D
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Northwestern
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
pagingdocopp
Full Member
Holistic review is just their way of saying your app is complete and under review - I think it is being looked at, maybe sorted into different piles? Who knows. I entered holistic review on a random day early in the cycle (I submitted July 5th), and am still in holistic review! But I know others' turnaround times have been quicker 🙂 hope that helps!Couple of questions gang...what does holistic review even mean? Is my app not even being looked at rn while I wait for that? Can I only enter holistic review on Mondays? What’s the average turnaround time once you’re in holistic review? Thanks guys
Secondary submitted 7/21, still not under Holistic Review.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sadpremed121
Full Member
I’m interviewing first week of September!M1 here, congrats on those who’ve received II so far! Just curious, when do I get to start seeing you all walking around in your suits? Early September? Also, for those who haven’t gotten II yet, I got my II at the end of November!
9
907914
Any kind of review you are under will certainly NOT be holistic. Just be patient, your time will come.Secondary submitted 7/21, still not under Holistic Review.
LM 84. WARS 89. Balanced GPA 3.96
D
deleted972488
I’ll be there on 9/17M1 here, congrats on those who’ve received II so far! Just curious, when do I get to start seeing you all walking around in your suits? Early September? Also, for those who haven’t gotten II yet, I got my II at the end of November!
Medical AI
Full Member
200 words.What is the character limit for the '(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.'
juliannewman
Full Member
for the stress one, did you guys explain how you solve situations or list ways you cope w/stress (hobbies, family, etc).???
Another Monday and still not in holistic review 🙁
I talked about a stressful situation and what I learned from it that now helps me cope w stressfor the stress one, did you guys explain how you solve situations or list ways you cope w/stress (hobbies, family, etc).???
D
deleted958920
I feel this. I was complete 7/18/19 and thought for sure I'd see a check in that review box today. My naivety strikes again.Another Monday and still not in holistic review 🙁
Edit: The check mark is there! Finally, I can't wait... to wait some more.
Last edited by a moderator:
juliannewman
Full Member
how long after submitting the secondary, was the check box marked for secondary received? also what does holitisitc review mean here?
D
deleted996731
Buckle in my guyhow long after submitting the secondary, was the check box marked for secondary received? also what does holitisitc review mean here?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
juliannewman
Full Member
LMAOOO, aite i gotchu, ill check back in in late sepBuckle in my guy
How are you guys getting to campus from O'Hare? Are most of you Uber-ing/Lyft-ing?
D
deleted972488
That was my plan.Are most of you Uber-ing/Lyft-ing?
If you would like to save some money, the blue line goes directly from O'Hare to a couple blocks from Northwestern for $5. Depending on traffic, it can be faster, too.
just a bit more info for the people traveling in- the blue line doesn't go very near northwestern but agreed it is wayyyyy cheaper (uber pools can be like 30+ sometimes) to take than an uber for sure. So if you have the time, and would like to discover chicago's public transportation, I would take the blue line but you will either have to uber or transfer trains at some point. Anyone is free to PM me if you need help navigating or more specifics!
D
deleted994247
I would take the blue line
agreed, but I'd warn people that the tricky part for first-timers is transferring from the blue line onto the bus. make sure you know how to find the bus stop, and be prepared to wait up to 20 minutes for it to arrive.
D
deleted972488
If you would like to save some money, the blue line goes directly from O'Hare to a couple blocks from Northwestern for $5. Depending on traffic, it can be faster, too.
just a bit more info for the people traveling in- the blue line doesn't go very near northwestern but agreed it is wayyyyy cheaper (uber pools can be like 30+ sometimes) to take than an uber for sure. So if you have the time, and would like to discover chicago's public transportation, I would take the blue line but you will either have to uber or transfer trains at some point. Anyone is free to PM me if you need help navigating or more specifics!
Thank you all for this information... given my circumstances I will probably just take an uber.agreed, but I'd warn people that the tricky part for first-timers is transferring from the blue line onto the bus. make sure you know how to find the bus stop, and be prepared to wait up to 20 minutes for it to arrive.
D
deleted996731
Interesting so it’s not only on Mondays. Good to knowfinally in holistic review. secondary complete 7/17
Hopefully that means that me and my 7/23 are gonna get the holistic treatment soonfinally in holistic review. secondary complete 7/17
D
deleted972488
Your “holistic” review and II are coming soon to an email inbox near you. Northwestern seems to be very into the LGBT (and high stats).Hopefully that means that me and my 7/23 are gonna get the holistic treatment soon
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted958920
This is good to hear!Your “holistic” review and II are coming soon to an email inbox near you. Northwestern seems to be very into the LGBT (and high stats).
Your “holistic” review and II are coming soon to an email inbox near you. Northwestern seems to be very into the LGBT (and high stats).
I think this is a large part of why I got an MSTP II!!! lgbt + high MCAT at least haha
D
deleted972488
Did you also get the “Reach OUT” message on your portal?I think this is a large part of why I got an MSTP II!!! lgbt + high MCAT at least haha
how long after submitting the secondary, was the check box marked for secondary received? also what does holitisitc review mean here?
So is it about a month give/take?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
juliannewman
Full Member
yup!So is it about a month give/take?
For "Discuss a current unanswered questions in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it" in the MSTP application, what do people believe is the type of "unanswered question" they're looking for?
I wrote an essay about a specific problem in drug resistance in a certain type of cancer and which experiments I'd like to see done to answer that specific question, but I've gotten feedback from my scientifically-trained friend that the essay is too specific and doesn't do enough thinking about bigger questions like "how does immune system contribute to cancer?"
What are people's thoughts?
I wrote an essay about a specific problem in drug resistance in a certain type of cancer and which experiments I'd like to see done to answer that specific question, but I've gotten feedback from my scientifically-trained friend that the essay is too specific and doesn't do enough thinking about bigger questions like "how does immune system contribute to cancer?"
What are people's thoughts?
Tomorrow's our day. I'm almost willing to bet on it.I was browsing through last years thread and it seems like holistic review is chronological by complete date. Complete on 7/21 but still no holistic review. I’ll keep checking for all of us neurotic ones 😉
the_expert
Full Member
Congrats!II!! One of my first choices. OOS, submitted 7/16, marked for review on 8/14
II earlier
II earlier
+1
Does anyone know if you stay in holistic review until you either get an II or they release your application at the end of the cycle, or do they reject?
the_expert
Full Member
+1Does anyone know if you stay in holistic review until you either get an II or they release your application at the end of the cycle, or do they reject?
I'm complete 7/25 and still not in review. Maybe next week...
+1I'm complete 7/25 and still not in review. Maybe next week...
I'm glad it was your day 🙂Congrats guys with interview!!!!
In other news I just got on holistic review. Complete 7/22. @Enterococcus you were right b, Monday was the day
Me and my 7/23 are still not holistic yet.
9
907914
Submitting the primary or had it verified?Anyone else experiencing a wait before receiving the secondary? For me, its been 8 days so far from submitting my primary to FSOM.
the_expert
Full Member
been in holistic for two weeks now? is this a R?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
Been in holistic for over a month. Certainly hoping not an R.been in holistic for two weeks now? is this a R?
pagingdocopp
Full Member
I've been in holistic for 6 weeks. Not an R until it's an R!been in holistic for two weeks now? is this a R?
hey, would you mind sharing your source for this info please? sad non trad hereThey are not very friendly to non-trads, their class is predominantly their own undergrads and traditional applicants.
9
907914
From MSAR, a high number of students with no volunteering, shadowing, or paid employment suggests both young applicants and many BS/MD folks. Also, less than 20% of their class is older than 24 suggesting few gap years and even fewer real nontrads.hey, would you mind sharing your source for this info please? sad non trad here
Attachments
This link says that 19% of students are admitted through early entry pathways (HPME and NUPSP), which personally doesn't sound like a lot but is a significant portion.hey, would you mind sharing your source for this info please? sad non trad here
That being said, *chuckles* because I'm a "traditional applicant"
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 435K