Jul 18, 2019
Texas
Status
Post Doc
For the accepted people here, when you log into the AMPUP portal, do you just see the "Home" tab only. I log in and only see a home tab and nothing else.

@Chromium Surfer
I am waitlisted, however I did receive that activation email as well. When I login to the AMPUP website, I only see the homepage and only have access to the home tab. My original admissions account is unchanged and I still have access to all the tabs.

Also, I never got a WL decision letter uploaded to my original admissions account.

Nov 14, 2018
Is there a way admitted MD students can apply to an MD/PhD after the fact? Are joint degrees in public health funded? If you can only apply once you start school, you still have to pay for at least one year of school, right? Is there a way to do med school without ending up broke with years and years of debt? Ya gurl is stressed

Reactions: OperationBagration
Sep 16, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Is there a way admitted MD students can apply to an MD/PhD after the fact? Are joint degrees in public health funded? If you can only apply once you start school, you still have to pay for at least one year of school, right? Is there a way to do med school without ending up broke with years and years of debt? Ya gurl is stressed
Someone else can answer this more in depth, but I think if you get a school as fantastic as Pitt, you are guaranteed opportunities for high paying specialties that make your debt look like peanuts

About the Ads
Sep 16, 2019
Status
Wait a second, I never got one of those admissions committee thingies on my portal :O

Literally only got the mail WL letter. Nothing else, no email to any other account.

Pitt what are you trying to tell meeeeeeee...

Im shcared.

neuroresearchguy23

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Wait a second, I never got one of those admissions committee thingies on my portal :O

Literally only got the mail WL letter. Nothing else, no email to any other account.

Pitt what are you trying to tell meeeeeeee...

Im shcared.
I think we are all scared tbh. At least I am lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the Ads

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Hey all, if there’s interest I’ll make an admitted students Facebook group. Let me know
Isn't this the same idea behind the created second look group? lol

Or are you saying making an SDN specific one?

PreMedStudent55555

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I can't find the group. Can you post the link?
You should have the link in the brochure included in the acceptance packet. At work, so I don’t have it right now

RoseHathaway

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, does anyone know where we can look up the textbooks for the courses that we will take in the first year? Is there a separate bookstore or course atlas?

I was thinking of asking friends etc. if I can buy any of their textbooks for cheap ahead of time, so that they don't sell them off to someone else. I need to save some money on book purchases lol. Are there any other books (even outside of the curriculum) that you have heard is helpful as supplementary material. Let me know if you have any info! Thanks in advance!

aracuna

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
You should have the link in the brochure included in the acceptance packet. At work, so I don’t have it right now
Is this a physical acceptance package or an email?

About the Ads

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Does anyone know when Pitt releases financial aid info?
When I called the financial aid office they said sometime in early to mid April, and that we would have a little time to evaluate the offer before second look.

Hey guys, does anyone know where we can look up the textbooks for the courses that we will take in the first year? Is there a separate bookstore or course atlas?

I was thinking of asking friends etc. if I can buy any of their textbooks for cheap ahead of time, so that they don't sell them off to someone else. I need to save some money on book purchases lol. Are there any other books (even outside of the curriculum) that you have heard is helpful as supplementary material. Let me know if you have any info! Thanks in advance!
Current Students | Office of Medical Education | University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine ( Towards the bottom of this page there is a hyperlink to "books and supply" for the academic year 2019-2020. I dont know how often this changes but at least some of the material will be the same especially the physical exam tools etc.

PreMedStudent55555

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I would be cautious of buying some books though as I know they mentioned earlier in this thread that they will be changing our curriculum from a 2+2 to a 1.5+2.5 curriculum due to the recent STEP 1 change to P/F. I don't know if it would change anything though.

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
I would be cautious of buying some books though as I know they mentioned earlier in this thread that they will be changing our curriculum from a 2+2 to a 1.5+2.5 curriculum due to the recent STEP 1 change to P/F. I don't know if it would change anything though.
Has that actually been confirmed though? I thought everything was up in the air right now.

PreMedStudent55555

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Has that actually been confirmed though? I thought everything was up in the air right now.
Woops. Not confirmed. They just said that they were in the process of changing it is all.

RoseHathaway

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
When I called the financial aid office they said sometime in early to mid April, and that we would have a little time to evaluate the offer before second look.

Current Students | Office of Medical Education | University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine ( Towards the bottom of this page there is a hyperlink to "books and supply" for the academic year 2019-2020. I dont know how often this changes but at least some of the material will be the same especially the physical exam tools etc.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

RoseHathaway

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Step 1 itself is changing to Pass/Fail??? wth. I need to go read those posts lol. Thanks for the heads up!

Feb 5, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you think Pitt will switch to 1.5 years pre-clinical from 2 years?
A great question to ask at 2nd Look. The students' guess would be yes. Despite having a traditional curriculum, we are seeing patients in the first semester and have a formal class in the second semester that places us in the hospital. The major con we saw to the traditional curriculum initially was a short amount of time between the end of classes and Step 1 but that wouldn't be a problem with the P/F change.

Feb 5, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't buy books, you'll get access to the school's library/database.

kkweens

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel very silly asking this... But does someone know how to apply for fin aid? I've submitted fafsa and css profile but how do i send them my tax return docs??? can't find a portal or any instructions on how to submit these....
pls help

Dec 26, 2018
I feel very silly asking this... But does someone know how to apply for fin aid? I've submitted fafsa and css profile but how do i send them my tax return docs??? can't find a portal or any instructions on how to submit these....
pls help
Are you sure you didn't get the financial aid email... or the reminder to apply for financial aid email in the email linked with your AMCAS? They sent 2 emails for financial aid

• Wow
Reactions: kkweens
About the Ads

kkweens

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you sure you didn't get the financial aid email... or the reminder to apply for financial aid email in the email linked with your AMCAS? They sent 2 emails for financial aid
I didn't get those emails. Could it be because I'm waitlisted?
Is there a fin aid portal?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I didn't get those emails. Could it be because I'm waitlisted?
Is there a fin aid portal?
Well that explains why you didn't get the emails lol. If you're on the WL, there is no reason for them to take your financial information for processing. As long as your FAFSA/CSS are filled out, you're fine. To answer your question, there is an internal email made available for accepted applicants for emailing them your documents since they don't use IDOC verification on CSS for whatever reason

Reactions: kkweens

Just Call Me Doc

5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm an MS4 here at Pitt Med and a military veteran (prior Navy Corpsman). If you have any questions regarding Pitt Med or medical school as a veteran feel free to PM me! Also happy to try to answer any questions regarding begin a non-trad here or those interested in getting an MPH while in med school.

Last edited:

kkweens

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Well that explains why you didn't get the emails lol. If you're on the WL, there is no reason for them to take your financial information for processing. As long as your FAFSA/CSS are filled out, you're fine. To answer your question, there is an internal email made available for accepted applicants for emailing them your documents since they don't use IDOC verification on CSS for whatever reason
Thank you!
I'm waitlisted at other schools that require me to submit the entire application materials by the deadline :shrug:

anotherpremedlurker

MD Class of 2024
Dec 18, 2018
Can you call admissions and ask which tier of the waitlist you are on?

Reactions: neuroresearchguy23
Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
will pitt med pay for your public transportation

Feb 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student

Hey, I'm a current student and actually you don't need to buy any textbooks for Pitt Med. You will get a "syllabus" for each course you take, which is basically a textbook written by the professors of each course. (For example, our histology/pathology syllabus was ~500pgs). If anything, actual textbooks are supplemental and you will either have access to ebooks through the library or there will be PDFs floating around the class.

Reactions: BeingForItself
Jun 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Can anyone comment on how strict pitt is about supplying both parent's financial information if you are estranged from one of your parents?

Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Question for current students, how helpful/ burdensome is car ownership in Pitt? I'm coming from Boston where public transit is okay and driving is a nightmare.

About the Ads