2018-2019 Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else slightly uncomfortable with how Dartmouth has taken a pretty significant hit, and continues to decline, in overall rankings over the past few years?

To be clear, rankings are not everything- by any means. But they are definitely a factor (if not just perception), which is why schools trumpet them all over whenever they rise a few spots. I only hope that this is not an indicator of overall decline in the school's quality and reputation. Thoughts?
As long as their match list continues to be on par with the T20s they can be ranked dead last in research and I wouldn't think twice about heading to Hanover. Matching competitively is, after all, the reason for choosing a school based on rank.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As long as their match list continues to be on par with the T20s they can be ranked dead last in research and I wouldn't think twice about heading to Hanover. Matching competitively is, after all, the reason for choosing a school based on rank.

That is what I am thinking also, I'm just uncomfortable with the downward trend I guess. But you're right, we will see on Friday!

Reactions: 1 user
Are we thinking they may release some decisions tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is 100% just from anecdotal experience but I'm guessing the reason is mostly because of the location. A lot of people I've met either don't want to go to school at Dartmouth or don't want to work there because it's in the middle of nowhere. Even their undergrad rankings have gone down. I also heard at some of my interviews in big citys (NYC, DC, LA) that they get quite a bit of money from famous (wealthy) people who live there. Founder of Coca-Cola donated money to Emory, politicians have donated to GWU, hollywood people to LA schools, business people to NYC schools, Zuckerberg donated money to UCSF affiliates, etc. Dartmouth probably doesn't have the same kind of pull because it's in one of the least populated states.

Personally for me the location is a huge plus because housing is super expensive in big cities and I want to minimize debt as much as possible. Maybe Dartmouth could be on a decline but it won't change drastically over just the next four years. I doubt it's anything to worry about

That's funny because even with housing consideration, Dartmouth is more expensive than my other options that are in NYC, LA.

I got accepted back in November, but I was emailed my acceptance in the morning (9 AM CST) in case anyone was wondering what time they could be sent out. I wish the best for you all and hope to hear good news on this thread soon!

Is it pretty easy to get a student host for an interview here? Where do most people stay during their interviews? Considering whether or not to accept an interview here because of the cost (flight + hotel + coming from far away)...

I personally wasn't able to get a host, but I've found that across schools in general it's been harder to get a host in February/March than it was in September/October. Which is understandable, as it's such a long interview season to keep hosting applicants!

Is it pretty easy to get a student host for an interview here? Where do most people stay during their interviews? Considering whether or not to accept an interview here because of the cost (flight + hotel + coming from far away)...

I wasn’t able to find a student host and had to book a hotel for two nights due to flight schedules.

I was able to get a student host within a couple of hours of requesting one. It might depend on how far in advance you request and if students have exams that week.

Accepted today via email! Interviewed on 3/7

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else slightly uncomfortable with how Dartmouth has taken a pretty significant hit, and continues to decline, in overall rankings over the past few years?

To be clear, rankings are not everything- by any means. But they are definitely a factor (if not just perception), which is why schools trumpet them all over whenever they rise a few spots. I only hope that this is not an indicator of overall decline in the school's quality and reputation. Thoughts?

:whistle::cigar:

2019_1.png

2019_2.png

2019_3.png

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like residency is more dependent on student performance more than the school’s reputation

Anyone else get any decision today?

It seems like residency is more dependent on student performance more than the school’s reputation

I think this is mostly true.

If you're at a HMS/Stanford type of place, you undeniably get a big boost from school reputation. If you're at an unranked school, you're likely climbing out of a hole to some extent. For everybody in the middle, it's kind of a wash.

Also important to keep in mind that not everybody wants to go to a super academic place like MGH/Hopkins anyways. I think Geisel's match list is all the more impressive given that so many students here are explicitly NOT gunning for those top spots, and spend their time working on public health projects/etc instead of cranking out research.

I interviewed 1/24 and haven't gotten any emails yet. Is this indicative of an R?

Haha, I watched this live. Excellent as usual. Also, what an awesome response Grainagainst. Real mic-drop moment right there. :cool:

I mean I can't blame you - I also obsessed over US News rankings when picking what school to attend, and it sure would be nice if ours would stop dropping... But clearly there is more to the story.

Does anyone know when they release financial aid awards?

How long after being accepted were you invited into the FB group?

Does anyone know when they release financial aid awards?
Called today. They are getting to the financial aid apps this week and should distribute awards by the end of the month. I would suggest calling to make sure they have all the required info for you. No need to be bashful!

When do you guys think the rest of us will hear back? Nov interview here

If I’m awaiting to hear back and I’ve been procrastinating the CSS thing should I do that now? How much of a pain is it?

When do you guys think the rest of us will hear back? Nov interview here
Looking at last years thread, I’m thinking/hoping starting the first week of April. Quite a few people got good news April 6th

If I’m awaiting to hear back and I’ve been procrastinating the CSS thing should I do that now? How much of a pain is it?
I filled out the CSS forms, but have been waiting on my admissions decision to submit because of the $25 fee. There is quite a lot of info required that may take you some time, so I would recommend getting a jump start on it if Geisel is on your list still. I believe all financial paperwork needs to be submitted by the 1st of April. I might give the office a call tomorrow to see what they recommend doing.

I filled out the CSS forms, but have been waiting on my admissions decision to submit because of the $25 fee. There is quite a lot of info required that may take you some time, so I would recommend getting a jump start on it if Geisel is on your list still. I believe all financial paperwork needs to be submitted by the 1st of April. I might give the office a call tomorrow to see what they recommend doing.

Ooo keep us posted please!

I guess I am out of the loop. Could you explain what the CSS form is? lol

Essentially the College Board financial aid app. Like FAFSA, but more tedious
Is this something that everyone should be filling out? I interviewed in October & totally forgot about all this stuff. I filled out FAFSA and that's it. Should I be freaking out?

Is this something that everyone should be filling out? I interviewed in October & totally forgot about all this stuff. I filled out FAFSA and that's it. Should I be freaking out?
Geisel only needs it if you're applying for institutional need-based aid (at least that's what it says on the sheet they gave during the interview). Most schools don't require it at all, just a few.

Thanks for the reminder everyone. Just submitted my CSS.

Ooo keep us posted please!

They said I could hold off a week before submitting the CSS stuff. Financial aid employee said they added a couple more interview dates, so decisions have been coming out more slowly.

I would just take a look

They said I could hold off a week before submitting the CSS stuff. Financial aid employee said they added a couple more interview dates, so decisions have been coming out more slowly.

Thanks!

Does anyone know when the last interview date is/ around when the decision date is? I interviewed in October and.... ily Dartmouth

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when the last interview date is/ around when the decision date is? I interviewed in October and.... ily Dartmouth
According to their website, they end interviews on March 31st. :(

To piggyback off this guy- it took me almost a month to get in all the required docs submitted for Geisel post-acceptance because it was more than other schools. If Geisel is somewhere you want to be I'd recommend looking at their website to make sure you have all the stuff for them.

That said- I don't think they've sent out any financial aid packages yet to people who've been accepted. Do any admitted students know if they are willing to match scholarships from other institutions? I know they are only need based but I'm SES disadvantaged and Geisel is my top choice. I'm so anxious waiting to get my package so I can (hopefully) commit. Thanks

To piggyback off this guy- it took me almost a month to get in all the required docs submitted for Geisel post-acceptance because it was more than other schools. If Geisel is somewhere you want to be I'd recommend looking at their website to make sure you have all the stuff for them.

That said- I don't think they've sent out any financial aid packages yet to people who've been accepted. Do any admitted students know if they are willing to match scholarships from other institutions? I know they are only need based but I'm SES disadvantaged and Geisel is my top choice. I'm so anxious waiting to get my package so I can (hopefully) commit. Thanks
One thing I gathered from the interview (someone correct me if I am wrong because i hope i am wrong) was that every student must take out a base loan of about $45,700 before any scholarship funds are added. With that's sad, everyone who needed financial aid would at least be leaving Dartmouth with $188,000. Did others understand the same?

One thing I gathered from the interview (someone correct me if I am wrong because i hope i am wrong) was that every student must take out a base loan of about $45,700 before any scholarship funds are added. With that sad, everyone who needed financial aid would at least be leaving Dartmouth with $188,000. Did others understand the same?