Hi! I'm curious about what I should do to make my application better. I really want to to get in next fall so I am not stuck doing nothing for a year. I am a junior, graduating next fall with a degree in Biology. This is my first time applying. I have not taken the GRE yet, but I typically do not do well on standardized tests (my ACT score was 26) so I am a bit nervous about that.
I'm an IA resident and want to apply to ISU and maybe a few others. Really banking on getting in to ISU though.
cGPA = 3.6, science GPA = 3.56 (Ochem hurt me there, lol).. I have all prereqs done except physics. Ochem 2 is currently in progress, I will probably end up with a B-/C+, so that'll probably bring my science GPA down a lil bit.
Vet experience: 100 hours shadowing a SA (canine repro) vet, 10 hours shadowing LA vet in a rural town, 5 hours shadowing at a mixed practice in a rural town, 7 hours observing surgeons at referral clinic in Denver (oncology, orthopedics), 5 necropsy hours w/ research vets... (by the time I apply, I should have more SA and equine vet experience)
(question: I am not entirely sure what to include in my hours. Anybody have a definition for what "vet experience" is? I have quite a few hours with an equine vet, but have no formal shadowing experience because I am usually the one hiring them to work on my horses... Not sure what to do there!)
Animal experience: 1000 hours riding/showing horses (IHSA, 4H, AQHA). 500 hours working with beef cow herd (help with care, administering shots, fly control, nutrition, calving season etc etc). 10 hours with feeder cattle. 4 hours with dairy cattle (learning preg check/AI). 25+ hours whelping puppies w/ a show dog breeder. 20 hours dog/cat sitting.
Research: I recently got a job as an assistant with a lab at the vet school that researches porcine vaccines and viruses. I have been involved in necropsies, handling blood/serum and tissue samples, and running tests. (also getting some much needed pig experience!)
Extracurriculars: I show horses in the summer, active in saddle club and a member of AQHA. Currently learning to show dogs, member of a local kennel club. I am also in pre-vet, equestrian, and B&B club on campus. Have been on dean's list for the last 2 semesters.
LOR: small animal vet, Dr who heads up the lab, and my reproduction professor.
If it matters at all, I am not sure what I want to do with my DVM yet. I like everything I've done so far, it's so hard to choose!