2019-2020 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn’t be surprised tbh. It could be that the committee decided on 2/7 for some people. Which could explain why some have it listed in status but others don’t. And the email means off the WL for those reviewed on 2/7. As I type this I realize this theory could either be big brain or the complete email fiasco over again lol.

It can also be that maybe the As and WLs are being recorded by admissions, and Pitt is just being open about what they put in our files

Anything is a maybe at this point tbh

Members don't see this ad.

Wait so did not everyone get that email? I got a physical letter that said I was waitlisted, don’t think I’ll be coming off this quickly lol
Nope no email or status update of a “committee decision”. I’m curious what decision took place on 2/7 so although it’s unlikely it’s this quick something happened

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the letter, but no email. Am also on the WL

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t be surprised tbh. It could be that the committee decided on 2/7 for some people. Which could explain why some have it listed in status but others don’t. And the email means off the WL for those reviewed on 2/7. As I type this I realize this theory could either be big brain or the complete email fiasco over again lol.
but I don't have the committee decision and I got the email

Hmm interesting. I got a letter in the mail for WL spot, no email. When my account was deactivated, I sent the admissions team an email and they said it was reactivated (maybe I beat them to the email?). In any case, I think we have another CONSPIRACY on our hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On WL, got reactivation email, no decision document, haven’t received a letter in the mail. Pitt is going to give me an aneurysm.

Hi everyone, on WL, got reactivation email, with a 2/7 decision document

Conspiracy theory: On 2/7 I received an email that since the PSTP application deadline has passed and I started the application without finishing it that my PSTP application status will now appear as rejected

Could the PSTP rejection possibly be the decision document with the same 2/7 date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, on WL, got reactivation email, with a 2/7 decision document

Conspiracy theory: On 2/7 I received an email that since the PSTP application deadline has passed and I started the application without finishing it that my PSTP application status will now appear as rejected

Could the PSTP rejection possibly be the decision document with the same 2/7 date?
I don't have a committee decision document but received the PSTP rejection for not having it completed. So I think they are separate

Reactions: 2 users
I don't have a committee decision document but received the PSTP rejection for not having it completed. So I think they are separate
Were you WL’d aswell?

I was WL’d with no PSTP rejection and no committee decision document

Yep, I was waitlisted. Did you finish the PSTP app?
Yes, I finished it but haven’t heard word about it

I wonder if accepted students have committee decision documents in their portal. Could any As chime in?

Edit: trying to “solve” these conspiracies is fun

Last edited:
+1

I also had the

I wonder if accepted students have committee decision documents in their portal. Could any As chime in?

I also had the committee decisions document pop up in my portal a couple days after being accepted.

On WL, no decision document, but received letter in the mail, no reactivation email

On WL, received letter in the mail, got reactivation email and have committee decision document from 02/07

A here, no committee decision documents, no email, no change to AMPUP login....

I wouldn’t read into the physical WL letter too much. It’s possible some take longer than others to arrive, and some could get lost in the mail...

Reactions: 3 users
WL. No reactivation email. Let the second waive conspiracy/Pitt neuroticism begin....

Edit:
I do see a committee decision document from Feb 07. It's under the same category with the photo they took on the interview day. But still no reactivation email though.

Last edited:
WL, letter in the mail, no deactivation email or portal letter

My account was deactivated yesterday and I got the ampup login email. My portal now has the PREP application so that could explain the deactivation. My committee decision is dated 1/29 and I was accepted. I think maybe some people’s portals deactivating could have something to do with WL movement tbh

Reactions: 3 users
My account was deactivated yesterday and I got the ampup login email. My portal now has the PREP application so that could explain the deactivation. My committee decision is dated 1/29 and I was accepted. I think maybe some people’s portals deactivating could have something to do with WL movement tbh
I feel like this would be too early for WL movement, but fingers crossed...

I got WL, mail letter, committee decision status, no email.

What do I think?: that I was screened to be taken off waitlist and didn't make it the first WL round, hence the committee decision

I just checked my portal on the desktop site, and the committee decision letter was on there. I also got a very nice letter in the mail saying they would continue considering my application in the spring. I don’t see why they would say that on the WL letter if they had screened out some of us.

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted!

I'm a current medical student here at Pitt - happily down to answer any questions you anyone may have about Pitt and attending med school here.

Good luck with your final decision because it's an important one!
I have a few questions about living options in Pittsburgh:

1. Where do most of the med students live? Do they mostly live in apartments? If so, what are the best places to look at? Is there a guide that will give us more info?
2. Is there parking available for med students at the medical school (garage or open lot)? Is there somewhere online that will provide more details about student parking options?
3. How do most of the med students get to the medical school? (i.e. do they drive, walk, etc.)

Thanks so much in advance! Its a little overwhelming trying to find my best options for moving to Pittsburgh so I'd really appreciate you help!

To those of you who have gotten an admissions decision on 2/7, how do you navigate the portal to find it?

Its on the status page, under documents (where the photo we took during interview day shows up).

I have a few questions about living options in Pittsburgh:

1. Where do most of the med students live? Do they mostly live in apartments? If so, what are the best places to look at? Is there a guide that will give us more info?
2. Is there parking available for med students at the medical school (garage or open lot)? Is there somewhere online that will provide more details about student parking options?
3. How do most of the med students get to the medical school? (i.e. do they drive, walk, etc.)

Thanks so much in advance! Its a little overwhelming trying to find my best options for moving to Pittsburgh so I'd really appreciate you help!

Roughly 1/3 of the M1’s live in Darragh, an on-campus dorm for medical and dental students. It looks just like a college dorm and it’s two minutes walking to the medical school. The rest of the class lives in some neighborhoods around the school - popular neighborhoods being Shadyside and North Oakland. There is a good flow of buses to these areas so people will mostly bus from/to school. Bus system is great in Pitt. If you’re interested in the on-campus option, I’d suggest you inquire now. If you’re interested in off campus living, wait until Second Look and speak with some students.

2.There is OC Lot, which is where you’ll most likely be parking if you grab a permit - costs $90 a month.

3. Bus can get you to 90% of the places you need to go. The main hospital is directly connected to the medical school so walking for that. A car is always great if you can bring one.

WL people, just in case anyone else was wondering, below are the dates for the first reported WL to A from previous years:

2018-19: 3/1 (Friday)
2017-18: 3/5 (Monday)
2016-17: 2/24 (Friday)
2015-16: 3/3 (Thursday)
2014-15: 2/23 (Monday)

So it seems like we are essentially looking at either last week of Feb or first week of March.

Reactions: 11 users
Roughly 1/3 of the M1’s live in Darragh, an on-campus dorm for medical and dental students. It looks just like a college dorm and it’s two minutes walking to the medical school. The rest of the class lives in some neighborhoods around the school - popular neighborhoods being Shadyside and North Oakland. There is a good flow of buses to these areas so people will mostly bus from/to school. Bus system is great in Pitt. If you’re interested in the on-campus option, I’d suggest you inquire now. If you’re interested in off campus living, wait until Second Look and speak with some students.

2.There is OC Lot, which is where you’ll most likely be parking if you grab a permit - costs $90 a month.

3. Bus can get you to 90% of the places you need to go. The main hospital is directly connected to the medical school so walking for that. A car is always great if you can bring one.
What are the pros/cons of living in Darragh? Also, are there elevators and parking in Darragh? How come only 1/3 of the M1s live in Darragh (is there limited availability, or is there something lacking that attract students to other apartments)? Also, do roughly the same percentage of upperclassmen live in Darragh or do they prefer off campus?

Thanks!!!

do you guys think Pitt will change it’s curriculum since the step 1 is pass/fail now?
considering that step 2 will likely now be emphasized over step 1, i would think they would have to adjust their curriculum to emphasize clinical skills more than the basic sciences

What are the pros/cons of living in Darragh? Also, are there elevators and parking in Darragh? How come only 1/3 of the M1s live in Darragh (is there limited availability, or is there something lacking that attract students to other apartments)? Also, do roughly the same percentage of upperclassmen live in Darragh or do they prefer off campus?

Thanks!!!

Pros: Proximity
Cons: Feels like a college dorm, price can be a bit steep compared to other options in the area.

There are elevators in Darragh and there is a dedicated parking lot for Darragh. MS-1's most likely won't have access to the lot due to seniority rules. They park in a lot 5 minutes away by walking.

Mixture of reasons, some people just like living in other parts of Pittsburgh. Other neighborhoods like Shadyside and North Oakland are extremely student friendly and have more amenities. Spaces do fill up quickly in Darragh so I'd inquire soon.

There are less M3-M4's in Darragh because once clinicals come around, people tend to want their own place. I'd say that if you don't have a car, Darragh is a good choice. However, plenty of people in the class rely solely on public transit and they haven't had any problems.

do you guys think Pitt will change it’s curriculum since the step 1 is pass/fail now?

Definitely being reworked, the students received an email about it yesterday and the Dean of MedEd is having very active conversations about it with students/faculty.

Definitely being reworked, the students received an email about it yesterday and the Dean of MedEd is having very active conversations about it with students/faculty.

Considering that the announcement said that the changes would come into effect no earlier than Jan 2022, and the possibility of the changes happening later I wonder how schools will navigate this.

If it's not against any school rules and you all get more concrete information about curricular changes please let us know. Thanks for graciously answering all of our questions.:)

Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible that letters in the mail only got sent to people that are of higher priority on the waitlist?