About the Ads
Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
do you guys think Pitt will change it’s curriculum since the step 1 is pass/fail now?
considering that step 2 will likely now be emphasized over step 1, i would think they would have to adjust their curriculum to emphasize clinical skills more than the basic sciences

Feb 5, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
What are the pros/cons of living in Darragh? Also, are there elevators and parking in Darragh? How come only 1/3 of the M1s live in Darragh (is there limited availability, or is there something lacking that attract students to other apartments)? Also, do roughly the same percentage of upperclassmen live in Darragh or do they prefer off campus?

Thanks!!!
Pros: Proximity
Cons: Feels like a college dorm, price can be a bit steep compared to other options in the area.

There are elevators in Darragh and there is a dedicated parking lot for Darragh. MS-1's most likely won't have access to the lot due to seniority rules. They park in a lot 5 minutes away by walking.

Mixture of reasons, some people just like living in other parts of Pittsburgh. Other neighborhoods like Shadyside and North Oakland are extremely student friendly and have more amenities. Spaces do fill up quickly in Darragh so I'd inquire soon.

There are less M3-M4's in Darragh because once clinicals come around, people tend to want their own place. I'd say that if you don't have a car, Darragh is a good choice. However, plenty of people in the class rely solely on public transit and they haven't had any problems.

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Definitely being reworked, the students received an email about it yesterday and the Dean of MedEd is having very active conversations about it with students/faculty.
Considering that the announcement said that the changes would come into effect no earlier than Jan 2022, and the possibility of the changes happening later I wonder how schools will navigate this.

If it's not against any school rules and you all get more concrete information about curricular changes please let us know. Thanks for graciously answering all of our questions.:)

neuroresearchguy23

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think the letters in the mail is predictive. If anything, I think it would be the committee decisions item for those on the WL. But again, that's a stretch. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

neuroresearchguy23

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
It's odd tho because I got a letter in the mail, but not one on the portal
Yea, again idk.. and I don't think anyone really knows. I got the physical letter and the committee decision thing. In all honesty, it probs means nothing. I'm not gonna get my hopes up for anything but it is interesting how variable things are. Hope we'll find out at the end of Feb!

Reactions: yennefer
About the Ads
Sep 16, 2019
Status
It's odd tho because I got a letter in the mail, but not one on the portal
Me too. I've been MIA here for a bit, so I come back and I'm like: WOOOOAH, what did I miss haha.

I got letter in mail. No committee decision, no glitch, nothing. Hope I'm not one of the WL's that are confirmed for the R pile :(

Either that or these differences actually mean nothing?? This feels like some kind of Hogwarts puzzle lol

Reactions: Med.Geek
Jan 30, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think it means anything to be honest. Physical letters get lost in the mail all the time. Some As had letters in their portal, others didn't... For all we know everyone could have a letter, but adcom forgot to "hide" some peoples (assuming there is a hide function in the system).

Jan 10, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Does Pitt offer merit scholarships for accepted students, and if so, do we have to apply? Is that something we will hear about soon, or is it only need-based scholarships/financial aid?

Nov 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone who has interviewed for PSTP, what was the dress code for the "community gathering" the night before the interview day?

Jul 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think it means anything to be honest. Physical letters get lost in the mail all the time. Some As had letters in their portal, others didn't... For all we know everyone could have a letter, but adcom forgot to "hide" some peoples (assuming there is a hide function in the system).
I second this! Last year, the committee met one day before waitlist decisions were released. There could be a rolling element to it, but the idea that the committee would meet and decide on people one week after decision release seems pretty unrealistic. If only some accepted students have the committee decision, then it’s not indicative of anything. Could be the committee uploading WL confirmation TBH. Sample size seems too big for it to be a new decision. Everyone should keep their heads up, whether you have the letter or not! We all received interviews for a reason, just trust in yourself :)

About the Ads
Feb 3, 2020
San Diego, CA
Status
Medical Student
Oh sorry guys I played a little Skyrim and then fell asleep Lul

So my theory is this:

We have 2 Committee decision dates confirmed so far: the 5th and 12th of February.
What if these decision dates tell us something about our place on the Wait/Rank list??

I submitted and interviewed super late, and my name is at the bottom of the alphabet. No way was I supposed to be decided before others who did earlier:arghh:

Jul 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh sorry guys I played a little Skyrim and then fell asleep Lul

So my theory is this:

We have 2 Committee decision dates confirmed so far: the 5th and 12th of February.
What if these decision dates tell us something about our place on the Wait/Rank list??

I submitted and interviewed super late, and my name is at the bottom of the alphabet. No way was I supposed to be decided before others who did earlier:arghh:
There’s also some dated 2/7 and 2/14

Reactions: neuroresearchguy23
About the Ads

neuroresearchguy23

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmmm interesting. Perhaps. I think it could be that or it could be the committee actually going through our apps for wl movement. I know its early but they did interview less people so they could’ve started earlier on wl review. Also, it could make sense that the reason why people have different dates on the decision document is because their app was reviewed on different days. Again, I have no evidence. Just what I’m thinking. It also might be a mayo-like super glitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2020
San Diego, CA
Status
Medical Student
Isn’t the waitlist unranked? They probably just couldn’t upload the hundreds of waitlist statuses in a day so they did it over a few days
I read in the bylaws that it's ranked and an applicant can't know his position; hopefully it's changed

PreMedStudent55555

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
For the accepted people here, when you log into the AMPUP portal, do you just see the "Home" tab only. I log in and only see a home tab and nothing else.

@Chromium Surfer

Jun 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I wonder if there's some correlation with the committee decision and an update letter. I sent in an update on 2/5 and have a committee decision on 2/7.

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
I dont know if it helps anyone, but I sent in an update letter on Jan 8 and after I was accepted I got a committee decision included on my portal on 2/5.

Reactions: rickandmorty2020
Jul 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
In the bylaws it also says that initial rank will not be used to evaluate candidates on the waitlist, so I don’t think there is an official rank besides maybe a separation into a high priority and low priority group (without our knowledge)

Last edited:
Reactions: j.elise

PreMedStudent55555

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
No, all my original tabs are there (Home, Readme, FAQ, Supplemental, etc.)
No I see that in my applicant portal. I mean when the new portal they gave us.

Like they sent out an email a week ago saying they activated my Pitt account and gave me a new password and everything.

When I log in there, I only see the home tab.

However, if I log into the applicant portal, I see all the tabs.
@Chromium Surfer
Do you see anything else when you log into your activated account?

neuroresearchguy23

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I wonder if wl people will get an email with acceptances or if they just have to check the portal.. I don't remember getting an email about the initial decision.

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status

Like they sent out an email a week ago saying they activated my Pitt account and gave me a new password and everything.

@Chromium Surfer
Oh lmao what I did not get this email. Could you pm me and forward the email you got?

Aug 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

@Chromium Surfer
Hi,
I have the same thing. Nothing but the home tab in the new portal they emailed us about and all the tabs in the application portal

Edit: I’m on the WL

Last edited:
About the Ads