2020-2021 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete 8/31 and I have not moved to experience review yet. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Phone interview!! OOS. Experiences review completed 10/5

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I gauge that the phone interview is like a verbal MMI. Were you told how many minutes you have for a question/timed for your answers? Or was it more asking for concise responses to a series of follow up questions?

I gauge that the phone interview is like a verbal MMI. Were you told how many minutes you have for a question/timed for your answers? Or was it more asking for concise responses to a series of follow up questions?
You are given a total of 30 minutes for 7 questions (I think I finished my whole interview in like 20 minutes, whoops). I would say be as thorough as you can without rambling :) The phone interview is meant to be standardized for each interviewee, so they did not allow clarification questions, nor will they ask you follow up questions.

Reactions: 1 users
You are given a total of 30 minutes for 7 questions (I think I finished my whole interview in like 20 minutes, whoops). I would say be as thorough as you can without rambling :) The phone interview is meant to be standardized for each interviewee, so they did not allow clarification questions, nor will they ask you follow up questions.
15-20 minutes is pretty typical for the phone interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got live II at 1:23PM. LM 72. OOS ORM.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!! Would you mind saying when you completed your phone interview?
Hey! Don't mind at all lol. I think I've posted them up somewhere in chat, but Ill go ahead and give my timeline again.
AMCAS Received 08/04/2020 12:28 am
Under Review 08/04/2020 07:27 am
AMCAS Received 08/04/2020 07:36 am
Supplemental App. Offered 08/05/2020 07:34 am
Fee Waived & Essays Completed 08/09/2020 04:36 pm
Supplemental App. Completed 08/12/2020 07:06 am
Experiences Review Started 08/24/2020 08:43 am
Experiences Review Completed 09/09/2020 04:06 pm
Telephone Interview Offered 09/16/2020 01:28 pm
Telephone Interview Completed 09/30/2020 07:27 am
Virtual Interview Offered 10/14/2020 12:11 pm

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else in the first week of phone interviews not hear back yet? :confused:

Live II just now!! Phone interview complete 9/25

• Love
Congrats to everyone receiving II's! Do you guys mind sharing if your last name is in the beginning/middle/end of the alphabet?

• Haha
Just got live II! When is everyone's interview scheduled for?? The earliest date I had was second week of November ://

• Love
Also, does anyone know what the format of the interview is? MMI, faculty 1-on-1, student interview etc?

Just got the live II two weeks after completing the phone interview! But the earliest date available for me is :1devilish:Friday the 13th:1devilish:in November. I'm really not superstitious, but I'm a bit uneasy about the date lol

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Live II earlier today!! Phone interview complete 10/08

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten an R after the experiences review or is the common trend just silence as things progress?

Congrats all on your IIs! Just swinging by to provide some reassurance that this interview day (yes - 1:1 faculty open file!) was EXTREMELY chill and I had a lot of fun. Good luck!!

Reactions: 5 users
They completed my experiences review within an hour and a half...is that a bad sign?

around how long did it take for you guys to get phone interview invites after they completed your experiences review?

I was wondering if this was possible too, I hadn't checked the portal since interview day.
They appeared the day after interviews. I remember going into the financial tab to input my SSN after they mentioned doing it when we send FAFSA.

Am I in a bad spot if my "consideration for telephone interview" has been since middle September?

I was just wondering if anyone has not gotten a live interview after their phone interview? Does anyone know if a phone interview actually means much or if it’s just a step that they give to everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone has not gotten a live interview after their phone interview? Does anyone know if a phone interview actually means much or if it’s just a step that they give to everyone.
Waiting for live II. Phone Interview completed 10/05

If you looked back in this thread, it was calculated that ~20% of applicants get a phone II. Around half of these applicants then get a virtual interview.

Oh wow okay 20% is a lot less than I thought, and only half of those go to virtual interview damn

Do you know what the post II acceptance rate is for those 420 people by any chance?

Unfortunately WMed doesn't publish their post II acceptance rate however we know they are interviewing 450 in 2020 for about 85 seats = 19% rate from interview to matriulation
To get a good idea of their post II acceptance rate we have to estimate their yield. Based on the USNWR data, a typical yield varies a lot, but typical is around 1 seat per 1.2.5-2.75 acceptees, maxing out around 3 seats per acceptee. I personally believe WMed likely has a very low yield because
1. They don't publish the value
2. It's fairly expensive (greater than average debt)
3. It accepts a lot of high stat applicants (applicants who have other acceptances to choose from)
4. It's not "ranked high"
5. It's in relatively undesirable location for many applicants (cold, not a big city).

This leads me to believe guess they probably have one of the lowest yields, likely around 2.5 acceptances per seat honestly maybe higher
The 2.5 estimate would be a 45% post II acceptance rate. 3 would be a 56% appearance rate. Overall it's unclear but I think getting a campus II becomes a coin flip once you include waitlist movement etc.

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed on 10/9 and no word yet from admissions but a new "financials" tab has popped up in my applicant portal. There is a section to accept/decline award letter and info about fin aid and how much the first sem of tuition will cost with my AAMC ID. Fellow virtual interviewees, do you guys see this too? Not sure what to make of it.

Interviewed on 10/9 and no word yet from admissions but a new "financials" tab has popped up in my applicant portal. There is a section to accept/decline award letter and info about fin aid and how much the first sem of tuition will cost with my AAMC ID. Fellow virtual interviewees, do you guys see this too? Not sure what to make of it.

Scroll up a bit in this thread. This popped up immediately after your interview. Means nothing.