get into a program and match for internship. In the end, always your decision, just be ready for that decision to make things a good deal harder.

I'd be willing to relocate for internship if I had to since that's less permanent. I think if I left the northeast for a whole program, I might never come back.

That is definitely your choice, but it is a choice that will make things harder. I actually enjoyed living in different areas of the country, and it allowed me to go with a "best training available" for my specialty type of approach.

I would also add that the difference between cost of living in the northeast and other areas of the country is staggering. I'm leaving the northeast and heading to the midwest and I'll be moving into a place twice the size at half the cost when I start my doctoral program in August. Students at the program said they all live pretty comfortably on a $12-15k stipend, which is around what I made during my master's program and it was a fairly constant struggle, even living in the cheapest apartment I could find with multiple roommates.

Hi, everyone. I'm looking into going for a PhD in psychology. I'll just put out there quick version of my story and what I hope to do and see what you think. I'm 31 and I've had a successful and thoroughly unsatisfying career in software engineering. My original plan was to go do a social science degree after a few years of software work and do research in how technology affects people, but circumstances, some beyond my control and some within, kept me from leaving the software field when I intended to. Circumstances have changed, and I realize now that I need both to directly help other people and to have intellectual challenge to feel good about myself. I've been looking into careers that can get me both of those things, and I think I have an answer in psychology. I've always felt a pull to some kind of clinical work, and plenty of people with psychology background do research. I'd like to have a balance of research and practice, and reading the previous posts here, it seems I'm not alone. I would like to teach at some point, but I'm pretty sure I can do that further down the line, though if I could do all three, that would be fantastic.

Academically, I have B.S. degrees in mathematics and in computer science and engineering from 2006 with I think a 3.7 GPA (it's been a while), and I've taken several master's courses towards degrees that I decided not to pursue. The first was an M.S. management degree. I discontinued that program because it wasn't rigorous or challenging and because it could have led me further down a career path I wasn't interested in. The other was an M.A. in mathematics education, though I never matriculated for that program. For all of those courses, I had a 4.0. I've never taken a psychology course, nor have I been involved in the sort of research psychologists do. However, I have been considering and looking into options, and this is the only one that's gotten me excited. Really, this is what I want to do.

I know I have a long road ahead of me. I've seen recommendations about getting research experience, and I know I will have prerequisites to fulfill. I currently work at a university that has a psychology program, and I intend to reach out to the department there and see what advice they can offer me and see if there are opportunities for me to get involved. And, just to put it out there, I'd prefer to be in a city in the northeast, so New York, Boston, D.C., or Philly.

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

@islanddon - I had a similar experience - graduated with an unrelated degree and not a single psych course. Here's the big things you need to do -

- Get research experience. Like, now. Your software background may be a huge boon, as computer based assessment is a growing area of interest now. If you can get a paying gig, great, if not, volunteer.
- Get the prereqs you need. Most programs will want you to have at least 12-15 credits. These typically include introductory psych, abnormal psych, stats and a few others (e.g. some hard sciences). You can poke around a bit and find what universities you may be interested in want to qualify as an applicant.
- Start investigating potential programs. In your case, I would recommend seeing if you can find a a program that offers a research driven MS and a PhD that fits your interests. Because of your relative lack of experience it is highly unlikely you will be able be competitive for a PhD for at least two years. Applying to an MS program and then transitioning into a related doctoral program is likely to be the fastest way of making this happen, if it is a feasible option.

Hi everyone!

I need some serious guidance and honest feedback. All I have wanted to do since I was little was become a psychologist. I am really passionate about it and I think I have developed some solid clinical skills. My question is ultimately, how do I make myself the most competitive candidate I can be and do I have a chance at all?

The BAD:I went to Tufts University and majored in Clinical Psychology. My GPA is abysmally low (3.07) and my Psych GPA is the same. There was a semester where I took two psych classes at the same time and overall it was a really tough semester for me for a few reasons. One of those classes was Psych Stats and because I didn't learn the material well in that class, when it came time to do a secondary Psych Stats class, I didn't do well because the base learning wasn't there. I feel really scared of my low GPA and wonder if I have a chance.

THE MEDIOCRE: The GRE helps a tiny bit but not a lot. I got a 160 verbal and a 153 quant. I also got a 5 on the written portion. I am planning on taking the psych GRE and hopefully will do well on it.

THE GOOD: My GPA trend right at the end of college went up. For both semesters of my senior year, I made dean's list and did well in my psych classes. They were more hands on and clinical which bodes well for my interests.

Also, during my senior year, I had an internship at a behavior therapy focused after school program. There I ran skill building groups with children and created relationships with them. I was also privy to their clinical history and information about their family dynamics and family therapy. I had to present two cases a semester from the kids I was working with which was great experience in assessing their progress clinically and seeing them more holistically.

Since college, I have taken a job at McLean Hospital in a partial hospitalization program. My program is based is Dialectical Behavior Therapy and my role has been to lead/co-lead groups teaching the skills, and do crisis skills coaching when adolescents are in states of crisis or emotional intensity. I have also gotten the opportunity ot sit in rounds and have weekly supervision. I have gained a lot of unique, great experience and will hopefully get some good recommendation letters.

I am also going to transition jobs in a couple weeks. I will be working as an outreach provider for a non-profit called Youth Villages. There I will be creating intervention plans for families in the DCF system so that they can keep the family system together.

I am a strong writer and I think that my essays will be solid. I am pretty freaked out about my chances. I know that some parts of my application are really strong but others are not. People have said that the more time you spend away from college, the less the GPA matters but any insight, advice or thoughts would be helpful.

Hi everyone!

I need some serious guidance and honest feedback. All I have wanted to do since I was little was become a psychologist. I am really passionate about it and I think I have developed some solid clinical skills. My question is ultimately, how do I make myself the most competitive candidate I can be and do I have a chance at all?

The BAD:I went to Tufts University and majored in Clinical Psychology. My GPA is abysmally low (3.07) and my Psych GPA is the same. There was a semester where I took two psych classes at the same time and overall it was a really tough semester for me for a few reasons. One of those classes was Psych Stats and because I didn't learn the material well in that class, when it came time to do a secondary Psych Stats class, I didn't do well because the base learning wasn't there. I feel really scared of my low GPA and wonder if I have a chance.

THE MEDIOCRE: The GRE helps a tiny bit but not a lot. I got a 160 verbal and a 153 quant. I also got a 5 on the written portion. I am planning on taking the psych GRE and hopefully will do well on it.

THE GOOD: My GPA trend right at the end of college went up. For both semesters of my senior year, I made dean's list and did well in my psych classes. They were more hands on and clinical which bodes well for my interests.

Also, during my senior year, I had an internship at a behavior therapy focused after school program. There I ran skill building groups with children and created relationships with them. I was also privy to their clinical history and information about their family dynamics and family therapy. I had to present two cases a semester from the kids I was working with which was great experience in assessing their progress clinically and seeing them more holistically.

Since college, I have taken a job at McLean Hospital in a partial hospitalization program. My program is based is Dialectical Behavior Therapy and my role has been to lead/co-lead groups teaching the skills, and do crisis skills coaching when adolescents are in states of crisis or emotional intensity. I have also gotten the opportunity ot sit in rounds and have weekly supervision. I have gained a lot of unique, great experience and will hopefully get some good recommendation letters.

I am also going to transition jobs in a couple weeks. I will be working as an outreach provider for a non-profit called Youth Villages. There I will be creating intervention plans for families in the DCF system so that they can keep the family system together.

I am a strong writer and I think that my essays will be solid. I am pretty freaked out about my chances. I know that some parts of my application are really strong but others are not. People have said that the more time you spend away from college, the less the GPA matters but any insight, advice or thoughts would be helpful.

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread

Hi everyone!

I wouldn't say that your GPA is "abysmally" low, but it is below average compared to the typical applicant. It's low enough that it might be a red flag for some programs, but I don't know that it'll automatically get your application tossed outright (i.e., below any departmental cut-offs, which typically seem to fall somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0).

The main concern I'd have is the seeming lack of research experience. Your clinical experiences are going to be significantly greater the average applicant, but most doctoral psych programs place much, much more emphasis on research interests. Mind you, if the areas in which you've worked are also your long-term clinical and research interest areas, that will work in your favor, as you'll be able to speak in a fairly specific manner about what it is you'd like to do. However, you're still likely to need at least 1-2 years' worth of research experience to be considered by most programs.

All I have wanted to do since I was little was become a psychologist. I am really passionate about it and I think I have developed some solid clinical skills.

What is it you find attractive about being a psychologist? If your main goal is to do psychotherapy, you can do that as an LPC/LMHC/MSW. Given your stats and experience, I imagine you'd be competitive for admission to a master's program. This might be sufficient depending on your career goals. You could also use a master's program as a stepping-stone to a doc program. If you choose the right program, you could boost your GPA and get some solid research experience. This can be tricky, though. Often the programs that are research-heavy don't make you license-eligible. This could leave you in a bind if you don't wind up getting into a doc program. On the other hand, more clinical-heavy programs may not have enough research opportunities to make you competitive for a doc program. What I did was get a clinical-heavy, license-eligible masters, and concurrently worked as an RA at a local medical school. When it came time for doc program applications, I got plenty of interviews.

Hello,

I’m an international grad student hopeful interested in becoming a clinical therapist. Currently, I’m leaning more towards application than research. I’d like to do my masters in clinical psych or counseling in the US.

I was pretty impressed with this forum and the help people get here – especially those like myself who have no clue where to start and don't know any psychologists.

· I have an average GPA in Linguistics and Literature and Special Education from the Philippines. The programs are all in English

· My work background is 8 years as a university lecturer teaching Academic Writing and Research in China

· I have worked as a corporate trainer, coach and instructional designer in the US for a year and a half. I mostly trained professional development to non-profits.

· I have been published in magazines and newspapers as well as academic articles and publications focused in developing English as a Second Language curriculum

· I have served as an editor to academic publications and a Tech Capacity Build Framework and Core HIV Prevention Package book for an international NGO, RTI International based in North Carolina. The project was in conjunction with USAID.

· I also did volunteer work in an orphanage for emotionally disturbed children and an autism center in the Philippines, and La Granja, a nonprofit for the mentally challenged in Chile. I also did a research paper for my Linguistics class where we observed schizophrenics’ speech patterns.

· I became interested in psychology during my teaching years in China and coaching and business training in the US. I dealt with a lot of anxiety, pressure, OCD, depression, and suicide in my students and corporate clients. I did informal counseling and coaching and realized I could help them more if I had the proper tools on hand. I want to someday do individual and group therapy with people.

What do you think are my chances of getting into a masters program in the U.S. and getting financial aid? Do you have suggestions of good Psych/Clinical counseling programs that have a good track record of giving financial aid to international students?

Feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks so much!

@Chalupacabra, thanks for your reply. I'm glad you've been successful with an unrelated background. It gives me hope, and I appreciate the advice. Also, your username is great.

Regarding the research experience, I doubt I'll be able to get a paid gig, but I'll look into it. How many hours working or volunteering per week seems reasonable, and what sort of work should I be doing? I'm going to get in touch with the psych department at the school I'm working at to see if I can do some work with researchers where I am. I'll also look into programs like you suggested and see what their requirements are for applicants and see if I can take those where I am. Trying to transition from an M.S. to a doctoral program seems reasonable to me.

Good luck to the other posters in this thread, too!

I applied for a few programs when I first graduated college, and only ended up getting 1 interview and was waitlisted. It was a reality check! I almost gave up on my psychologist dream because I didn't get into any schools at that time. Now 4 years later, I thought I would check with you guys on what you think my chances are... so I get some mental preparation before applying for the 2017 cohort!

My interest is mainly youth mental health, and I'm applying for programs with faculty with a focus on at-risk youth MH, education and resiliency. It's a pretty big area, and I find that most counseling/clinical programs have at least one faculty with some related focus. I love research and numbers, but I prefer programs that are more balanced (research-focused programs don't throw me off though). My top schools are NYU Counseling, UVA Clinical, UMD Counseling, UPenn Clinical, Columbia Counseling, Berkeley Clinical. I graduated from two of those schools listed above... I wonder if that'd help? Schools that I think should be safe include GWU, American, VCU and GMU.

• Undergrad GPA: 3.7
  • Grad school GPA: 3.97 (M.S. in Counseling & MH from an Ivy League school)
  • I did a year-long AmeriCorps volunteer program working with at-risk youth in the city
  • Research:
    • In addition to 3 years of RA experience in college, I did an undergrad honors thesis where I designed and implemented my own study. Wasn't able to publish it due to limited sample size.
    • 1 year of graduate research assistantship where I designed and conducted a pilot study with supervision
    • 1 year of professional research and health policy analysis experience on youth behavioral health
    • 1 year of professional research experience on juvenile justice reform policies... it's less MH related, but it's a data analysis position where I collect and analyze federal and state juvenile justice, child welfare, and youth mental health related project outcomes
  • Working with youth:
    • Interned as a counselor during grad school
    • Worked with at-risk youth during AmeriCorps program
    • Worked as an Applied Behavioral Therapist for kids with Autism for a year
  • Publications:
    • This is my weakest point since I don't have any publication so far. My name was on some of the research reports written for some senators for my job, but those are not "published."
  • GRE: Verbal - 84th percentile, Quant - 94th percentile, W - 80th percentile

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Those look like pretty solid qualifications to me, though I can't speak as well to your chances as some of the faculty and more experienced students. Mostly I just wanted to respond as a fellow AmeriCorps alum and someone who got a swift kick in the teeth from reality my first time applying to doctoral programs (8 applications, 1 interview, not even wait listed)- good luck!

Hello! I am applying to both clinical PhD and PsyD programs in the fall. For the PhD programs, I don't have a solid list yet, but my interest is in eating disorders, body image disorders, and minority mental health . For PsyD programs, I'm looking into (I might add to the list, this isn't definite):
The Palo Alto Stanford Consortium
The Wright Institute
U Colorado, Denver
U Hartford
Rutgers
LIU
George Washinton

My stats:
GPA: 3.49 overall (last two years are a 3.80 though), 3.59 major
GRE: taking them soon, but my practice tests keep getting me in the upper 150's for verbal and quant
Research experience: almost 2 years as a research assistant/lab manager at 1 lab, but the research was in developmental psych (with a clinical aspect); just started volunteering at a couple different labs more closely related to my research interests
Pubs/posters: second author on a publication (in press), first author on a poster I'm going to present at an international conference in June
Other experience: 1 academic year as a behavioral assistant at a public school, 1 semester as a fieldwork assistant

Thanks!

To add on to this, I just recieved my GRE scores and I got a 161 V, 154 Q, and 4.0 writing score. Does this change my chances at all?

Hello all,

Quick background- last winter, I applied to 10 clinical psych programs. I had two interviews and ultimately got rejected across the board. I’m currently 25 years old and no longer interested in applying to clinical programs. I recently started looking into school psych program and decided to go in that direction.

BS in Psych 3.909 GPA.

GRE scores are average: verbal 157 (74%), quant 154 (56%), analytical 5.5 (98%)

I have 3 years undergrad research experience and a great relationship with my professor from that lab

Additionally, after graduating, I started working at a non-profit mental health agency doing outreach work with children with serious emotional disturbance.

Does any one have any more information about selectiveness for these types of programs? Would I be better off applying to a masters program? Just the thought of applying to programs again makes my head spin! Any advice would be much appreciated.

i'm surprised you didn't get in anywhere..those stats look pretty good to me..maybe a bit low on quant.

why have you changed your mind>?

i'm surprised you didn't get in anywhere..those stats look pretty good to me..maybe a bit low on quant.

why have you changed your mind>?

I changed my mind because I honestly don't think I could make it through another application cycle for clinical. I spent a lot money, time, and effort and the outcome and stress just doesn't seem worth it. I'd probably have to re-take the GREs too.

Hello all,

Quick background- last winter, I applied to 10 clinical psych programs. I had two interviews and ultimately got rejected across the board. I’m currently 25 years old and no longer interested in applying to clinical programs. I recently started looking into school psych program and decided to go in that direction.

BS in Psych 3.909 GPA.

GRE scores are average: verbal 157 (74%), quant 154 (56%), analytical 5.5 (98%)

I have 3 years undergrad research experience and a great relationship with my professor from that lab

Additionally, after graduating, I started working at a non-profit mental health agency doing outreach work with children with serious emotional disturbance.

Does any one have any more information about selectiveness for these types of programs? Would I be better off applying to a masters program? Just the thought of applying to programs again makes my head spin! Any advice would be much appreciated.

CAS/EdS programs are going to be less competitive than PhD, but typically offer little to no funding (I got about $3200 a semester for a 10hr/week GA during my CAS program). SP is not as competitive as clinical and, in my experience, typically not as concerned with research experience (though that you have some is a definite advantage). The GRE scores are a little low but I imagine you'll still be able to snag a few interviews with all that relevant clinical and research experience, plus the high UG GPA. If you have any questions about specific programs or anything else feel free to PM me.

I've been reading on this site and am hoping someone can help me out with some tough decisions. It seems like most users are asking about Clinical PhD but I'm hoping someone can give some input on Counseling PhD programs and perhaps PsyD. So essentially, I am interested in practicing in the future but would like the ability to be involved in research. Thus, I am looking for some balanced programs and possibly PsyD (though of course the funding becomes an issue). Some Counseling PhD programs I'm looking at include Texas Women's University, Northeastern, University of Tennessee, University of Denver, University of Houston, and a few others. I am already in a well respected MA in Counseling Psych program in the Northeast and would love some input on my chances at some of these or similar doc programs.

My undergrad GPA was about 3.7 (minor in Psych) with my grad GPA being over 3.9
GRE Q 159, V 159, Writing 4.5
I have a fair amount of clinical experience and this will increase with my clinical internship next year.
A barrier to my application is my limited research experience. I was somewhat late in the realization that I wanted to pursue a doctoral degree in counseling so am only now beginning research. At the time of applying in the fall, I will have only a few months of experience on a research team with my professor. Not sure how helpful it will be, but she is quite well-regarded and I am hoping to get a positive letter from her. I may possibly get involved in another research project in the fall as well but not sure if it will help me at that point.

Will the lack of research lead to my application being thrown out? Some of the schools I have been in touch with say things like "research is helpful but not necessary." I'm not sure how much weight to put in that though because from what I can see here, research is very important. Is it worth applying this year or should I try and get more research experience first? Will applying to more balanced counseling programs increase my chances? Any general tips or comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Is it worth applying this year or should I try and get more research experience first?

I do think that counseling psych programs in general tend to value clinical experience more than the clinical programs seem to (full disclosure: I only applied to counseling psych PhD programs, so I am basing this comparison entirely on what I've heard from others/read on SDN). Like you, I didn't have a ton of research experience from my master's program by the time I applied. I think I got a part-time RA position around Labor Day and then applied in November/December. I had no posters or publications. I did, however, have three years of undergraduate research experience (mostly helping grad students with their theses and dissertations, so no pubs from that either). That said, I still managed to get interviews with most of the programs you listed (among others), and offers from a couple. Just make sure that the fit is good and that you have enough research experience to be able to discuss your interests and how they fit with the faculty you're hoping to work with. Feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

Hey everyone! I'm hoping I can get a bit of input regarding my situation...

I did my undergraduate degree in psychology in 2011. After working in mental health for a few years I decided to try and get into a medical school with the eventual goal of specializing in psychiatry. For the past two years I've been working on the prerequisites for medical school. Recently, for various reasons, I've decided that clinical psychology is a better fit for me. However, I'm concerned with how all of these seemingly random science classes will look on my transcript when applying to clinical doctorate or master's programs. With all the science courses I've taken I happen to be three classes away from an AS in biology...so I was thinking it might look better if I just go ahead and get the associate's? Also, with stats like mine, is getting into a doctorate program even realistic or would it be better to attempt entry into a master's program with the eventual goal of transferring into a doctorate? While I am interested in research, my eventual goal is to work in psychotherapy, so any programs I'll be applying to will be more oriented to clinical practice.

Here are my "stats":

* Graduated 2011 from University of California SC major in psychology (general)
* 3.63 GPA in the major (honors)
* Cum. undergrad GPA 3.55
* Two quarters as a RA in a developmental psych research lab
* Good LORs from the faculty whom I worked under
* One quarter as an Instructional Assistant for a general psych course
* Science GPA (don't know if this is relevant) is 3.67
* 87th & 56th percentile for verbal & quantitative GRE scores, 4 analytic writing
* Two years working in a group home
* Four years working with people with DDs
* Only elementary level stats course
* B- in Abnormal Psych

Thanks for reading this, and for any input!

Hello to fellow students!

My case is kinda different from the others, so...
I am an international student, got my BSc from one of the best universities in Russia, but due to various reasons, I didn't excel much in the undergrad. We don't have a system of GPA, but I have counted it to be something 2.7-2.8 - ish. Currently I am studying in the US, in the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (pursuing my grad degree in experimental psychology, MSc.). They have counted my undergrad GPA as 3.19 (I am however not sure if they have counted overall GPA, or only for the last two semesters for example).
I have:
- two years of research experience in Cognitive psychology lab in Russia;
- One year of research experience in Emotion Lab here;
- Peer-reviewed publication, 1st authored (in Russian)
- Another one is going to be soon (in English, also 1st author)
- Membership in Psi Chi
- Two international conferences
- 1 research award from Russia
- proficiency in three languages (Russian, English, and German)
My grad gpa is between 3.3 and 3.4 (only A's and B's).

GRE I expect to be pretty high (160-160)
I have some pretty darn prestigious universities in my list (along with not-so-great ones), UCLA for example (my dream place along with Georgetown). So the question is the following : should I abandon a dream about UCLA?

looking forward for your replies, colleagues !

Hi all! I have an unusual WAMC for you guys.

I'm a non-traditional student entering my freshman year of college next Fall. I'll be 32 then. I'm currently a stay at home mom. I've had many years to get to know myself, discover my true interests, think about what I'd like to go to school for. I'm currently getting all my little ducks in a row now, planning where to go, things I need to do first etc.. I'll be getting my bachelors in psychology.

In the process of doing so, I started reading posts in this forum and found statements like "apply to 8-15 grad schools" and 2% average acceptance rate.

I don't have the option to apply all over the country. My husband owns a well established business here in the Atlanta area. We have three children. We can't simply move to wherever I may get accepted.

My options are UGA, Emory, Mercer, Georgia State, GA Tech, and Argosy (which would be my last resort). That isn't considering whether or not those places have specific programs I'm interested in. The only ones I'd really want to attend, based on the programs they offer, are UGA, Ga State, Emory and Mercer.

I don't want enter college living in some dream land. Realistically, if I have a solid GPA and GRE score, publication and other "bonus points" on my application, what are my chances of being accepted to one of those four schools? What could I do to increase my chances?

My options are UGA, Emory, Mercer, Georgia State, GA Tech, and Argosy (which would be my last resort). That isn't considering whether or not those places have specific programs I'm interested in. The only ones I'd really want to attend, based on the programs they offer, are UGA, Ga State, Emory and Mercer.

I don't want enter college living in some dream land. Realistically, if I have a solid GPA and GRE score, publication and other "bonus points" on my application, what are my chances of being accepted to one of those four schools? What could I do to increase my chances?

How prepared are you for things not to work out the first year you apply to graduate school? Do you have a back-up plan? If you fill us in on your desired career path, we may be able to brainstorm ways (other than clinical psychology) for you to get what you want out of a career.

The truth is that you can do absolutely everything right and still not get into a PhD program-- and this is especially true for people with geographic restrictions. You should still try--But you should be prepared and have a plan for what to do if it doesn't work out.

Going to have to knock it out of the park to get it done with the GRE and research experience. It's still going to be a fairly low chance, some of those are pretty competitive programs. I'd kick Argosy off that list unless you want a long road with many obstacles as you go on. Also, remember that getting an internship down the road in your area will also be tough given the geographic restriction. As western said, if you have the resources, I guess it's worth a try, but just have a backup plan, because there's a good chance you'll have to go to it, even if you do have a good application.

I'm a non-traditional student entering my freshman year of college next Fall. I'll be 32 then. I'm currently a stay at home mom. I've had many years to get to know myself, discover my true interests, think about what I'd like to go to school for. I'm currently getting all my little ducks in a row now, planning where to go, things I need to do first etc.. I'll be getting my bachelors in psychology.

In the process of doing so, I started reading posts in this forum and found statements like "apply to 8-15 grad schools" and 2% average acceptance rate.

I don't have the option to apply all over the country. My husband owns a well established business here in the Atlanta area. We have three children. We can't simply move to wherever I may get accepted.

Geographic (and other) restrictions are called such for a reason: they restrict you. With the exception of Argosy (which you already have acknowledged in you original post as a "last resort," so I will not elaborate further), the other programs are competitive. There will be MANY other applicants from all over the U.S. (and likely beyond?) with 3.8-4.0 GPAs, rock-star GREs, and mountains of research experience - as evidenced by published abstracts and peer-reviewed manuscripts. Also... and I do apologize for pointing out the 800-pound magenta gorilla sitting in the punch bowl... many (if not most) of these applicants will be energetic 22 year-olds without competing interests for their time, energy, and devotion, and they will most definitely make sure to convey that in their letters of interest, interviews, and follow-up phone calls. I certainly did, and applicants still do. As already mentioned, you will need to secure an internship (meaning an APA-accredited internship, of course), and will likely need to secure a formal post-doc by the time that you are finished with internship at a minimum of ten years from now (not counting the two years of the post-doc, of course).

My 2 cents here. What you are talking about is manageable. In fact, one of my professors' graduate mentor was a non-traditional student. If you want, you can look him up, he's currently a professor in Ole Miss, Dr. Kelly Wilson. He got his B.Sc. at the age of 34. Still managed to make it into PHD!
However, as colleague Lurking Oracle pointed out, it will be harder than usual. My advice is to contact professor of interest WAY before you apply. Probably be engaged in some research with him/her? It will greatly enhance your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
My 2 cents here. What you are talking about is manageable. In fact, one of my professors' graduate mentor was a non-traditional student. If you want, you can look him up, he's currently a professor in Ole Miss, Dr. Kelly Wilson. He got his B.Sc. at the age of 34. Still managed to make it into PHD!
However, as colleague Lurking Oracle pointed out, it will be harder than usual. My advice is to contact professor of interest WAY before you apply. Probably be engaged in some research with him/her? It will greatly enhance your chances.

Yes, I agree with AnthonyLee. Your dream is not a delusion, but it will be a VERY tough row to hoe. You MUST start EARLY and stand out EARLY, even/especially as an undergrad. I truly support ALL forms of non-traditional pathways and diversity in clinical psychology hopefuls (FYI - I am legally married to another man, and was for several years even before last week's SCOTUS decision), but with the exponentially increasing numbers of people applying for clinical psychology doctoral programs, particularly those that are very competitive and in desirable cities, I believe that it is important for everyone to recognize the objective challenges.

Yes, I agree with AnthonyLee. Your dream is not a delusion, but it will be a VERY tough row to hoe. You MUST start EARLY and stand out EARLY, even/especially as an undergrad. I truly support ALL forms of non-traditional pathways and diversity in clinical psychology hopefuls (FYI - I am legally married to another man, and was for several years even before last week's SCOTUS decision), but with the exponentially increasing numbers of people applying for clinical psychology doctoral programs, particularly those that are very competitive and in desirable cities, I believe that it is important for everyone to recognize the objective challenges.
True. The person I was speaking about had a bachelor's degree cum laude.

Also, speaking about my grad WAMC post. I was speaking about Behavioral Neuroscience concentration. I also think about Tulane.

My question is a little different - I won't be applying until 2016 (for Fall 2017 matriculation), but I am interested in what I can do to make my application more competitive for my target list of schools.

Undergrad GPA: 3.0 (first bachelors, economics - I was a total slacker); 4.0 (second bachelors, psychology)
Grad GPA: in progress, but expected to end above 3.7 at least (masters in mental health counseling)
GRE: 163V / 164Q (94 percentile for each) / 5.0 AW; haven't taken psych GRE yet but plan to soon
Other collegiate things: founded a dance company, APA membership, Psi Chi membership, worked throughout college, leadership positions in an investment club and business fraternity... not a lot of psych-y things

Research experience:
- Business statistics (think I/O Psych) research, 2 years at 10 hrs/wk
- Cognitive science research, 3 months at 5 hrs/wk, project got cut due to funding running out, I didn't continue with the lab due to poor organization (my bad, I know...)
- High school science research that won awards at Intel ISEF... usually don't mention this, except I did poster presentations of this project at several undergraduate research symposiums
- Senior thesis was in economics... still had a ton of research, but not very psych related
- Anxiety lab (currently), will be 1 year by the time I apply
- Social development lab (currently), will be 1 year by the time I apply, maaaaybe chance for a publication

Work experience:
- Management consultant, 1 year
- Marketing, 2 years
- Research tech for the state (epidemiology, which is basically number crunching, not administering exams/wet lab/etc.), 6 months contract

Target schools (no particular order):
- Baylor University, PsyD
- Rutgers, PsyD
- UT Austin, PhD Counseling Psychology
- University of Houston, PhD Counseling Psychology
- University of North Texas, PhD Clinical Psychology
- Texas A&M, PhD Clinical Psychology
- Texas Tech, PhD Counseling Psychology
- Boston University, PhD Clinical Psychology
- UMass Boston, PhD Clinical Psychology
- Northeastern University, PhD Counseling Psychology
- Suffolk University, PhD Clinical Psychology
- Clark University, PhD Clinical Psychology
- Boston College, PhD Counseling Psychology
- UMass Amherst, PhD Clinical Psychology
- UNC Chapel Hill, PhD Clinical Psychology

Yes, I realize "get more research" is the big one. Are there any other weaknesses I need to tackle?

Do you have any psych-related conference posters or presentations or publications? How closely rated is your Intel research to psych? A lot of the schools on your list are pretty research focused (UNC, UMass, TAMU, Baylor I'd actually put on there), so they'll likely be expecting some type of research "product." What are your research interests?