wtfook

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
So, yes you are right I basically want to do therapy. Basically, work at a correctional facility and use it as a good basics to gain experience, along with the required hours to get my LPC. I will be done with the Mental Health Counseling degree this year and wanted to see if I should waste any time trying to apply for this cycle of Ph.D. programs. The main reason I would want to get a doctorate is to try and get a tenure-track position somewhere. I assume that I could do this with a Masters degree, but thinking that a "professional" Psy.D school is the realistic goal if I want to do this. Honestly, I think I am just weighing my options to see if I should retake the GRE and if it would even be worth it.
In order to achieve a tenure track position, you need to spend most of your time publishing, doing a post doc that's research oriented, etc... You wont get a tenure track position because you have an LPC. You wont get it because you have years of clinical experience as a therapist at a correctional facility. You'll get it because you've been teaching classes and publishing papers. So honestly, like MamaPHD said, you should think about what you actually want to spend your hours doing. If you have a passion for clinical practice, just stick with the LPC and teach some adjunct classes. If you have a passion for research and teaching, then go ahead and get a PhD. That'll allow you to be most competitive for the field. It sounds right now like you are VERY ambivalent about a doctorate so I'd recommend just waiting. Interviewers will be able to smell that ambivalence, especially if you are lacking in research experience already. They'd want to know what you want to research, how your interests are aligned with theirs, and how serious you are about research. If you cant answer those questions, you wont get accepted. And the interview process is VERY expensive. It might be better to just work on your LPC, teach adjunct, and take up with a research lab on the side. If you find you enjoy the teaching and the research, lean into it more heavily to get the experience, boast your resume, and apply later with a better GRE score once you're more sure.

Oct 20, 2018
Hi folks, looking for a brutally honest assessment here for child clinical psych programs:

GPAs (approximations from a non-US system):
MS (psych, very competitive school): 3.91
MA (psych, very competitive school): 3.93
Undergrad (not psych, not very competitive school): 3.55

GRE:
169V, 5.0AW, and the kicker: 148Q.
I took it twice, and despite that all my practice tests (including ETS' own) were in the 157-159 region for quant, the actual test sparks such a serious panic in me that I can't seem to do any better than that. I don't have time to take it again for this cycle, so it is what it is for now.

Research experience:
8 months full-time paid RA at a top US university working with elementary-school aged children with NDD
1 year volunteer RA at a top UK university working with adolescents on a study into emotion regulation and digital technology
6 months volunteer data management assistant for a large study into depression in adolescents
2 empirical dissertations (1 for each master's degree), one of which won an interdepartmental award

I guess what I'm here for is if I should even bother applying this year, given my quant score.

jdawg2017

Doctoral Student of Clinical Psychology
2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hi folks, looking for a brutally honest assessment here for child clinical psych programs:

GPAs (approximations from a non-US system):
MS (psych, very competitive school): 3.91
MA (psych, very competitive school): 3.93
Undergrad (not psych, not very competitive school): 3.55

GRE:
169V, 5.0AW, and the kicker: 148Q.
I took it twice, and despite that all my practice tests (including ETS' own) were in the 157-159 region for quant, the actual test sparks such a serious panic in me that I can't seem to do any better than that. I don't have time to take it again for this cycle, so it is what it is for now.

Research experience:
8 months full-time paid RA at a top US university working with elementary-school aged children with NDD
1 year volunteer RA at a top UK university working with adolescents on a study into emotion regulation and digital technology
6 months volunteer data management assistant for a large study into depression in adolescents
2 empirical dissertations (1 for each master's degree), one of which won an interdepartmental award

I guess what I'm here for is if I should even bother applying this year, given my quant score.

That Q score is pretty rough, not gonna lie (31% is low average, but not great when successful applicants usually have at least a 70% or higher in each section). I would consult with your letter writers on how you want to explain that score. This is going to be especially important if you are applying to funded PhD programs (which are competitive than PsyD programs) and if the program you are applying to or work you want to do has a heavy quant basis.

I'm just a student, but as a person on an advisory committee I'd be curious as to why you got two masters degrees, both in psychology... at least to me that seems kind of weird (but maybe it's something about the European system... IDK).

Other than that, your stats are pretty good. If you have any papers or posters that are peer-reviewed, be sure to mention those.

Oct 20, 2018
That Q score is pretty rough, not gonna lie (31% is low average, but not great when successful applicants usually have at least a 70% or higher in each section). I would consult with your letter writers on how you want to explain that score. This is going to be especially important if you are applying to funded PhD programs (which are competitive than PsyD programs) and if the program you are applying to or work you want to do has a heavy quant basis.

I'm just a student, but as a person on an advisory committee I'd be curious as to why you got two masters degrees, both in psychology... at least to me that seems kind of weird (but maybe it's something about the European system... IDK).

Other than that, your stats are pretty good. If you have any papers or posters that are peer-reviewed, be sure to mention those.
Thank you so much for your feedback! Yeah, I was a little vague about my actual degrees for privacy purposes. The first is a theory-heavy degree and the second is a conversion master's (as I don't have a bachelor's in psych), which would have been necessary for applying to PhDs in some European countries.

I do not have any papers or posters, which is just a real shame because where I got my degrees, pre-doctoral research is seriously downplayed. I had to beg for research experience at even a master's level, so I'm grateful for what I got (with an American, lol), but there were not opportunities to publish, etc. Do you think this would be a problem?

It's a good idea to talk to my letter writers, yeah. I always do great in stats and data analysis classes, though only one of those would show up on my application.

wtfook

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
Thank you so much for your feedback! Yeah, I was a little vague about my actual degrees for privacy purposes. The first is a theory-heavy degree and the second is a conversion master's (as I don't have a bachelor's in psych), which would have been necessary for applying to PhDs in some European countries.

I do not have any papers or posters, which is just a real shame because where I got my degrees, pre-doctoral research is seriously downplayed. I had to beg for research experience at even a master's level, so I'm grateful for what I got (with an American, lol), but there were not opportunities to publish, etc. Do you think this would be a problem?

It's a good idea to talk to my letter writers, yeah. I always do great in stats and data analysis classes, though only one of those would show up on my application.
Research is very important to get into a funded program in an American institution. While lacking a publication may not break you, not having any kind of presentation experience, not even a poster, will definitely hurt you, especially if you already have a very low Quant score. I would take the GRE again honestly to see if you can raise the quant score. Or take some time to do more research, present, do something. Schools in the US also care very much about what your research interests are, how they fit with the advisor's current work, and whether you have a clear idea of what you want to be doing research wise in the next 5 years. And not just, "I want to work with kids" or even "I want to study depression in adolescents." When I was interviewing, potential advisors asked me some very specific questions about what my research plans were.

Reactions: JoePianist
Apr 11, 2018
Status
Psychologist
I screwed up my GRE yesterday. I want an opinion on whether this is still worth a shot. I'm an international applicant with a strong work background in the areas I'm applying in (3 yrs of work ex in trauma, juvenile justice and global mental health). I have a Master's in Clinical Psychology from a prestigious university in my country and some publications.

GPA - 3.89

GRE - 162V, 152Q and (probably) 6 AW.

I have strong letters of rec and hopefully a decent SoP. Need to know if the Quant score is enough to rule me out.

Oct 20, 2018
Research is very important to get into a funded program in an American institution. While lacking a publication may not break you, not having any kind of presentation experience, not even a poster, will definitely hurt you, especially if you already have a very low Quant score. I would take the GRE again honestly to see if you can raise the quant score. Or take some time to do more research, present, do something. Schools in the US also care very much about what your research interests are, how they fit with the advisor's current work, and whether you have a clear idea of what you want to be doing research wise in the next 5 years. And not just, "I want to work with kids" or even "I want to study depression in adolescents." When I was interviewing, potential advisors asked me some very specific questions about what my research plans were.
Okay, thanks. And by "do more research," do you mean that 2+ years as an RA and 2 dissertations is not enough research work by volume, or that it isn't enough because it didn't involve presentations?

jdawg2017

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Psychology
Okay, thanks. And by "do more research," do you mean that 2+ years as an RA and 2 dissertations is not enough research work by volume, or that it isn't enough because it didn't involve presentations?
If you got no pubs or presentations out of that, then yes, that is not enough research work. You have years of experience, but no evidence of productivity when it comes to metrics that matter to the field (e.g., publishing your work).

Oct 20, 2018
A masters degree isn't going to get you a tenure-track position. A PsyD is not the ideal either. Although it's possible with a PsyD, most TT have a Ph.D. This is because part of the job is publication and most PsyD programs exclude that as part of their training. I don't hire an accountant who has never done taxes to do mine. Same reason they don't hire folks without research experience. If you can get one, it will be at a small liberal arts school where you aren't expected to do as much research. You will still have difficulties there even without research.
I think after getting some feedback there is certainly more to just getting a Tenured-Tracked position than just stating that I would like it. I think the majority of, if not all researchers would love a TT position. After reviewing everything I do think a Psy.D might be the more rational option because I would like to work in a correctional setting as either an LPC or staff psychologists. Being an adjunct is something I have not really thought about before now. Honestly, just doing that on the side and concentrating on working full-time at a correctional facility I think would be better for me not only because of my previous experiences but also because the cost of interviews and most likely not getting in anywhere with my GRE scores as they are. I think being able to teach is something I am interested in, but as an adjunct, you do not have the same expectation of publishing as a full-time TT position would require. For the most part, I do not have any real research experience because I have been working full-time throughout my college years and taking care of my father. So, being able to just enjoy my work and teach on the side might be much more doable.

Now with that said the challenge becomes how to get into a Psy.D program. I am looking into the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). There is some college I have been told that take this. Is this an "easier" test and does anyone know other Psy.D or Counseling Psych Ph.D. programs that accept the MAT?

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I think after getting some feedback there is certainly more to just getting a Tenured-Tracked position than just stating that I would like it. I think the majority of, if not all researchers would love a TT position. After reviewing everything I do think a Psy.D might be the more rational option because I would like to work in a correctional setting as either an LPC or staff psychologists. Being an adjunct is something I have not really thought about before now. Honestly, just doing that on the side and concentrating on working full-time at a correctional facility I think would be better for me not only because of my previous experiences but also because the cost of interviews and most likely not getting in anywhere with my GRE scores as they are. I think being able to teach is something I am interested in, but as an adjunct, you do not have the same expectation of publishing as a full-time TT position would require. For the most part, I do not have any real research experience because I have been working full-time throughout my college years and taking care of my father. So, being able to just enjoy my work and teach on the side might be much more doable.

Now with that said the challenge becomes how to get into a Psy.D program. I am looking into the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). There is some college I have been told that take this. Is this an "easier" test and does anyone know other Psy.D or Counseling Psych Ph.D. programs that accept the MAT?
The most rational option is to consider all reputable programs, including PhDs. The vast majority of PhDs are working in primarily clinical careers. No reason to take 80+% of your options off the table at the start. As for the research stuff, you'll need research experience for both the reputable PsyDs and clinical PhDs. You can always go the diploma mill route, but then you have to get ready to likely settle for a considerably lower salary and fewer job prospects.

Last edited:

wtfook

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
When you say dissertation, were these master's level or undergraduate level? I ask because in the United States, we only call the research project you do in order to obtain your PhD a dissertation. For the other degrees, they are called a thesis. While a master's and undergrad level thesis/dissertation is great and shows you can design a project, I know that many candidates have achieved those things AND presented that research or published that research. So that's what I mean. I've seen feedback from this website to others that you could work for a lab for years but unless it resulted in a product of some sort which you contributed to, the program may wonder why you worked somewhere for so long but wasn't able to participate in writing up a manuscript or presenting data for that project. I'm not saying your experience isn't great or that you didn't contribute. It was 2 years so that's great and an RA position for that long always looks great on your resume. But they will probably ask about your contribution to that lab and may bring up why you did not present data for that lab, so be prepared for that.

Reactions: Justanothergrad
Oct 20, 2018
When you say dissertation, were these master's level or undergraduate level? I ask because in the United States, we only call the research project you do in order to obtain your PhD a dissertation. For the other degrees, they are called a thesis. While a master's and undergrad level thesis/dissertation is great and shows you can design a project, I know that many candidates have achieved those things AND presented that research or published that research. So that's what I mean. I've seen feedback from this website to others that you could work for a lab for years but unless it resulted in a product of some sort which you contributed to, the program may wonder why you worked somewhere for so long but wasn't able to participate in writing up a manuscript or presenting data for that project. I'm not saying your experience isn't great or that you didn't contribute. It was 2 years so that's great and an RA position for that long always looks great on your resume. But they will probably ask about your contribution to that lab and may bring up why you did not present data for that lab, so be prepared for that.
They were both master's level. (I did one for undergrad too, but it's not in a relevant field.) That's a great discrepancy to point out, though, so to avoid confusion I may refer to them as theses in some cases. Thank you!

Re: the necessity of pre-doctoral publishing, I noticed a gap between the convictions of students about this and those of research associates, so I decided to poll the researchers I currently work with. Of the 6 I asked (all privately), all said that having your name on a publication is evidence that you had a generous lab/PI, not that you are more qualified for a PhD than others. Four mentioned an applicant of a few years prior who was particularly impressive because she had designed her own research, gotten a grant, and published as a sole author during undergrad, but that is crazy rare (for now).

Even though this is just one university's department, I think it's much better evidence than what I'm hearing through people who have been accepted to programs but weren't directly involved in the admissions process. The concern about proving my contribution through presenting/publication (and not through skills I can speak to and recommendation letters) seems odd, too, as for all my positions, I contributed in the first 1-2 years of 3-5 year projects. My name will show up on the eventual publications, but am I supposed to wait until the projects wrap up and my name is in print before I apply for PhDs? Avoid projects that aren't near the publication stage? It just seems like if this is the standard, admissions committees are bizarrely oblivious to the varying timelines research projects adhere to. Am I missing something about the U.S. system?

Last edited:

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Am I missing something about the U.S. system?
Yes. It's not that unusual for an undergrad to not have a publication. Many don't, but the ones that do stand out quite a bit (if it's quality). A greater number will have a poster presentation at a national conference or such, which definitely helps. Now, when people come in from masters programs, with multiple years of research, and a thesis or two, to not have multiple poster presentations and/or a submitted publication, something seems off. It speaks to a failure to turn that research into something productive in the end and they will view it as a red flag. Especially on the presentation front as those are generally low hanging fruit. Now, there may be some extenuating circumstances. For example, a long-term RCT, although even those release preliminary findings after data collection phases.

wtfook

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
They were both master's level. (I did one for undergrad too, but it's not in a relevant field.) That's a great discrepancy to point out, though, so to avoid confusion I may refer to them as theses in some cases. Thank you!

Re: the necessity of pre-doctoral publishing, I noticed a gap between the convictions of students about this and those of research associates, so I decided to poll the researchers I currently work with. Of the 6 I asked (all privately), all said that having your name on a publication is evidence that you had a generous lab/PI, not that you are more qualified for a PhD than others. Four mentioned an applicant of a few years prior who was particularly impressive because she had designed her own research, gotten a grant, and published as a sole author during undergrad, but that is crazy rare (for now).

Even though this is just one university's department, I think it's much better evidence than what I'm hearing through people who have been accepted to programs but weren't directly involved in the admissions process. The concern about proving my contribution through presenting/publication (and not through skills I can speak to and recommendation letters) seems odd, too, as for all my positions, I contributed in the first 1-2 years of 3-5 year projects. My name will show up on the eventual publications, but am I supposed to wait until the projects wrap up and my name is in print before I apply for PhDs? Avoid projects that aren't near the publication stage? It just seems like if this is the standard, admissions committees are bizarrely oblivious to the varying timelines research projects adhere to. Am I missing something about the U.S. system?
Right I agree with what @WisNeuro said above. I think I may not be articulating myself well. The point ISN'T to have published before applying to programs. That is why I said a presentation OR publication. Many people (including undergraduates) have SOME kind of poster presentation credit to their name, even if it's just something that was going on in their home institutions. It shows that they could synthesize data, turn it into a product, and make meaning out of it. That is something that a doctoral student has to be able to do. Maybe you analyzed data. Maybe you entered data. Maybe you helped develop codes or collected data from patients. But did you collect that data together, make meaning out of it, do research on hypothesis, and tie it together into some sort of poster, presentation, or paper? And if not, do you have that ability? So if you're WORKING on something, that's great! Or if you HAVE contributed to helping with something similar and can speak on that, that's also great. But the point isn't to have some superficial notch on your belt saying you've published. The point I'm trying to make is that you could be involved in a lab for years doing a lot of the background work but have zero experience turning all that data into something that tells a story. And so you should be able to feel confident you can prove you DO have that experience and if you feel like you can then great. Go ahead and apply. Although I may recommend trying to raise the quant score first. it's pretty low and will hold you back.

Oct 29, 2018
Hi all, I am looking for honest feedback on strength of my application for School/ Clinical Child psychology PsyD programs. I attend a public university (application rate ~35%), and I am receiving a BA in Psychology on the Applied Behavior Analysis track and BS in Accounting with an Education minor. I am in the honors program for both majors. GPA: 3.83, Psychology GPA: 3.9. GRE Scores: 161Q, 158V, 4.5W with minimal studying, will be taking again in a few weeks.

Clinical Experience:
2 yr teacher's aide at ABA school for children with ASD (8 hr/wk)
3 yr executive board member and current Director/President of program that takes underprivileged and foster children on Saturday day trips (6 hr/wk)
1 yr volunteer at school for at risk youth (2 hr/wk)
7 yr volunteer/ employee at summer camp for individuals with disabilities
2 yr co-founder and VP of Best Buddies (2 hr/wk)

Research Experience (I know it is extremely lacking):
1 semester in psycholinguistics lab. I am hoping to write an honors thesis, but I am not sure it will be approved.
I mainly focused my time on applied/clinical experiences, and I know I am late to research. However, I want to pursue research regarding ABA and treatment for children with ASD, and most of my outside experiences are relevant to that focus.

Looking to apply to St. Johns, Kean, Pace, Yeshiva, Albany
I appreciate all the help/ advice I can get!

psych.meout

2+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hi all, I am looking for honest feedback on strength of my application for School/ Clinical Child psychology PsyD programs. I attend a public university (application rate ~35%), and I am receiving a BA in Psychology on the Applied Behavior Analysis track and BS in Accounting with an Education minor. I am in the honors program for both majors. GPA: 3.83, Psychology GPA: 3.9. GRE Scores: 161Q, 158V, 4.5W with minimal studying, will be taking again in a few weeks.

Clinical Experience:
3 yr executive board member and current Director/President of program that takes underprivileged and foster children on Saturday day trips (6 hr/wk)

1 semester in psycholinguistics lab. I am hoping to write an honors thesis, but I am not sure it will be approved.
I mainly focused my time on applied/clinical experiences, and I know I am late to research. However, I want to pursue research regarding ABA and treatment for children with ASD, and most of my outside experiences are relevant to that focus.

Are you applying this year or next year?

Oct 29, 2018
Hi everyone, I am applying to the clinical psychology program at Duquesne. It is a hail mary application more or less, but I thought I would ask.

Undergraduate major: Philosophy, Minor: Psychology (15 credit hours)
Cumulative gpa: 3.38/4.0; psychology gpa: 3.0; major gpa: 3.71
GRE: taking the real thing on Nov 14, but on the practice ETS test, I got a Verbal 158, and Quantitative: 151
Research experience: 2 semesters in an interdisciplinary, cognitive scientific AI lab doing qualitative research which led to two presentations and one professional conference (which had a publication in the proceedings)
Teaching experience: I was a teaching assistant and graded papers and assignments for an introduction to puzzles and paradoxes course
Publications: 3 publications, one in philosophy in an undergraduate journal; plus 2 essay prizes
Coursework: two courses in phenomenology and one in existentialism, all the usual intro psychology courses: human memory, social psych, child psych, etc. with an A+ in abnormal
Conferences: 3 professional conferences, one at a prestigious phenomenology conference at Duquesne with my philosophy advisor who also presented her paper
Letters of recommendation: on-point. I attended two professional conferences with and was the TA for one letter writer, and the other was my research adviser and had a publication with; the third letter writer I did an independent study with which led to a publication
Writing sample: it is on the phenomenology of loneliness and does a philosophical analysis of loneliness. it won me an essay prize and was presented at two conferences

It is a long-shot and sorry for the long post. But what could I say in my entry essay to improve my chances? I am researching faculty members and recent dissertations and so forth. I am going to reach out to a faculty member soon as someone I may want to work with. Any tips?

Thanks!

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
It is a long-shot and sorry for the long post. But what could I say in my entry essay to improve my chances? I am researching faculty members and recent dissertations and so forth. I am going to reach out to a faculty member soon as someone I may want to work with. Any tips?

Thanks!
Duquesne gets about 100 applications and accepts about 7 people each year. Your GPA is a decent amount under the average, and a psych GPA of 3.0 is ....not good. Unless you just destroy the GRE, your odds are not great.

Reactions: psych.meout

psych.meout

2+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hi everyone, I am applying to the clinical psychology program at Duquesne. It is a hail mary application more or less, but I thought I would ask.

Undergraduate major: Philosophy, Minor: Psychology (15 credit hours)
Cumulative gpa: 3.38/4.0; psychology gpa: 3.0; major gpa: 3.71
GRE: taking the real thing on Nov 14, but on the practice ETS test, I got a Verbal 158, and Quantitative: 151
Research experience: 2 semesters in an interdisciplinary, cognitive scientific AI lab doing qualitative research which led to two presentations and one professional conference (which had a publication in the proceedings)
Teaching experience: I was a teaching assistant and graded papers and assignments for an introduction to puzzles and paradoxes course
Publications: 3 publications, one in philosophy in an undergraduate journal; plus 2 essay prizes
Coursework: two courses in phenomenology and one in existentialism, all the usual intro psychology courses: human memory, social psych, child psych, etc. with an A+ in abnormal
Conferences: 3 professional conferences, one at a prestigious phenomenology conference at Duquesne with my philosophy advisor who also presented her paper
Letters of recommendation: on-point. I attended two professional conferences with and was the TA for one letter writer, and the other was my research adviser and had a publication with; the third letter writer I did an independent study with which led to a publication
Writing sample: it is on the phenomenology of loneliness and does a philosophical analysis of loneliness. it won me an essay prize and was presented at two conferences

Thanks!
I agree with WisNeuro, but I'd like to add that the odds of getting into any one particular program are very small. There are just too many other factors beyond your own credentials (e.g., who the other applicants are and what credentials they have, how competitive you are compared to these other applicants, how different faculty members review applications, which faculty are taking students in that cycle). That's why it's recommended for you to apply to at least 12 programs.

With your GPA, you should probably look into master's programs in something like experimental or clinical psychology. They would demonstrate that you can do graduate-level coursework and give you the opportunity for more research experience.

biscuitsbiscuits

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2015

Clinical Experience:

School psych doctoral student here. You look like a decent candidate for those programs. Write a phenomenal personal statement (ask trusted faculty to provide feedback, revise, revise again) and nail the interview and I think you have a chance. Also make sure you are aware of the cost of some of these programs up front. They're not cheap; some provide better funding than others. Any reason you're not considering Rutgers?

Oct 29, 2018
School psych doctoral student here. You look like a decent candidate for those programs. Write a phenomenal personal statement (ask trusted faculty to provide feedback, revise, revise again) and nail the interview and I think you have a chance. Also make sure you are aware of the cost of some of these programs up front. They're not cheap; some provide better funding than others. Any reason you're not considering Rutgers?
I decided that I wanted to pursue a PsyD instead of a Masters very late, so the Psych GRE deadlines passed. Rutgers requires it.

wtfook

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
I decided that I wanted to pursue a PsyD instead of a Masters very late, so the Psych GRE deadlines passed. Rutgers requires it.
There's also Baylor. They're also a funded PsyD program. Your stats are strong enough that you'd have a chance with PhD programs as well. Is there a reason why you're not applying to more of those? I believe St. John's is a clinical PhD Program so you do have one.

Oct 29, 2018
There's also Baylor. They're also a funded PsyD program. Your stats are strong enough that you'd have a chance with PhD programs as well. Is there a reason why you're not applying to more of those? I believe St. John's is a clinical PhD Program so you do have one.
Truthfully, I did not think I would get in. I am only in my first semester of research now, and although I am assisting with running subjects and data interpretation, I did not think that was enough. Currently, I am looking into applying to these PsyD programs and their corresponding doctoral fellowships and graduate assistantships in hopes of receiving free/reduced tuition and/or a stipend. They are mainly merit based, so I am attempting to increase by GRE score by a few points.

Also, I am most interested in the applied treatment of individuals with ASD, so I thought a PsyD with a practitioner-scholar model may be best. I really appreciate your advice, and I will expand my program search.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Also, I am most interested in the applied treatment of individuals with ASD, so I thought a PsyD with a practitioner-scholar model may be best. I really appreciate your advice, and I will expand my program search.
Or you could get an ABA certification. Save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and a few years. If the applied treatment is what you want to do on a day to day basis, that'd be the way to go. The people doing this in my large metro area are all masters level. There may be a doctoral level supervisor or two, but the majority of jobs are lower level.

Emilyw916

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m curious to see if I have a chance at clinical psych PhD programs this cycle. Please let me know your thoughts

GRE verbal: 161
GRE quant: 150 (I know...)
Undergrad gpa: 3.52 (though I took three additional post baccalaureate psych classes w/all As, so it’s technically a little higher)

Some relevant experiences:

Two publications (one second author, one third author), one publication under review.

Eight conference presentations (five first author, three second author)

Four years as an undergraduate research assistant
One year as a post - baccalaureate research assistant at an Ivy League university
One and a half years as a full time psych research coordinator at the VA
Summer experience working at a psychiatric hospital
Summer experience working in a hospital ER
Psi Chi membership
Trained in administering many diagnostic interviews

I have a bunch of other clinical exp, but I’m mainly interested in whether or not my research exp is enough to get me into a program. Thanks!

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I’m curious to see if I have a chance at clinical psych PhD programs this cycle. Please let me know your thoughts

GRE verbal: 161
GRE quant: 150 (I know...)
Undergrad gpa: 3.52 (though I took three additional post baccalaureate psych classes w/all As, so it’s technically a little higher)

Some relevant experiences:

Two publications (one second author, one third author), one publication under review.

Eight conference presentations (five first author, three second author)

I have a bunch of other clinical exp, but I’m mainly interested in whether or not my research exp is enough to get me into a program. Thanks!
That quant hurts, I'd say it depends on where those pubs and posters were accepted/presented.

Emilyw916

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
That quant hurts, I'd say it depends on where those pubs and posters were accepted/presented.
The conferences were primarily national conferences (ADAA, APSS, ABCT) and Ivy League resesrch conferences

The pubs were in the Journal of Affective Disorders and Journal of Social and Clincal Psychology.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
The conferences were primarily national conferences (ADAA, APSS, ABCT) and Ivy League resesrch conferences

The pubs were in the Journal of Affective Disorders and Journal of Social and Clincal Psychology.
The national conferences help, the ivy league conferences are the same as regional conferences and are less helpful. The pubs are good, those definitely buoy the chances.

Emilyw916

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The national conferences help, the ivy league conferences are the same as regional conferences and are less helpful. The pubs are good, those definitely buoy the chances.
Ok, fingers crossed! Thank you for your response

WindingRd

2+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Psychology
161V, 155Q, 4.5AW; 690Psych
4.0 MA Clinical Psych, but a program designed to be a psychotherapist (not for PhD apps)
3.1 BA @ PSU entirely unrelated major almost 20 years ago
1000+ hours clinical experience as pre-licensed psychotherapist
1.5 years as an RA intern at UCLA
1.5 years as a full-time Research Coord running a large study for a major school of medicine - not directly psych, but behavioral medicine
2 first author posters, 2 other pp, no pubs

Sharewithme

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2017
Hello,
I'm like to have anyone interested review my graduate school professional statements to Ph.D. counseling psychology programs. If fellow applicants are interested, thank you, and I can review yours, too. If current students or psychologists are interested, I sincerely appreciate it. Please let me know.

Best of Luck to Us,
Sharewithme

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hello,
I'm like to have anyone interested review my graduate school professional statements to Ph.D. counseling psychology programs. If fellow applicants are interested, thank you, and I can review yours, too. If current students or psychologists are interested, I sincerely appreciate it. Please let me know.

Best of Luck to Us,
Sharewithme
Reach out to professors and mentors you have. I'm not sure I can see a reason to think other applicants will know what folks on the other end want. From conversations here and during admissions, I promise many dont and those that do know because of mentors. Skip the middle player.

Nov 14, 2018
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of applications for clinical PhD programs now (forensic or trauma/ptsd focus), so this is more of a reality check than a should I go for it, but curious to hear what you'll think of my profile and school list. I have a bit of a nontraditional background so I know I'm already fighting a bit of an uphill battle.

Undergrad: 3.5 in engineering with honors from an Ivy
GRE: 166 V / 168 Q

Research: 4 years in college with 3 different labs. Was fortunate to develop my own research questions in all of them and really see the process through from ideation through to analysis. No direct psych work but focused on mathematical modelling and statistical analysis of qualitative data in ecology (first two years) and social choice/decision theory (last two years). I have a first author publication in a peer-reviewed journal, a paper presentation at an international mathematical modelling conference, and a third author pub. Hoping this will be my strength.

Work: no clinical experience, but a pretty eclectic set of work experiences (intern turned freelance author at a national magazine, quantitative analysis intern in the intelligence community, two years at a top hedge fund doing global macro research then running part of their recruiting strategy).

*Insert generic comment about great recs and personal statement here*

Schools I'm applying to: Washington, Colorado Springs, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, USUHS, Harvard, John Jay

I'm most worried about my lack of psych coursework (took two classes undergrad and did well, taking two online masters classes now, but clearly nowhere close to the academic background of a major, even if I've done significant reading on my own) and a mediocre GPA. While I know no one can say for certain what will strike a particular admissions committee, do you think I'd have a chance at some of my schools?

Sharewithme

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2017
Reach out to professors and mentors you have. I'm not sure I can see a reason to think other applicants will know what folks on the other end want. From conversations here and during admissions, I promise many dont and those that do know because of mentors. Skip the middle player.
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to post to see what your (in general and you specifically is nice, too) thoughts were.

psych.meout

2+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of applications for clinical PhD programs now (forensic or trauma/ptsd focus), so this is more of a reality check than a should I go for it, but curious to hear what you'll think of my profile and school list. I have a bit of a nontraditional background so I know I'm already fighting a bit of an uphill battle.

Undergrad: 3.5 in engineering with honors from an Ivy
GRE: 166 V / 168 Q

Research: 4 years in college with 3 different labs. Was fortunate to develop my own research questions in all of them and really see the process through from ideation through to analysis. No direct psych work but focused on mathematical modelling and statistical analysis of qualitative data in ecology (first two years) and social choice/decision theory (last two years). I have a first author publication in a peer-reviewed journal, a paper presentation at an international mathematical modelling conference, and a third author pub. Hoping this will be my strength.

Work: no clinical experience, but a pretty eclectic set of work experiences (intern turned freelance author at a national magazine, quantitative analysis intern in the intelligence community, two years at a top hedge fund doing global macro research then running part of their recruiting strategy).

*Insert generic comment about great recs and personal statement here*

Schools I'm applying to: Washington, Colorado Springs, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, USUHS, Harvard, John Jay

I'm most worried about my lack of psych coursework (took two classes undergrad and did well, taking two online masters classes now, but clearly nowhere close to the academic background of a major, even if I've done significant reading on my own) and a mediocre GPA. While I know no one can say for certain what will strike a particular admissions committee, do you think I'd have a chance at some of my schools?
You should look at the websites for those particular programs or even contact someone directly to see what psychology undergrad courses they require. Some will require specific courses (e.g., stats, research methods, intro, abnormal, social, developmental), while others will just require a certain minimum number of hours of psychology courses, while others still just strongly recommend certain courses or a minimum number of credit hours.

May 13, 2018
Hi! After months of going through this thread, I'm posting today hoping for some advice.

I am an undergrad in psychology from India and I am applying to PsyD and PhD courses (Clinical Psych) in USA. It would be great if you all could help me out by giving me a real assessment of my chances.

My GRE score is 327 (V: 164 Q:163 AW: 4.5)
My IELTS is 8.5
My GPA is 8.4 on a 10 point scale.

I have worked as a research assistant for a professor's research project on personality assessment, where i did tool construction, data collection, item analysis and factor analysis. I also will be writing a part of the paper.
I am interning at a centre for children with special needs (autism spectrum disorder, ADD, ADHD, developmental delays, physical handicaps etc).
My undergraduate thesis was on transgender population in my locality and the cultural aspect surrounding their gender identity in india and also the relationship of the stress they face with social stigma. This paper is currently under review at a journal.
I have worked in organisations like rotaract where I have held leadership posts.

I feel career wise, i want to ultimately work in private practice or maybe even a hospital setting.

I am aware that my clinical and research experience is not as vast as that of many others applying, but I am hoping that my grades and test scores can help offset that.

Any feedback and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 21, 2018
Brutally Honest (the more honest the harder I'm just gonna push myself :))
My Gpa is currently a 3.40, my gpa from summer and winter classes at a community colleges 3.71, for a combined gpa of 3.45 (distributed credit wise across all classes), and a 3.7 in just psychology classes.
I'm taking gap time to work in the field and study for the GRE's (I am pretty good at standardized testing and I will dedicate my life to crushing them).
I have a year of research experience at a Ivy league's brain imaging lab.
Two and a half years of experience at a CT public university's research lab.
A conference award from one of the studies.
3 letters of recommendation from doctors I interned for at the research facilities.
My adviser said I interview very well and that it's my strong point.
I have a handful of schools in mind all around the same level of difficulty,the goal is uconn, looking into Pittsburg as well as come other places. **Edit** for PhD
What are my odds? Any advice?
I plan to work in the field and volunteer in the field during my gap year and to apply for the 2020 school year.
I also am trying to get into Yale's science post-bacc program for the gap year but I'm going to have to see if I can swing that.
Thanks for even reading this, have a great day!

Last edited:

jdawg2017

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Psychology
Pretty okay stats I think. Being author on a peer-reviewed pub or two from research would be valuable for applying to PhDs. Are you applying to clinical psych or what area?

Nov 21, 2018
Pretty okay stats I think. Being author on a peer-reviewed pub or two from research would be valuable for applying to PhDs. Are you applying to clinical psych or what area?
I don't have any publications unfortunately, I might be able to get published in my university's journal but it isn't known. I am looking into neuroscience/psych PhD programs.

Nov 26, 2018
Status
Psychology Student
I'm a junior in college and these are my future credentials. I'm wondering if this will be enough to apply to psych Ph.D. programs.

My credentials:
3.9 GPA/4.02 Psych GPA
Dean's List
Psychology Major, 2 minors that I doubt matter
Haven't taken GRE, but I have high hopes. I'm studying right now with plans on taking in in May and then studying again for 6 months and then taking it again. So a year of study time should be ample time to get a really great score.

Awards:
Distinguished Scholar Award (only given to 1 or 2 people a year)
MARC U

Research Experience:
2 semesters of research (7 hours per week) (will have poster presentation SUNY Undergraduate Research Conference & will co-author publication)
8 - 10 week summer research program (will have an oral presentation at research conference)
Senior research project (oral presentation at college and possibly elsewhere, might be able to publish research)

Teaching Experience:
Learning Assitant for 3 courses: 1 lit course, Intro to Psych, Research Methods

Here are some Universities that conduct research that I'm interested in:
  1. Indiana University
  2. Northwestern University
  3. University of Minnesota
  4. Columbia University
  5. University of Texas at Austin
  6. University of Michigan
  7. University of Florida
I'm wondering if my plan will give me enough research experience to get admitted to these grads school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MamaPhD

Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status
Psychologist
I'm a junior in college and these are my future credentials. I'm wondering if this will be enough to apply to psych Ph.D. programs.

My credentials:
3.9 GPA/4.02 Psych GPA
Dean's List
Psychology Major, 2 minors that I doubt matter
Haven't taken GRE, but I have high hopes. I'm studying right now with plans on taking in in May and then studying again for 6 months and then taking it again. So a year of study time should be ample time to get a really great score.

Awards:
Distinguished Scholar Award (only given to 1 or 2 people a year)
MARC U

Research Experience:
2 semesters of research (7 hours per week) (will have poster presentation SUNY Undergraduate Research Conference & will co-author publication)
8 - 10 week summer research program (will have an oral presentation at research conference)
Senior research project (oral presentation at college and possibly elsewhere, might be able to publish research)

Teaching Experience:
Learning Assitant for 3 courses: 1 lit course, Intro to Psych, Research Methods

Here are some Universities that conduct research that I'm interested in:
  1. Indiana University
  2. Northwestern University
  3. University of Minnesota
  4. Columbia University
  5. University of Texas at Austin
  6. University of Michigan
  7. University of Florida
I'm wondering if my plan will give me enough research experience to get admitted to these grads school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
More research experience and/or products would be ideal. A publication or a presentation at a national conference would be nice to have on your CV. Local/regional conferences are fine but national-level presentations are viewed more favorably. However, I see no reason not to apply this fall, assuming you do well on the GRE and can secure strong letters of recommendation. Questions:

1. Would it be feasible in the meantime to submit an abstract to a national conference that people in your field regularly attend?
2. Does your mentor know anyone at these institutions, or elsewhere? If so, could they facilitate an introduction (eg, at a conference)?

Nov 13, 2017
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hello all - trying to start the very beginning of what is sure to be a long process leading up to applying to PhD programs next cycle, for (hopefully) Fall 2020 admission.

Right now I'm broadly looking at my interests, and trying to find probably 10-15 programs to apply to. I could use some advice/insight as to the types of programs I'm aiming to be qualified for. I'd obviously love to get into a fully funded program, but I'm not sure I have the qualifications. All of below is expectations at time of application 11 months from now:

24yo white male interest in PhD in Clinical, Child Clinical, or Counseling (if the research interests align)
Transfer student at a HYPSM, transferred from a community college
Psychology Major, AAS possessed in Mental Health and Social Work from community college

Community College GPA: 3.92
Community College Major GPA: 3.95 (A in stats)
Current School GPA: ~3.85
Current School Major GPA: ~3.95 (A+ in stats)

GRE: No idea, studying and taking it this upcoming summer

Research Experience: Two years in lab as RA in Fragile X and Autism study, and 1.5 years in lab studying longitudinal early life stress, both fairly typical RA experiences... Hoping to have published paper sent for review on Turner Syndrome in early 2019... Sophomore summer spent on independent research project at residential treatment facility implementing a psychosocial curriculum - moderately successful (had its ups and downs), but culminated in a poster presentation at university level... Junior summer expecting to expand upon this project, hoping to publish in an undergraduate research journal, and present at the same conference, plus maybe one more. Hoping to culminate summer work into honors thesis as well.

Clinical Experience: Prior to transfer, worked for year and a half at residential treatment facility as front line staff with youth in the child welfare (foster care) system. Many have DSM diagnoses. Worked sophomore summer with (masters level) therapist as intern, in addition to the project described above with those youth. I continue to work at this facility on school breaks.

Teaching Experience: Course Development Assistant for a freshman seminar with the same PI I'm hoping to publish with - got the course approved to satisfy an undergrad requirement. Applying to be a TA for the intro psych class next fall and winter.

Work Experience: I worked as a full time school bus driver (while attending school full time also) prior to transfer.

Volunteer Experience: I served on the executive board of my hometown's little league baseball organization for five years prior to transfer, and continue to work with them as a special advisor.

Extracurriculars: I am on the leadership team (VP-level) of three different student groups.

Recs: Preliminarily thinking is that one comes from the PI I am hoping to publish with (I also took a class with him my first quarter here), one from the advisor that I'll be completing both summer projects with, and one from the masters-level therapist I interned and worked clinically with. All three of those would be very good.

Research Interests: Broadly speaking - trauma informed care in youth, youth PTSD, early life stress, interventions aimed at improving life outlooks of traumatized youth.

Career Interests: Undecided to some degree, but I would enjoy some combination of both research and clinical application. Possibly in a children's hospital?

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

MamaPhD

Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status
Psychologist
Nice to see you planning ahead so far in advance. If you follow through on the research products you could certainly be competitive for fully funded programs.

Research Experience: Two years in lab as RA in Fragile X and Autism study, and 1.5 years in lab studying longitudinal early life stress, both fairly typical RA experiences... Hoping to have published paper sent for review on Turner Syndrome in early 2019... Sophomore summer spent on independent research project at residential treatment facility implementing a psychosocial curriculum - moderately successful (had its ups and downs), but culminated in a poster presentation at university level... Junior summer expecting to expand upon this project, hoping to publish in an undergraduate research journal, and present at the same conference, plus maybe one more. Hoping to culminate summer work into honors thesis as well.
Great! Invest more energy into this work. Try to aim for a national level conference presentation. Also, try to publish your work first in a "real" journal. A middling specialty peer reviewed journal will still be viewed more favorably than a HYPSM undergrad research journal. Just don't fall for predatory publishers.

Clinical Experience: Prior to transfer, worked for year and a half at residential treatment facility as front line staff with youth in the child welfare (foster care) system. Many have DSM diagnoses. Worked sophomore summer with (masters level) therapist as intern, in addition to the project described above with those youth. I continue to work at this facility on school breaks.
Work if you have to for financial reasons, but otherwise stop here. You're good. Clinical experience is not a major factor in admissions.

Teaching Experience: Course Development Assistant for a freshman seminar with the same PI I'm hoping to publish with - got the course approved to satisfy an undergrad requirement. Applying to be a TA for the intro psych class next fall and winter.
Same as above. This is great, but you can stop here and be just fine. Or just TA one semester. Unless you have to TA for the $, spend the time you save on your research.

Research Interests: Broadly speaking - trauma informed care in youth, youth PTSD, early life stress, interventions aimed at improving life outlooks of traumatized youth.
Start learning about out who you might work with in the field. Start talking with your PI, your lab supervisors, etc.

Career Interests: Undecided to some degree, but I would enjoy some combination of both research and clinical application. Possibly in a children's hospital?
Not something you need to decide right away, but start looking at the people who are leading the field and look at their career paths. Again, talk to your mentors.

TL;DR: RESEARCH! Keep up your grades up. Ace the GRE. Be an absolute pleasure to teach and work with, and get evidence of it in writing. Not much else matters from this point forward. You have only 24 hours in the day; other things can and should go on the back burner.

Reactions: mjr2013

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Psychologist
Hello all - trying to start the very beginning of what is sure to be a long process leading up to applying to PhD programs next cycle, for (hopefully) Fall 2020 admission.

Right now I'm broadly looking at my interests, and trying to find probably 10-15 programs to apply to. I could use some advice/insight as to the types of programs I'm aiming to be qualified for. I'd obviously love to get into a fully funded program, but I'm not sure I have the qualifications. All of below is expectations at time of application 11 months from now:

24yo white male interest in PhD in Clinical, Child Clinical, or Counseling (if the research interests align)
Transfer student at a HYPSM, transferred from a community college
Psychology Major, AAS possessed in Mental Health and Social Work from community college

Community College GPA: 3.92
Community College Major GPA: 3.95 (A in stats)
Current School GPA: ~3.85
Current School Major GPA: ~3.95 (A+ in stats)

GRE: No idea, studying and taking it this upcoming summer

Work Experience: I worked as a full time school bus driver (while attending school full time also) prior to transfer.

Volunteer Experience: I served on the executive board of my hometown's little league baseball organization for five years prior to transfer, and continue to work with them as a special advisor.

Extracurriculars: I am on the leadership team (VP-level) of three different student groups.

Recs: Preliminarily thinking is that one comes from the PI I am hoping to publish with (I also took a class with him my first quarter here), one from the advisor that I'll be completing both summer projects with, and one from the masters-level therapist I interned and worked clinically with. All three of those would be very good.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!
Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread