2019-2020 Tulane

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dude you guys both have several MD interview invites. Why are you worrying this much about getting one at Tulane?
Tulane has always been high on my list - I'm fairly average stats-wise and didn't expect to get anywhere near the IIs I have now. I'm more curious than anything at this point because they seem to be going in order somewhat and either sending IIs or rejecting
 
For those who've interviewed, how long did it take for your host to contact you if you signed up for a student host? or should I go ahead and book my own accommodations?
 
Tulane has always been high on my list - I'm fairly average stats-wise and didn't expect to get anywhere near the IIs I have now. I'm more curious than anything at this point because they seem to be going in order somewhat and either sending IIs or rejecting

You’re going to drive yourself crazy if you get fixated on getting an II to a particular school. This process is unpredictable, that’s why we apply broadly to several schools.
 
You’re going to drive yourself crazy if you get fixated on getting an II to a particular school. This process is unpredictable, that’s why we apply broadly to several schools.

I think everyone understands this. Its still okay to have school preferences. Wanting to see the area and have the chance to attend is different than fixating... Especially when the feedback from Tulane is so vague
 
You’re going to drive yourself crazy if you get fixated on getting an II to a particular school. This process is unpredictable, that’s why we apply broadly to several schools.
I'm not fixated on getting an II here... the process has proven to be unpredictable as I've landed myself in this situation with interviews at seemingly random schools. Additionally, I applied broadly to ~40 schools. I hear what you're saying and I think I understand where you might be coming from but assuming my way of thinking isn't gonna get us anywhere. We're all in this together at the end of the day 🙂
 
Sure. So are the other 5+ schools that stellar applicants have received interviews for. Just putting it how it is.
I wouldn't necessarily compare the schools like that. Geographical variation is huge. New Orleans is unmatched by many other places. Some prefer cities with a lively culture and others don't but not all schools are in those lively cities nor do all schools have a mission quite as unique as Tulane's. Sure an MD acceptance is an MD acceptance but that's like saying all vegetables are the same when they have different sizes, shapes, flavors, etc.
 
I wouldn't necessarily compare the schools like that. Geographical variation is huge. New Orleans is unmatched by many other places. Some prefer cities with a lively culture and others don't but not all schools are in those lively cities nor do all schools have a mission quite as unique as Tulane's. Sure an MD acceptance is an MD acceptance but that's like saying all vegetables are the same when they have different sizes, shapes, flavors, etc.

I guess you miss my point. Which is to point out how choosey and entitled to those particular preferences some applicants can get while simultaneously turning the interview process into a collection game after 5 or so invites. Some people won’t even get a single invite or more than one.. so do not have the thought to spare towards the ambiance of NOLA and culture vs any hopeful school they wish would give them a chance. Humility is a good trait you know.
 
I guess you miss my point. Which is to point out how choosey and entitled to those particular preferences some applicants can get while simultaneously turning the interview process into a collection game after 5 or so invites. Some people won’t even get a single invite or more than one.. so do not have the thought to spare towards the ambiance of NOLA and culture vs any hopeful school they wish would give them a chance. Humility is a good trait you know.
I wasn't talking about myself in particular in that instance and I hear your message loud and clear. You're right - many people won't get an invite and as a reapplicant, I know this firsthand. But to that point - I don't think it becomes a collection game to all involved; there are schools in my area and state that I have not heard back from and if I were to hear back and get in, I would drop all of my other interviews or acceptances to be as fair as possible to others. It's a crapshoot and I promise my application is not stellar and my stats aren't jaw-dropping - I'm extremely grateful for what I have so far and it was never my intention to be demeaning/unappreciative/ or to boast. To that end, I apologize if I've hurt anyone's feelings. Best of luck in the cycle

/endrant
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man y'all are funny lol. Assumptions are the lowest form of intelligence, and I am forever amazed at how entitled people on this site can be. Let people receive whatever they get during this process and please for God's sake learn to be happy for other people's successes. Again, everyone will end up where they are meant to be regardless of if someone is holding 20 interview slots or not. What's for you will not miss you and what misses you was never for you in the first place.
 
Man y'all are funny lol. Assumptions are the lowest form of intelligence, and I am forever amazed at how entitled people on this site can be. Let people receive whatever they get during this process and please for God's sake learn to be happy for other people's successes. Again, everyone will end up where they are meant to be regardless of if someone is holding 20 interview slots or not. What's for you will not miss you and what misses you was never for you in the first place.
this was really eloquently written and applicable to much more than just this app cycle. the last sentence is gonna be my new go-to phrase when I feel like I'm missing out on things. Thank you for that
 
this was really eloquently written and applicable to much more than just this app cycle. the last sentence is gonna be my new go-to phrase when I feel like I'm missing out on things. Thank you for that

Anytime! I’m glad it resonated with you. This process is already hard enough and some people on here can be so malicious and nasty. I really do wish you and everyone else on here the best!
 
For those who've interviewed, how long did it take for your host to contact you if you signed up for a student host? or should I go ahead and book my own accommodations?
I emailed the address they listed and they said they try to match around 2 weeks before the interview, but sometimes they don't match until 1 week before an interview. But they've never not matched anyone.
 
I emailed the address they listed and they said they try to match around 2 weeks before the interview, but sometimes they don't match until 1 week before an interview. But they've never not matched anyone.
Thanks! I emailed them and they basically said to just hold on.
 
I guess you miss my point. Which is to point out how choosey and entitled to those particular preferences some applicants can get while simultaneously turning the interview process into a collection game after 5 or so invites. Some people won’t even get a single invite or more than one.. so do not have the thought to spare towards the ambiance of NOLA and culture vs any hopeful school they wish would give them a chance. Humility is a good trait you know.

Haha you have to not get so triggered by people having interviews or you’re going to be miserable until you get them. No need to project your insecurities on others. He/she has the right to care about a school that he/she applied to.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I know no one cares BUT I did the unthinkable- I glanced at last years thread. It seems like unlike this year, last year had a hold as a post-review status in addition to II/R. Thats probably why people are not hearing back within a month+ with a concrete answer- they are likely in the hold category without a formal title.
 
Anyone have their interview here yet? How was it?
Tulane probably has the most laid-back interview you'll have all cycle. It's a long day and there's a fair amount of walking, so if you're wearing heels be sure to wear comfortable ones (and definitely bring comfy shoes to change into for the tour at the end). The sequence of events in the day is as follows: Introduction, patient simulation, faculty interview, student lunch interview, tour. Everyone on my day was kind, enthusiastic, and genuinely wanted us to be comfortable and express our unique personalities. As they mention in the email, it is truly just having a conversation, rather than being grilled from a set list of questions. My advice: relax, take several slow deep breaths, and understand that everyone on your interview day wants you to succeed. Ask questions to all the various people you'll meet that day, as everyone has insight on the school that will help inform your choice. If you can stay with a student host the night before, I highly recommend it! Explore the city and get a feel for its unique culture; as all the locals will tell you, there's no place like it on Earth.

Best of luck to all interviewing!
 
Also, side note: CASPer is not currently being used as an admissions metric, but Tulane is tracking it in order to determine whether it correlates with success in the interview and academic success in the med school later on. They're currently evaluating its validity, so it won't be used against you this cycle.

Source: Dean of Admissions
 
I find this process super strange.. I submitted 8/29 and got a complete and under review email under a week after. I don't have high stats but I would say I'm a great fit for their mission with great EC? Idk maybe it's just an automatic sorting into the R pile lol.
 
I find this process super strange.. I submitted 8/29 and got a complete and under review email under a week after. I don't have high stats but I would say I'm a great fit for their mission with great EC? Idk maybe it's just an automatic sorting into the R pile lol.
Tulane could likely have median stats like 3.8/515 if they wanted to select for GPA and MCAT due to being an awesome school and having so many applicants. They seem more focused on other parts of your app.
 
Tulane could likely have median stats like 3.8/515 if they wanted to select for GPA and MCAT due to being an awesome school and having so many applicants. They seem more focused on other parts of your app.

That's very true! Well, I'll cross my fingers they see some things they like in my app. Maybe they filter apps for hours of volunteering/leadership? As in when they look at it I mean. Or maybe it's all random who knows:shrug:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete 8/21 and under review 9/11, Is this a good thing? Also, how long are people typically under review for?