This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there, I'd also like to put myself out here and see what the forum thinks of my chances. I am particularly interested to know if my status as a non-traditional 35+ yr old career changer factors in (positively or negatively) on my chances of acceptance. Also, although I am a U.S. citizen, my degrees are from schools outside the U.S. While I'm not considered an international applicant, I do wonder if this has any effect on my chances. So any input on that would be very welcome. Thanks to all who are willing to chime in!

Bachelor's degree in Political Science and History - GPA 3.8
Post Bac in Psychology - GPA 4.0
GRE: 170V (99%)/160Q (78%)/4.5AW (80%)
PSYCH GRE SUBJECT: 800 (99%)
Research Experience: - 1 year (6-7 hrs a week) in an emotion regulation lab - running subjects, data entry, lab meetings
- Summer internship in a lab studying facial expression of emotion (40 hrs a week for 6 weeks)
- 1 independent study done in the context of a research methods/exp psych course (designed, implemented, analyzed, wrote) which I am submitting for publication (1st author) this summer along with the graduate student mentor who helped me.
- 1 co-authorship of a treatment manual developed with grad student and professor
-2nd author on paper about said treatment manual which will be submitted for publication this summer.

Clinical Experience - 1 year volunteering as a supporter for parents in a parent training program which included once weekly meetings with parents and their therapist and twice weekly phone conversations with the parents.

As I have research experience in two different areas I am hoping to match up with faculty on two different research interests: cultural factors in emotion regulation/dysregulation; and parenting for adolescents with externalizing disorders.

I'm looking into the following clinical psychology Phd programs:
Binghamton U.
Boston U.
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
UCLA
U Colorado Boulder
U Denver
Harvard
U Hawaii Manoa
U Maryland College Park
U Nevada Reno
U Oregon
Teachers College Columbia
San Diego State/UCSD
U Vermont
U Washington
Yale

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I would REALLY appreciate a response. I will be applying to clinical psych PhD programs for this upcoming application season (during my senior year of undergrad). Could really use someone to either calm me down and tell me I have a decent shot or crush my dreams and tell me there is no way.
GPA: 3.47
Psych GPA: 3.3
GRE: Not taken yet, studying now. Obviously need to do well to help compensate for GPA. (As a note/another question, I do not intend to take the subject test GRE. None of the programs I am applying to "require" it. Is that going to be a negative mark on my application or just kind of a neutral?)
Research Experience: 1.5 years in a neuropsych lab (not what I want to research for PhD), as well as an NIMH funded fellowship during this summer consisting of 10-weeks of 40hrs/week research in the same lab my 1.5 years experience comes from. During this fellowship we are basically leading our own projects, so I don't know if that helps me but I figure it looks better than "I did data entry all summer". I also have just joined a new lab for my senior year, and it looks like I may actually be developing projects with them, so taking a very active role which I'd be sure to emphasize in my personal statement.
Clinical: A summer of volunteering for a crisis center/suicide hotline (one of my main interest areas are research revolving around suicide).
Teaching: By the December deadline, I'll have been a TA for a psych 101 class for just under two semesters.
Poster: At the end of the fellowship this summer there will be a mini poster session, so I will have technically made and presented a poster (just not in a major conference).
No publications sadly.
Letters of rec: 2 pretty strong letters (one from a renowned professor, but not in the area I am applying to for PhD programs, and one from the departmental assistant dean who is a PhD professor), 1 moderately strong letter, all letters from PhD psychologists
Extra: Was secretary of a research club on campus.

I have a long list of programs I have researched thoroughly consisting of 30 schools that I plan to whittle down to about 15-17 schools by the time I start applying. Just as an example of some of the programs I am planning to apply to: Clark University, University of Georgia, Drexel University, University of Rhode Island, etc.

So, although I know my GPA isn't stellar and my whole application isn't necessarily amazing, do you think if applying to 15-17 schools I should get some interviews assuming I create a strong personal statement?

Last edited:
Don't know how to delete this post.

Last edited:
I'm searching through numerous Clinical Psychology PhD programs and have an interest the neurocorrelates of addiction (alcoholism, illicit substances, other). I began looking while knowing the competition is fierce, but am curious how I may actually stand up to some of the competition. As it stands, I began my post-high school experience at a community college and continuously switched my major, trying to find something I would want to stick with. During this growth phase my GPA dropped to a lowly 3.0. After finding psychology I transferred to a 4-year state university. My school picks are chosen mostly by person of interest research. My credentials are as follows:
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
University GPA - 3.9 (past 2.5 years)
Psychology GPA - 3.9 (2.5 years)
GRE - V: 162
GRE - Q: 160
GRE - W: 4.5
2 years of research experience in a severe psychopathology lab
(Conducted compliance, emotional lability, and language processing assessments of subjects with Schizophrenia or Schizotypy. Interviewed and informed experimental populations. Utilized eye-tracking apparatus, EEG, physiological monitors, E-prime software. Alpha-tested iOS based mobile applications for “Big Data” collection. Transcribed and spliced audio and video files of patients with severe mental illness for publication)
1 year neuropsychology assessment lab: (Evaluated the correlation between executive functioning and assorted neuropsychological assessment batteries. Independently administer and scored numerous sub-tests of the WAIS-IV, RBANS, WMS-R, and the NAB. Administered experimental evaluations (Trail making task, Dot-counting task) and informed consent to undergraduate volunteers. Collected raw data and compiled datasets for 2 studies. Developed laboratory protocols as a member of a research team. Used E-prime software to identify elements of executive functioning. Trail making task, dot-counting task. Compiled datasets and protocols. E-Prime Software use attempting to identify various elements of executive functioning)
Statistical Consultant under names moved (Reviewed raw data and determined appropriate statistical devices for evaluating biological data. Normalized and transformed data per Journal of Bacteriology instruction to authors. Generated data output and graphs for publication in peer reviewed journal. Made suggestions and justified chosen tests. Explained how the statistics should be reported)
Publication:
Names removed. “The Role of RfaH Antitermination Control in Production and Phase Variation of Capsular Polysaccharide in the Marine Pathogen, Vibrio Vulnificus.” Journal of Bacteriology (2016)
Skills: Electroencephalograph. Audio Transcriptions. Audio/Video Splicing. Statistical Analysis. SPSS software. E-Prime software. WAIS-IV. WMS-V. NAB. RBANS
Volunteer Work: Oxford House addiction recovery housing. (2.5 years)
3 letters of rec

Rough draft pick:
Syracuse University
University of South Florida
UT southwestern medical center
Oklahoma state university
University of Arkansas
Olde Miss
University of Memphis
University of Missouri
Brigham Young University
University of Southern Mississippi
Texas Tech University
University of South Dakota
Kent State University
(there are several others I'm trying to decide from)

My concerns are that my publication isn't in psychology. I didn't present at a conference. My overall GPA is low, and various other details. Am I being overly concerned? How competitive am I for a Clinical Psychology PhD program? More specifically: what ranking of schools should I be realistically looking into.

I'm searching through numerous Clinical Psychology PhD programs and have an interest the neurocorrelates of addiction (alcoholism, illicit substances, other). I began looking while knowing the competition is fierce, but am curious how I may actually stand up to some of the competition. As it stands, I began my post-high school experience at a community college and continuously switched my major, trying to find something I would want to stick with. During this growth phase my GPA dropped to a lowly 3.0. After finding psychology I transferred to a 4-year state university. My school picks are chosen mostly by person of interest research. My credentials are as follows:
(Conducted compliance, emotional lability, and language processing assessments of subjects with Schizophrenia or Schizotypy. Interviewed and informed experimental populations. Utilized eye-tracking apparatus, EEG, physiological monitors, E-prime software. Alpha-tested iOS based mobile applications for “Big Data” collection. Transcribed and spliced audio and video files of patients with severe mental illness for publication)
1 year neuropsychology assessment lab: (Evaluated the correlation between executive functioning and assorted neuropsychological assessment batteries. Independently administer and scored numerous sub-tests of the WAIS-IV, RBANS, WMS-R, and the NAB. Administered experimental evaluations (Trail making task, Dot-counting task) and informed consent to undergraduate volunteers. Collected raw data and compiled datasets for 2 studies. Developed laboratory protocols as a member of a research team. Used E-prime software to identify elements of executive functioning. Trail making task, dot-counting task. Compiled datasets and protocols. E-Prime Software use attempting to identify various elements of executive functioning)
Statistical Consultant under names moved (Reviewed raw data and determined appropriate statistical devices for evaluating biological data. Normalized and transformed data per Journal of Bacteriology instruction to authors. Generated data output and graphs for publication in peer reviewed journal. Made suggestions and justified chosen tests. Explained how the statistics should be reported)
Publication:
Names removed. “The Role of RfaH Antitermination Control in Production and Phase Variation of Capsular Polysaccharide in the Marine Pathogen, Vibrio Vulnificus.” Journal of Bacteriology (2016)
Skills: Electroencephalograph. Audio Transcriptions. Audio/Video Splicing. Statistical Analysis. SPSS software. E-Prime software. WAIS-IV. WMS-V. NAB. RBANS
3 letters of rec

Rough draft pick:
Syracuse University
University of Arkansas
Olde Miss
University of Memphis
University of Missouri
Brigham Young University
Texas Tech University
Kent State University

My concerns are that my publication isn't in psychology. I didn't present at a conference. My overall GPA is low, and various other details. Am I being overly concerned? How competitive am I for a Clinical Psychology PhD program? More specifically: what ranking of schools should I be realistically looking into.

Mod Note: Merged into WAMC thread.

Publication:
3 letters of rec

Rough draft pick:
Syracuse University
University of Arkansas
Olde Miss
University of Memphis
University of Missouri
Brigham Young University
Texas Tech University
Kent State University

I interviewed at several of the schools on your list and my cumulative GPA was only slightly higher at 3.5! I did have 2 pending psych pubs, but I think you have a lot of interesting & valuable experience *especially* if you can weave those skills and experiences into a cohesive narrative.

Some schools place more weight on GPA while others (from my experience) didn't even mention GPA (past a certain point).

Are you currently involved in any labs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed at several of the schools on your list and my cumulative GPA was only slightly higher at 3.5! I did have 2 pending psych pubs, but I think you have a lot of interesting & valuable experience *especially* if you can weave those skills and experiences into a cohesive narrative.

Some schools place more weight on GPA while others (from my experience) didn't even mention GPA (past a certain point).

Are you currently involved in any labs?

Not at the moment, I'm working my butt off trying to save money for applications and hopefully flight costs. But yeah, I've been looking at schools with a gleam in my eye when they mention anything about "last 60 credit hours are used to calculate your GPA". haha

Greetings, my name is Alex and I am inquiring to see if I stand a chance at being accepted to Ph.D. programs in my home state of Florida. I am willing to be accepted to a smaller programs like FAU (average GPA of admitted students is 3.6), but I'm mainly only considering public programs and I really have my eye on programs at FIU, FSU and UF, also I am prepared for the LMHC or MFT route if I don't stand a chance. My stats are good, but not stellar:

GPA: 3.558

GRE:156Q&155V (AW is not scored yet)

Graduated from Sacramento City College with honors, transferred to Humboldt State aka California State University (Humboldt)

Major GPA: 3.64

Last 60 semester hours GPA: 3.97

On track to graduate MAGNA CUM LAUDE

Student researcher, for 4 semesters, in 3 experiments working under a fairly well known researcher

Authored a poster presented at WPA in 2016 and will again in 2017

I volunteer in 2 places right now one is in a fairly influential role at a family resource center and secondly I am conducting the day to day operations of a local nonprofit (which is an indoor park for skateboards, bicycles, scooters, rollerblades and roller-skates) including data entry and supervision of very young children.

PSI CHI member

Academic honors awards continually for the past 2 years

What do you think?
Do I have a chance?

Thank you for your help

Grades are decent, GRE scores could use a bump, geographical restriction is probably the biggest killer. If your GRE scores were >75th percentile, at least, the chances would look a good deal better. Outside of that, hopefully LOR's will help the application. But, remember that most people apply to >10 programs. Limiting geographically is one of the worst "kisses of death" in an application, and, in a mentorship model situation, you may have a very difficult time making your case at certain programs if you don't have a good match with a POI.

Thank you for the prompt response, I may apply to a few schools in California as well, I would just ideally like to be closer to the family. If you had to quantify (a guesstimate of course), what do you think as of now, with those GRE scores, last 60 unit GPA, volunteer and strong research expirence my chance is at getting into a PhD program if I apply to say 6 Ph.D (and 4 master programs)?

Thank you for the prompt response, I may apply to a few schools in California as well, I would just ideally like to be closer to the family. If you had to quantify (a guesstimate of course), what do you think as of now, with those GRE scores, last 60 unit GPA, volunteer and strong research expirence my chance is at getting into a PhD program if I apply to say 6 Ph.D (and 4 master programs)?

Impossible to tell without knowing a multitude of factors. What is your research focus, are your POI's accepting students in the year that you are applying, who are your letter writers, how many applications does that program get, how many of the apps are for your POI, and so on, and so on. Any guess at this point is honestly meaningless without actually being on the admissions committee and seeing all of the variables.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I would REALLY appreciate a response. I will be applying to clinical psych PhD programs for this upcoming application season (during my senior year of undergrad). Could really use someone to either calm me down and tell me I have a decent shot or crush my dreams and tell me there is no way.
GPA: 3.47
Psych GPA: 3.3
GRE: Not taken yet, studying now. Obviously need to do well to help compensate for GPA. (As a note/another question, I do not intend to take the subject test GRE. None of the programs I am applying to "require" it. Is that going to be a negative mark on my application or just kind of a neutral?)
Research Experience: 1.5 years in a neuropsych lab (not what I want to research for PhD), as well as an NIMH funded fellowship during this summer consisting of 10-weeks of 40hrs/week research in the same lab my 1.5 years experience comes from. During this fellowship we are basically leading our own projects, so I don't know if that helps me but I figure it looks better than "I did data entry all summer". I also have just joined a new lab for my senior year, and it looks like I may actually be developing projects with them, so taking a very active role which I'd be sure to emphasize in my personal statement.
Clinical: A summer of volunteering for a crisis center/suicide hotline (one of my main interest areas are research revolving around suicide).
Teaching: By the December deadline, I'll have been a TA for a psych 101 class for just under two semesters.
Poster: At the end of the fellowship this summer there will be a mini poster session, so I will have technically made and presented a poster (just not in a major conference).
No publications sadly.
Letters of rec: 2 pretty strong letters (one from a renowned professor, but not in the area I am applying to for PhD programs, and one from the departmental assistant dean who is a PhD professor), 1 moderately strong letter, all letters from PhD psychologists
Extra: Was secretary of a research club on campus.

I have a long list of programs I have researched thoroughly consisting of 30 schools that I plan to whittle down to about 15-17 schools by the time I start applying. Just as an example of some of the programs I am planning to apply to: Clark University, University of Georgia, Drexel University, University of Rhode Island, etc.

So, although I know my GPA isn't stellar and my whole application isn't necessarily amazing, do you think if applying to 15-17 schools I should get some interviews assuming I create a strong personal statement?
Bumping this, hope that's allowed!

My first semester of college I took three classes (got grades A,D,F) received 1.667 gpa but later retook the two classes I failed so it increased my gpa to 4.0. Second semester I received 3.46 gpa. I did a Summer session and got a 4.0. Which brings my current gpa to 3.82
Along with my gpa, I also have a couple of withdraws.. Is that going to be a problem. I fear that my application is going to make me look irresponsible.

I currently attend a community college and it has been rough for various of personal reasons. I'll be starting at a university spring 2017 (as a junior) and by the time i apply for a graduate
program during my 3rd year I feel like I wont have enough (- or any) credentials to impress the high ranked schools I want to apply to. I really don't want to go into a masters program and then transfer to a phd program but i feel like that is what I might need to do to since i still haven't done any research and Im almost done with second year.

Im interested in a clinical psychology phd program.

You still have a chance, provided you:

(1) Stop thinking of anything less than an A as an acceptable course grade
(2) Resolve the personal problems that are genuine barriers to doing well in your studies
(3) Knock on doors and get into a research lab as an RA as soon as you start at the university; become a valuable asset to your lab
(4) Do very well on the GRE; don't take it without adequate preparation
(5) Don't apply to graduate programs until at least your senior year; accept that you may need a gap year or two

Last edited by a moderator:
My first semester of college I took three classes (got grades A,D,F) received 1.667 gpa but later retook the two classes I failed so it increased my gpa to 4.0. Second semester I received 3.46 gpa. I did a Summer session and got a 4.0. Which brings my current gpa to 3.82
Along with my gpa, I also have a couple of withdraws.. Is that going to be a problem. I fear that my application is going to make me look irresponsible.

I currently attend a community college and it has been rough for various of personal reasons. I'll be starting at a university spring 2017 (as a junior) and by the time i apply for a graduate
program during my 3rd year I feel like I wont have enough (- or any) credentials to impress the high ranked schools I want to apply to. I really don't want to go into a masters program and then transfer to a phd program but i feel like that is what I might need to do to since i still haven't done any research and Im almost done with second year.

Im interested in a clinical psychology phd program.

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC sticky.

And to improve clarity, the two replies after your post (from dissonance and MamaPhD) were both meant for you.

You still have a chance, provided you:

(1) Stop thinking of anything less than an A as an acceptable course grade
(2) Resolve the personal problems that are genuine barriers to doing well in your studies
(3) Knock on doors and get into a research lab as an RA as soon as you start at the university; become a valuable asset to your lab
(4) Do very well on the GRE; don't take it without adequate preparation
(5) Don't apply to graduate programs until at least your senior year; accept that you may need a gap year or two
Taking a gap year is what I'm kind of trying to avoid. Instead of taking a gap year, would it be better to do a masters so I can gain research experience and then apply for the phd? At least that way I'll have some of my credits transferable and i wont have to start fresh when starting the PhD. Im looking into accelerated master programs so It would only take me a year to get my master degree.

Taking a gap year can seem scary, but it can make all the difference. I had 1 small poster and a small amount of research experience. After my gap year, I had 3 posters at large conferences, 2 manuscripts in progress, and completed an NSF grant proposal. That gap year was essential. Unless you are doing an experimental master's, it's likely to not help that much. Transfer credits are usually capped & a lot of schools will be hesitant to accept credits for transfer.

Taking a gap year is what I'm kind of trying to avoid. Instead of taking a gap year, would it be better to do a masters so I can gain research experience and then apply for the phd? At least that way I'll have some of my credits transferable and i wont have to start fresh when starting the PhD. Im looking into accelerated master programs so It would only take me a year to get my master degree.

The way I see it, supposing your grades/academics are OK, if you can spend a year or two gainfully employed as a full- or part-time RA, you will be earning a salary rather than paying tuition (most master's programs don't let you "transfer in" to a doctoral program, BTW) and you'll get research experience that's at least as valuable if not more. Having a deep, long-term relationship with a PI will benefit you.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking a gap year can seem scary, but it can make all the difference. I had 1 small poster and a small amount of research experience. After my gap year, I had 3 posters at large conferences, 2 manuscripts in progress, and completed an NSF grant proposal. That gap year was essential. Unless you are doing an experimental master's, it's likely to not help that much. Transfer credits are usually capped & a lot of schools will be hesitant to accept credits for transfer.

Gap year, so like a post baccalaureate program?

The way I see it, supposing your grades/academics are OK, if you can spend a year or two gainfully employed as a full- or part-time RA, you will be earning a salary rather than paying tuition (most master's programs don't let you "transfer in" to a doctoral program, BTW) and you'll get research experience that's at least as valuable if not more. Having a deep, long-term relationship with a PI will benefit you.
I have heard from some people who've entered a phd program with a masters, that they've gotten some electives removed because they were able to transfer in some classes they have previously taken at their other school where they did their masters.

I have heard from some people who've entered a phd program with a masters, that they've gotten some electives removed because they were able to transfer in some classes they have previously taken at their other school where they did their masters.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but there's no guarantee. In my program this wasn't really an option.

WAMC?

I am applying to PsyD programs, but also want to apply to clinical and counseling Phd programs. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.82
Psych GPA: 3.95
GRE: Verbal 164 Quant 154 (projected scores, but haven't officially taken the test)
School: Graduated from top public university
Research experience: 2.5 years as an undergraduate research assistant, currently a research lab manager (1.5 years) for a well-respected professor. Developing a study, but not sure if a paper will be written in time. 1 poster presentation.
Clinical experience: interned for a geriatric counseling psychologist, implement psych interventions for kids, and serve as a grief group counselor for children, worked with special needs children.
Other: Member of psi chi

Do I have a shot at a PhD?

It will be good to get your GRE scores in.. that will definitely help guide your search for schools! I think you should definitely try for PhD programs (your GPA is definitely competitive), when do you take the GRE? Are you applying this cycle?

It will be good to get your GRE scores in.. that will definitely help guide your search for schools! I think you should definitely try for PhD programs (your GPA is definitely competitive), when do you take the GRE? Are you applying this cycle?

I take the GRE mid August and I'm planning to apply this cycle!

I take the GRE mid August and I'm planning to apply this cycle!

That's great! Have you researched potential mentors? The GPA and GRE will get you in the door, but the fit will be the most important factor. Assuming you do well on the GRE, weaving your research experience into a narrative with future directions is your next step. It might be worthwhile to see about doing a poster for a conference (some of the deadlines are still forthcoming), if your mentor will allow and if you are able. It sounds like you've got your feet in the water with the paper, yes?

That's great! Have you researched potential mentors? The GPA and GRE will get you in the door, but the fit will be the most important factor. Assuming you do well on the GRE, weaving your research experience into a narrative with future directions is your next step. It might be worthwhile to see about doing a poster for a conference (some of the deadlines are still forthcoming), if your mentor will allow and if you are able. It sounds like you've got your feet in the water with the paper, yes?

Thanks for this reply! We are currently developing the study, hoping to implement it in the fall, so the paper would probably not be ready on time. I would most likely be beginning it by the time the applications are due. Do you think my lack of pubs/posters will be a huge detriment to my application?

Hello All! I am in the midst of getting ready to start applying for PsyD programs for fall 2017. I would like to get an overall interest of what to expect and hopefully not get my hopes up too much :cool:

Overall GPA 3.14 | BS in Behavioral Neuroscience from a top 15 public university (premed until I hated all of my shadowing rounds and lost interest)
Psych GPA 3.63 | 40 credit hours in Psych, including 3 hours of stats
GRE V 155 | Q 157 | A 4.5 Subject 660

LORs
Coming from my current boss who can talk about my experience as both a on-the-floor mental health technician and a supervisor who participates in the therapy side of our program
2. Member of our clinical team who can speak about my clinical capabilities and how I have strongly contributed to the team
3. A clinical psychologist who I have taken classes with and shadowed

Clinical/Counseling
-
2 years in my university hospital's SICU, where I worked in the family support portion. I helped talk families through grief and provided emotional support to those going through difficult times
- 2 years of volunteering as a General Manager for a program that mentored inner-city youth. The program encourages kids to explore college options and helps them with life difficulties
- CURRENTLY: I work full-time at a shelter for children who are abused/neglected/traumatized from their previous living situations. I am one of two staff that are actively involved in the therapeutic team that actively create treatment plans for our children. I started as a mental health technician there, but now I serve as a shift supervisor 80% of the time I work. I am the only supervisor that works directly with the clinical staff
- CURRENTLY: I serve as a mental health consultant to my family's new business. I create presentations and provide help in regards to mental health and its role in aging-in-place geriatrics. I have received multiple certifications in Alzheimer's and Dementia care and serve as a consultant when my family has to deal with a client who has a mental health disorder

Research

- 2 years of pharmacology research. I had no direct publications, but I was able to help with many projects. (My PI and I did not have a close relationship, so he was never willing to let me handle a project)
- 2.5 years as a peer mentor in research. I helped other students find research projects that was applicable to their interests

Other
- I am able to talk about living 2 years with a schizophrenic roommate who inspired me to switch from a medical degree to a psychology degree

Schools I am interested in applying to (in no particular order)
1. NOVA Southeastern
2. Florida Institute of Technology
3. Roosevelt (Chicago)
4. Midwestern (Glendale)
5. Chicago School of Professional Psychology
6. Layolla
7. LaSalle
8. George Washington
....and possibly more as I continue to do research on schools

Any insight would be awesome! I understand I have a low GPA and average GRE scores. Luckily, I show a rising trend my last 60 semester hours and can personally attribute my first couple of years of not being mature enough to handle the course load I was giving myself. I am potentially going to take the GRE again in October when I know work will be slower and I am able to focus on it. Thank you!

Hi, everyone. I recently took the GRE and my unofficial scores are V: 155/Q: 155. I was wondering if that alone should stop me from applying to certain schools (UNC Chapel Hill, UAB, UT Austin, etc) even though I will have 2 years of research experience and about a 3.6 GPA.

Hi, everyone. I recently took the GRE and my unofficial scores are V: 155/Q: 155. I was wondering if that alone should stop me from applying to certain schools (UNC Chapel Hill, UAB, UT Austin, etc) even though I will have 2 years of research experience and about a 3.6 GPA.
If you look on the APA website (I think you have to make an account with them), they will tell you how much schools rank GPA, GRE, research experience, etc. If a school ranks GRE high, then you might want to reconsider. However, 3 stellar letters of recommendation could easily balance your GRE.

If you look on the APA website (I think you have to make an account with them), they will tell you how much schools rank GPA, GRE, research experience, etc. If a school ranks GRE high, then you might want to reconsider. However, 3 stellar letters of recommendation could easily balance your GRE.

link, please?

Hello all! I am in the process of applying to clinical PhD programs for the Fall 2017 semester! I am applying to about 11 fully funded programs, some of which include:

Uniformed services university medical/clinical psychology
American University Clinical Psychology
University of Utah
Idaho state
Bowling green state
Arizona state university

I have yet to take the GRE, I will be taking it the end of September. I am in a rigorous prep class right now and on my practice test I got 159 on verbal and 157 on quantitative

Undergrad GPA:

Relevant course work:
1 year of undergraduate statistics and research methods
I got accepted accepted into my schools honors thesis program which included three advanced courses in statistics and experimental design.
I also got accepted into a clinical prep program which was designed like a graduate school practicum and it included three graduate school courses on diagnostic interviewing and clinical practice.

I essentially created a mock graduate school program during my time as an undergrad.

Research experience:
2 years working in a lab as an undergrad
1.5 years working on a senior thesis
1 year working as a coordinator for a project
I am currently working on a post bac award for one year at a government research institution where I have been working one on one with a PI on a new research project proposal. We are presenting the proposal next week.

I have 2 conference presentations at my schools research expo and I am expecting to have two more at national conferences in the next year.

I have given two talks at hospitals about specific research. I have a publication in process about running a honor society chapter in a small magazine.

No research based pubs yet :(

Clinical Experience:

1 year working at a private mental health practice where I did administrative work, shadowed the conducting of and scored psych testing, was in charge of patient files and shadowed on sessions

1 year working at an intensive outpatient program where I co-facilitated groups and did individual treatment planning sessions

Other academic components:

1 year TA for research methods
Psi Chi Secretary
Undergrad research grant award
Awarded as one of the top five best graduating seniors in the program
Departmental honors
Post bac fellowship award

Other experience and skills:

PSG
medialab
Matlab
Directrt
Spss
EEG
And I am currently learning how to analyze FMRI images.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

You're a strong candidate. Make sure you have good letters of rec that describe your strengths in detail, esp. from research supervisors. And knock that GRE out of the park.

You haven't mentioned your career goals. You might get some feedback on your program list if you share a bit about what you want to do with your PhD.

You're a strong candidate. Make sure you have good letters of rec that describe your strengths in detail, esp. from research supervisors. And knock that GRE out of the park.

You haven't mentioned your career goals. You might get some feedback on your program list if you share a bit about what you want to do with your PhD.
Thank you for the feedback! I have a letter from my thesis mentor who is also the same PhD I worked for in his lab for two years. I have a letter from the PI I have been doing the government research with and I have a letter from the director of the honors thesis program who can vouch for my research and academic abilities. Do you think those would be good recs?

I am trying my best to increase my GRE score, but I am really terrible in standardized testing. I am confident that I can get my verbal to at least 160, but I have been stagnant on quantitative. I am working my butt off though.

As for career goals, I am personally more focused on the research aspect of psychology rather than the clinical aspect. I am interested in researching cognitive and emotional processes that maintain pathology. I am also interested in developing novel computerized interventions and assessments utilizing different cognitive theories. I am interested in utilizing these methods into the clinical setting as well. I am interested in OCD spectrum disorders, anxiety disorders and impulse control disorders.

I have a few comments

1) You need to make sure you have a few relationships that are very strong for getting Letters of Rec. The only alarms I hear is that you quit on a lab because you weren't getting good results. Therefore, will these people still write you a rec? All grad programs require 3 recs in Clinical Psychology

2) I'd actually disagree with you regarding all of your premed ECS are relevant for clinical psychology. I could be totally wrong, but in premed boards and "How to get into Medical School" I always hear a lot about service oriented things, volunteer hours, social responsibility stuff. I think this is really less emphasized in clinical psychology programs. It might be a great thing to have, but I think it will contribute less to your application than if you were applying to medicine.

3) My best advice is that you get research experience. I know you said you don't like research, but if you want to get into a Ph.D. program in Clinical, they are generally always looking for research experience. I'd find a lab you can volunteer in for at least a year, maybe longer. If you start now, you can probably get some nice experiences before you apply next Fall.

4) Start to learn your field. Shadowing sounds interesting, but you can also just start to read papers in the field you want to enter, and learn who the key players are and the big concepts.

Hi! When you say "find a lab you can volunteer in," how does one find a lab? Does that mean find a professor at my university whose interest matches mine, or like a private company somewhere? Thanks!

Letters Of Recommendation: A Stupid Question Worth Asking: If someone is applying to five+ clinical psych programs, does that mean an applicant should ask their "recommenders" to print out five copies of the same generic letter and then sign them all, or should they each be tailored to each school individually? I don't know...tailoring each seems like a lot of work. I feel like it's asking a lot of my former professors to take the time to write ONE letter, let alone five different ones.

I didn't know that!! Wish I had known that when I was applying 6 years ago-- fortunately things all worked out for me :) but how helpful to know! I also think that in some situations for some schools, doing awesome on the psych subject GRE can help overcome a less stellar general GRE

Letters Of Recommendation: A Stupid Question Worth Asking: If someone is applying to five+ clinical psych programs, does that mean an applicant should ask their "recommenders" to print out five copies of the same generic letter and then sign them all, or should they each be tailored to each school individually? I don't know...tailoring each seems like a lot of work. I feel like it's asking a lot of my former professors to take the time to write ONE letter, let alone five different ones.
Each time I have asked folks to write rec letters for me (grad school x 2, postdocs, internship), I have left that up tot hem but the key to making it most likely that they will tailor them is to make it AS EASY AS POSSIBLE. I provided each of my letter writers with a binder that had different pages for each program with the basic info (method of submitting, etc) but also bullet points for 1) why i'm interested in this specific program and 2) why I'm a good fit for this specific program. I've heard many folks say thsoe were v helpful in quickly tweaking the letters. Also let them know what your top 2 are. Some folks are willing to tailor a couple of letters if they know they're your top choices.

I am trying my best to increase my GRE score, but I am really terrible in standardized testing. I am confident that I can get my verbal to at least 160, but I have been stagnant on quantitative. I am working my butt off though.
Despite my best efforts I remained squarely 50th percentile for math on GRE (though did v well on writing and verbal). Studied hard for the subject test and after being accepted my adviser told me that he found that helped his impression of me when looking at scores.

Each time I have asked folks to write rec letters for me (grad school x 2, postdocs, internship), I have left that up tot hem but the key to making it most likely that they will tailor them is to make it AS EASY AS POSSIBLE. I provided each of my letter writers with a binder that had different pages for each program with the basic info (method of submitting, etc) but also bullet points for 1) why i'm interested in this specific program and 2) why I'm a good fit for this specific program. I've heard many folks say thsoe were v helpful in quickly tweaking the letters. Also let them know what your top 2 are. Some folks are willing to tailor a couple of letters if they know they're your top choices.

@singasongofjoy A binder is a fantastic idea, thank you! That makes a lot of sense. Rather than leaving the poor recommend-ers sitting in front of a blank word doc like: "what did that guy do in my class again?" I will certainly take your advice.

Finally took the GRE, so I was wondering what my chances are for some neuropsych focused PhD and PsyD programs. Obviously program list isn't final as I listed a ton of schools.

PhD:
University of Florida
Howard University
University of Houston
Northwestern
Palo Alto University
UTexas Southwestern
University of Cincinnati
Georgia State
University of Rhode Island

PsyD:
Florida Institute of Tech
Widener
Yeshiva
University of Denver
Wright State University
Pacific University - Oregon
Nova Southeastern
Roosevelt University
La Salle University
University of Indianapolis

GPA: 3.5
Psych GPA: ~3.7

GRE: 155V 156Q (is this a competitive score or should I take it again?)

Research/Clinical experience:

2 years of summer/winter breaks interning/assisting in research for a neuropsychologist at an AMC
1 poster presented at INS (2nd author) another just submitted to INS for the upcoming conference (1st author)
1 year in a clinical psych lab (worked directly with children and adults with anxiety disorder. Got to administer intelligence tests among other things)
1 semester interning for a non-profit that helps formerly homeless (did client intakes and such)
Will be coauthor on a published paper, but that almost definitely will not be done by the app deadline.

Hi everyone, I am looking into PhD programs in Clinical Psychology and Counseling Psychology. I'm nervous about getting into a program with the current GRE scores that I have, I'm wanting to know whether or not I need to take the GRE again in order to be accepted into a program. Here is my background information:

Bilingual: fluent in Spanish and English

GRE from 2012:
Verbal: 145
Quantitative: 142
Writing: 3.5

Undergrad (Major in Psychology, Minor Criminal Justice)
GPA: 3.49
Graduate (M.A. in Clinical Psychology)
GPA: 3.79

Clinical Experience: A little over a year working in a pediatric hospital providing psychosocial services to patients and their families. 90% of the population seen are Hispanic/Latino and therefore psychotherapy is conducted in Spanish, this includes clinical interviews. The other 10% are English speaking patients. The psychological problems addressed in this population are adjustment to burn injury, anxiety, depression, grief, trauma symptoms, body image concerns, itch, pain, and social skills. I also conduct research that involves implementing interventions for anxiety and pain for pediatric patients at the hospital. I did my Masters level clinical internship at this hospital and then was hired after my internship.

Clinical Practicum: I did my Masters level practicum at the community psychology clinic at our university. The client population was young adult and adults who had anxiety, depression, personality disorders, low-risk suicidality, and hoarding.

Teaching Experience: I was a graduate teacher assistant for one semester for a micro psychotherapy skills class for graduate students.

Research Experience: 1 professional conference in which I did an oral presentation, 1 poster presentation in graduate school, 3 poster presentations in undergraduate school (I received 1st place for one of the posters I presented which I was first author in)
Undergrad: 2 labs, also helped a fellow classmate with her study (data entry, administered questionnaires)
Graduate: 0 labs
Hospital: 2 case studies
1 is in the process of being published (first author), this was the oral presentation I did for a conference
The other study is being conducted and the plan is to submit it to a conference (first author)

I have great reference letters from my two clinical supervisors at the hospital (licensed psychologist and a psychiatrist), research supervisor at the hospital (visiting cognitive psychologist from UW), and graduate professor (was also my clinical supervisor for practicum).

I am going to take the NCE for my LPC and start earning my hours at the hospital I work at.

The programs I have looked into are the following:

University of Austin - PhD in Counseling or Clinical
Texas Women's University - PhD Counseling
University of Houston - PhD Counseling
University of Texas Southwestern - PhD Clinical
San Diego State University/University of California, San Diego Joint Program - PhD Clinical
Teachers College, Columbia University - PhD Clinical or Counseling
Duke University - PhD Clinical
Kent State University - PhD Clinical
University of Kansas - PhD Clinical

Any feedback would be appreciated. If there are other programs that you would recommend that would be great. I am interested in pediatric psychology, and behavioral health psychology. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am looking into PhD programs in Clinical Psychology and Counseling Psychology. I'm nervous about getting into a program with the current GRE scores that I have, I'm wanting to know whether or not I need to take the GRE again in order to be accepted into a program. Here is my background information:

Bilingual: fluent in Spanish and English

GRE from 2012:
Verbal: 145
Quantitative: 142
Writing: 3.5

Undergrad (Major in Psychology, Minor Criminal Justice)
GPA: 3.49
Graduate (M.A. in Clinical Psychology)
GPA: 3.79

Clinical Experience: A little over a year working in a pediatric hospital providing psychosocial services to patients and their families. 90% of the population seen are Hispanic/Latino and therefore psychotherapy is conducted in Spanish, this includes clinical interviews. The other 10% are English speaking patients. The psychological problems addressed in this population are adjustment to burn injury, anxiety, depression, grief, trauma symptoms, body image concerns, itch, pain, and social skills. I also conduct research that involves implementing interventions for anxiety and pain for pediatric patients at the hospital. I did my Masters level clinical internship at this hospital and then was hired after my internship.

Clinical Practicum: I did my Masters level practicum at the community psychology clinic at our university. The client population was young adult and adults who had anxiety, depression, personality disorders, low-risk suicidality, and hoarding.

Teaching Experience: I was a graduate teacher assistant for one semester for a micro psychotherapy skills class for graduate students.

Research Experience: 1 professional conference in which I did an oral presentation, 1 poster presentation in graduate school, 3 poster presentations in undergraduate school (I received 1st place for one of the posters I presented which I was first author in)
Undergrad: 2 labs, also helped a fellow classmate with her study (data entry, administered questionnaires)
Graduate: 0 labs
Hospital: 2 case studies
1 is in the process of being published (first author), this was the oral presentation I did for a conference
The other study is being conducted and the plan is to submit it to a conference (first author)

I have great reference letters from my two clinical supervisors at the hospital (licensed psychologist and a psychiatrist), research supervisor at the hospital (visiting cognitive psychologist from UW), and graduate professor (was also my clinical supervisor for practicum).

I am going to take the NCE for my LPC and start earning my hours at the hospital I work at.

The programs I have looked into are the following:

University of Austin - PhD in Counseling or Clinical
Texas Women's University - PhD Counseling
University of Houston - PhD Counseling
University of Texas Southwestern - PhD Clinical
San Diego State University/University of California, San Diego Joint Program - PhD Clinical
Teachers College, Columbia University - PhD Clinical or Counseling
Duke University - PhD Clinical
Kent State University - PhD Clinical
University of Kansas - PhD Clinical

Any feedback would be appreciated. If there are other programs that you would recommend that would be great. I am interested in pediatric psychology, and behavioral health psychology. Thank you!

Yep, you definitely need to retake the GRE.

https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

Your 145 verbal and 142 quant translate to a 380 and 470, respectively, on the old scale. that means you are in the 26th percentile for verbal and 12th percentile for quant translates.

That's just far too low for any of the funded programs, especially very selective programs like Duke.

Yep, you definitely need to retake the GRE.

https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

Your 145 verbal and 142 quant translate to a 380 and 470, respectively, on the old scale. that means you are in the 26th percentile for verbal and 12th percentile for quant translates.

That's just far too low for any of the funded programs, especially very selective programs like Duke.

Thank you for your feedback.

I just feel that I have everything else except for a good GRE score and therefore wanted to know how much the score determines if you get into a program.

Here is my current standing:

3.oo Undergrad GPA
Estimated GRE based on practice tests: Q - 166 V - 156
Currently no research experience. My undergrad degree is in Finance with minors in Econ and Psych.
- I could potentially find a research or work position in this area between now and my application deadlines of December 1st

How does this look for an application, potentially in cognitive or clinical PhD, or a PsyD program?

WAMC?

Last edited:
Here is my current standing:

3.oo Undergrad GPA
Estimated GRE based on practice tests: Q - 166 V - 156
Currently no research experience. My undergrad degree is in Finance with minors in Econ and Psych.
- I could potentially find a research or work position in this area between now and my application deadlines of December 1st

How does this look for an application, potentially in cognitive or clinical PhD, or a PsyD program?

WAMC?!?!?!?

What programs are interested in applying to?

Even with your very good GRE scores, a 3.0 cumulative GPA and no research experience will probably preclude you from any APA-accredited, funded programs.

You should probably apply to experimental psych masters programs instead to make up for your relatively low undergrad GPA and give you research opportunities, possibly even allowing you to get a poster or publication out of it. Any doctoral applications right now would probably just be wastes of time and money at this point,

Hi all – So I’m an occasional lurker, now a first time poster! I’m planning to apply to clinical psychology PhD programs this fall. I thought I’d share my stats/background – I appreciate any and all feedback. I know that the process is incredibly competitive and hope that I have a chance.

GPA: 3.7

GRE: 157Q, 165V, 5.5AWA

Research experience:

- 2 independent research projects during undergrad (part of two different research seminars).

- Two years in an emotion/mood lab during undergrad

- 1.5 years (at time of applying) full time Clinical Research Assistant in my area of interest

Volunteer experience:

- Hospice volunteer

- Group facilitator for children’s grief support groups

- Crisis hotline

Posters: 13 (most at national conferences, 1st author on 5)

Publications: 1, more of a brief report

References: 3 solid ones (PI from my current position + 2 professors from undergrad, did research with both)

Thoughts? Thank you in advance!