2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if you can get in-state tuition here after a year? I haven't even interviewed here yet but I'm just wondering.

I interviewed here last week and it didn't seem like it, unless you got married or something like that. Apparently you have to be here for a reason other than school to establish residency. Or at least that's what my tour guide told me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed here last week and it didn't seem like it, unless you got married or something like that. Apparently you have to be here for a reason other than school to establish residency. Or at least that's what my tour guide told me.

This was the same thing I gathered when I interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn just got the email for alternate list...interviewed 11/18

when is an appropriate time to call to ask what third I am in if I received the email today? @rukia013 @mcatjelly or anyone who has called!

Last edited:

when is an appropriate time to call to ask what third I am in if I received the email today? @rukia013 @mcatjelly or anyone who has called!

Interviewed the same day now I'm nervous! I wonder if they send acceptances, waitlists, and rejections at the same time.

Also sorry for the random reply..at least I don't think I've ever posted in this thread, just creeped haha.

I think they include third placement information in the wait list e-mail
nah they dont...but i think the position youre in matters more later since it is so fluid and you can move up or down as more people are interviewed throughout the cycle...if thats how it works lol

Last edited:

You can call whenever! I called the day I got my waitlist notification.

nah they dont...but i think the position youre in matters more later since it is so fluid and you can move up or down as more people are interviewed throughout the cycle...if thats how it works lol

You don't actually move up/down! But when someone turns down an acceptance, they try to accept someone off the waitlist from a similar background/demographic and will run through the middle and bottom thirds if they don't find someone who fits that background in the first.

Reactions: 1 users
Just called. IS with a 66 LizzyM and strong connection to Hampton Roads. II was November 18th. Waitlisted 4:30pm December 21st. Upper 1/3rd. I was told they take update letters but to not send them too often. Apparently some people send one every week... Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called, the lady said I could only move up on the waitlist with a new mcat lol which I thought was a bit strange since I have a 511...but I think she meant it generally and to basically say the position doesn't move as others have stated. She also said that they take from all over the WL with the most movement taking place after the interview season!

Yea I've seen plenty in the prior years' forums get selected from different parts of the list. I think EVMS does a points system and all the points are locked in except if one were to retake the mcat so that makes sense.

Yea I've seen plenty in the prior years' forums get selected from different parts of the list. I think EVMS does a points system and all the points are locked in except if one were to retake the mcat so that makes sense.
Oh I see...yeah that makes sense then!

Has anyone received any recent acceptances or rejections? I feel like the WL hammer has just been coming down on everyone.

Last edited:
Just got rejected pre-II.

Oh well, I knew the II streak had to end somewhere.

does anyone know if after M1 you can become an IS student and pay IS tuition for M2-M4? some other public schools do this and i am trying to see if it is worth spending the money to interview here when i received a scholarship from a different school

does anyone know if after M1 you can become an IS student and pay IS tuition for M2-M4? some other public schools do this and i am trying to see if it is worth spending the money to interview here when i received a scholarship from a different school
Nope, they said at my interview that it doesn't work that way. Unless you join the military or get married I think?

Nope, they said at my interview that it doesn't work that way. Unless you join the military or get married I think?
Thanks for the reply!! Also, how did you feel about the area surrounding the school? Any big take aways from their presentation on the curriculum (things that might actually be different than other schools) ?

Thanks for the reply!! Also, how did you feel about the area surrounding the school? Any big take aways from their presentation on the curriculum (things that might actually be different than other schools) ?
I thought Norfolk seemed like a really neat little city! A good mix of downtown restaurant/bar scene, but also some quaint residential areas. The children's hospital, which is on the same campus, was so cool.
One thing that stood out to me about their curriculum was the emphasis on learning ultrasound, since this seems to be a growing trend in medical practice for various reasons. I also really liked their service learning opportunities. Out of state tuition is a bit scary though :eek:

Just called admissions to check on my status and there isn't any update. I interviewed November 18th.

II this morning! OOS, complete 11/18, but they were waiting on my last rec letter

Really torn about interviewing here, on the one hand, I want to go and experience it for myself. But at the same time, OOS tuition is so damn expensive, and I have been accepted to another school with a scholarship :/ Does EVMS give scholarships?

I've lived in Hampton Roads for 7 years now and love it.

They actually just started a new curriculum. They use NBME exams (which they believe is responsible for the large increase in Step 1 scores over the last few years.) There's a huge emphasis on ultrasound and you start with standardized patients during the first month.

http://www.evms.edu/education/medical_programs/doctor_of_medicine/care_forward_curriculum_2016/

II this morning! OOS, complete 11/18, but they were waiting on my last rec letter

Really torn about interviewing here, on the one hand, I want to go and experience it for myself. But at the same time, OOS tuition is so damn expensive, and I have been accepted to another school with a scholarship :/ Does EVMS give scholarships?

https://www.evms.edu/education/fina...nstitutional_scholarships/school_of_medicine/

They have a variety of need and merit scholarships, but the current students said that most of the awards are pretty small. They also said that financial aid awards probably won't be released until July or so.

I know this is a bit premature but I am going crazy: has anyone heard anything from early December interviews?

I know this is a bit premature but I am going crazy: has anyone heard anything from early December interviews?

The adcoms are just now returning to apps after a two week break, so I'd hang tight for a bit. :)

Waitlisted today, interviewed 11/18.

Does anyone know how to send application updates? Is there a general admissions email?

I am in the same exact boat !!! I haven't heard of any scholarships so don't think I'm going to interview here. I've done four interviews and would have four more so I'm trying to be selective. The other few I have left do give scholarships so that's the biggest factor right now

Can I ask what your stats are?

Yes, definitely! MCAT 510 GPA (both cumulative and science) 3.7
I will say my interview was a tad awkward, though there was some good conversation. Just called and was told I am in the middle third of the waitlist.

I will say my interview was a tad awkward, though there was some good conversation. Just called and was told I am in the middle third of the waitlist.

I might've missed this, but are you in state or out of state?

How did you find out you were on the waitlist? Email? I interviewed 11/18 and haven't heard from them.

How did you find out you were on the waitlist? Email? I interviewed 11/18 and haven't heard from them.
you get an email saying youre on the "alternate list" and then can call to see which third of the list youre on

For those who got in did you feel your interview went perfectly or were there some questions where you feel like you got tripped up on?

Another reminder to those who are on the waitlist: I came off the waitlist, most of my friends came off the waitlist, many other peers I've talked to came off the waitlist. It definitely sucks not knowing what next year holds until early spring/summer, but the waitlist is far from a death sentence. And your chances are really quite good if you're on the upper-third!

I might've missed this, but are you in state or out of state?

I'm in-state (rough waitlist life merh)

And yes, @ls2892 through email. Maybe if you haven't heard yet it's good news! Crossing fingers for ya!

Last edited:
I'm in-state (rough waitlist life merh)

And yes, @ls2892 through email. Maybe if you haven't heard yet it's good news! Crossing fingers for ya!
Thank you! Here's hoping!

Another reminder to those who are on the waitlist: I came off the waitlist, most of my friends came off the waitlist, many other peers I've talked to came off the waitlist. It definitely sucks not knowing what next year holds until early spring/summer, but the waitlist is far from a death sentence. And your chances are really quite good if you're on the upper-third!
But how many of your previously wait-listed classmates came off of the IS waitlist?

I don't have an exact number, but I and several others in my social circle are IS. Of course one's chances are better as an OOSer.