2019-2020 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Tulane not send out secondaries until after completing CASPer?
Nah. I take CASPer this Sunday and just submitted my secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Just submitted. Anybody else's letters of rec have a red exclamation mark, despite forwarding a committee letter? Concerned because the 'Details about Application Process' tab notes:

"A committee letter packet is required. A pre-health or a pre-medical committee will suffice."

However, on the website, the letters of recommendation page says:

"Tulane's requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows:
1) A committee letter or a letter of recommendation packet from your pre-medical advising committee..."

Any advice or co-equal experiences would be greatly appreciated :)
I wouldn't be too worried. I have four individual letters that they received and it has the red exclamation. I'm sure they are slowly updating their systems.

Reactions: 1 user
For the community service essay, are people relating their clinical volunteering to desire to pursue medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the community service essay, are people relating their clinical volunteering to desire to pursue medicine?

Haven’t written this *new* essay yet but I think I will do this. My most recent volunteering is clinical.

Just submitted. Anybody else's letters of rec have a red exclamation mark, despite forwarding a committee letter? Concerned because the 'Details about Application Process' tab notes:

"A committee letter packet is required. A pre-health or a pre-medical committee will suffice."

However, on the website, the letters of recommendation page says:

"Tulane's requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows:
1) A committee letter or a letter of recommendation packet from your pre-medical advising committee..."

Any advice or co-equal experiences would be greatly appreciated :)
I also have a red exclamation mark beside LORs, but they're listed as received right next to the exclamation mark. My undergrad school doesn't have a pre-health committee, so I just went with what they have listed: "A committee letter packet is required. A pre-health or a pre-medical committee will suffice. In the absence of a committee at your school, three recommendations are required. Two letters must be from science professors and one can be from a professional (professor/ supervisor) of your choosing. "

Regarding the list of hobbies section in the secondary - would it be inappropriate to put down fantasy football commissioner? I manage at least 2 leagues yearly and wanted opinions on this as I guess it could be construed as a form of gambling.

Regarding the list of hobbies section in the secondary - would it be inappropriate to put down fantasy football commissioner? I manage at least 2 leagues yearly and wanted opinions on this as I guess it could be construed as a form of gambling.
Personally, I think it is okay if you round it out with other hobbies.

Reactions: 1 users
For the list leadership positions questions, since I already listed what I have in my primary application, could I justcopy and paste one or two sentences from my activities section?

Has anyone else not received a secondary, I have been verified since 6/15.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine they release it in batches.
This seems to be the case here. I got mine as soon as a bunch of other people posted yesterday.

Last edited:
+5 It sucks because this was the one that I was most excited to submit early

There is still time to submit early. But I can relate. I was verified day 1 and don't have this secondary yet. I bet we'll get it tomorrow!

Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, and economic background. (60 words)

For this, do you think its reasonable to state you are from an underrepresented country within an ORM overarching category? Like im asian, but definitely a URM in medicine for my country specifics, esp being first-gen.

For this, do you think its reasonable to state you are from an underrepresented country within an ORM overarching category? Like im asian, but definitely a URM in medicine for my country specifics, esp being first-gen.

I would say it is reasonable. Because the questions says "that you believe is underrepresented". Explain your reasoning in your response.

There is still time to submit early. But I can relate. I was verified day 1 and don't have this secondary yet. I bet we'll get it tomorrow!
Yeah, no need to panic yet (maybe starting Monday lol)...

• Haha
I've already gotten another school's secondary today even with the holiday, so maybe it'll be a fourth of July miracle!

• Wow
Does Tulane not send out secondaries until after completing CASPer?
My friend hasnt taken Casper but still got his secondary. Likewise, I took mine about a week ago (don't think my results were processed and sent to Tulane already), but I received my secondary as well.

Can my answer to the question about hobbies/non-academic interests include something that is healthcare related that I volunteer frequently for? I'm not sure if there's a distinction between non-academic & healthcare related activities

Anyone else from CA and not get the secondary?

Can my answer to the question about hobbies/non-academic interests include something that is healthcare related that I volunteer frequently for? I'm not sure if there's a distinction between non-academic & healthcare related activities
I would say put it if it is not already on your AMCAS, but I think they are looking for personal hobbies (playing sports, instruments, etc.)

Application Complete: 7/4/2019 (though it still has red exclamation beside "letter of recommendation" and "application file complete" when I've already submitted all that there is needed to submit)

Application Complete: 7/4/2019 (though it still has red exclamation beside "letter of recommendation" and "application file complete" when I've already submitted all that there is needed to submit)

I think it takes a bit to process tbh. I just checked today after submitting yesterday and everything is green. Check again in a couple of days!

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should definitely steer away from that. more appropriate for what you're doing during your gap year. I think being honest about what you like to do in your fun time granted it doesn't compromise your professionalism would be the best thing to include

I have green checks by everything (including Application File Complete) besides "In Progress," is that what everyone else has too?

Secondary received! OOS

E-mail stating my app was complete (though I take CASPer this Sunday) and under review at 9:37 AM PST.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Just got an email saying I’m under review!