This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I forgot to put this on the initial post but I was in the middle of the wait list last year (between 7-14). I've considered getting a new job but it's unlikely I'll be able to change at this point. I've been offered a couple different jobs at one of the local animal clinics (the one I currently volunteer at) but there are a couple problems. 1) I wouldn't be able to take classes and I love being able to continue my education. I hated not being in school for the two semesters I wasn't enrolled after graduation. I cannot afford to take courses with the cost of tuition if I worked anywhere else. 2) I started at my job making $17 per hour but I'm currently making $20 per hour. This is with benefits and paid vacation (which continues accruing every year). The place I was offered a job would start me out at $8 per hour with no benefits but paid vacation that you have to use or lose every year. I've been checking with schools that I apply to to make sure that the credits I have won't expire. My eLORs are all people I've worked with on a regular basis that have always had good things to say about me. I can check with them to make sure but I don't think they would write anything bad. If they were going to, I don't even know what they would write about. I have worked at the animal hospital all through undergrad and then after graduation. The only bad interaction I can think of is with one professor who accused me of lying even after the person who complained about me realized she had gotten me and another girl mixed up due to a brain disability she had. But that happened 3-4 years ago and I got the interview last year, so I don't think that would be it. Thanks for the advise.
I think what @Jilary means is to continue investigating other career paths. Would you be happy at your current job for the next 5+ years? Could you see yourself having a career you are happy with with your current educational background?

I just find it very odd they offered you an interview last year but not this year. It looks like last year, they extended interview invites to nearly 2/3 of IS applicants. The applicant pool could be slightly larger or more competitive. Your stats are below their averages but not outside their range.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply anywhere else previously? I've heard that OSU can be very difficult to get into, even for instate people. Since you re-took courses, you may want to look into schools that do grade replacement. Also, after 6 application cycles, you should really start considering your plan B. You can't keep putting life on hold waiting for an acceptance. I'm not saying give up, but your plan B may help with an acceptance too.

The problem with my plan B is it is essentially kill time until plan A. I haven't found anything else that interests me like vet med. The only other things I can see myself doing, I can maybe see myself doing for a couple years. I don't see the point in going to school for another couple years full time to get a MS or PhD in something that I'll only do a couple years and then be bored. I'm one of the people that has wanted and been working towards the goal of becoming a vet since I was a young kid. I don't have anything else that I've worked toward for this long with the same or a similar amount of passion.

The first year I applied, I wasn't going to have my bachelors degree. I knew a lot of people that had to apply twice so I figured I'd apply, hopefully get in but figured I'd get my first application out of the way to get me in the following year. She told me to get my bachelors and retake the GRE (my scores were really low) so I did. My GRE scores didn't really improve much. I was scheduled to get my bachelors degree in spring 2014 (after only 3 years) but after not getting accepted for a second time, I extended that to take more courses for the next year. Then I was forced to graduate because I got denied financial aid in spring 2014. She told me to retake the GRE again so I did in 2015. I had a chance to really study for them that time so the scores doubled, one even almost tripled! When I met with her again, she told me that by the way all the vet experience I had gained didn't count so it looked to them like I only had 50 hours (even though I had 1500+ hours). I tried finding another vet clinic in Pullman to volunteer at but nowhere would get back to me. After working full time, I was able to take courses (for free) which I've taken advantage of. After graduating, I retook, ochem and microbiology and took physics II, ochem II, cell biology, neuroscience fundamentals and marine biology. I was also able to find a vet place that allows volunteers so I volunteer when they are open and I'm not working. Last year, in my interview, I asked them if there was anything they could think of that I should be doing to best prepare me for vet school and they said exactly what I'm doing. When I met with her about why I didn't get in, she said I wasn't doing enough.

Why would they think you only had 50 vet experience hours instead of 1500+???

Have you had anyone proof your application? Having a couple of people (not too many cause too many opinions can be worse than no input) look over your essays/short answer prompts can be very helpful. I'd recommend having someone who knows you well, someone who knows you from work, and someone who has gotten in vet school. Friends and family can give you a different perspective than a co-worker who relates to you on an entirely different level.

As others have mentioned, it might be a good idea to look at schools that consider grade replacement as opposed to averaging if the classes you've retaken will substantially raise your gpa.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would they think you only had 50 vet experience hours instead of 1500+???

Have you had anyone proof your application? Having a couple of people (not too many cause too many opinions can be worse than no input) look over your essays/short answer prompts can be very helpful. I'd recommend having someone who knows you well, someone who knows you from work, and someone who has gotten in vet school. Friends and family can give you a different perspective than a co-worker who relates to you on an entirely different level.

As others have mentioned, it might be a good idea to look at schools that consider grade replacement as opposed to averaging if the classes you've retaken will substantially raise your gpa.

Best of luck.
The reason they didn't count much of the experience was because the vast majority of it was either through a training program, at a speciality hospital (secondary care facility) or at the vet teaching hospital (tertiary care facility). I guess they wanted to see primary care facility experience (general practice) instead but they didn't tell me that until after my third application which was frustrating.

Also, I usually have an english graduate and at least one DVM and one vet student read over my essays every year. Two to make sure the information looks accurate and the other to make sure grammatical errors are found and corrected. Additionally, a couple family members usually read over it afterward.

I've only retook 3 courses. Two were initially taken at the same time, at the beginning of college when I took courses together that shouldn't be taken together before I was ready. The third class, I had an extenuating circumstance 3.5 years later while taking it. I explained both in the explanation statement. Since the initial one semester in fall 2012, I have vastly improved my grades while taking mostly science courses. Two of the classes I retook the grade I got replaced the bad grade but both are still on my transcript. The other one, ochem, I originally got a C in but wanted to take ochem 2 and thought I would be beneficial for me to retake the course since I had taken it 3 years earlier and hadn't done that great. The A I got didn't replace the C because it has to be a C- or lower for that to occur.

Two of the classes I retook the grade I got replaced the bad grade but both are still on my transcript. The other one, ochem, I originally got a C in but wanted to take ochem 2 and thought I would be beneficial for me to retake the course since I had taken it 3 years earlier and hadn't done that great. The A I got didn't replace the C because it has to be a C- or lower for that to occur.
Both still being on the transcript is why others are suggesting looking at vet schools who replace the grade with the higher(or second grade, depends on the school) one and don't calculate the other grade in at all.

Both still being on the transcript is why others are suggesting looking at vet schools who replace the grade with the higher(or second grade, depends on the school) one and don't calculate the other grade in at all.
Gotcha. Do you happen to know any of the schools that do the grade replacement?

Gotcha. Do you happen to know any of the schools that do the grade replacement?
Michigan state takes the higher grade (also only looks at last 36 gpa and prereq gpa, not cumulative)
I think Iowa state replaces the grade with the second (whether it's higher or lower than the first)
Those are the two I know of for sure.

Why did your vet clinic hours not count, did they explain why?

I think when whoever it was suggested a new job, they were thinking of something outside of vetmed so that you can have some non-animal-related things on your application. As asked above, do you have much work experience/volunteering that doesn't involve animals at this time? Going from working in the teaching hospital to working in a clinic is pretty much more-of-the same, especially when you could just keep volunteering there instead.
This is what I mean. I know it may be hard to change careers considering how much you've built up in salary and other benefits, but it may be what's missing. There are also probably jobs that offer more money and less hours allowing you to continue the other things. Definitely consider schools that do grade replacement and then schools that take alot of OSS such as Mizzou.

This is what I mean. I know it may be hard to change careers considering how much you've built up in salary and other benefits, but it may be what's missing. There are also probably jobs that offer more money and less hours allowing you to continue the other things. Definitely consider schools that do grade replacement and then schools that take alot of OSS such as Mizzou.
Thank you.

Hello, everyone!

As we’re in the midst of application decisions rolling out, I’m trying to better myself and ready myself for having to apply a second time. Applied to 6 schools (Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, CSU, Missouri and Minnesota) and have been rejected by UPenn? CSU and Missouri, this far. Waiting on the rest.

I’ll try to keep my stats/questions as abbreviated as possible, since I know this is a busy thread...

I am a non-traditional, 29 y/o female, NY state resident.
Major- Biomedical sciences
Minors- Biology, Psychology
Undergrad GPA is a 3.15. Last 45 hours is comparable to that.
Science GPA is 2.8ish, if I remember correctly
GRE V: 159, Q:153, W:5.5.

I have worked at a busy, three-doctor, small animal hospital full time for the past 6 years. Have some wildlife (hawks, opossums, snapping turtles, owls) and exotics (avian, pocket pets, reptiles) experience through this job, as well.

Also work with a house call vet for the past 3 years, one day a week.

Interned during undergrad with a small animal vet, an equine ambulatory vet and a 24/7 emergency hospital.

I’ve taken some classes post-grad to improve my GPA, as I know that is my weak point, but it has been difficult to work around a full time schedule. I’ve been very lucky to have thrived in my job as a veterinary assistant and have been given a great deal of responsibility via my workplace including assisting in surgery, training new employees, corresponding between our hospital and various laboratories/universities for sample testing, and helping develop hospital programs/procedures. It’s been an invaluable learning experience, has given me a wonderful support group and has reignited the fire I have for wanting to pursue veterinary school, which I had lost for some time during undergrad.

Basically, the stress of difficult courses, familial issues and anxiety/depression issues that I foolishly did not address soon enough caused my grades to suffer. Non-science classes were easy A’s, but orgo, physics, biochemistry, calculus and microbiology were all C’s. I retook Orgo 1 and got a B+, orgo 2 was a C again, but I don’t know that I want to retake that just yet. Retook calc and biochem and got A’s in both. Took animal nutrition to add to my application and got an A. Now, I want to redo physics and micro, at least.

It’s frustrating to retake courses to only see it minutely raise my GPA, since old grades factor in. And I don’t want to necessarily do grade replacement if it means it wipes out entire semesters of other prerequisites. I know schools will argue that taking a full time course load is best to reflect how I can manage, but financially I can’t swing that at this point in my life with loan payments, rent, insurance, etc.

SO! TL;DR - I’m looking into doing either vet tech courses or online courses in the meantime to improve my application. But I have some concerns...

1.) will vet tech courses improve my gpa or will they not count at all towards the VMCAS/vet school GPA calculations? If not, I’d hate to go further into debt before vet school. However, vet tech would allow my to progress in this field (which I’m so ready to learn more about) and earn more, too. Vet school is still my goal, but I’d hate it to be x years later, and I could have had a tech license and earned more in the meantime...

2.) Does anyone have any knowledge of how vet schools view online courses, especially for subjects like microbiology which have an online lab. I’m looking at UNE Online courses, at the moment and wondering how vet schools consider them, if at all...

If you are still reading this, I’m so, so sorry and thank you! Any insight would be much appreciated!

As we’re in the midst of application decisions rolling out, I’m trying to better myself and ready myself for having to apply a second time. Applied to 6 schools (Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, CSU, Missouri and Minnesota) and have been rejected by UPenn? CSU and Missouri, this far. Waiting on the rest.

I’ll try to keep my stats/questions as abbreviated as possible, since I know this is a busy thread...

Basically, the stress of difficult courses, familial issues and anxiety/depression issues that I foolishly did not address soon enough caused my grades to suffer. Non-science classes were easy A’s, but orgo, physics, biochemistry, calculus and microbiology were all C’s. I retook Orgo 1 and got a B+, orgo 2 was a C again, but I don’t know that I want to retake that just yet. Retook calc and biochem and got A’s in both. Took animal nutrition to add to my application and got an A. Now, I want to redo physics and micro, at least.

It’s frustrating to retake courses to only see it minutely raise my GPA, since old grades factor in. And I don’t want to necessarily do grade replacement if it means it wipes out entire semesters of other prerequisites. I know schools will argue that taking a full time course load is best to reflect how I can manage, but financially I can’t swing that at this point in my life with loan payments, rent, insurance, etc.
Some schools will use the higher grade and some will use the second grade (whether it's higher or lower) so I'd definitely recommend figuring out which schools do so you can apply smartly next cycle. Michigan state will take the highest, BUT both your science prereq and last 36 hour gpa must be above a 3.0 for them to look at you. I'm not sure what your science gpa is with any retakes used instead of averaging them. If it's above a 3.0, fabulous. If not, you could think about retaking some of the science prerequisites. Once you make it past the initial stage where they check to make sure you meet their minimum academic requirements, they no longer look at your grades and they don't factor into decisions.
Iowa state also doesn't average the two, but they use the second grade regardless of if its higher or lower than the first. I believe academics are still a big part of their admissions decisions though.

Hello, everyone!

I have worked at a busy, three-doctor, small animal hospital full time for the past 6 years. Have some wildlife (hawks, opossums, snapping turtles, owls) and exotics (avian, pocket pets, reptiles) experience through this job, as well.

Interned during undergrad with a small animal vet, an equine ambulatory vet and a 24/7 emergency hospital.

I’ve taken some classes post-grad to improve my GPA, as I know that is my weak point, but it has been difficult to work around a full time schedule. I’ve been very lucky to have thrived in my job as a veterinary assistant and have been given a great deal of responsibility via my workplace including assisting in surgery, training new employees, corresponding between our hospital and various laboratories/universities for sample testing, and helping develop hospital programs/procedures. It’s been an invaluable learning experience, has given me a wonderful support group and has reignited the fire I have for wanting to pursue veterinary school, which I had lost for some time during undergrad.

SO! TL;DR - I’m looking into doing either vet tech courses or online courses in the meantime to improve my application. But I have some concerns...

1.) will vet tech courses improve my gpa or will they not count at all towards the VMCAS/vet school GPA calculations? If not, I’d hate to go further into debt before vet school. However, vet tech would allow my to progress in this field (which I’m so ready to learn more about) and earn more, too. Vet school is still my goal, but I’d hate it to be x years later, and I could have had a tech license and earned more in the meantime...

2.) Does anyone have any knowledge of how vet schools view online courses, especially for subjects like microbiology which have an online lab. I’m looking at UNE Online courses, at the moment and wondering how vet schools consider them, if at all...

If you are still reading this, I’m so, so sorry and thank you! Any insight would be much appreciated!

With your current science GPA, you need to retake science courses and start looking at schools that replace the grade (I don't know them off the top of my head, you should be able to do a search here and/or contact individual schools and ask about their policy if it isn't online). All the GPAs are important for different reasons, but the fact of the matter is that your science GPA will hurt you because schools need to know you can handle the rigor. Many schools will take online classes, again it's just dependent on the school. (As an example I want to say Ohio State does, but you also can't have more than one C in their core prerequisites...).

I'm of the opinion that tech classes are a pretty bad way to spend ones money if you want to go to vet school. If you want to be a tech, sure but vet schools ultimately aren't going to look at an A in a tech class the same way they are going to look at A's in their upper level science prerequisites.

None of this is meant to discourage you. I'm of the belief that if you want something, you can find a way to make it happen, but your current grades are going to make it more difficult when the average applicant had grades in the 3.6 range. Grade replacement could definitely help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, everyone!

If you can get your cumulative GPA up to a 3.2 with upper-level science courses and, if possible, your GREs into the 60-74 percentiles, you may have a shot at Washington State. They have 3 tiers of admissions considerations - you can move yourself into the middle tier (where they specifically mention taking workload and familial obligations into consideration) by having your cumulative GPA & GREs in that range. I have a pretty similar story to yours (lots of awesome experience, difficulty in my science classes at UPenn's post-bacc, current science GPA is around a 2.8), but my undergrad GPA in non-sciences is actually doing a lot of work for me (graduated with a 3.4). I haven't applied yet, so I don't know exactly how works out in percentage of people offered interviews or admissions, but I'm desperately praying I'll be able to get a review from them based on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, everyone!

I'm not sure I can offer any advice that has not already been given. I would consider how many out of state seats are available for the places your applying and what their average stats are every year. From what I've heard, Cornell is one of the hardest vet schools to get into unless you have both outstanding GRE scores and spectacular GPA. Also, I will be responding to EB73674 about Washington State University if your interested in reading that post.

I haven't looked into tech programs myself but one thing I've heard from other techs is once you start a program you are expected to complete it. They don't want people to apply just because they want to go to vet school. They want people who will be techs since theres always a shortage of them. Again, these are things that I've heard over my years applying for vet school.
Additionally, contact the schools you got rejections from and do an application review from them. You may or may not find their advice useful but at least you'll maybe have some other ideas. Contact the vet schools you want to apply to next year or VMCAS to see how they consider tech school grades or online science courses.

Not sure if any of this helps but good luck.

If you can get your cumulative GPA up to a 3.2 with upper-level science courses and, if possible, your GREs into the 60-74 percentiles, you may have a shot at Washington State. They have 3 tiers of admissions considerations - you can move yourself into the middle tier (where they specifically mention taking workload and familial obligations into consideration) by having your cumulative GPA & GREs in that range. I have a pretty similar story to yours (lots of awesome experience, difficulty in my science classes at UPenn's post-bacc, current science GPA is around a 2.8), but my undergrad GPA in non-sciences is actually doing a lot of work for me (graduated with a 3.4). I haven't applied yet, so I don't know exactly how works out in percentage of people offered interviews or admissions, but I'm desperately praying I'll be able to get a review from them based on that.

I'm not sure what your stats are but for WSU, I can tell you that from my own experience, a 3.2 GPA is not likely to get you into the CVM. I've been in the upper part of the Tier 2 for the last couple years as an in state student. I received an interview and wait list last year and no interview this year. I know from personal experience that WSU often says that they look at an individual as a whole but they don't, considering the very first thing they do is separate you into the tiers. If you'd like to know anything about the WSU vet school, let me know. I went through undergrad at WSU pullman and am currently living in pullman and working at the veterinary teaching hospital. I know a ridiculous amount about their program and would be happy to answer any questions.

I'm not sure what your stats are but for WSU, I can tell you that from my own experience, a 3.2 GPA is not likely to get you into the CVM. I've been in the upper part of the Tier 2 for the last couple years as an in state student. I received an interview and wait list last year and no interview this year. I know from personal experience that WSU often says that they look at an individual as a whole but they don't, considering the very first thing they do is separate you into the tiers. If you'd like to know anything about the WSU vet school, let me know. I went through undergrad at WSU pullman and am currently living in pullman and working at the veterinary teaching hospital. I know a ridiculous amount about their program and would be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks RocketMa, good to know - I had assumed it would be hard to get an admission from Tier II (since I'm assuming even people from Tier I get rejected), but I figured that someone with the more "non-trad with lots of experience and spotty academics" might have a shot with a school that supposedly emphasizes a more holistic approach to candidates. Good to know where to place my standards, but certainly not going to give up if I can help it! :(

Thanks RocketMa, good to know - I had assumed it would be hard to get an admission from Tier II (since I'm assuming even people from Tier I get rejected), but I figured that someone with the more "non-trad with lots of experience and spotty academics" might have a shot with a school that supposedly emphasizes a more holistic approach to candidates. Good to know where to place my standards, but certainly not going to give up if I can help it! :(
Definitely don't give up! Push toward your dream. I just thought you'd like the heads up. Also, with WSU, they don't have as many seats for out of state. They have agreements with Idaho, Montana and Utah to accept a certain amount of their students because they don't have a vet school (Utah has one but the students only do two years there and then come up to WSU for the last two years). From my own experience, I had one bad semester that I had a very good reason why I didn't do very well. However, when I spoke to admissions about why I didn't get in a couple years ago, they said the people I was competing with didn't have extenuating circumstances and did well in the course so that could've been a big reason as to why I didn't get in. Hope this helps and don't give up!

Hello, everyone!

Also, I would recommend looking into Midwestern and Western. They are two vet schools that do seem to look over an individual as a whole. And, if you get an interview to midwestern, the interview board only gets to see your essay and experiences. They aren't give GRE scores or your grades because they don't want you to be judged before you get in the room. I don't know much about Western but I learned a lot about them when I went for an interview a couple months ago.

Also, I would recommend looking into Midwestern and Western. They are two vet schools that do seem to look over an individual as a whole. And, if you get an interview to midwestern, the interview board only gets to see your essay and experiences. They aren't give GRE scores or your grades because they don't want you to be judged before you get in the room. I don't know much about Western but I learned a lot about them when I went for an interview a couple months ago.

Also very good to know - and seriously, I really appreciate the heads-up and feedback. Managing expectations really is good, and it's great to know the OOS statistics. I'm sadly stuck with no IS school and no contracted seats with other state schools (yay for being a born-and-bred Jersey girl?), so I'm going to be OOS anywhere. Always good to know which schools will do more for OOS students & which really, definitively take a holistic approach. Thanks for the advice!

Be sure and look at the price tag attached to both of these schools as well, however. They rank among the most expensive as they do not offer instate tuition. I cannot express enough that taking on the debt is serious business that is not to be taken lightly.

Reactions: 5 users
Also very good to know - and seriously, I really appreciate the heads-up and feedback. Managing expectations really is good, and it's great to know the OOS statistics. I'm sadly stuck with no IS school and no contracted seats with other state schools (yay for being a born-and-bred Jersey girl?), so I'm going to be OOS anywhere. Always good to know which schools will do more for OOS students & which really, definitively take a holistic approach. Thanks for the advice!

From my experience, LMU looks at the whole applicant and their OOS price was much lower than many other schools. Also check out the AVMA accredited schools abroad. Some of them are similar price to US schools OOS (even when you account for moving/ living expenses), and they look at the applicant as a whole. If you are willing to relocate try looking into schools that take a more holistic approach to their applicants.

Be sure and look at the price tag attached to both of these schools as well, however. They rank among the most expensive as they do not offer instate tuition. I cannot express enough that taking on the debt is serious business that is not to be taken lightly.

Definitely appreciate the advice Lupin21 - I don't take it at all lightly. I'm looking for the best possible deal I can get, as far as where I end up going. Unfortunately, with my stats being what they are and will be by the time I apply this summer (30 years old, low GPA, no in-state school or contract seats, no research experience), I don't think I'm going to get to be choosy based on price tag wherever I go. I'll be lucky to get into vet school, period. And I'm really not getting any younger - a year makes a difference to me if I don't have to take it, just to try and apply elsewhere for a better deal that I might not even get. But WSU is high on my list this year for its re-classification policy for students to declare residency while in school to get in-state tuition, and I'm looking into other schools that do similar.

"From my experience, LMU looks at the whole applicant and their OOS price was much lower than many other schools. Also check out the AVMA accredited schools abroad. Some of them are similar price to US schools OOS (even when you account for moving/ living expenses), and they look at the applicant as a whole. If you are willing to relocate try looking into schools that take a more holistic approach to their applicants."

Thanks LabLuv004! Great to know about LMU - they're on my list for next cycle if 2018 doesn't work out! Question about the schools abroad though - I know the Caribbean schools have a lower average admitted GPA, but from what I've seen most European and Australian schools have a 3.4 GPA cutoff. How strict is that, if you know? I know when I was looking into grad school programs in the UK (a few years ago for political economy) that they were a hard 3.5 cutoff, and I would assume vet schools would be the same.

Definitely appreciate the advice Lupin21 - I don't take it at all lightly. I'm looking for the best possible deal I can get, as far as where I end up going. Unfortunately, with my stats being what they are and will be by the time I apply this summer (30 years old, low GPA, no in-state school or contract seats, no research experience), I don't think I'm going to get to be choosy based on price tag wherever I go. I'll be lucky to get into vet school, period. And I'm really not getting any younger - a year makes a difference to me if I don't have to take it, just to try and apply elsewhere for a better deal that I might not even get. But WSU is high on my list this year for its re-classification policy for students to declare residency while in school to get in-state tuition, and I'm looking into other schools that do similar.

"From my experience, LMU looks at the whole applicant and their OOS price was much lower than many other schools. Also check out the AVMA accredited schools abroad. Some of them are similar price to US schools OOS (even when you account for moving/ living expenses), and they look at the applicant as a whole. If you are willing to relocate try looking into schools that take a more holistic approach to their applicants."

Thanks LabLuv004! Great to know about LMU - they're on my list for next cycle if 2018 doesn't work out! Question about the schools abroad though - I know the Caribbean schools have a lower average admitted GPA, but from what I've seen most European and Australian schools have a 3.4 GPA cutoff. How strict is that, if you know? I know when I was looking into grad school programs in the UK (a few years ago for political economy) that they were a hard 3.5 cutoff, and I would assume vet schools would be the same.

They say they look for a 3.4 but they also look at every application as a whole. The interesting thing about their application is you are considered for the 4 year program first and the 5 year if you don't make it into the 4 year. Even with a lower GPA they consider everyone from the US for the 4 year first.
The 5 year course isn't not something to take lightly because it's a whole extra year of tuition, plus the opportunity cost of not working an extra year, but it's an option if it's offered. Tuition-wise I don't think it is more than Midwestern even for the 5 year course.
I would also go through the accepted students thread from c/o 2021 and see where people with similar stats to yours were accepted and wait listed. Then you can get an idea what schools look less on GPA and more on the whole application.

I understand. Honestly, you really should consider trying to gain residency in a state where you feel you have a better chance at admission. Taking that extra year is a drop in the bucket for the amount of money you will save. I am also a non traditional, and I took that year to gain residency and was able to make it in state and do not regret it in the least. I will graduate at the age of 36 and am thankful I played the game smart. We have even less time than our younger colleagues to attempt to pay it off and actually enjoy being debt free, so I feel it is important to not just throw it to the wind because you just want to get in anywhere.

I realize this is your dream and you just want to be there already, but if you can take a moment longer and play your cards right, you can really save yourself a lot of money. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi y'all, I'm new to these forums so bear with me.

I graduated with a 2.7 about 2 years ago, after recognizing that I was mentally just not where I needed to be to do well in school and basically cutting and running with horrendous grades in the prerecs that I'd taken and a poli sci degree instead of the B.S. in neuroscience that I was working on.

My poor performance wasn't for medical reasons, or anything else that might help me -- it was immaturity followed by burnout which I'm willing to admit to if it helps me make my case that I've pulled it together.

I've now started taking my prerecs from scratch at a local state college as a visiting student after working for a year and getting my head straight. I'm about halfway through the prerecs for my in state school, LSU, and have a 4.0 this time around. I'm taking full-time hours during fall and spring, and classes that I anticipate struggling in on their own during the summer.

How will schools handle looking at these differing GPAs? What can I do to help my case?

I graduated with a 2.7 about 2 years ago, after recognizing that I was mentally just not where I needed to be to do well in school and basically cutting and running with horrendous grades in the prerecs that I'd taken and a poli sci degree instead of the B.S. in neuroscience that I was working on.

My poor performance wasn't for medical reasons, or anything else that might help me -- it was immaturity followed by burnout which I'm willing to admit to if it helps me make my case that I've pulled it together.

I've now started taking my prerecs from scratch at a local state college as a visiting student after working for a year and getting my head straight. I'm about halfway through the prerecs for my in state school, LSU, and have a 4.0 this time around. I'm taking full-time hours during fall and spring, and classes that I anticipate struggling in on their own during the summer.

How will schools handle looking at these differing GPAs? What can I do to help my case?
If you last 45 credit GPA is strong, that could be your saving grace, as some schools emphasize or sometimes only look at just that. If your pre-reqs are strong, then that is another GPA that some schools highly favor. Take some time to filter through some of the school webistes, as they will outline what they look at there.

Applying smartly, as well as rounding out your application as much as possible, will help your case. Have you shadowed a vet yet? Vet and animal experience (especially diverse experience with as many species as possible), can help a ton. Strong letter of recommendation (at least one of these needs to be a vet), good essay writing, great extracurricular/leadership experience, good interviewing skills, and knocking the GRE out of the park will also help your application.

I believe @LetItSnow had somewhat similar a background. You are doing great now in the required science courses, so that will be looked upon favorably by most schools. As long as you get some quality over quantity veterinary experience hours, you are absolutely on the right track.

If you last 45 credit GPA is strong, that could be your saving grace, as some schools emphasize or sometimes only look at just that. If your pre-reqs are strong, then that is another GPA that some schools highly favor. Take some time to filter through some of the school webistes, as they will outline what they look at there.

Applying smartly, as well as rounding out your application as much as possible, will help your case. Have you shadowed a vet yet? Vet and animal experience (especially diverse experience with as many species as possible), can help a ton. Strong letter of recommendation (at least one of these needs to be a vet), good essay writing, great extracurricular/leadership experience, good interviewing skills, and knocking the GRE out of the park will also help your application.
Are you following me or am I following you? Damn our forever linked brains! haha :biglove:

Are you following me or am I following you? Damn our forever linked brains! haha :biglove:
tenor.gif

Hello fellow pre-vetters!

With the application cycle approaching in 5 months I would like to get some advice on which schools to send my application to with realistic goals of getting into at least one U.S state school. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I know that applicant pools change every year, but I am trying to gauge where I stand.

I have two more quarters left in undergrad, and I still have to take the GRE, planning on it within the next three months.

Overall GPA 3.30 (I know it's low but freshman and sophomore year were spent focusing on my mental health after the death of my father, grades have gone up a lot since then, and I have been on the Dean's list for the past 5 or 6 quarters.)

Science GPA 3.1

Research hours: 100 (organic chemistry research assistant and biology research assistant)
Vet Clinic hours: greater than 1000 (one small animal and exotic clinic, ER department of corporate clinic, and currently employed at an animal rehab clinic)
Animal Experience hours: greater than 1000
Volunteering: Shedd Aquarium, summer mentors program through Americorps, 2nd Hand Ranch and Rescue, and more.

Expected LOR:
Organic chemistry professor
Vet from 1st vet clinic
Supervisor from Integrative pet care

My goals are to enter the animal rehab field, planning on applying to U of Illinois (in-state school), Michigan, Tennessee, Lincoln Memorial, Florida, Midwestern (if accreditation is granted this summer), Western University of Health Science, Oregon, Washington, and Purdue.

Please let me know if there are any I should add/remove from my list; any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you all and best of luck to everyone applying this year.

Last edited:
Have you looked through any of the successful applicant threads? There is usually a thread posted at the end of each application cycle where people share their stats and experiences and which schools they applied to / interviewed at / were accepted or rejected by. That may be helpful for you - you can look for people who were admitted to schools you are interested in and see how you compare. :)

Your GRE scores and last 45 GPA will be useful. I know you haven't taken the GRE yet, but do you have an idea what your last 45 GPA credits will be?

With the application cycle approaching in 5 months I would like to get some advice on which schools to send my application to with realistic goals of getting into at least one U.S state school. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I know that applicant pools change every year, but I am trying to gauge where I stand.

I have two more quarters left in undergrad, and I still have to take the GRE, planning on it within the next three months.

Overall GPA 3.30 (I know it's low but freshman and sophomore year were spent focusing on my mental health after the death of my father, grades have gone up a lot since then, and I have been on the Dean's list for the past 5 or 6 quarters.)

Science GPA 3.1

Research hours: 100 (organic chemistry research assistant and biology research assistant)
Vet Clinic hours: greater than 1000 (one small animal and exotic clinic, ER department of corporate clinic, and currently employed at an animal rehab clinic)
Volunteering: Shedd Aquarium, summer mentors program through Americorps, 2nd Hand Ranch and Rescue, and more.

Expected LOR:
Vet from 1st vet clinic

My goals are to enter the animal rehab field, planning on applying to U of Illinois (in-state school), Michigan, Tennessee, Lincoln Memorial, Florida, Midwestern (if accreditation is granted this summer), Western University of Health Science, Oregon, Washington, and Purdue.

Please let me know if there are any I should add/remove from my list; any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you all and best of luck to everyone applying this year.
I know that Oregon State and WSU are extremely competitive for OOS applicants and I'm not sure I have seen people accepted with your GPA, but I could be wrong. What is your last 45 GPA?

Science GPA 3.1

Expected LOR:
Vet from 1st vet clinic

I am a second time applicant, but I will tell you a few things to give you hope. I was thankful to have gotten offered two interviews my first cycle - one at Auburn (IS) and one at Illinois (OOS). I applied to nine schools and was offered two interviews - with my stats I was ecstatic. However, I blew my chances because I failed to prep for the interview. My first cycle, I was still finishing my undergrad degree and it was midterm time during interview "season," so I did not prepare myself well for the interview. This time around, I strategically applied to 4 schools, and so far have interview an interview at Purdue (OOS) and am expecting one at Auburn (IS), waiting for the others. You need to apply to schools that value experience and the individual more than the numbers and if you get an interview - prep, prep, PREP!

GPA 3.2

Science GPA 3.3

Last 45 GPA 3.34

GRE 154, 154, 6.0 (maybe I should have been a persuasive writer, lol)

Experience:
2100 hours small animal clinic as a vet tech (2 years full time)
700 hours small animal ER hospital vet tech (current full time position)
60 hours shadowing equine vet
100 hours shelter experience volunteering

LORs:
small animal vet I worked with for 2 years
small animal ER vet I worked with for 6 months
animal behavior professor
microbiology professor

I am a second time applicant, but I will tell you a few things to give you hope. I was thankful to have gotten offered two interviews my first cycle - one at Auburn (IS) and one at Illinois (OOS). I applied to nine schools and was offered two interviews - with my stats I was ecstatic. However, I blew my chances because I failed to prep for the interview. My first cycle, I was still finishing my undergrad degree and it was midterm time during interview "season," so I did not prepare myself well for the interview. This time around, I strategically applied to 4 schools, and so far have interview an interview at Purdue (OOS) and am expecting one at Auburn (IS), waiting for the others. You need to apply to schools that value experience and the individual more than the numbers and if you get an interview - prep, prep, PREP!

GPA 3.2

Science GPA 3.3

Last 45 GPA 3.34

GRE 154, 154, 6.0 (maybe I should have been a persuasive writer, lol)

Experience:
2100 hours small animal clinic as a vet tech (2 years full time)
700 hours small animal ER hospital vet tech (current full time position)
60 hours shadowing equine vet
100 hours shelter experience volunteering

LORs:
small animal vet I worked with for 2 years
small animal ER vet I worked with for 6 months
animal behavior professor
microbiology professor
Maybe I'm just being nit-picky but I would be careful about saying this. Schools have hundreds of applicants to review. Just because a school discounts students because of GPA doesn't mean they don't value the entire applicant. There are a lot of people out there with subpar GPAs and tons of experience and most of the advice I have heard, and would echo, would be to put experience on the back burner if it negatively effects your GPA. You can always get more experience but you often can't salvage your GPA. Grades are forever. Obviously if people are far along in their schooling and have lower GPAs then they could try to make up with it using experience or high GRE scores.

Also, are you wanting advice on your odds of getting in? That's the point of this thread but I don't really see you asking for advice. There are a couple other threads you may be interested in looking at, the interview thread and the accepted students one.

Hi everyone! So I am currently a Junior (undergrad) Biology major with a Microbiology concentration so I will be taking about 20 credits of microbiology courses with a lot of them being upper level electives like immunology, med micro etc. My cumulative GPA is lower than my science gpa, standing at a 2.835 right now due to some poor grades in sociology and philosophy freshman year, I plan on retaking sociology to hopefully bring up my GPA. In regards to my science GPA, it is a 3.037. "Pre Vet" is 2.88 right now. I have always done well in Biology B-A in all of my classes but when it comes to the cognate math, physics, and chemistry courses I have gotten a few Cs. I have gotten a C+ in calc, a C in the second semester of inorganic chem and I just received a C in the first semester of organic. I am super motivated and know I would like to be a veterinarian so I want to do everything to make this happen. I am going to work for a veterinarians office while at school and over the summer, I am a part of an undergrad research lab, I am a TA, I am joining the Pre-Vet society, I am also a member of AMSA. Its pretty disheartening because I am not sure if I'll be able to bring up my GPA enough to be competitive for veterinary school...I am looking into possibly doing a postbac program but haven't really been able to find any that would make acceptance into vet school more realistic. I am also open to retaking classes esp. organic 1 depending how organic 2 goes. I am planning on taking Physics over the summer either at my institution or community college. I work extremely hard and feel like I know all of the info but have a tendency to test poorly. I am stressed and upset about my GPA almost all of the time.

Is there any advice someone has about academics? Post bacc programs? Schools to apply to that could give me hope?

I am also looking into DVM programs abroad, not really concerned about the school I go to just that I get in and can become successful.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! So I am currently a Junior (undergrad) Biology major with a Microbiology concentration so I will be taking about 20 credits of microbiology courses with a lot of them being upper level electives like immunology, med micro etc. My cumulative GPA is lower than my science gpa, standing at a 2.835 right now due to some poor grades in sociology and philosophy freshman year, I plan on retaking sociology to hopefully bring up my GPA. In regards to my science GPA, it is a 3.037. I have always done well in Biology B-A in all of my classes but when it comes to the cognate math, physics, and chemistry courses I have gotten a few Cs. I have gotten a C+ in calc, a C in the second semester of inorganic chem and I just received a C in the first semester of organic. I am super motivated and know I would like to be a veterinarian so I want to do everything to make this happen. I am going to work for a veterinarians office while at school and over the summer, I am a part of an undergrad research lab, I am a TA, I am joining the Pre-Vet society, I am also a member of AMSA. Its pretty disheartening because I am not sure if I'll be able to bring up my GPA enough to be competitive for veterinary school...I am looking into possibly doing a postbac program but haven't really been able to find any that would make acceptance into vet school more realistic. I am also open to retaking classes esp. organic 1 depending how organic 2 goes. so is there any advice someone has about academics? I am an average student, bad at math and I am planning on taking Physics over the summer either at my institution or community college. I am also looking into DVM programs abroad, not really concerned about the school I go to just that I get in and can become successful.

I wouldn't advise retaking sociology unless you're specifically interested in a school that you know will use only the second attempt in calculation of your cumulative GPA. It's likely that a retake of a non-prerequisite class just isn't worth the time and money if they're still going to use both grades in the calculation.

You mention that you had some poor grades during freshman year. How is your last 3 semester GPA?

You also mention that you are going to work for a veterinarian's office, but what experience do you have so far? When are you hoping to apply?

I wouldn't advise retaking sociology unless you're specifically interested in a school that you know will use only the second attempt in calculation of your cumulative GPA. It's likely that a retake of a non-prerequisite class just isn't worth the time and money if they're still going to use both grades in the calculation.

You mention that you had some poor grades during freshman year. How is your last 3 semester GPA?

You also mention that you are going to work for a veterinarian's office, but what experience do you have so far? When are you hoping to apply?

Thank you so much for the advice! That is a great point, I was thinking that retaking the class would help for applying to grad programs if needed but I would not want to waste the money if it wouldn't even be considered!

My last semester GPA was only a 2.818 I received a C in orgo1 and the rest of my bio classes were only Bs.
I have no vet experience yet and will be starting this semester, since I spent time shadowing in a medical setting before I realized that was not what I wanted to do at all. I am hoping to apply after my senior year depending on how my GPA is; if it is not strong enough then I would probably do an extra year but ideally I would like to do a post baccalaureate program if that is the case

If you can rock the GRE, too, then that will be a further feather in your cap although apparently some schools now aren't considering GRE scores at all? I applied 3 years ago, so I don't know the full details on that treand and/or whether the schools that you're looking at are any of those.
Michigan State, Purdue, and VAMD are the three that come to mind that don’t require (possibly don’t even look at?) the GRE anymore.
I know that Davis puts a heavy weight on the quantitative GRE score, but don’t know much about how the others do it.

Michigan State, Purdue, and VAMD are the three that come to mind that don’t require (possibly don’t even look at?) the GRE anymore.
I know that Davis puts a heavy weight on the quantitative GRE score, but don’t know much about how the others do it.
Penn also likes (or at least they used to like) a relatively high quant score.

Do I need to get my bachelors before going in the vet tech track? I’ve heard people doing vet tech then later doing vet school. Or can I get my vet tech degree while getting my bachelors? I know I have the potential for good grades. My first college I had a 3.8 gpa and I transferred to start the pre-vet track and I just had a horrible time my first few semesters and my gpa suffered. I’ve been interested in animal therapy like a therapist for animals but doesn’t that require vet school?

I am currently a Therapy Assistant at a SA clinic in Southern California. Animal rehabilitation is a growing community. Not a lot of vets know a lot about it as well as clients. This is where I have accumulated almost 2,000 hours for my experience. I get to shadow and assist the vets with diagnosing and making treatments, assist in acupuncture, doing basic wound care (a lot of them get REALLY BAD bed sores), giving homeopathic subcutaneous injections, but I also get to do the hands on therapy on my own. There are PT’s that have their masters in physical therapy but also got “canine rehab certified” through a program. This place sparked by my interest in holistic veterinary medicine and rehabilitation. I LOVE my job so much and would LOVE to put myself in the vets shoes. However, if you don’t end up doing the vet thing, all the PT’s still get do a lot of the therapy that the vets can do. You just don’t get to diagnose.

I too, have an incredibly low GPA (2.85) and hope to get it to a 2.9 by the time I apply this fall. I am applying smart by applying to schools that will at least look at my application. So far I have Ross U, Saint George, University of Sydney, and Midwestern U. I am hoping for the best! I am also nervous about not getting accepted though but I’m not giving up! If you have any questions about animal rehabilitation, I would be more than happy to help you out :)

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a Junior and plan on applying for the 2018/'19 cycle. I have completed all of my prerequisites for the schools that I'm interested in. However, I do not have biochemistry completed. Although some of the websites say that the applicant can have up to 12 credits in progress, does anyone think this can have a negative effect on my application being that it's an upper level course? The next time my university will offer this course is Fall 2018, which is when I had planed on taking it. Any input would be helpful!

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a Junior and plan on applying for the 2018/'19 cycle. I have completed all of my prerequisites for the schools that I'm interested in. However, I do not have biochemistry completed. Although some of the websites say that the applicant can have up to 12 credits in progress, does anyone think this can have a negative effect on my application being that it's an upper level course? The next time my university will offer this course is Fall 2018, which is when I had planed on taking it. Any input would be helpful!
I just was accepted to MSU and had 3 classes outstanding. 2 I took this fall, biochemistry I am taking this spring before matriculation in August. They did not seem to mind that these were outstanding, though if I were to fail or not complete biochem, obviously I wouldn't have time to retake and would lose my spot.

Hi everyone!

I had biochem, microbio, both physics, and genetics not done. I did all but physics 2 this fall. Out of 4 applications I’ve gotten 3 interviews and a waitlist. I wouldn’t want to have any more to do but I don’t see an issue with having one pre-req to go at all, especially if your grades are strong.

Hey all - I'm hoping to get some advice about my application. This is my second cycle applying and I'm not getting anywhere...again. No waitlists, nothing...
(If this is in the wrong spot - sorry! I didn't want to make a separate thread just for this question.)
I don't feel as though my stats are really bad...obviously, they could be better. I was working and taking care of family through undergrad and I think that did affect my GPA a little. I would LOVE to pursue the most effective path towards improving my stats, if possible. I think that increasing my science or last 45 GPA would help a lot. I have too many units to really affect my overall GPA. Would an MS in Veterinary Forensic Science or RVT credentials through Penn Foster help? I could finish those in the next year and have most of the schooling completed before the next cycle is completed.
I'm looking for admission to Cornell, UC Davis, Tufts, Midwestern if possible.

Here are my stats:

AAS in Liberal Arts, 2010
AAS in Biology, 2013
BS in Biochemistry, 2015

GRE: 157V/151Q/4.0AW

GPA (per VMCAS): 3.50
SciGPA: 3.30
last 45: 3.00

Vet Experience:

• Lead assistant, inventory manager, surgical assistant, and more - appoximately 55,000 hours
    • The math on that - 14 years x 10-14 hours a day x 4-6 days a week, almost no vacation during this time between 3 hospitals
    • I've worked in clinical, hospital, ranch and ER environments
    • I have experience with exotics, cats, dogs and horses
Animal Experience:
  • Horse care / riding / training - 60 hours
  • Best Friends Animal Society, Neonatal unit - 18 hours
  • Local 501c Rescue and Spay/Neuter group - 60 hours
Research:
  • Recearch on beetles and feeding habits - 90 hours over 2 years
Employment:
  • Pet sitting - 150 hours
  • multiple years of employment at veterinary facilities
  • home business - squid and jellyfish plushies, 3 years
Achievements:
  • Dean's List -- 3 years
  • Congressional Recognition for volunteer hours
  • President's List -- 1 year
  • Vet CPR certified through Cornell
  • Fear Free certified
  • VCA Anesthesia certification
Extracurriculars:
  • AGS Honor society - 3 years
  • Voluntereed at my local chuch - 8 years
  • Volunteer art teacher - 1 semester
  • Tournament of Roses float decorator - 3 years
eLORs:
  • 1 from a research professor (I had an extra eLOR submitted to Tufts from another research professor)
  • 3 veterinarians (both are practice owners / medical directors)
Any advice on how to proceed? I'm not ready to give up just yet!​

Hey all - I'm hoping to get some advice about my application. This is my second cycle applying and I'm not getting anywhere...again. No waitlists, nothing...
(If this is in the wrong spot - sorry! I didn't want to make a separate thread just for this question.)
I don't feel as though my stats are really bad...obviously, they could be better. I was working and taking care of family through undergrad and I think that did affect my GPA a little. I would LOVE to pursue the most effective path towards improving my stats, if possible. I think that increasing my science or last 45 GPA would help a lot. I have too many units to really affect my overall GPA. Would an MS in Veterinary Forensic Science or RVT credentials through Penn Foster help? I could finish those in the next year and have most of the schooling completed before the next cycle is completed.

Here are my stats:

AAS in Biology, 2013
BS in Biochemistry, 2015

Vet Experience:

• Lead assistant, inventory manager, surgical assistant, and more - appoximately 55,000 hours
    • The math on that - 14 years x 10-14 hours a day x 4-6 days a week, almost no vacation during this time between 3 hospitals
Animal Experience:
Research:
Employment:
Achievements:
  • Dean's List -- 3 years
  • Fear Free certified
Extracurriculars:
eLORs:
  • 1 from a research professor (I had an extra eLOR submitted to Tufts from another research professor)
Your overall GPA isn't bad, but your science GPA and last 45 are a little low. What is your in state school (IS)?

Here are my stats:

AAS in Biology, 2013
BS in Biochemistry, 2015

Vet Experience:

Animal Experience:
Research:
Employment:
Achievements:
  • Dean's List -- 3 years
  • Fear Free certified
Extracurriculars:
eLORs:

Do you have any specific reason for choosing those schools? Other than your IS?

UC Davis and Western
Ok then here's how admissions at Davis works:
Davis looks solely at last 45 GPA and science GPA then quantitative GRE score. They will also be looking at how your letters of recommendation ranked you on a 1-5 scale. They weight things in this order.

The out of state applicants will still be evaluated in the same way and the top 10% will be offered interviews. In state applicants will be divided into two categories. The top 180 applicants, ranked by the same standards as before, will be offered interviews automatically, while the next 180 ranked applicants will be given a wholesome review where the admissions committee will read over the entire application and give consideration to any outstanding circumstances and other things like veterinary hours, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. 60 of those applicants will be offered interviews. From there everything is a level playing field as admission will be offered solely on how you score on the MMI.

Bottom line your scores are a little lower than average for Davis, unfortunately that's just how they do things. But since you're an IS resident you could get a holistic review but only if you rank in the top 360 applicants of IS residents.

I'm afraid I won't be of much help for the other schools but if you improve your last 45 GPA you'd have a great shot at Davis. Best of luck to you.

Here are my stats:

AAS in Biology, 2013
BS in Biochemistry, 2015

Vet Experience:

Animal Experience:
Research:
Employment:
Achievements:
  • Dean's List -- 3 years
  • Fear Free certified
Extracurriculars:
eLORs:
I think the red flag is that your last 45 is quite low. Schools like to see either an upward trajectory or a solid one, not a downward trend. A lower last 45 indicates that upper levels were a struggle, meaning they may doubt how you would perform at vet school. I think an MS would help much more than RVT cred. However, some schools do not look at masters programs for changing your last 45 which is something to consider. You could try to boost other aspects of your app (research and animal hours are low but vet experience is high so it probably doesn't matter) but honestly it's probably the GPA that's holding you back. Definitely try to get file reviews if possible also!

Status
Not open for further replies.