2020-2021 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wore business formal, but people have told me that especially for non-asynchronous video interviews that it looks "bizarre" and "cold" to see someone dressed in full on business formal when it's a video call. These people, however, do work in other industries where the contexts for wearing business formal vs business casual are more clearly delineated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think so? Looks like they are taking time and going through all the VITA as well, which terrifies me because I feel like I bombed it lol
Honestly same from MSAR last year they interview about half of IS applicants that’s pretty good odds to get an interview at least!
 
II yesterday! OOS no ties. LM ~73, complete 8/20. Only dates available to me were within the next week or so. Echoing @futuredoc4634 comment, if anyone has any general feedback or comments about the interview please share!!!
 
Interviewing tomorrow... does anyone know if we can use a notebook to jot down notes and ideas during the MMI?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How fast does UMass send VITA invites? I finished my application last Thursday and got a VITA invite this morning. It doesn't say which school but I think it was UMass??
 
How fast does UMass send VITA invites? I finished my application last Thursday and got a VITA invite this morning. It doesn't say which school but I think it was UMass??
They send it on the Thursday after you submit your secondary (assuming full app has to be complete to recieve). Make sure you do VITA within 2 weeks of getting the invite, they sneaky put that info in their initial secondary email.
 
II today for PURCH, OOS no ties , ORM, LM 76

Really excited to hear back from the PURCH program!

Does anyone know if UMASS opens Vita before or after interview invitations?
 
A bit of a silly question, but for those who have attended a Q&A session, what did you wear? Does it matter, or does it tend to be more business casual or business?
Have you decided what to wear? I am debating whether or not to even turn my camera on.. feels kind of silly to put a suit on for this?
 
I'm just rocking a polo its during work hours for me

EDIT: kept camera off almost everyone put on a suit...
Yeah that was super surprising to me... hope I didn't lose points for "only" wearing a dress shirt without a tie or a coat!
 
II!! ahhhh I got a VITA email at 5 am and had no clue which school had sent it until now. I'm shocked because I submitted my secondary late September. I haven't received any emails from Umass yet though

I’m so so sorry to burst your bubble, but U Mass sends out the VITA to every applicant who sends a secondary 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh wow I didn't know, that's embarrassing :/ Thank you for letting me know

Hey nothing to be embarrassed about! It really is strange that they do this, I don’t think any other school is using the VITA like this. Good luck for this cycle!
 
Maybe they're trying to wait for covid to die down to do some in person interviews? This is purely my own speculation tho.
 
Although* it really doesn't seem like covid is going to be through anytime soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although* it really doesn't seem like covid is going to be through anytime soon.

It's possible that in normal years with the dreaded MA winter, UMass invited OOS apps first so they didn't need to travel through a blizzard to get to Worcester while IS apps have an easier time due to proximity/familiarity with the weather. The trend this year might be a holdover from that previous policy? In any case, MA is actually trending up a bit in COVID cases so I highly doubt they're even considering in-person interviews
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is VITA due within 2 weeks after the invitation on Thursday or 2 weeks after submitting the secondary application?

edit: Thank you, just read their FAQ which states it is 2 weeks from receiving the hirevue email
 
Last edited: