This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to not go to SGU, because I wasn't ready at that point in my life to make such a big transition. I am ready now, although I would prefer to stay in the US. I just got an email from Midwestern saying I was waitlisted for an interview...what does that mean exactly?
If people cancel an interview they will start offering people on the interview waitlist an interview. Or if they don't find enough candidates they really want and offer them interviews, they'll start interviewing people from the interview waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Would like some feedback on the schools that I am thinking of applying to because of my LOW GPA. Do I stand a chance?.
Applying to (maybe 2years from now): Oregon State, Iowa State, Ross U, Saint George U, and Western U.
Overall GPA:. 2.86
Science GPA: 2.6 (still need to take Organic, Biochem, and microbio) :(
Last 45: (still need to take about 22 more units) currently is 3.14

Make sure those schools don't have GPA cutoffs. Just keep trekking and do well you will probably be ok in the end you still have a few prereqs and I know Iowa emphasizes the last 45 and science over cumulative. Also many schools have petitions for course removal and some don't look at courses more than 6-7 years old so check into that also. For your GRE you might just relax for now, there's a bunch of changes coming and schools are starting to drop that requirement so hold off on that til closer to application..

-During the summers (as a teen), I helped my grandfather tend to his farm (feeding cattle, pigs, cleaning horse stables) all was under his supervision so it wasn't professional/was over a decade ago. Should I include it?

VMCAS rules state nothing over 10 years old so this doesn't qualify any longer I don't believe.

-Would this go under animal or non-veterinary? I worked as an Education volunteer at my local aquarium for 300+ hours. I basically talked to the public about the animals in the exhibits and encouraged discussions about conservation/ sustainable fishing. I also was able to teach guests how to interact with the animals in our touch pools. I had to take a few classes from the aquarium to learn about the animals/anatomy/ how to properly handle them so I don't know if it counts as animal because of that? Besides the sting ray/ bamboo shark pools (I got to be inside), I was always outside of the tank talking to people (hence education volunteer)

Animal, you interacted with the animals often teaching guests how to interact in touch pools.

Non-Veterinary Experience:
- I own a small business on Etsy (selling hermit crab food). I started an instagram page (4 years now) to help advocate and educate new owners on how to properly care for them and my page got big. I saw the need for ready to serve hermit crab food (because the store bought food is crap) so I started my business and still continue to help people through multiple social media platforms giving advice. I feel really passionate about helping people and animals :) I am very proud of this project but does it actually count? I did my own research on the nutritional needs for land hermit crabs and that is how I came up with my recipes. (business for over 1 year now)

Include this! It shows your other interests and who you are.

Research:
-Do internships count as research? I did an environmental steward internship where I got to collect data on invasive species and was able to help our campus steward come up with a plan to help remove them so we could increase the population of some of our native insect species that were being affected by invasive plant species. I also did general trail maintenance. Before I graduated, I did not know that I wanted to be a vet so I was really into the conservation type of research.
I also had to conduct my own research for a plant ecology course I took during undergrad. We had to make our own experiments and log them in a journal and at the end of the quarter, we had to write a short proposal (like if it were a thesis).
***All of these are plant/conservation related so that's why I am wondering if this counts? Would really appreciate your feedback!***

Count these. They all count animal related or not research is good use it to your advantage..

Awards/recognitions:
-Hispanic scholarship recipient
- I came out in a short documentary for one of the rescue dogs that I adopted. He was abused /lived with a homeless person. A rescue picked him up and contacted the rehab center that I work at. If the rehab center had not taken him in, he would have been euthanized. He was hopping on his RH leg for a month with a dislocated L hip. He had almost no muscle on his LH because he was hopping on it for so long. He needed an FHO surgery + rehab to be able to function again. I was only a kennel attendant at that moment. This guy literally changed my life and sparked my interest in veterinary medicine/animal rehab. I worked extra hard to learn how to help him out (physical therapy) and with my assistance, he is running around and having the most normal life possible for an FHO case. Because of this entire story, I was featured on this documentary for a pet resource center that just opened up. I don't know if this is even relevant? Or if I can/should include it? The last thing that I want is to sound cocky.

Count this. The point of VMCAS is to be cocky. Obviously not arrogant, but yes boast about your self, accomplishments, and everything in between. You are trying to prove that you deserve a place in that 150 size class from a pool of >1000 applicants. Keep trekking, get good grades in the remainder of your classes and I think you have a decent shot..

Thank you for replying :) I'm excited to know I can include all of this in my app. I thought it would be more blank. I'm actually crossing my fingers that I can apply Jan 2019 at least for SGU , Ross, Oregon, and I think Iowa. I didn't know that these schools don't require micrbio and most only require one semester of organic and one semester of biochem. If I can get that done during 2018 I think I'm going to apply 2019 for sure ! I don't want to risk waiting too long and having to take science courses over again because I hit the 5-6 years old mark.

I also found out Western requires 2 physics labs and I only took one ): I struggled so much in physics it is not something that I can see myself pursuing only because I worked my ass off to get a B. I don't want to risk lowering my GPA even more lol /: so Western may be out of the picture.
With that being said where did you find the information about the GRE being tentative ? :oops:

Hey there! So I don't plan on applying for a while (still need to take physics, biochem, and anything else to up my GPA), have not taken the GRE, current cumulative GPA is about 2.8 (B.S. in Biology and Chemistry, + some duel enrollment classes from high school). My question is about my experience. How does it look so far? I still help out my livestock vet sometimes, am petsitting/dog walking, and working ~30 hours a week at a mostly SA hospital. I have enough CE credits to get a Category IV wildlife rehabber license in the state of VA, I just have to be associated with a current rehabber or wildlife center. I'll also be starting a job at a shop with grooming/daycare/retail/maybe training in October.

Veterinary Experience:

Shadowed at a few different SA hospitals in high school: ~20 hours

Shadowed with a LA veterinarian high school to present: ~70 hours

Working at a SA/LA/Exotic hospital: ~1,500 hours and counting

Worked at a low-cost clinic: ~65 hours

Internship at an equine clinic: 150 hours

Working occasionally as a USEF testing technician: ~20 hours

Animal Experience:

Volunteered at animal shelter in high school: ~100 hours

Pet ownership: owned dogs, cats, livestock, and exotics my whole life

Petsitting/farmsitting since I was 9 years old. If I should just list hours for the past few years, ~150

A ton of experience working with/showing livestock and educating both kids and adults about agriculture through 4-H when I was in high school (did that for about six years, was Reporter for 2 terms, VP and President each for one term)

Worked at a pet store for 3 years, not sure how many hours

Working at a horse farm: ~300 hours

Working as a mouse caretaker in the biology department: ~55 hours

Internship at Maymont (working with livestock and wildlife): ~150 hours

Other Work Experience

Assisting the secretary of Copley Science center: ~50 hours

Research Experience:

Research with Biology professor on the effect knocking out GPR56 has on the fertility of mice: 140 hours

Extracurricular Activities:

Member of Beta Beta Beta, Biology honor society

Member/Vice President of Fellowship (for 3 semesters) of Alpha Phi Omega - Theta Omega Chapter

Member of Pre-Health Society

Pre-Vet Student Mentor

President of IRIS (photography and film club)

Member of Young Democrats

Member of Macon Outdoors

Other:

4-H All-Star

Pet First Aid and CPR certified

Beef Quality Assurance certified

Human CPR and first aid

Appreciate the help!

I have a similar GPA as you and that is what I am worried about!! Reading through all of these forums, I have felt discouraged a lot of times because I see people say "I have such a low GPA" and it's at least above a 3.0 /: anyways, I don't know much about competitive experience because I am knew to SDN but your list is long and there is definitely a ton of variation! I think vet schools like to see that you are well-rounded and have had experience with both LA and SA even if it was just for a few weeks. You also did mention that you will not be applying for a while so you have time to up your game ? Maybe focus on an area that you are passionate about ? Mine is also rehab :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for replying :) I'm excited to know I can include all of this in my app. I thought it would be more blank. I'm actually crossing my fingers that I can apply Jan 2019 at least for SGU , Ross, Oregon, and I think Iowa. I didn't know that these schools don't require micrbio and most only require one semester of organic and one semester of biochem. If I can get that done during 2018 I think I'm going to apply 2019 for sure ! I don't want to risk waiting too long and having to take science courses over again because I hit the 5-6 years old mark. ....
I also found out Western requires 2 physics labs and I only took one ): I struggled so much in physics it is not something that I can see myself pursuing only because I worked my ass off to get a B. I don't want to risk lowering my GPA even more lol /: so Western may be out of the picture.
With that being said where did you find the information about the GRE being tentative ? :oops: .
You can only apply for Oregon and Iowa through VMCAS so applying Jan 2019 is not possible for these schools. Admission for these schools is only for Fall semesters of the year after application (VMCAS is open May-Sept, admission for Fall is the following year for example VMCAS 2017 closes Sept 15,2017 if accepted I won't start school until August 2018). SGU just came to my school and is not scrapping the GRE anytime soon that the rep was aware of. There is some studies out there suggesting the GRE may be biased and isn't a good indicator of vet school success. Schools such as Purdue, Va-Md, and Michigan scrapped the GRE for this cycle. Due to this is it possible that other schools may follow suit in the proceeding application cycles that's why I would watch the schools you're looking to apply to to see if they also scrap the GRE.

Texas resident, 21 years old, 1st time applicant, Spanish and Biology major

Applying to:
Texas A&M, Mizzou

Cumulative GPA- 3.63
Science GPA- 3.44
Last 45 hours- 3.8ish

GRE- 166 V/150 Q/ 5.5

Veterinary Experience (Total of 1485 hours)
-Vet Tech (unlicensed) at small animal ER - 560 hours
-Vet Asst. at small animal ER- 402 hours
-Vet Asst/Kennel Tech at small animal day practice - 200 hours
-Shadow at small animal ER - 130 hours
-Shadow at equine practice - 75 hours
-Shadow at small animal/exotics day practice - 40 hours
-Shadow at small animal day practice - 48 hours
-Vet camp at A&M (high school) - 30 hours

Animal Experience- (Total of 3125 hours)
-Competitive hunter/equitation horseback riding on AA/A circuit - 1865 hours (been riding since I was 6 but only included hours from high school-present)
-Junior camp counselor at horseback riding camp - 640 hours
-Pet sitting - 360 hours
-Volunteer at therapeutic horseback riding centers- 304 hours
-Dog walking - 16 hours

Research experience - none

Extracurriculars/Academic Recognition:
-
President of Biology Honors Society
-VP and Community Engagement Chair of Bio Honors Society
-Recruitment chair of sorority
-Mentor and Assistant Coordinator- partnered with elementary school student for a semester & did science experiment
-member of Pre-Health honor society
-member of Spanish honors society
-Volunteer at ICE detention center
-Coordinated several low-income elementary/middle school student visits to my university's science center
-Student coordinator for breast cancer awareness event at local hospital
-Dean's list 3 semesters

LORs-
-Medical director at small animal ER (DVM)
-Equine vet I shadowed/family friend (DVM)
-Professor of vertebrate morphology course (DVM)

Advice ?... There are only a few courses that I need to take before I can apply (biochem and ochem/ a few more depending on schools requirements). I know some schools prefer upper division courses to be taken at specific level universities. I was thinking of taking ochem at my local community college...

Not sure what Michigan State will do with your GPA, but I can comment on the community college part: they told me specifically to save money and take my last 3 science courses at community colleges/online. I had microbio, biochem, and ochem 2. I am taking microbio and ochem 2 at lansing community college and biochem online through the Berkeley extension which was their recommendation. Talk to Donna Grooms, she's very helpful.

I have a stellar GPA of 2.86 (sarcasm btw lol). With over 200 units accumulated during my undergrad, getting my GPA up to even a 3.0 is going to be difficult.
Not sure what Michigan State will do with your GPA, but I can comment on the community college part: they told me specifically to save money and take my last 3 science courses at community colleges/online. I had microbio, biochem, and ochem 2. I am taking microbio and ochem 2 at lansing community college and biochem online through the Berkeley extension which was their recommendation. Talk to Donna Grooms, she's very helpful.
MSU doesn't look at cumulative GPA, just science prereq and last 36 GPA, both of which have to be at least a 3.0 for them to look at your application. So as long as those GPAs are above a 3.0, they would at least look at your application. I do think they average repeated grades though instead of replacing (so they both would show up in the sci GPA and possibly the last 36 depending on when the first attempt was)

Reactions: 1 user
MSU doesn't look at cumulative GPA, just science prereq and last 36 GPA, both of which have to be at least a 3.0 for them to look at your application. So as long as those GPAs are above a 3.0, they would at least look at your application. I do think they average repeated grades though instead of replacing (so they both would show up in the sci GPA and possibly the last 36 depending on when the first attempt was)

Unless they've changed it (which is possible so check website or talk to admissions for the most accurate information) then they'll replace for the science GPA but will count both attempts for last 36 if they both fall within the range.

Unless they've changed it (which is possible so check website or talk to admissions for the most accurate information) then they'll replace for the science GPA but will count both attempts for last 36 if they both fall within the range.
Coulda sworn they had been one of the ones who didn't replace :shrug:

So, thank you, Finny darling

This is my first post on this forum! I'm a senior but I'm taking a gap year so I'm about a year out from applying. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'm pretty good at standardized tests so I'm not worried about it.
So far I have a 3.62 cumulative GPA
Science GPA is around a 3.5
I have 2 withdrawals; one from intro chem and one from orgo 1. In both instances my teachers honestly sucked and I didn't feel like I was getting a solid foundation to move forward through the chemistry sequence. In both instances I retook the class the following semester and got an A.
I've had a few semesters where I took a 13-15 credit hour course load, and a couple of semesters where I've taken 10-11 credits. This was for financial reasons.

I have about 370 clinical hours, I know I need more and I'm working on it. I'm trying have between 700 and 1000 by the time I apply.
Most of those hours are from a small animal clinic (private practice.)
Some of them are from Operation Catnip which is a large scale community spay and neuter program that's put on by UF once a month.
I'm in the process of finding a large animal vet to shadow.
I'm also planning on going to Africa this summer after graduation to get some exotic animal hours. (I know I don't HAVE to go to Africa, but it's always been a dream.)
I'm currently doing research on dairy calf cognition. I'll rack up a LOT of hours doing that over the course of my senior year. I'll be a coauthor on their final paper.
I've worked as a group fitness instructor at UF's gym for the past 3 years. I teach a ballet class and I was a competitive dancer for 10 years before college.

My ultimate goal is to be a zoo vet, so I know I need some zoo/conservation/wildlife clinical hours.
I've thought a lot about getting a Masters before vet school. I'm going to apply for the masters position in the lab that I'm working in now because I LOVE the work and I think it would help me personally and professionally. In my dream world I would be able to do behavior research on zoo animals to improve their welfare.

Do any of you have any thoughts about my chances or about getting a masters first?
Thanks and sorry that was long-winded!

22 y/o female, Minnesota resident, first time applicant

Will apply spring ‘18 to: University of Minnesota (in-state)

Degree: B.S. in Zoology (in progress, graduation spring ‘18)

Cum. GPA: +/- 3.10
Science GPA: +/- 3.07
Prereq GPA: +/- 3.34 (based on U of M prereqs)
Last 45 GPA: +/- 3.13
*These are estimations of what I will be graduating with based on what courses I have left to complete and how my current 17 credits are going

GRE: I will be taking it spring/early summer ‘18, but my practice test had an average score for not even studying, so I am confident I will score well once I actually study for it. I am using a Kaplan study book with online practice tests. I will likely be picking up some flashcards packs, too.

Veterinary Experience: 76 hours (low, I know, but I’m planning to bump this up greatly by the time I apply)
-13 hours small animal
-1 hour shelter
-7 hours large animal
-1 hour lab animal (not sure how else to categorize this one)
-54 hours exotics

Animal Experience: 2,500 hours
-100 personal pet experience including caring for a dog with diabetes and a broken leg
-1,000 hours kennel assistant at local pound/small animal veterinary hospital
-700 hours working at 2 zoos with primates, bison, farm animals, and exotic hoofstock
-6 hours working the front desk of an animal shelter
-400 hours as a primary caregiver for 43 gibbons at a conservation center
-11 hours volunteering as a dog walker at an animal shelter
-37 hours as a volunteer farmhand milking dairy cows and checking teets for mastitis
-150 hours pet sitting for an elderly friend’s cat

Research Experience: 1,300 hours
-3 hours making behavioral observations on gibbons at the conservation center
-1,000 hours working at a university lab recording, collecting, and analyzing data on red-winged blackbird damage to sunflowers

Non-Animal Employment Experience:
-Personal care assistant for an elderly woman for a summer
-Sales associate at a retail store
-3 years housekeeping experience
-6 years babysitting experience

eLORs: *These are the people I plan to ask, but have not confirmed yet.
-Zoo veterinarian I worked closely with
-Research PI at my university lab job
-Manager at the veterinary hospital/pound I work at
-Lead zookeeper I interned under

Extracurriculars:
-Pre-vet club member
-Philanthropy chair of an honor society on campus for a year
-Occasionally volunteered with my hometown Girl Scout troop my freshman year (i.e. served food at fundraisers, helped chaperone a 14 day trip out of state with 30 scouts)
-Played saxophone in a community band for a few years in my hometown when home from college (we played for holiday events)

Achievements:
-Accepted into Mortar Board National Honor Society
-Dean’s List: 1 semester
-Recipient of 8 scholarships
-Was part of the Honor’s College at the first university I attended my freshman year

My concerns:
-Low vet experience hours. Again, I am trying to work on this by shadowing when able and next summer I plan to get a veterinary assistant position in the cities (my boyfriend and I will be moving to St. Paul once I graduate in the spring, so same town as U of M!)
-Lower GPAs. I had a few rough semesters where I was very depressed due to a bad relationship and also dealing with a very close family member dying from lymphoma (I was very active in caring for them and drove 7 hours each weekend for two months to spend time with them). I also think my study habits weren’t great then, but they have since improved.
-Leadership experience could use improvement, perhaps?

I have been nervous to post my stats because of my horrible GPA. I am retaking a couple of my classes this semester so my GPA gets better. I just came back from a semester abroad in Thailand with the LOOP Abroad program for pre vets. I got amazing experiences, but I am still nervous that I won't get a "good enough" GPA for any schools. I would like some feedback on about how my experience looks vs my GPA.

21 yr old NJ Resident
Soon first time applicant

Degree:
BS Biology
cum GPA: 2.69 (have not taken Orgos or physics yet)

GRE: have not taken it yet, planning for summer 2018

Animal Exp
20 hrs Humane Society
61.25 hrs Therapeutic horseback riding lead walker/ stable duties
160 hrs Zoo internship Animal Small Exotics/ wildlife
6 hrs Elephant sanctuary husbandry in Thailand

Veterinary Exp
+2600 hrs Animal Hospital small/exotics as vet tech in NJ
45 hrs Animal Rescue Kingdom (Chiang Mai, Thailand) Vet assistant, Small animal
36 hrs Veterinary spay/ neuter clinic in Thailand vet tech
70 hrs Externship in Animal Hospital in Chiang Mai, Thailand Small, domestic animals
20 hrs Phuket Aquarium veterinary care for sea turtles
68 hrs Elephants's sanctuary in Thailand Veterinary care
80 hrs shadowed/ received lectures about Eastern Asia and veterinary care at a sanctuary in Thailand

Research

44 hrs in Koh Tao, Thailand gathering data Marine wildlife
35 hrs in Costa Rica in an sustainable egg protection program for Sea turtles

I have been nervous to post my stats because of my horrible GPA. I am retaking a couple of my classes this semester so my GPA gets better. I just came back from a semester abroad in Thailand with the LOOP Abroad program for pre vets. I got amazing experiences, but I am still nervous that I won't get a "good enough" GPA for any schools. I would like some feedback on about how my experience looks vs my GPA.

21 yr old NJ Resident

Degree:
BS Biology

Animal Exp
20 hrs Humane Society

Veterinary Exp
70 hrs Externship in Animal Hospital in Chiang Mai, Thailand Small, domestic animals
80 hrs shadowed/ received lectures about Eastern Asia and veterinary care at a sanctuary in Thailand

Research

Definitely going to be a hurdle. How has the trend gone though? Have you been doing better in the last 45 and just had a bad first go? If so, that can help. You would have to apply smart and look at each school's cutoff. I think most are around 2.8- 3.0, so make sure you look closely at this and pay attention depending on what year you are applying because it can change from year to year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for replying ! This really helped a lot ! I think what I am going to focus on is taking science courses at my local cc so I can boost my science GPA/ last 45.

The thing about my GPA is that there are a good amount of C's and C+'s. I can't say that I didn't take college seriously because I did, however, I felt so lost. I Was first generation to attend a university and had no one up until my senior year of high school to introduce me to the world of higher education. I was new to moving away from home to go to college and it took me a lot of time to adjust to the setting as well as the workload in college. Some classes were harder than others and I felt mentally unprepared for it. However, I'm soooo ready to do my best to give myself a shot at my dream job! Anyways, thank you all for replying this really helped motivate me and give me some hope :)
Hey there, I took almost all my pre reqs, except biochem, at my local community college. Including organic chem 1 and 2! Currently in my first year at Illinois. I wouldn't worry too much unless you want to apply to some schools that don't accept 2 year school credits (I didn't apply to these, don't remember who they are) so I just recommend searching the schools you want to apply to to make sure they'll take them.

21 yr old NJ Resident

Degree:
BS Biology

Animal Exp
20 hrs Humane Society

Veterinary Exp

Research

Hi I am also a low GPA first time applicant (soon). I still have to take ochem+lab /biochem. I am also really nervous to post on here because there are not many of us in this range. So far I have found Ross U, Saint G. U, Western U, Iowa, Oregon, and Colorado (for low GPA). Since you still have physics to take Western requires 2 semesters (full year) of lectures and labs (I unfortunately didn't know that). Like everyone on here always tells me, try to get your GPA up as much as possible! Unfortunately, I don't even think I will reach a cum of 3.0 but I hope to get a decent GRE test score. One of the vets that I work with now also told me that your GPA doesn't define how good of a vet you will be and that gave me hope that one school will look through my academics and give people like us a chance :) good luck!

Hi I am also a low GPA first time applicant (soon). I still have to take ochem+lab /biochem. I am also really nervous to post on here because there are not many of us in this range. So far I have found Ross U, Saint G. U, Western U, Iowa, Oregon, and Colorado (for low GPA). Since you still have physics to take Western requires 2 semesters (full year) of lectures and labs (I unfortunately didn't know that). Like everyone on here always tells me, try to get your GPA up as much as possible! Unfortunately, I don't even think I will reach a cum of 3.0 but I hope to get a decent GRE test score. One of the vets that I work with now also told me that your GPA doesn't define how good of a vet you will be and that gave me hope that one school will look through my academics and give people like us a chance :) good luck!
Just FYI none of you should ever be nervous to post on here. What some of us have to say may not be very encouraging and perhaps not what you want to hear, but we are all here to help and give advice. None of us want to bite your heads off and although sometimes we can be snarky none of us are intentionally ill willed or vicious. We are just giving advice off our experiences and what we know, you could apply and get in even if we all said it's doubtful. It all depends on the admissions cycle and committee you're dealing with that year.

Definitely always check with the schools for their GPA cut offs. Ross, SGU, and Western I know are all great for accepting lower GPAs. Iowa is great for looking at science and last 45. I don't know much about Oregon. However, I would be weary of applying to Colorado if your GPA is below a 3.2. Although CSU does take a more holistic approach there is a section on their website that if you're under a 3.2 you undergo early academic review and their website says "few applicants are admitted with a GPA below 3.2." Also if you're an OSS there are a ton of people OSS that apply so that also lowers a person's chances (last cycle 1799 people were OSS).
Understanding the DVM Entrance Evaluation Process

The part about GPA doesn't define you is true. How great a vet you'll be is dependent on you, so keep trekking and if things don't work out there are always things like graduate programs that can also help boost GPA if that's the hurdle between you and vet school.

Just FYI none of you should ever be nervous to post on here. What some of us have to say may not be very encouraging and perhaps not what you want to hear, but we are all here to help and give advice. None of us want to bite your heads off and although sometimes we can be snarky none of us are intentionally ill willed or vicious. We are just giving advice off our experiences and what we know, you could apply and get in even if we all said it's doubtful. It all depends on the admissions cycle and committee you're dealing with that year.

Definitely always check with the schools for their GPA cut offs. Ross, SGU, and Western I know are all great for accepting lower GPAs. Iowa is great for looking at science and last 45. I don't know much about Oregon. However, I would be weary of applying to Colorado if your GPA is below a 3.2. Although CSU does take a more holistic approach there is a section on their website that if you're under a 3.2 you undergo early academic review and their website says "few applicants are admitted with a GPA below 3.2." Also if you're an OSS there are a ton of people OSS that apply so that also lowers a person's chances (last cycle 1799 people were OSS).

The part about GPA doesn't define you is true. How great a vet you'll be is dependent on you, so keep trekking and if things don't work out there are always things like graduate programs that can also help boost GPA if that's the hurdle between you and vet school.

Thank you for explaining about the Colorado situation! I appreciate this in-depth response and by no means have I ever felt someone was vicious to me. I just mean that I don't see a lot of people on here with similar GPA's post on here and it is a bit discouraging /: but I'm thankful that this support system is available because everyone is always really helpful either way :)

Hi everyone! I need some feedback, specially with my GRE.:( I am planning on retaking it, but since my first attempt was on July 29th I have to wait 21 days to retake it. I think that would be on August 20th. Thank you so much in advance!!

I am a 23 year old female, moving out to Indiana on August 10th, so hopefully I will be evaluated with the in-state cohort.
I was born and brought up in Puerto Rico. I graduated this year and will be a first time applicant.

Applying to: Cornell, Missouri, Purdue, UF, CSU, Iowa, NCS

Bachelors on Integrative Biology.

Cumulative GPA: ~ 3.9 VMCAS (3.88 transcript)
Science GPA: ~ 3.9 VMCAS
Last 45 GPA: 3.89 VMCAS

GRE: Q: 148 V: 152 W: (I still haven't received the scores)

Veterinary Experience (752)
- 664 Small animal clinic 664 hours
- 88 CPRC “Caribbean Primate Research Center” (I worked with non-human primates taking blood samples, giving them their vaccine shots and bathing the baby primates.)

Animal Experience (127)
- 104 Center of manatee Conservation (Prepared food and fed the manatees every morning. I also kept an eye to the quality of the waters)
- 15 Horses (It was a shelter for horses, so I helped with the cleaning of the cages and showering them)
- 8 Cattle farm (shadowing)

Research (986)
- 8. Poster presentation at the 25th Puerto Rico Neurosciences Conference
- 20. Poster presentation at the Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) in Long Beach, CA. It was for a whole weekend
- 360. REU Internship at San Jose State University, CA (I worked with mice to see the effects of inflammation on muscle mechanical properties)
- 88. CPRC “Caribbean Primate Research Center” (I also did research here. We used to do necropsies on the primates to determine the causes of morbidity and mortality).
- 510. Ecological research of the demography and photobiology of the threatened coral Acropora cervicornis.

Extracurricular: (514)
- Suture Workshop
- 240. Organic chemistry Tutoring
- 40. Veteran’s Hospital Department of cardiology and Surgery
- 68. Biology Tutoring
- 80. General Chemistry Workshop I helped with.
- 38. Salsa dance classes.
- 8. Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico
- 40. Volunteer work needed for high school graduation.

Work Experience: (368)
- 160 Summer Job with the local government
- 48. Low Cost Pet Mobile Vaccination
- 160 Lab assistant

Honors and Awards:
- Accepted abstract and granted a travel scholarship to attend and present at SACNAS, Long Beach, CA.
- REU Program scholar, RUMBA program at San Jose State University
- Dean’s list (2012-Present)
- “Who’s who among students in American Universities and Colleges”, The National Society of Collegiate Scholars University of Puerto Rico Chapter (2014-2015)
- Editing of an Organic Chemistry school writing book.
- Acknowledgement in a PhD thesis for my work done at the ecology lab.
- Accepted and attended at the school specialized on theater “José Julián Acosta” (middle school)
- Accepted and received piano and choir classes at the Conservatory of Music of Puerto Rico, San Juan, P.R. (elementary school)

Clubs/Organizations:
- Member of the Pre-Vet Student Association (08/2014-Present)
- Member of Airam, University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus (08/2015-Present) {An organization for students who want to be doctors}
- Representative of the Natural Sciences Faculty at the General Student Council of my university (08/2016-Present)

LOR:
- DVM who I worked with
- Biology professor
- Organic chemistry professor
- Research PI

*Update

Substituted NCS with Oklahoma.

Cumulative GPA: ~ 3.88 VMCAS
Science GPA: ~ 3.9 VMCAS
Last 45 GPA: VMCAS didn't show

1st GRE: Q: 148 V: 152 W: 3.5
2nd GRE: Q: 152 (47%) V: 155 (69%) W: 4 (60%)

Veterinary Experience (872):
-120 small animals and exotics veterinary clinic (ongoing). I counted the hours until Sept 15 which was the date line for the application, but since the date changed I don't know if I should add the hours until Sept 29.

Anyone have any tips for improvement on my post? It seems to have been lost amongst the rest of the new posts. :S

Anyone have any tips for improvement on my post? It seems to have been lost amongst the rest of the new posts. :S
It is hard to do without final or at least less credits out. GPA is on the low end, and add the minimal veterinary experience right now, and you would obviously have a harder go of it. Post again when you have your final grades for this semester and you will get a better answer I imagine. Also not having the GRE makes it harder, but with some schools getting rid of this other criteria point, your GPA may be more in the spotlight if you go for those schools. Otherwise if you crush it, that would be a help. Kill this semester and keep getting quality hours is the best I can say at this point. :)

My concerns:
-Low vet experience hours. Again, I am trying to work on this by shadowing when able and next summer I plan to get a veterinary assistant position in the cities (my boyfriend and I will be moving to St. Paul once I graduate in the spring, so same town as U of M!)
-Lower GPAs. I had a few rough semesters where I was very depressed due to a bad relationship and also dealing with a very close family member dying from lymphoma (I was very active in caring for them and drove 7 hours each weekend for two months to spend time with them). I also think my study habits weren’t great then, but they have since improved.
-Leadership experience could use improvement, perhaps?

With regard to your concerns:

Low vet experience hours: Not a lot to say. Yeah, it's a bit low. So.... work on it. :) You didn't say what you're long-term goal is; make sure your 'experience' supports that. You listed 13 hours small animal - if you're planning on telling the admissions folks you want to be a SA vet (for instance), they're going to raise an eyebrow. People always talk about getting variety (and you should, and you have), but it's just as important that you have experience to back up your goal. Check with UMN VMC about volunteering and see if they have opportunities: I got a few hundred hours volunteer experience there before applying there before attending there.... It looks pretty nice if you can get an LOR from someone at VMC.

Lower GPAs: Going to be tough to do much about it now. If your recent grades support your assertion that things have improved, then it probably isn't a huge deal, though it will definitely impact your scoring with admissions folks. You really want to rock the GRE, since that's usually considered an academic criteria. You certainly can write about the relationship and your family member and whatnot, but at the end of the day - all the excuses in the world don't matter: you need to be able to prove that you can do well academically. Not saying this is YOU, but a lot of people want a free pass on past grades because of this or that or the other reason that they just couldn't possibly do well ... but for everyone trying to explain how some broken relationship got them off track, there is an A student applying who has proven they can do well. So whether it's your fault or not, whether your reasons are great or not, you have to prove you can do well. The best way you can do that is finish this semester and next semester with straight A's.

Leadership experience: Well, more is always better, but you really need to devote your time to getting straight A's and building veterinary experience.

What are my chances? I am an unconventional student so I am finding it hard to compare to everyone's amazing GPA
GPA=3.25
Sci GPA = 3.2
Pre-req GPA = 3.4

I am 31 years old and have been working full-time as a Vet-tech for the past 11 years. The most recent 6 years I have been the hospital manager of a small animal hospital. My GPA is low because I did all my college work while working full-time and having 3 kids, including a set of twins. Also have lupus and spent time in ICU with deadly blood-clot. Anyways, I'm hoping I can explain all that in my personal statement without looking like a complaining little baby making excuses for being an idiot!

My large animal experience is just from running my own fiber farm with alpacas, goats, rabbits. I do all my own vet care and have learned a lot of large animal medicine through this venture.

I know I can do the vet school work because I will not be working during vet school and my kids are finally in all day school (yay!).

I will be taking the GRE soon and hoping I do well.

Any thoughts? I feel like the dumb old vet-tech that thinks she can be a vet.........

What are my chances? I am an unconventional student so I am finding it hard to compare to everyone's amazing GPA
GPA=3.25
Sci GPA = 3.2
Pre-req GPA = 3.4

I am 31 years old and have been working full-time as a Vet-tech for the past 11 years. The most recent 6 years I have been the hospital manager of a small animal hospital. My GPA is low because I did all my college work while working full-time and having 3 kids, including a set of twins. Also have lupus and spent time in ICU with deadly blood-clot. Anyways, I'm hoping I can explain all that in my personal statement without looking like a complaining little baby making excuses for being an idiot!

My large animal experience is just from running my own fiber farm with alpacas, goats, rabbits. I do all my own vet care and have learned a lot of large animal medicine through this venture.

I know I can do the vet school work because I will not be working during vet school and my kids are finally in all day school (yay!).

I will be taking the GRE soon and hoping I do well.

Any thoughts? I feel like the dumb old vet-tech that thinks she can be a vet.........

What is your last 45 gpa? Where are you hoping to apply?

Anyways, I'm hoping I can explain all that in my personal statement without looking like a complaining little baby making excuses for being an idiot!
FYI the personal statement changed this cycle to three 1000 character (including spaces) prompts, so it's a lot more limited. Just mentioning this because you may not be aware of this change since you aren't applying yet and might not have looked into that portion in depth yet. There is the explanation statement though still.

So I'm looking for some advice here:

I'm god awful at chemistry. Here's all my prereq work so far, and it's not great
Bio: A-
Bio 2: B
Precalc: B
Chem 1: C+
Chem 2 (attempt 1): D
Chem 2 Attempt 2: C+
Physics: W

Major: Avian biology
cum GPA: 3.1
Extra cirrics/experiences: Been on rowing teams for going on 6 years, Sigma Alpha sorority, I work for the poultry diagnostic lab on campus, I have an 100 hr internship at a clydesdale farm, and about 270 hours working as a stable hand, as well as some other odd volunteer work with various vet med/animal programs that are all around 20 hours each.

I'm currently in ochem and physics, and considering withdrawing from ochem- problem is I dont want another W or another C (or worse) and I also dont want to take 5 years to graduate... I don't plan on applying to vet school for several years and I'm considering adding a minor in something either business related or environmental related to add some diversity and honestly explore other career choices.
Should I withdraw? Am I completely screwed either way? Lemme know lol

I'm god awful at chemistry. Here's all my prereq work so far, and it's not great

Extra cirrics/experiences: Been on rowing teams for going on 6 years, Sigma Alpha sorority, I work for the poultry diagnostic lab on campus, I have an 100 hr internship at a clydesdale farm, and about 270 hours working as a stable hand, as well as some other odd volunteer work with various vet med/animal programs that are all around 20 hours each.

I'm currently in ochem and physics, and considering withdrawing from ochem- problem is I dont want another W or another C (or worse) and I also dont want to take 5 years to graduate... I don't plan on applying to vet school for several years and I'm considering adding a minor in something either business related or environmental related to add some diversity and honestly explore other career choices.
so class is about to start I just wanted to ask this first, why are you struggling with chemistry? That’s definitely a good starting point, understanding where you’re struggling and why. Unfortunately chemistry doesn’t just go away in vet school. So far, I’ve noticed a lot of chemistry in my classes this year (heck, we’re currently going over osmosis and fluid laws in physiology right now) and it all builds on each other.

So I would first ask you why exactly you’re struggling so hard on chemistry.

so class is about to start I just wanted to ask this first, why are you struggling with chemistry? That’s definitely a good starting point, understanding where you’re struggling and why. Unfortunately chemistry doesn’t just go away in vet school. So far, I’ve noticed a lot of chemistry in my classes this year (heck, we’re currently going over osmosis and fluid laws in physiology right now) and it all builds on each other.

So I would first ask you why exactly you’re struggling so hard on chemistry.

Thanks for replying!
Honestly I don't hate the subject, but basicaly every semester I underestimate how much work it wilk take in the beginning and end up falling behind from the start only to end up desperately playing catch up all semester....

Thanks for replying!
Honestly I don't hate the subject, but basicaly every semester I underestimate how much work it wilk take in the beginning and end up falling behind from the start only to end up desperately playing catch up all semester....
That makes sense... have you tried tutoring yet? I know a lot of schools have tutoring programs for some of your basic sciences/ core classes. I did ochem 2 tutoring and it changed my grade from a D to a high B in a couple weeks. I wouldn't give up just because of that, but if you take it again, you need to keep it in mind. I can't tell you that you should or shouldn't apply, but you do need to seriously think about it.

Presumably, if you withdraw you still have to go back and take the class again. So how do you plan to improve your performance? It doesn't make much sense to withdraw from the course, then go back and do the exact same thing over again but hope for a better result. And if you know how you plan to improve your grades, are those steps you can take and improve your grade now without withdrawing or is the semester too far gone? These aren't really questions I can answer for you but things to think about.

Are you screwed either way? Probably not.
Obviously you should strive for the best grade you can get and take advantage of all options available to you, but if you do that and you still end up with another C... well, it's not like that has to be the end of the road. Literally half of my prereqs were Cs or below the first time I took them and here I am, sitting in vet school and doing just fine. Should you try to be me? No. Should you settle for being me? Also, no. But should you necessarily abandon all hope when your grades aren't where you want them to be? No.

That makes sense... have you tried tutoring yet? I know a lot of schools have tutoring programs for some of your basic sciences/ core classes. I did ochem 2 tutoring and it changed my grade from a D to a high B in a couple weeks. I wouldn't give up just because of that, but if you take it again, you need to keep it in mind. I can't tell you that you should or shouldn't apply, but you do need to seriously think about it.

Presumably, if you withdraw you still have to go back and take the class again. So how do you plan to improve your performance? It doesn't make much sense to withdraw from the course, then go back and do the exact same thing over again but hope for a better result. And if you know how you plan to improve your grades, are those steps you can take and improve your grade now without withdrawing or is the semester too far gone? These aren't really questions I can answer for you but things to think about.

Are you screwed either way? Probably not.
Obviously you should strive for the best grade you can get and take advantage of all options available to you, but if you do that and you still end up with another C... well, it's not like that has to be the end of the road. Literally half of my prereqs were Cs or below the first time I took them and here I am, sitting in vet school and doing just fine. Should you try to be me? No. Should you settle for being me? Also, no. But should you necessarily abandon all hope when your grades aren't where you want them to be? No.

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's given me lots to think about- After studying all day I'm about to go in and take my second exam for the class. I think I've decided to stick with the class unless I just REALLY bomb this exam- Even just in the past 48 hours I think I've learned a lot about what works for understanding material in this class. And, like you said I looked into the on campus tutoring because programs like that really helped me in bio 1 and gen chem 1 and I'd kind of forgotten about that resource- might use it for physics as well even though that class is going alright so far.
Hopefull I can come out of this semester a much better student and maybe not over-schedule myself quite as much the next time around (ha)

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's given me lots to think about- After studying all day I'm about to go in and take my second exam for the class. I think I've decided to stick with the class unless I just REALLY bomb this exam- Even just in the past 48 hours I think I've learned a lot about what works for understanding material in this class. And, like you said I looked into the on campus tutoring because programs like that really helped me in bio 1 and gen chem 1 and I'd kind of forgotten about that resource- might use it for physics as well even though that class is going alright so far.
Hopefull I can come out of this semester a much better student and maybe not over-schedule myself quite as much the next time around (ha)

Don't be afraid to talk to your professor, too. I'd often drop by my proff's open office hours or I'd schedule a time to meet with him for ~15 minutes and get help with a mechanism or whatever was giving me problems. It was so helpful. I don't know how your professor handles office hours, but if that's an option it's a tremendous resource to take advantage of.

Hello everyone! I am 27 years old and I am desperate need of advice. Should I continue trying to pursue my veterinary career goal?
Background:
B.S. in Animal Science in 2012
CVA received online in 2016 (was pursuing LVT but couldn't complete the video classes for various reasons)
Veterinary Technician for 5+ years (currently)
D Grades in Pre-Cal, Gen ChemII, OchemI, Cell Biology, and Embryology
Total 189 Credits
GPA: 3.0 I think? (a lot of classes between 3 different schools)
GRE: Verbal 140/ Quantitative 134/ Writing 2.5 (recently took it and first time)

D Grades in Pre-Cal, Gen ChemII, OchemI, Cell Biology, and Embryology
I personally can't really tell you what your chances are, but most (if not all?) schools require a C or C- in the prereqs, which I think these two are prereqs pretty much everywhere, if I'm not mistaken, with a good portion requiring both orgo I and orgo II.
What state are you a resident of, how many hours of each animal/vet/research experience do you have, and what's your last 45 GPA and science GPA? Those help people with evaluating your chances, too.

I personally can't really tell you what your chances are, but most (if not all?) schools require a C or C- in the prereqs, which I think these two are prereqs pretty much everywhere, if I'm not mistaken, with a good portion requiring both orgo I and orgo II.
What state are you a resident of, how many hours of each animal/vet/research experience do you have, and what's your last 45 GPA and science GPA? Those help people with evaluating your chances, too.
I have taken all the pre-req classes. I got a B in orgoII and D in orgoI. My major issue is the grading system and how it varies on the professor since some grade a lot harder than others. I am a resident of Texas with 5+ years (so roughly 43,800 hours of animal experience lol) as a full-time veterinary technician of a small animal practice (cats and dogs only). No research experience or other animal experience besides owning cats and dogs and brief exotic animal experiences.
My last 45 GPA is about 3.5 and I don't know what to count for my science GPA. Science classes from my main university? or my vet med classes from my CVA online?

I have taken all the pre-req classes. I got a B in orgoII and D in orgoI. My major issue is the grading system and how it varies on the professor since some grade a lot harder than others. I am a resident of Texas with 5+ years (so roughly 43,800 hours of animal experience lol) as a full-time veterinary technician of a small animal practice (cats and dogs only). No research experience or other animal experience besides owning cats and dogs and brief exotic animal experiences.
My last 45 GPA is about 3.5 and I don't know what to count for my science GPA. Science classes from my main university? or my vet med classes from my CVA online?

What SkiOtter was saying though is that for the majority of schools you will need at least a C in all of the prerequisites courses. Which means you will probably need to retake Orgo I. Possibly GenChem II and/or Cell Biology as well depending on which schools you plan on applying to.

Your science GPA will vary by school, it might just include prerequisites courses. It's probably going to vary by school but you can figure out a rough estimate on your own.

Don't be afraid to talk to your professor, too. I'd often drop by my proff's open office hours or I'd schedule a time to meet with him for ~15 minutes and get help with a mechanism or whatever was giving me problems. It was so helpful. I don't know how your professor handles office hours, but if that's an option it's a tremendous resource to take advantage of.

Yeah, I think generally he has like three or four hours a week where students come in and ask questions, but I get the impression it ends up being kind of a group activity- which could still be pretty helpful! Going to start going to that as well.

Yeah, I think generally he has like three or four hours a week where students come in and ask questions, but I get the impression it ends up being kind of a group activity- which could still be pretty helpful! Going to start going to that as well.
usually if you ask, professors will be accommodating and will be willing to meet one-on-one at other times in addition to you attending their regular office hours

See what finnick and Ski have already mentioned about the pre req grade stuff. You'll definitely have to go back and retake at least those two chem classes, as well as probably pre-calc (for most schools on the latter, though I know Illinois doesn't require it). In regards to your experience, I just wanted to add some thoughts. All your full time tech experience is certainly great, but you'll definitely want to get other animal experience, preferably in large animal. I can't speak for sure, but I feel like after a certain amount of experience (in the thousands) at a small animal clinic, it's all viewed basically on the same level, so I'm not sure that 40k hours of experience with no large animal experience would put you above someone with 2000 hours at a small animal clinic and 2000 hours working with large animals.

But your biggest roadblock right now would definitely be going back and retaking those 2/3+ classes.

Vet school isn’t impossible if you retake those classes and do well, improve your GRE (or apply to schools that don’t look at it), and apply to schools that value Last 45 over Cum GPA. Also, even if small animal is your passion (it was mine), make it a point to gain experience in another sect of the field.

Last edited:
My story is a bit unique and I am not too sure if that'll help me get in despite how I am doing academically...

I lost both of my parents and became an orphan at age 20.
I am 22 right now, going full time in undergrad while working 32 hours a week (Sometimes less). Waitress.
Obviously I am suffering with depression and due to that my school work is declining.

I have around 400 hours in job shadowing as well as volunteering; horses, feline & canine, and exotics.
So far I have a 2.8 GPA due to not being motivated, taking upper level biology courses.

Wanting to apply to Michigan State University (MSU).
They took out the GRE and Student Indicator Score (SIS).

I'm not too sure if I should even apply after I get my bachelors in science just to see what they say and then re-take classes at a different institution.

I am actively seeking help in student success as well as taking mediation for my depression.
I feel so lost, and I want to become a Veterinarian so badly, no one can change my mind on that... But academically I am not well-rounded... Everything else I succeed at.

My story is a bit unique and I am not too sure if that'll help me get in despite how I am doing academically...

I lost both of my parents and became an orphan at age 20.
I am 22 right now, going full time in undergrad while working 32 hours a week (Sometimes less). Waitress.
Obviously I am suffering with depression and due to that my school work is declining.

I have around 400 hours in job shadowing as well as volunteering; horses, feline & canine, and exotics.
So far I have a 2.8 GPA due to not being motivated, taking upper level biology courses.

Wanting to apply to Michigan State University (MSU).
They took out the GRE and Student Indicator Score (SIS).

I'm not too sure if I should even apply after I get my bachelors in science just to see what they say and then re-take classes at a different institution.

I am actively seeking help in student success as well as taking mediation for my depression.
I feel so lost, and I want to become a Veterinarian so badly, no one can change my mind on that... But academically I am not well-rounded... Everything else I succeed at.

What is your last 36 and science GPA? MSU doesn't look at cumulative.

I would really appreciate some feedback. Where my application is lacking is my grades. I have pretty average GRE scores, good recommendation letters (4), and many hours of diverse experiences.
EDIT: I'm at NCSU for undergrad and am a NC resident
Undergrad major: General Biology, Minor: Psychology
GRE: Verbal = 155 (69%) Quantitative =151 (43%) Writing = 3.5 (42%)
Grades: Bio 1 = B+, Bio 2 = B-
Chem 1 (inorganic) = C, Chem 1 lab = A, Orgo 1 = B, Orgo 1 lab = A-, Orgo 2 (this is where it got tough for me)= withdraw, F (lab this semester = A) (excluded from undergrad institution GPA, but regularly posted on my VMCAS), B (with lab)
Physics 1 = B-
Genetics = C (Not required by schools but my 1 credit hour lab was a B+)
Statistics = A-, Animal Nutrition = C, then A-
Currently taking Biochemistry. Scheduled to take Chem 2 and Physics 2.
Numbers: My cumulative per VMCAS is a 3.2. My undergraduate science per VMCAS (wait for the cringe) is a 2.88. Last 45 = 3.5. My veterinary experience is a little over 2100 hrs (majorly small animal practice). Animal experience = 1010 hrs (exotic, avian, shelter animals and equine). Extracurricular and volunteering = 1510 hrs. And I have worked a part-time job continuously throughout my undergrad career, part of these hours being the small animal vet hours above.
My school list: NCSU, LMU, VA/MD, ISU (Illinois), and Tennessee. I talked about my perseverance in my essays and talked about my hardship during undergrad (sudden loss of younger sibling). I have a minor in psychology and have excelled at those courses (3.9 minor GPA).
I've come to find I love pet owners, even the "challenging to please" ones. I know if I go into a career, I will aim to strengthen myself as a vet school applicant to reapply. Going into undergrad, I tried to push myself into fields like psychiatry, physician, pharmacy, ect; none of which stuck. I've considered vet tech school and find myself thinking "When will I reapply? Will these courses qualify for pre-requisites to increase my GPA? Why pay for more school when you intend on going to another and rack up more loans?, ect" I saw a post saying so and so got in off the wait-list with a 3.42 GPA, like it was such a low GPA. I can and, should I be rejected, will continue to increase my grades by retaking classes (I've already retaken one or two). I have attempted to strengthen my application as much as possible to compensate for the grades. Any feedback/ other perspectives you have for me would be wonderful.

Hey! For the "average science GPA" at MSU is it referring to overall science or pre-req science? Or maybe both?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this or if I should make another thread. However, I am curious. I have seen people comment here that it doesn't matter what undergrad school you went to in terms of your GPA, just that you did well. This is contradictory to advice I have heard about medical school (when I thought I might go that route, like 5 years ago). My dad worked at a medical school and I had an informal interview with one of his colleagues who was on admissions for the medical school. She said your GPA was taken into consideration with the level of rigor of the individual school. That a 3.7 at a state school would be viewed differently than a 3.7 at a LAC or a 3.7 at an Ivy. This makes sense to me, because it can be much more difficult to obtain good grades at certain schools that don't have as much grade inflation. However, this doesn't seem to be the case for vet med. On one hand, I understand it because a lot of people can save money going to CC. At the same time, I think I would be frustrated if I had gone to a really rigorous school and had achieved a decent but not phenomenal GPA and yet I was being beat out by people who had achieved good grades at a lesser school. Also, I do feel a rigorous undergrad could prepare a student better for vet school's difficulty, but we all may be equally unprepared, lol! What do you think?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this or if I should make another thread. However, I am curious. I have seen people comment here that it doesn't matter what undergrad school you went to in terms of your GPA, just that you did well. This is contradictory to advice I have heard about medical school (when I thought I might go that route, like 5 years ago). My dad worked at a medical school and I had an informal interview with one of his colleagues who was on admissions for the medical school. She said your GPA was taken into consideration with the level of rigor of the individual school. That a 3.7 at a state school would be viewed differently than a 3.7 at a LAC or a 3.7 at an Ivy. This makes sense to me, because it can be much more difficult to obtain good grades at certain schools that don't have as much grade inflation. However, this doesn't seem to be the case for vet med. On one hand, I understand it because a lot of people can save money going to CC. At the same time, I think I would be frustrated if I had gone to a really rigorous school and had achieved a decent but not phenomenal GPA and yet I was being beat out by people who had achieved good grades at a lesser school. Also, I do feel a rigorous undergrad could prepare a student better for vet school's difficulty, but we all may be equally unprepared, lol! What do you think?
I remember there being a discussion on this somewhere else. In my experience, the community college I went to (junior college) was MUCH MORE rigorous than any of the four year universities I attended. I've spoken to other students who have had similar experiences. All of my lower-division science prerequisites were taken at a junior college. While some schools may look at grades in this way, it did not affect me one bit in the application process. In fact, I might say that those who attended the junior college I attended might be at a disadvantage. The number of drop-outs in my classes sometimes reached up to 50% due to the fail rate on exams (much more difficult exams than those I have ever taken at a high-level four-year university). There were definitely pre-vet students in my classes. In other words, the name of the universities I attended did not seem to play a role in the application process, at least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.