2019-2020 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, if there’s interest I’ll make an admitted students Facebook group. Let me know

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, if there’s interest I’ll make an admitted students Facebook group. Let me know

Isn't this the same idea behind the created second look group? lol

Or are you saying making an SDN specific one?

They’ve already made a second look group and the admitted one is being made in March or April I think

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard that the first wave of WL movement will be the first week of March. Sit tight folks and finger crossed

Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys, does anyone know where we can look up the textbooks for the courses that we will take in the first year? Is there a separate bookstore or course atlas?

I was thinking of asking friends etc. if I can buy any of their textbooks for cheap ahead of time, so that they don't sell them off to someone else. I need to save some money on book purchases lol. Are there any other books (even outside of the curriculum) that you have heard is helpful as supplementary material. Let me know if you have any info! Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know when Pitt releases financial aid info?
When I called the financial aid office they said sometime in early to mid April, and that we would have a little time to evaluate the offer before second look.

Hey guys, does anyone know where we can look up the textbooks for the courses that we will take in the first year? Is there a separate bookstore or course atlas?

I was thinking of asking friends etc. if I can buy any of their textbooks for cheap ahead of time, so that they don't sell them off to someone else. I need to save some money on book purchases lol. Are there any other books (even outside of the curriculum) that you have heard is helpful as supplementary material. Let me know if you have any info! Thanks in advance!
Current Students | Office of Medical Education | University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine ( Towards the bottom of this page there is a hyperlink to "books and supply" for the academic year 2019-2020. I dont know how often this changes but at least some of the material will be the same especially the physical exam tools etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I would be cautious of buying some books though as I know they mentioned earlier in this thread that they will be changing our curriculum from a 2+2 to a 1.5+2.5 curriculum due to the recent STEP 1 change to P/F. I don't know if it would change anything though.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be cautious of buying some books though as I know they mentioned earlier in this thread that they will be changing our curriculum from a 2+2 to a 1.5+2.5 curriculum due to the recent STEP 1 change to P/F. I don't know if it would change anything though.
Has that actually been confirmed though? I thought everything was up in the air right now.

When I called the financial aid office they said sometime in early to mid April, and that we would have a little time to evaluate the offer before second look.

Current Students | Office of Medical Education | University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine ( Towards the bottom of this page there is a hyperlink to "books and supply" for the academic year 2019-2020. I dont know how often this changes but at least some of the material will be the same especially the physical exam tools etc.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

Step 1 itself is changing to Pass/Fail??? wth. I need to go read those posts lol. Thanks for the heads up!

Do you think Pitt will switch to 1.5 years pre-clinical from 2 years?

A great question to ask at 2nd Look. The students' guess would be yes. Despite having a traditional curriculum, we are seeing patients in the first semester and have a formal class in the second semester that places us in the hospital. The major con we saw to the traditional curriculum initially was a short amount of time between the end of classes and Step 1 but that wouldn't be a problem with the P/F change.

Don't buy books, you'll get access to the school's library/database.

I feel very silly asking this... But does someone know how to apply for fin aid? I've submitted fafsa and css profile but how do i send them my tax return docs??? can't find a portal or any instructions on how to submit these....
pls help

I feel very silly asking this... But does someone know how to apply for fin aid? I've submitted fafsa and css profile but how do i send them my tax return docs??? can't find a portal or any instructions on how to submit these....
pls help

Are you sure you didn't get the financial aid email... or the reminder to apply for financial aid email in the email linked with your AMCAS? They sent 2 emails for financial aid

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure you didn't get the financial aid email... or the reminder to apply for financial aid email in the email linked with your AMCAS? They sent 2 emails for financial aid
I didn't get those emails. Could it be because I'm waitlisted?
Is there a fin aid portal?

Last edited:
I didn't get those emails. Could it be because I'm waitlisted?
Is there a fin aid portal?

Well that explains why you didn't get the emails lol. If you're on the WL, there is no reason for them to take your financial information for processing. As long as your FAFSA/CSS are filled out, you're fine. To answer your question, there is an internal email made available for accepted applicants for emailing them your documents since they don't use IDOC verification on CSS for whatever reason

I'm an MS4 here at Pitt Med and a military veteran (prior Navy Corpsman). If you have any questions regarding Pitt Med or medical school as a veteran feel free to PM me! Also happy to try to answer any questions regarding begin a non-trad here or those interested in getting an MPH while in med school.

Last edited:
Well that explains why you didn't get the emails lol. If you're on the WL, there is no reason for them to take your financial information for processing. As long as your FAFSA/CSS are filled out, you're fine. To answer your question, there is an internal email made available for accepted applicants for emailing them your documents since they don't use IDOC verification on CSS for whatever reason
Thank you!
I'm waitlisted at other schools that require me to submit the entire application materials by the deadline :shrug:

Can you call admissions and ask which tier of the waitlist you are on?

Hey, I'm a current student and actually you don't need to buy any textbooks for Pitt Med. You will get a "syllabus" for each course you take, which is basically a textbook written by the professors of each course. (For example, our histology/pathology syllabus was ~500pgs). If anything, actual textbooks are supplemental and you will either have access to ebooks through the library or there will be PDFs floating around the class.

Can anyone comment on how strict pitt is about supplying both parent's financial information if you are estranged from one of your parents?

Question for current students, how helpful/ burdensome is car ownership in Pitt? I'm coming from Boston where public transit is okay and driving is a nightmare.

Can anyone comment on how strict pitt is about supplying both parent's financial information if you are estranged from one of your parents?

You would get the best answer from calling their financial aid office

Is second look exclusively for accepted students or can those on the WL come as well?

Question for current students, how helpful/ burdensome is car ownership in Pitt? I'm coming from Boston where public transit is okay and driving is a nightmare.
While there is traffic in Pittsburgh, it's nowhere near as bad as Boston. The buses are decent here but not always reliable.

During the pre-clinical years, a car won't be very helpful for your daily commute. Parking is expensive around the school (not sure of current rates but about $800-$900 a year) so most people bus, bike, or walk if they live close enough. It does come in handy for getting around on the weekends and during some rotations. Bottom line, you don't absolutely need a car here, but I wouldn't say car ownership is a burden and it's definitely a nice to have to get groceries, get around the city on your off time, and reach more distant rotation sites.

Hey everyone, I know Upitt offers MSTP and PSTP. My interview was so long ago that I unfortunately cannot remember the difference between the two. One of them you have to apply and get into before you matriculate right? And the other one you decide to join while you're in medical school?

Hey everyone, I know Upitt offers MSTP and PSTP. My interview was so long ago that I unfortunately cannot remember the difference between the two. One of them you have to apply and get into before you matriculate right? And the other one you decide to join while you're in medical school?

MSTP is MD/PhD and PSTP is 5 year program with dedicated research a few summers and entire 5th year. You apply to both before matriculation, though PSTP you apply to after you interview for the MD program. PSTP interviews/selections for incoming class has already occurred I think. Though, I'm unsure if you can join PSTP after matriculation

Reactions: 2 users
MSTP is MD/PhD and PSTP is 5 year program with dedicated research a few summers and entire 5th year. You apply to both before matriculation, though PSTP you apply to after you interview for the MD program. PSTP interviews/selections for incoming class has already occurred I think. Though, I'm unsure if you can join PSTP after matriculation
Interviewed for PSTP and while most of the PSTP class is indeed selected prior to matriculation they said that they do allow some internal applications after an MD-only person has completed their second-year.

Interviewed for PSTP and while most of the PSTP class is indeed selected prior to matriculation they said that they do allow some internal applications after an MD-only person has completed their second-year.
Ah thank you both for clarifying!

Anyone else have their waitlist application status disappear on the portal?

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users