Sep 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Is second look exclusively for accepted students or can those on the WL come as well?

About the Ads

Just Call Me Doc

5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Does Pitt tend to be generous with financial aid?
Unfortunately, I don't have good insight on that. I've heard of some people that have gotten very generous aid and others that didn't get much. I have no idea regarding the overall breakdown.

Just Call Me Doc

5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Question for current students, how helpful/ burdensome is car ownership in Pitt? I'm coming from Boston where public transit is okay and driving is a nightmare.
While there is traffic in Pittsburgh, it's nowhere near as bad as Boston. The buses are decent here but not always reliable.

During the pre-clinical years, a car won't be very helpful for your daily commute. Parking is expensive around the school (not sure of current rates but about $800-$900 a year) so most people bus, bike, or walk if they live close enough. It does come in handy for getting around on the weekends and during some rotations. Bottom line, you don't absolutely need a car here, but I wouldn't say car ownership is a burden and it's definitely a nice to have to get groceries, get around the city on your off time, and reach more distant rotation sites.

anotherpremedlurker

MD Class of 2024
Dec 18, 2018
Hey everyone, I know Upitt offers MSTP and PSTP. My interview was so long ago that I unfortunately cannot remember the difference between the two. One of them you have to apply and get into before you matriculate right? And the other one you decide to join while you're in medical school?

Btech305

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I know Upitt offers MSTP and PSTP. My interview was so long ago that I unfortunately cannot remember the difference between the two. One of them you have to apply and get into before you matriculate right? And the other one you decide to join while you're in medical school?
MSTP is MD/PhD and PSTP is 5 year program with dedicated research a few summers and entire 5th year. You apply to both before matriculation, though PSTP you apply to after you interview for the MD program. PSTP interviews/selections for incoming class has already occurred I think. Though, I'm unsure if you can join PSTP after matriculation

Nov 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
MSTP is MD/PhD and PSTP is 5 year program with dedicated research a few summers and entire 5th year. You apply to both before matriculation, though PSTP you apply to after you interview for the MD program. PSTP interviews/selections for incoming class has already occurred I think. Though, I'm unsure if you can join PSTP after matriculation
Interviewed for PSTP and while most of the PSTP class is indeed selected prior to matriculation they said that they do allow some internal applications after an MD-only person has completed their second-year.

Reactions: anotherpremedlurker

anotherpremedlurker

MD Class of 2024
Dec 18, 2018
Interviewed for PSTP and while most of the PSTP class is indeed selected prior to matriculation they said that they do allow some internal applications after an MD-only person has completed their second-year.
Ah thank you both for clarifying!

About the Ads
About the Ads
Sep 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do they historically reject during this period as well or do they just pick people and ghost others?

Feb 21, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Finally got all my document submitted. I hope they truly are generous with financial aid. I would love to go here but paying full sticker price for COA is scary:dead:
This is exactly how I feel. LOVED Pitt but I do not foresee myself getting much aid.

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
To add to the suspense...

Me and at least one other accepted students no longer see the accepted status on our portal, or have the ability to access the admitted students tab! Hopefully wait list decisions come out tomorrow:xf:

About the Ads
Jul 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Wouldn't it make more sense to release WL decisions once the ivy decisions came out? Then they could probably take more off the waitlist....

neuroresearchguy23

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I think because schools can't see where else you are accepted, it doesn't matter if its before or after ivy league schools release decisions. Most people would wait regardless to get financial aid information, so it's not like they would instantly withdraw (most people).

Reactions: happybday1972
Oct 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anyone else on the waitlist get an email from the Pitt-Med Research Experience for Pre-matriculants (PREP) program just now saying "We congratulate you on your admission to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine..."?
Just got it now, Im not sure what to think of it?? Does that mean we're accepted?

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Did anyone else on the waitlist get an email from the Pitt-Med Research Experience for Pre-matriculants (PREP) program just now saying "We congratulate you on your admission to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine..."?
1582841419700.png

Reactions: Med.Geek
Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
You’re definitely in

Chromium Surfer

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Just got it now, Im not sure what to think of it?? Does that mean we're accepted?
A couple years back this happened to a couple of people before the first official acceptance was sent out, and everyone who got the Prep email was accepted! I think its good news. Something you could also do is to go on amcas and see if Pitt is available as an option for your choose your medical school tool.

Nov 24, 2018
I wonder if it's because I selected I'm interested in PREP in the secondary? Feel like it might just be a slip up.

About the Ads