2019-2020 Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!! Interviewed in Jan! So happy!!

Accepted! I loved Feinberg on my interview day, so super excited about this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else's portal not working right now? The page isn't loading for me

Waitlisted as well.

I heard that Feinberg accepts 70%, but that seems questionable given that not THAT many people have been accepted so far on this thread and Feinberg's reported matriculation rate (18%) seems pretty average. Thoughts?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Can't wait to move to Chicago now!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Accepted :)
They don't reject anyone post interview do they? Everyone goes on Waitlist if not accepted?

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
A!!! So excited to come back home :)))) I want to accept my spot but is the portal down for anyone else?

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted! RIP to my neuroticism*

*regarding this school at least

Have any MSTPers heard back today (either deferred from the first wave or more recently interviewed)? Portal is down and I'm s t r e s s e d lol

hello feinberg after crying for the last 2 hours i am now ready to accept the waitlist offer so fix ur portal please and THANKS

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Got hit with that post interview R, which means I must have really blown it because it seems like everyone else was WL or A, pretty disappointed because this was a school I was really excited about. Goodluck to everyone and congrats to those WL and accepted! Things don’t work out the way you want to so be grateful for what you’re given

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Accepted. The ghost page conspiracy theories were a bunch of cr*p. I am pretty sure they have some separate program/interview process that drags their post-acceptance rate up. Everybody interviewing at Feinberg has the stats to get into any medical school in the country... with uncertainty surrounding the new traffic rules I am sure there will be some waitlist movement. Good luck to all. Peace and love. Also, their application portal is down.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted. The ghost page conspiracy theories were a bunch of cr*p. I am pretty sure they have some separate program/interview process that drags their post-acceptance rate up. Everybody interviewing at Feinberg has the stats to get into any medical school in the country... with uncertainty surrounding the new traffic rules I am sure there will be some waitlist movement. Good luck to all. Peace and love. Also, their application portal is down.
I think it may be their BS/MD program. I think those applicants are counted twice or something like that (just like with Brown, their actual acceptance is like half of what is reported on the spreadsheet)

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone still having difficulty accepting the waitlist on the portal? Everything loads but when I submit it I get an error

Do we need to apply for merit scholarships at Feinberg or are we automatically considered?

Has anyone else who was defferred in January not heard back yet?

M3 here. Ask me anything in DM!

Seems from your post history that Northwestern may be a cutthroat environment (as opposed to collaborative), particularly during clinical years. Can you speak on that? Any changes since then?

Also seems that you picked Northwestern over Vandy - what played into your decision?

Seems from your post history that Northwestern may be a cutthroat environment (as opposed to collaborative), particularly during clinical years. Can you speak on that? Any changes since then?

Also seems that you picked Northwestern over Vandy - what played into your decision?

Not sure which of my previous post made you think NU is a cutthroat environment, but my experience has been always collaborative. M1/2 year is P/F as you know so there's no point of being cutthroat. There are classmates making study guides, anki card decks, etc. Upper classmen also help out with these as well. M3 year is graded but even then, 35-60% people end up honoring a given clerkship, and you're not graded against each other, so there's no point of being a competitive gunner. Most of my classmates I worked with as co students on rotations were very pleasant to work with. I haven't had a gunner co student but residents/attendings are good at recognizing them as well. They were medical students at one point after all.

NU over Vandy bc of city environment, better financial aid package, no need for car

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure which of my previous post made you think NU is a cutthroat environment, but my experience has been always collaborative. M1/2 year is P/F as you know so there's no point of being cutthroat. There are classmates making study guides, anki card decks, etc. Upper classmen also help out with these as well. M3 year is graded but even then, 35-60% people end up honoring a given clerkship, and you're not graded against each other, so there's no point of being a competitive gunner. Most of my classmates I worked with as co students on rotations were very pleasant to work with. I haven't had a gunner co student but residents/attendings are good at recognizing them as well. They were medical students at one point after all.

NU over Vandy bc of city environment, better financial aid package, no need for car

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was alluding to a post “Northwestern Feinberg Environment”, which confused me a bit, but I suppose it’s a bit old.

One more q, how do you and students in general feel about grading during clinical years? How much do shelves/evals/luck weigh on one’s ability to receive honors/high pass? With step going P/F (and tbh I haven’t thought too much about this), I guess clinical grades would gain even more importance. But how arbitrary are they, if at all?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was alluding to a post “Northwestern Feinberg Environment”, which confused me a bit, but I suppose it’s a bit old.

One more q, how do you and students in general feel about grading during clinical years? How much do shelves/evals/luck weigh on one’s ability to receive honors/high pass? With step going P/F (and tbh I haven’t thought too much about this), I guess clinical grades would gain even more importance. But how arbitrary are they, if at all?
Each student has a very fair chance at honoring in clinical totally independent of other students. As a student, you’ll have a pretty good idea how you are doing in a clinical, which would impact whether you ask for an LoR if you were outstanding.

• Okay...
Each student has a very fair chance at honoring in clinical totally independent of other students. As a student, you’ll have a pretty good idea how you are doing in a clinical, which would impact whether you ask for an LoR if you were outstanding.
wait are you a med student at northwestern?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Grading in 3rd year is universally controversial in all medical schools. Just look at reddit medical school posts and you will see that most of the posts are complaining about 3rd year grading. They try to balance subjective (clinical eval) and objective (OSCE and shelf) components of the grades. Most clerkship are designed to compensate deficits in one area with others.

All I would say is that if you are a sociable and responsible person who is a team player and a good test taker, you won't have trouble with me grades.

Reactions: 4 users
Is that another word for kissing ass? Faking a smile? Honest question, no bad intended.
No that means being nice to others, making small talks to talk about how their weekends were, reading the room about when to chitchat and ask questions vs when to stay quiet, being helpful. If you have a rbf, it might be helpful to fake smile

Best of luck to everyone checking this board waiting to hear back. Know its a stressful place to be, but you guys are going to kill it.

Yeet