This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to get my bachelors before going in the vet tech track? I’ve heard people doing vet tech then later doing vet school. Or can I get my vet tech degree while getting my bachelors? I know I have the potential for good grades. My first college I had a 3.8 gpa and I transferred to start the pre-vet track and I just had a horrible time my first few semesters and my gpa suffered. I’ve been interested in animal therapy like a therapist for animals but doesn’t that require vet school?

How many credits did you take there? Pretty sure they all count as part of your cumulative GPA for the application, even if they were taken at different schools. (I'd have to look at my application to be sure, but I'm pretty sure they totaled all of my college credits for cumulative GPA, including the two schools I went to for undergrad plus the college where I am completing a post-baccalaureate certificate.)

Members don't see this ad.

A vet tech degree would usually be an associates or a bachelors depending on where you go for it, so you wouldn't need to have a bachelors degree first. And some people do tech school and then go onto vet school, but it's definitely not necessary and a lot of people on here will tell you not to spend money on tech school and put yourself in more debt if your ultimate goal is vet school. I'm not sure if vet schools would count tech classes as part of your prerequisites and gpa or not, I haven't researched that route because it's not something I'm interested in doing. And you would also have to be careful about timing because even if you had already taken a lot of vet school prereqs, there is a limit on how long ago they can have been for some (all? Idk) vet schools.

Again, have you shadowed veterinarians to make sure that becoming a vet is actually what you want to do?

How many credits did you take there? Pretty sure they all count as part of your cumulative GPA for the application, even if they were taken at different schools. (I'd have to look at my application to be sure, but I'm pretty sure they totaled all of my college credits for cumulative GPA, including the two schools I went to for undergrad plus the college where I am completing a post-baccalaureate certificate.)
I think I took about 35 hours there but I don’t think all of them transferred to my major at my current college. I could be wrong but I don’t think it even weighted in my gpa from my first college to my current one. If that’s the case would be gpa actually be higher? (So if this sounded confusing)

And yes I’ve shadowed a vet before. I’d love to become a vet and have a lot of passion for it. I’ve lately been looking a lot at being an animal therapist but I’m not sure how to exactly go that route and if that requires vet school as well.

I think I took about 35 hours there but I don’t think all of them transferred to my major at my current college. I could be wrong but I don’t think it even weighted in my gpa from my first college to my current one. If that’s the case would be gpa actually be higher? (So if this sounded confusing)

And yes I’ve shadowed a vet before. I’d love to become a vet and have a lot of passion for it. I’ve lately been looking a lot at being an animal therapist but I’m not sure how to exactly go that route and if that requires vet school as well.
Your original gpa will definitely count towards your gpa for vet school apps. Even if you took classes at a community college while in high school, you would be required to send in that transcript and those classes would count. I'd recommend trying to calculate your actual cumulative gpa including those classes from the first school because most likely they are not included in your current gpa (your current transcript would tell you. If they have grades next to them, most likely hey are included, if it's just listed as credit, they're not. Most transfer classes are just listed as credit).

Not sure about the route to animal therapy. You could try researching that or if you know an animal therapist you could ask them. If animal therapy is the route you think you want to go, I'd recommend shadowing one to make sure that's the field you want to be in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just feel down in the dumbs and wish I could just start over. I had a rough first year and a half which regarded in my low gpa. For my 3.4 gpa I have 17 credit hours for that. I just don’t know what to do to raise my gpa. If it’s worth retaking courses, or stay in school and take classes until I can raise my gpa. I’m 22 which I know is still young but I feel like I’m so behind compared to my friends.

I haven’t seen it mentioned and it doesn’t apply to you right now but there are a few vet schools that do a grade forgiveness of sorts (Illinois and Missouri I think?). I know there have to be several years between those grades and time of application (you’d have to look up the specifics) and I think it would require you to retake all prereqs, maybe even get a 2nd bachelors. I don’t know the details but it’s worth looking into if going to vet school is super important to you :)

Your original gpa will definitely count towards your gpa for vet school apps. Even if you took classes at a community college while in high school, you would be required to send in that transcript and those classes would count. I'd recommend trying to calculate your actual cumulative gpa including those classes from the first school because most likely they are not included in your current gpa (your current transcript would tell you. If they have grades next to them, most likely hey are included, if it's just listed as credit, they're not. Most transfer classes are just listed as credit).

Not sure about the route to animal therapy. You could try researching that or if you know an animal therapist you could ask them. If animal therapy is the route you think you want to go, I'd recommend shadowing one to make sure that's the field you want to be in.

I haven’t seen it mentioned and it doesn’t apply to you right now but there are a few vet schools that do a grade forgiveness of sorts (Illinois and Missouri I think?). I know there have to be several years between those grades and time of application (you’d have to look up the specifics) and I think it would require you to retake all prereqs, maybe even get a 2nd bachelors. I don’t know the details but it’s worth looking into if going to vet school is super important to you :)
Do the classes that transferred but didn’t apply to my major count in that gpa or no?

And by grade forgiveness do you mean retaking certain classes that I got a low score in and they look at the latest one? Do you mean I’d have to redo the pre-reqs if they weren’t taken in between that time?

Do the classes that transferred but didn’t apply to my major count in that gpa or no?
Your cumulative gpa will include EVERY class from EVERY school you've attended. I had two majors and classes from 3 universities/colleges. My cumulative GPA was a bit higher than my degree GPA, since it included those non-degree things, too.

Reactions: 1 users

And by grade forgiveness do you mean retaking certain classes that I got a low score in and they look at the latest one? Do you mean I’d have to redo the pre-reqs if they weren’t taken in between that time?
Yes, every class you have ever taken at a college counts toward your cumulative GPA.

And yes to the just grade forgiveness question. For Virginia Tech, for example, if it has been 7 years since you took a class you can take it again and only your most recent grade would be used to calculate your science gpa. But if you were happy with your grade, you can use it even if it is older than 7 years old.

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The grade "forgiveness" is more of a clean slate type of deal and wipes out the older classes and they don't factor into your gpa at all. It wipes out alllllll of them, not just ones you retake, so you'd have to retake prereqs even if you did decently in them if they were beyond the timeframe for a school. Some schools it's "all prereqs have to be taken within the last X number of years" and some are more like "if classes are older than X number of years you can petition to have them ignored." Either way, with one of those types of options you'd have to retake every prereq that falls into that ignored timeframe.

Some quick math with excel... Assuming you had a GPA of 3.8 for 35 credits at your first college, and a GPA of 2.2 for 60 credits at your current college, your cumulative GPA should currently be ~2.79. Still not competitive, but much more salvageable than a 2.2 if you continue to get good grades. Also above the minimum cut offs for some schools, and closer to the minimum for others.

I’ve lately been looking a lot at being an animal therapist but I’m not sure how to exactly go that route and if that requires vet school as well.

From some quick googling, it looks like animal physical therapists are generally either veterinarians or licensed physical therapists with special training related to animals. Either way you'd be looking at 3-4 years of graduate school. You may want to look into some DPT programs in addition to DVM programs if you think that's what you might want to do as a career.

Like others have said, all college coursework feeds into the cumulative GPA.

And from the Illinois website:

PETITION TO IGNORE ACADEMIC RECORD COMPLETED OVER 6 YEARS AGO (OPTIONAL)
  • The Admissions Advisory Committee recognizes that an academic record completed over 6 years ago may not appropriately reflect the current academic abilities of the applicant.
  • Applicants who completed a BS/BA degree 6 years or more prior to matriculation for DVM studies at Illinois may petition to have all course work related to the BS/BA studies ignored in the admission decision process.
  • To be eligible for consideration for admission, the applicant must meet or exceed the requirements of Plan B, unless the applicant has completed a second BS/BA degree.
  • The applicant must provide an explanation for why the BS/BA course work should be ignored.
  • If you wish to petition the Admissions Advisory Committee to ignore courses taken 6 years or more before matriculation, you must submit a petition of explanation in the Illinois questions embedded in the VMCAS application.

first year applying
GPA 3.6
science GPA 3.4
GRE 308
Major Biology, minor chemistry

Animal experience
One summer working at a vet clinic, volunteering 4 hours a week at the local zoo getting to watch vet procedures, animal training, and learning how to handle different animals.
extracurricular
200+ hours big brothers big sisters, SGA judical board, SGA election commission, treasurer big brothers big sisters club, Order of Omega greek honor society, tri-beta biological honor society, Lambda Sigma sophomore honor society, Honors college ambassador, work installing air conditioners in the summers,
Research in a tick lab on the innate immune system, have to write thesis and will present.
IS- Auburn OOS- Mississippi State, Kansas, Lincoln Memorial, Purdue

Members don't see this ad :)
how many hours total of both vet experience and animal experience do you have with these?
working this summer about 500 and 60 so far with the zoo, I'm about to work at the clinic this Christmas break and ill be there all next summer also.

working this summer about 500 and 60 so far with the zoo, I'm about to work at the clinic this Christmas break and ill be there all next summer also.
Did you apply for this current cycle that just closed or are you applying next cycle that opens May 2018?

(Not sure which you meant by "first time applicant" so I'm asking so people have a better idea of when you're applying, since if you applied this cycle, the Christmas hours and next summer hours wouldn't matter for the current cycle)

Did you apply for this current cycle that just closed or are you applying next cycle that opens May 2018?

(Not sure which you meant by "first time applicant" so I'm asking so people have a better idea of when you're applying, since if you applied this cycle, the Christmas hours and next summer hours wouldn't matter for the current cycle)
I applied this cycle, I didn't know if working this Christmas would be something I could talk about in an interview (if I got one) or not

I applied this cycle, I didn't know if working this Christmas would be something I could talk about in an interview (if I got one) or not
Depends on the type of interview. If it's an open file interview, prob could, if it's a behavioral style interview or a closed file interview, I'm not sure if it would actually be added to your file or anything or noted anywhere where it could potentially affect an acceptance or not, if there was even a chance to bring it up, I really don't know.

You could always try emailing your schools after Christmas and asking if you were allowed to add more experience hours to your application. Worst they can say is they aren't able to add anything.

Depends on the type of interview. If it's an open file interview, prob could, if it's a behavioral style interview or a closed file interview, I'm not sure if it would actually be added to your file or anything or noted anywhere where it could potentially affect an acceptance or not, if there was even a chance to bring it up, I really don't know.

You could always try emailing your schools after Christmas and asking if you were allowed to add more experience hours to your application. Worst they can say is they aren't able to add anything.

I know for my behavioral at UMN and my interview at ISU (I think they were doing closed?) I was able to discuss things that I had been doing since applying. Not sure if that's always the case but I think it does have some ability to help you with regards to your interview portion, but I agree that they aren't going to go back and update your application. Either way, OP, it's good to be working on more experiences in preparation for re-applying if need be.

I am currently a sophomore and I'm planning on applying to vet school this summer. I will be in state for the University of Florida and am planning on applying to Auburn, Georgia, and LSU as well. I finished my freshman year with a 4.0 and I don't anticipate having lower than a 3.8-3.9 when I apply. At the end of this year, I will only have one outstanding prerequisite class. I have not taken the GRE yet and will not be until February. I have not had an issue with standardized tests in the past, but I plan to take it two or three times to be safe. To be competitive, how many hours with a vet should I have when I apply and what GRE scores should I have? I will have large and small animal experience. As far as other talking points I have to put on my application, I am a chemistry tutor, I am involved in undergraduate research, I'm the treasurer and founding member of a student run organization that that focuses on community service, and I am a member of the honors college. Since I'm applying early I don't expect to get in on my first try, but I at least want to have a shot. If you have any other tips that could give me a competitive edge, I would appreciate them. Thank you.

I realized after posting this that it may be in the wrong place, so I apologize if that is the case.

Last edited:
I took a look at the thread for class of 2021 applicants. Most of the accepted students appear to have 1000+ hours. I have not always wanted to be a vet and only recently started accruing hours. Realistically, I will only be able to accumulate at most 700 hours before I apply (600 more realistic). I still want to apply this summer so I can get feedback on my application and try again before I graduate. Is 700 hours enough to be competitive (~500 small animal, ~200 large animal)?

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me any advice on how to improve my application for this cycle. I am a non traditional student and had to take a few pre-reqs to be considered last year. I applied last year and got interviewed and waitlisted at tennessee and also waitlisted at UF.

25 years old, male, Florida resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biology, University of South Florida

Cum GPA: 3.69
Science GPA:3.5
(I took microbiology in the fall and biochemistry this spring, received A's.

Veterinary Experience:
- 717 hours experience SA
- 1183 hours experience LA

I work at a mixed animal practice and am classified as a large animal technician but obviously do small animal when we are not out in the field.

Animal Experience:
- 1570 hours volunteering at a theraputic riding facility for disabled children and the elderly.

Letters of Recommendation
-University of South Florida Professor
-Jacksonville University professor
-Veternarian I work for
-Owner of the riding facility

GRE: 1110: 540 verbal; 570 quant. I am currently enrolled in a kaplan course and will be retaking it just before the deadline this summer.

My concerns:

-Basically all of the vet experience is from one clinic. I shadowed at a few clinics but only accumulated maybe 100 hours from them before working at this clinic. I have tried to find other vets but I really enjoy working here because we see all species. I have looked for strictly LA vets but my mixed animal vet pretty much has a monopoly on the region.

-All of my animal experience if from this riding facility. I love working there, it is really rewarding and it combines animal experience with community service/extracurriculars.

-I have no other extracurriculars other than the community related service I perform at the riding facility. I basically spend all my time between the clinic and at the riding facility.

I think I have strengthened my application since last year, I had about 900 hours vet experience and applied with no animal experience whatsoever. I am hoping to have significantly more hours once I apply again in october.

I am applying this year to: UF, Tenn, Tufts, UPENN, Cornell and definetly a few other schools. My obvious number one is my IS (UF) but I really like Tufts and it is my top OOS school.

Im sure I have left some things out so please ask me anything.

Thank you so much!

You need to fix spelling in this

3 typos and one misspelled word, the horror!

Reactions: 4 users
Could anyone give me advice on chances after interview offers are extended?

Okay...I applied to a lot of schools.
So far, it's a rejection from UC Davis and Western (admittedly I didn't really qualify with their prereqs)
an interview waitlist (? didn't know those existed) from Virginia Maryland
and an interview offer from Washington State, Kansas State, and Lincoln Memorial.

That leaves me with 17 more schools to hear back from. I was super insecure about my application lol...and yes if I only got into any 1 of the 23 schools on my list I would still go to that one, so I didn't apply anywhere in vain.

For financial reasons and for waitlisted applicants I'll need to turn down some interview offers (if I get more) but without a better idea of my chances of acceptance after an interview offer I don't know how safe I feel doing so / how many I should be turning down.

Please help me :) Thanks!

So far, it's a rejection from UC Davis and Western (admittedly I didn't really qualify with their prereqs)
and an interview offer from Washington State, Kansas State, and Lincoln Memorial.

That leaves me with 17 more schools to hear back from. I was super insecure about my application lol...and yes if I only got into any 1 of the 23 schools on my list I would still go to that one, so I didn't apply anywhere in vain.

For financial reasons and for waitlisted applicants I'll need to turn down some interview offers (if I get more) but without a better idea of my chances of acceptance after an interview offer I don't know how safe I feel doing so / how many I should be turning down.

Holy applications.

Hard to really say without knowing your stats (and even then, it’s hard to say which schools specifically will give you offers and which won’t), but getting interviews is a good sign. Biggest suggestion? Take a deep breath and try not to stress too much.

Reactions: 2 users
I took a look at the thread for class of 2021 applicants. Most of the accepted students appear to have 1000+ hours. I have not always wanted to be a vet and only recently started accruing hours. Realistically, I will only be able to accumulate at most 700 hours before I apply (600 more realistic). I still want to apply this summer so I can get feedback on my application and try again before I graduate. Is 700 hours enough to be competitive (~500 small animal, ~200 large animal)?
I only had like ~550 small animal and then <50 other, and I got in, so it’s definitely doable!! Other things that matter: GPA, GRE, other experience (I did research in undergrad), stunning LOR’s. It’s definitely possible.

Oh! something to add: I still got rejected from schools. I know that VAMD really cares about experience, so tailor your application around that as well.

So yes, while not having 1000+ hours of experience could help, it’s not a deal break (plus you’ll have all of next summer!!). I had a friend in undergrad who had ~5000 hours of experience, but a lower GPA (2.9) and didn’t get in. It’s all kind of a game, honestly. :laugh:

Agree with the comment that the interview offers are a good sign.

I just can't wrap my head around that many applications! :eek:

Reactions: 4 users

I'm just curious and you don't have to answer this if you're not comfortable. Which schools did you not apply to and why?

I'm just curious and you don't have to answer this if you're not comfortable. Which schools did you not apply to and why?
No worries. I did not apply to:
-The two Alabama schools
-Midwestern
-Mississippi State
-North Carolina
-Oklahoma
-Tennessee
-Texas A&M
-Any schools outside the US except for Ross

And I did not apply to these schools because I did not qualify for them in one way or another (prerequisites)
Also, I work with a veterinarian who spent time at one of the Alabama schools and didn't recommend either of them which influenced my decision not to apply.

Agree with the comment that the interview offers are a good sign.

I just can't wrap my head around that many applications! :eek:

I was dead to the world for a few months haha

Will having little to no animal experience (shelter volunteering, animal care, etc.) but a ton of veterinary experience (1500+ hours in a variety of species) hurt my chances? I would love to pursue something so I can put something under animal experience, but between my job at a veterinary clinic and research position + classes of course, I don't think I have the time to take on a strictly "animal" experience.

Will having little to no animal experience (shelter volunteering, animal care, etc.) but a ton of veterinary experience (1500+ hours in a variety of species) hurt my chances? I would love to pursue something so I can put something under animal experience, but between my job at a veterinary clinic and research position + classes of course, I don't think I have the time to take on a strictly "animal" experience.
I don’t think animal experience is really necessary, while vet experience is definitely required. I think animal experience is just to supplement those with low vet hours, or some people may have some really cool animal experience.

I had just about no animal experience as well. Accepted to Midwestern, and have received four more interview offers. I wouldn't worry about it!

I had just about no animal experience as well. Accepted to Midwestern, and have received four more interview offers. I wouldn't worry about it!

That's awesome to hear! Congratulations, and good luck with the interviews! :clap:

I would like some help figuring out what else I can do.

I have applied to vet schools for the last 6 consecutive years. I'm still waiting to hear back from Florida, Mississippi and Purdue but should hear back soon. I received rejection from Oregon and Washington. I was wait-listed at Midwestern.

I got an interview last year at Washington. I'm an in state student. Currently, I work full time at the WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital as a central service technician (sterilizing surgery instruments (5,000+ hours)), am taking two courses (a neuroscience and biology course), am co-advising companion animal club and volunteer at an animal clinic 3 evenings a week (the only time vet places are open and I'm not working).

My stats:
- GRE (from 2015): Writing 4.0 (60%), Quantitative 151 (43%), Qualitative 151 (52%). I’m planning on retaking the GRE again this summer.
- Graduating GPA = 3.37
- Cumulative GPA = 3.42
- Last 45 credit GPA (all upper division science courses) = 3.59
- Degree in Animal Science, minor in biology
- Graduation: Dec 2011
- Vet Experience 2000+ hours (specialty center, large animal at vet teaching hospital and small animal general practice)
- Animal experience not including pets = 1500+ hours
- Undergrad Vet anatomy Teaching assistant for 2.5 semesters (only available in spring)

If any more info is needed, let me know. Thank you.

Last edited:

I have applied to vet schools for the last 6 consecutive years. I'm still waiting to hear back from Florida, Mississippi and Purdue but should hear back soon. I received rejection from Oregon and Washington. I was wait-listed at Midwestern.

I got an interview last year at Washington. I'm an in state student. Currently, I work full time at the WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital as a central service technician (sterilizing surgery instruments (5,000+ hours)), am taking two courses (a neuroscience and biology course), am co-advising companion animal club and volunteer at an animal clinic 3 evenings a week (the only time vet places are open and I'm not working).

My stats:
- GRE (from 2015): Writing 4.0 (60%), Quantitative 151 (43%), Qualitative 151 (52%). I’m planning on retaking the GRE again this summer.
- Graduating GPA = 3.37
- Cumulative GPA = 3.42
- Last 45 credit GPA = 3.59
- Vet Experience 2000+ hours (specialty center, large animal at vet teaching hospital and small animal general practice)

Have you contacted any of the schools you have applied to and done a file review?

Have you contacted any of the schools you have applied to and done a file review?

Only at WSU but I've done them every year. I've done everything they've ever told me to consider doing but last year they just said I wasn't doing enough. At this point, I'm not really sure what else I can do since I'm busy "working" (aka working, volunteering, taking classes and doing homework) for 70+ hours a week. My schedule consists of 6am-9pm M-F busy "working" before homework. I don't really know what else to do.

Only at WSU but I've done them every year. I've done everything they've ever told me to consider doing but last year they just said I wasn't doing enough. At this point, I'm not really sure what else I can do since I'm busy "working" (aka working, volunteering, taking classes and doing homework) for 70+ hours a week. My schedule consists of 6am-9pm M-F busy "working" before homework. I don't really know what else to do.
What specifically have they asked and what have you done? After applying that many times, I feel like it might be unlikely they will accept you. For whatever reason, there might be a red flag for them. Your stats are not stellar but they aren’t horrible either.

Have you applied to any of the Caribbean schools? Would you consider moving to a different state to establish in state residency and having a better chance at a different vet school?

My stats:
- Graduating GPA = 3.37
- Cumulative GPA = 3.42
- Undergrad Vet anatomy Teaching assistant for 2.5 semesters (only available in spring)

I agree with ziggyandjazzy on pretty much everything they said. Considering you're IS and got an interview last year but not this year is interesting. Obviously retake your gre and work on bringing up that GPA.

Some of my questions are have you held a job outside of vet med and the ta? This helps round you out as an applicant, things such as customer service develop from this and shows you've explored some other career options. The sterilizing instruments is great but after awhile you're no longer acquiring new skills and evolving so consider changing jobs.

It sounds like you're really involved on the animal front and that is great but consider changing it up. Consider giving those a rest because what you're doing unfortunately isn't working. You have those hours and experiences but do you have community interactions? Do you go volunteer at the boys and girls club or soup kitchen or something like that? Something along these lines of volunteer service to your community, because as a veterinarian especially if you're considering gp connecting with your community is huge. Being out and interacting with your community helps develop your skills of being empathetic and sensitive to people's situation which is very important when dealing with clients.

Also at this point (I don't remember if credits expire for WA or not) do you need to retake some of those prerequisite credits? Adding to that have you thought about entering something like a Master's program?

Perhaps your elors are detrimental to you? I know of some cases where people would ask a person and they would agree to write a lor but after the fact many found their lor from that person was not by far what they had hoped for (this particular incident the person never wrote a positive lor but agreed to them all the time).

Something that strikes me remarkably in the difference from last year to this year is the change in essay content. Last year was personal statements this year was more directed questions. Perhaps take into consideration how you answered all of the questions.

Not applicable to other schools, but only for WSU (not implying that this would happen,but...), considering you spend alot of time at the animal hospital, have you had any bad interactions with people at the institute? It sounds somewhat unlikely considering you got an interview last cycle but that's something to consider, although you're just a number when they evaluate your application I'm sure your application looks familiar to some that they can name you despite being "anonymous".

I know that was super extensive and hope that helped. Feel free to ask me questions or anything on here or though pm. Good luck with everyone else!

My stats:
- Graduating GPA = 3.37
- Cumulative GPA = 3.42

That’s disheartening about WSU for sure.

Your grades aren’t extraordinary, but they definitely are in the impossible range either. Do you have anything less than a C on your transcript?

Just throwing some suggestions out there...have you analyzed what OOS schools you are applying to? How many seats they have for OOS students vs. your stats and what they are looking for. I know Oregon doesn’t take that many OOS...and I think Purdue overall has a pretty small class.

GRE: not bad scores but not stellar. Maybe retake. A lot of times I feel like retaking the GRE can be overkill but when both your GPA and GRE are a little below average, it might help you do do reallly well on the GRE. Probably easier to fix that than do anything with your GPA.

Extracurricular activities? Hobbies? Volunteer work? (Outside of Animals/vet med) Remember vet schools do care about those things. They want to see that your human! (I definitely got asked about my hobbies that I put on my application during interview).

I don’t know how practical it is for you at this point, but research experience can REALLY make you stand out. Schools like that a lot.

What’s your breakdown for large vs. small animal hours?

Ask for a file review AT ALL the schools you applied to this year!!!

Are your LORs excellent? Do you know the people who are writing them for you well? Do they know you well? What kind of people are writing them for you? DVMs? PhDs? Other?

Last edited:

My stats:
- Graduating GPA = 3.37
- Cumulative GPA = 3.42

I agree with everything said already, but I would add don't discount Midwestern yet. People get accepted off the wait list all the time. You may get a call over the summer and not even need to worry!!

What specifically have they asked and what have you done? After applying that many times, I feel like it might be unlikely they will accept you. For whatever reason, there might be a red flag for them. Your stats are not stellar but they aren’t horrible either.

Have you applied to any of the Caribbean schools? Would you consider moving to a different state to establish in state residency and having a better chance at a different vet school?
The first year I applied, I wasn't going to have my bachelors degree. I knew a lot of people that had to apply twice so I figured I'd apply, hopefully get in but figured I'd get my first application out of the way to get me in the following year. She told me to get my bachelors and retake the GRE (my scores were really low) so I did. My GRE scores didn't really improve much. I was scheduled to get my bachelors degree in spring 2014 (after only 3 years) but after not getting accepted for a second time, I extended that to take more courses for the next year. Then I was forced to graduate because I got denied financial aid in spring 2014. She told me to retake the GRE again so I did in 2015. I had a chance to really study for them that time so the scores doubled, one even almost tripled! When I met with her again, she told me that by the way all the vet experience I had gained didn't count so it looked to them like I only had 50 hours (even though I had 1500+ hours). I tried finding another vet clinic in Pullman to volunteer at but nowhere would get back to me. After working full time, I was able to take courses (for free) which I've taken advantage of. After graduating, I retook, ochem and microbiology and took physics II, ochem II, cell biology, neuroscience fundamentals and marine biology. I was also able to find a vet place that allows volunteers so I volunteer when they are open and I'm not working. Last year, in my interview, I asked them if there was anything they could think of that I should be doing to best prepare me for vet school and they said exactly what I'm doing. When I met with her about why I didn't get in, she said I wasn't doing enough.

The first year I applied, I wasn't going to have my bachelors degree. I knew a lot of people that had to apply twice so I figured I'd apply, hopefully get in but figured I'd get my first application out of the way to get me in the following year. She told me to get my bachelors and retake the GRE (my scores were really low) so I did. My GRE scores didn't really improve much. I was scheduled to get my bachelors degree in spring 2014 (after only 3 years) but after not getting accepted for a second time, I extended that to take more courses for the next year. Then I was forced to graduate because I got denied financial aid in spring 2014. She told me to retake the GRE again so I did in 2015. I had a chance to really study for them that time so the scores doubled, one even almost tripled! When I met with her again, she told me that by the way all the vet experience I had gained didn't count so it looked to them like I only had 50 hours (even though I had 1500+ hours). I tried finding another vet clinic in Pullman to volunteer at but nowhere would get back to me. After working full time, I was able to take courses (for free) which I've taken advantage of. After graduating, I retook, ochem and microbiology and took physics II, ochem II, cell biology, neuroscience fundamentals and marine biology. I was also able to find a vet place that allows volunteers so I volunteer when they are open and I'm not working. Last year, in my interview, I asked them if there was anything they could think of that I should be doing to best prepare me for vet school and they said exactly what I'm doing. When I met with her about why I didn't get in, she said I wasn't doing enough.
Did you apply anywhere else previously? I've heard that OSU can be very difficult to get into, even for instate people. Since you re-took courses, you may want to look into schools that do grade replacement. Also, after 6 application cycles, you should really start considering your plan B. You can't keep putting life on hold waiting for an acceptance. I'm not saying give up, but your plan B may help with an acceptance too.

I agree with ziggyandjazzy on pretty much everything they said. Considering you're IS and got an interview last year but not this year is interesting. Obviously retake your gre and work on bringing up that GPA.

Some of my questions are have you held a job outside of vet med and the ta? This helps round you out as an applicant, things such as customer service develop from this and shows you've explored some other career options. The sterilizing instruments is great but after awhile you're no longer acquiring new skills and evolving so consider changing jobs.

It sounds like you're really involved on the animal front and that is great but consider changing it up. Consider giving those a rest because what you're doing unfortunately isn't working. You have those hours and experiences but do you have community interactions? Do you go volunteer at the boys and girls club or soup kitchen or something like that? Something along these lines of volunteer service to your community, because as a veterinarian especially if you're considering gp connecting with your community is huge. Being out and interacting with your community helps develop your skills of being empathetic and sensitive to people's situation which is very important when dealing with clients.

Also at this point (I don't remember if credits expire for WA or not) do you need to retake some of those prerequisite credits? Adding to that have you thought about entering something like a Master's program?

Perhaps your elors are detrimental to you? I know of some cases where people would ask a person and they would agree to write a lor but after the fact many found their lor from that person was not by far what they had hoped for (this particular incident the person never wrote a positive lor but agreed to them all the time).

Something that strikes me remarkably in the difference from last year to this year is the change in essay content. Last year was personal statements this year was more directed questions. Perhaps take into consideration how you answered all of the questions.

Not applicable to other schools, but only for WSU (not implying that this would happen,but...), considering you spend alot of time at the animal hospital, have you had any bad interactions with people at the institute? It sounds somewhat unlikely considering you got an interview last cycle but that's something to consider, although you're just a number when they evaluate your application I'm sure your application looks familiar to some that they can name you despite being "anonymous".

I know that was super extensive and hope that helped. Feel free to ask me questions or anything on here or though pm. Good luck with everyone else!

Also, I forgot to put this on the initial post but I was in the middle of the wait list last year (between 7-14). I've considered getting a new job but it's unlikely I'll be able to change at this point. I've been offered a couple different jobs at one of the local animal clinics (the one I currently volunteer at) but there are a couple problems. 1) I wouldn't be able to take classes and I love being able to continue my education. I hated not being in school for the two semesters I wasn't enrolled after graduation. I cannot afford to take courses with the cost of tuition if I worked anywhere else. 2) I started at my job making $17 per hour but I'm currently making $20 per hour. This is with benefits and paid vacation (which continues accruing every year). The place I was offered a job would start me out at $8 per hour with no benefits but paid vacation that you have to use or lose every year. I've been checking with schools that I apply to to make sure that the credits I have won't expire. My eLORs are all people I've worked with on a regular basis that have always had good things to say about me. I can check with them to make sure but I don't think they would write anything bad. If they were going to, I don't even know what they would write about. I have worked at the animal hospital all through undergrad and then after graduation. The only bad interaction I can think of is with one professor who accused me of lying even after the person who complained about me realized she had gotten me and another girl mixed up due to a brain disability she had. But that happened 3-4 years ago and I got the interview last year, so I don't think that would be it. Thanks for the advise.

Why did your vet clinic hours not count, did they explain why?

I think when whoever it was suggested a new job, they were thinking of something outside of vetmed so that you can have some non-animal-related things on your application. As asked above, do you have much work experience/volunteering that doesn't involve animals at this time? Going from working in the teaching hospital to working in a clinic is pretty much more-of-the same, especially when you could just keep volunteering there instead.

FWIW, I know of one person who took 7 tries to get in, and they are now a veterinarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.