kyleekyle

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
For those who have interviewed, when did you guys hear back about a student host? If you stayed with one. I'm interviewing next week and haven't heard anything since receiving the confirmation that I filled out the form.

limeyguydr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma
Dec 28, 2018
lol just submitting my secondary rip is it even worth it
also, i have 3 letters but just got another one that i feel adds a lot to my app.. should i still send it to tulane?

Kirby Smart

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
secondary submitted 7/23 but still not complete:unsure:
Anyone in the same boat?
Hmm, don't mean to add to anyone's neurosis but I submitted 7/28 and got a complete email yesterday. Of course, no telling as to why, I just wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Interview availability is looking slim at Tulane at this point anyways so no one should be stressing too much over it.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
lol just submitting my secondary rip is it even worth it
also, i have 3 letters but just got another one that i feel adds a lot to my app.. should i still send it to tulane?
Tulane specifically states they only want 3 letters and will not evaluate more than that. From their site:
"We prefer no more than 3 LORs. If you have submitted more than 3 LORs, TUSOM can do nothing to edit this as all of the letters will be sent to us. The committee will read what they individually see fit."

Source: Letters of Recommendation | Medicine

Dec 28, 2018
yes, so if i send 4 will they just chose 3 to read?
Tulane specifically states they only want 3 letters and will not evaluate more than that. From their site:
"We prefer no more than 3 LORs. If you have submitted more than 3 LORs, TUSOM can do nothing to edit this as all of the letters will be sent to us. The committee will read what they individually see fit."

Source: Letters of Recommendation | Medicine

Mar 5, 2019
Pre-II rejection. 516, 3.99 and good overall application (IMO). Have other interviews including one at Mayo. I include this in hopes of offering encouragement to those who aren’t having the best of luck—this process is crazy random. Don’t take anything personally. I wish ya’ll on this thread the best of luck with Tulane!

Jul 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Pre-II rejection. 516, 3.99 and good overall application (IMO). Have other interviews including one at Mayo. I include this in hopes of offering encouragement to those who aren’t having the best of luck—this process is crazy random. Don’t take anything personally. I wish ya’ll on this thread the best of luck with Tulane!
:wtf: sorry to hear about that :( this might be insensitive, but for data collection purposes (lol).......when were you complete? I feel like they're sending rejections in order, so i just wanna know when they're gonna get to me and reject me (I was complete August 8) :woot:

nsharma23

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm sorry to hear that, but clearly, you're a rockstar!! Legit my dream school. Kick ass at your interview :)

Reactions: koster35

nsharma23

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
:wtf: sorry to hear about that :( this might be insensitive, but for data collection purposes (lol).......when were you complete? I feel like they're sending rejections in order, so i just wanna know when they're gonna get to me and reject me (I was complete August 8) :woot:
hahaha for data purposes!! I love it.

Reactions: catladybutnormal
Dec 12, 2018
Anyone else in progress for over a month but not yet complete? Is this basically a rejection?
No news is good news. I have been in progress since 7/18. Others who have been complete after this date have received Pre-II rejections, so stay positive! (my thought is maybe those of us who have been under review for 1+ months have been put aside into a different pile to potentially be re-evaluated later in the cycle, but who knows)

SAS1908

2+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else in progress for over a month but not yet complete? Is this basically a rejection?
+1....Since 7/25. But like everyone keeps saying, no news is good news. I’m still not even under review yet lol

Mar 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
What do you mean by this?
Something I noticed was that when this thread was more active with R's being reported, it was just after an applicants 1 month "complete and under review" date. all anecdotal of course and nothing really of substance- There are people here w/ 1.5months+ with no R, II, or hold-type updates

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
I was verified on day 1 for AMCAS, received this secondary 7/8, submitted within hours, got an "under review" email on 7/14, and have had silence ever since (i.e. no R and no II).

Not expecting anything at this point and I'm not complaining because I've had unexpected success at other schools, but this process is confusing.

Apr 22, 2019
I was verified on day 1 for AMCAS, received this secondary 7/8, submitted within hours, got an "under review" email on 7/14, and have had silence ever since (i.e. no R and no II).

Not expecting anything at this point and I'm not complaining because I've had unexpected success at other schools, but this process is confusing.
You have 15 interview invites?! Damn bruh. How many schools did you apply to???

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
How many are you actually going to attend? :p
I don’t know, but I’ll attend as many as I feasibly can. I didn’t expect to get this many (because I’m below median GPA for just about every school), but I’m not complaining. Best of luck, everyone.

skyebluedestiny

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I don’t know, but I’ll attend as many as I feasibly can. I didn’t expect to get this many (because I’m below median GPA for just about every school), but I’m not complaining. Best of luck, everyone.
I'm proud of you, @EmbryonalCarcinoma . You obviously have a very compelling overall application beyond just stats.

Jan 8, 2018

limeyguydr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

literally same as you (verified day 1, received secondary same day, submitted within an hour, "under review" 7/14) - crickets..

Jan 8, 2018
literally same as you (verified day 1, received secondary same day, submitted within an hour, "under review" 7/14) - crickets..
Just bask in this moment of time when you're not rejected from Tulane! Who knows, maybe you'll get an II!
My app isn't even under review yet!

HighYieldOnly

premed killa -> killa docta?
Jun 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude you guys both have several MD interview invites. Why are you worrying this much about getting one at Tulane?

limeyguydr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude you guys both have several MD interview invites. Why are you worrying this much about getting one at Tulane?
Tulane has always been high on my list - I'm fairly average stats-wise and didn't expect to get anywhere near the IIs I have now. I'm more curious than anything at this point because they seem to be going in order somewhat and either sending IIs or rejecting

mmchick

2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
My guess is the multiple II's start to become more of a collection game "how many can I get" at some point..

Reactions: premed20172017
Mar 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
For those who've interviewed, how long did it take for your host to contact you if you signed up for a student host? or should I go ahead and book my own accommodations?

limeyguydr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

HighYieldOnly

premed killa -> killa docta?
Jun 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Tulane has always been high on my list - I'm fairly average stats-wise and didn't expect to get anywhere near the IIs I have now. I'm more curious than anything at this point because they seem to be going in order somewhat and either sending IIs or rejecting
You’re going to drive yourself crazy if you get fixated on getting an II to a particular school. This process is unpredictable, that’s why we apply broadly to several schools.

Mar 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
You’re going to drive yourself crazy if you get fixated on getting an II to a particular school. This process is unpredictable, that’s why we apply broadly to several schools.
I think everyone understands this. Its still okay to have school preferences. Wanting to see the area and have the chance to attend is different than fixating... Especially when the feedback from Tulane is so vague

limeyguydr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not fixated on getting an II here... the process has proven to be unpredictable as I've landed myself in this situation with interviews at seemingly random schools. Additionally, I applied broadly to ~40 schools. I hear what you're saying and I think I understand where you might be coming from but assuming my way of thinking isn't gonna get us anywhere. We're all in this together at the end of the day :)

mmchick

2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
My guess is that Tulane is a particularly unique school with a great place to live
Sure. So are the other 5+ schools that stellar applicants have received interviews for. Just putting it how it is.

limeyguydr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Sure. So are the other 5+ schools that stellar applicants have received interviews for. Just putting it how it is.
I wouldn't necessarily compare the schools like that. Geographical variation is huge. New Orleans is unmatched by many other places. Some prefer cities with a lively culture and others don't but not all schools are in those lively cities nor do all schools have a mission quite as unique as Tulane's. Sure an MD acceptance is an MD acceptance but that's like saying all vegetables are the same when they have different sizes, shapes, flavors, etc.

mmchick

2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't necessarily compare the schools like that. Geographical variation is huge. New Orleans is unmatched by many other places. Some prefer cities with a lively culture and others don't but not all schools are in those lively cities nor do all schools have a mission quite as unique as Tulane's. Sure an MD acceptance is an MD acceptance but that's like saying all vegetables are the same when they have different sizes, shapes, flavors, etc.
I guess you miss my point. Which is to point out how choosey and entitled to those particular preferences some applicants can get while simultaneously turning the interview process into a collection game after 5 or so invites. Some people won’t even get a single invite or more than one.. so do not have the thought to spare towards the ambiance of NOLA and culture vs any hopeful school they wish would give them a chance. Humility is a good trait you know.

Reactions: BeingForItself