This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As for your work in law enforcement--are your research interests related (e.g., forensic psych)?

While not directly related to program admission, if you have prior experience with LE, that can be very helpful because the LE community can be very picky/skeptical about working with someone who has no connection to LE work. It can help with jobs and in particular private practice and consulting work. Friends of mine are former parol officers, LEOs, and 3-letter folks, and all had a leg up during internship, post-doc, and for jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

While not directly related to program admission, if you have prior experience with LE, that can be very helpful because the LE community can be very picky/skeptical about working with someone who has no connection to LE work. It can help with jobs and in particular private practice and consulting work. Friends of mine are former parol officers, LEOs, and 3-letter folks, and all had a leg up during internship, post-doc, and for jobs.

Tangentially, we did some research with law enforcement a couple years back (the article's in press now, actually :) ), and according to the PI, having a former LE as a collaborator/co-facilitator on our focus groups *really* helped us get good, honest responses and rapport with the participants. So, I agree.

Not an admin, but moved to WAMC. :)

Psychcs, I think a concern for you would be getting weeded out by official or unofficial GRE cut-offs in the first round of application review--commonly these are cited as being around 1200-1250, ranging up about 1400 at some schools, although I'm sure if that has any empirical basis or just applicant folk tales. Your higher GRE Q should help (psych programs tend to be more concerned with Q over V), but your sub-1200 combined score could be an issue. Some strong, funded programs place less emphasis on the GRE (North Dakota and Oklahoma State come immediately to mind, although I'm sure there's others); however, you would still need a solid research match at those schools to be competitive. I'd definitely retake the GRE, especially seeing as you were sick the first time you took it.

As for the publication, it will be most helpful it is already accepted or published when you apply or less so if it is submitted/under review (although tht does at least indicate that it is finished). I don't know how much just having a publication in prep on your CV would help, as that could mean anything (I'd still put it on there at this stage but don't think it would be a big boost). Getting on conference posters and presentations will help, too.

As for your work in law enforcement--are your research interests related (e.g., forensic psych)?

Actually, you just voiced my concern. My concern is the sub 1200 score that will end my dream of being a clinician, being rooted out before they even take a good look at my resume.

Oh, another question I would like to ask is does being an International student helps? Will they have a better standing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, you just voiced my concern. My concern is the sub 1200 score that will end my dream of being a clinician, being rooted out before they even take a good look at my resume.

Oh, another question I would like to ask is does being an International student helps? Will they have a better standing?

My GRE Q score was just fine (620) and my essays were fine but my problem was my very low V score (it certainly brought my score below 1200). I still got accepted into a fully-funded clinical PhD program (though I did get plenty of rejections too, probably because of the cut-off). My advisor actually told me to write a paragraph explaning my low verbal score in my statement. English is not my native language so not only was I able to talk about my coming from a different country in my personal statement, but was also able to attribute my lower score to that. I know this was a little risky, but it worked out for me. I'm not an international student (just an immigrant :p) but if English is also not your native language perhaps you can take that route a little bit?

I don't think being an international student help (especially since it's more difficult to fund international students etc).

Now, if you're talking solely about the GRE-scores, I can possibly see schools being a little more lenient with a low verbal score if you're an international student, but if you're talking about the admission as a whole, I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:
My GRE Q score was just fine (620) and my essays were fine but my problem was my very low V score (it certainly brought my score below 1200). I still got accepted into a fully-funded clinical PhD program (though I did get plenty of rejections too, probably because of the cut-off). My advisor actually told me to write a paragraph explaning my low verbal score in my statement. English is not my native language so not only was I able to talk about my coming from a different country in my personal statement, but was also able to attribute my lower score to that. I know this was a little risky, but it worked out for me. I'm not an international student (just an immigrant :p) but if English is also not your native language perhaps you can take that route a little bit?

I like this suggestion! But I kinda thought that I should retake and hope for the best that my score will improve, otherwise... there is no hope for entering grad school.

How about sharing which school you hail from?=D

I like this suggestion! But I kinda thought that I should retake and hope for the best that my score will improve, otherwise... there is no hope for entering grad school.

How about sharing which school you hail from?=D

Truthfully, I retook the exam and scored better on my Q but not on my V so that wasn't helpful to me :(. I'm not at all saying you shouldn't retake it, it just didn't work out for me but if you think you can improve or do better definitely take it again.
I finished my undergrad at Stony Brook University and completed an MA program at Teachers College, Columbia :). I believe the general consensus is that PhD programs usually don't want students with MAs but I think my MA helped show them that I can do well in graduate level courses despite my score and whatever minor language barrier I have..

Hi all -

I (half-heartedly) applied to 2 programs 2 years ago and was not called for an interview. I’ve been using this forum and have learned a lot since then. Here goes….

BS in Psychology, 1996, large public university
MS, Counseling psychology, 1998, GPA 3.7
NCC and LPC since 2001.

GRE: 1995: Verbal 630, Quantitative 560
2009: Verbal 600, Quantitative 570, Analytical 3.5, Psych Subject Test 640
I was worried about the GRE given how long I’ve been out of school. I studied primarily math, felt I did OK, then was crushed that my total score went down compared to the first administration. I really wanted to break 1200.

I have extensive clinical experience in a variety of settings; was also in private practice 2 years. I am 36, willing to relocate, interview well, and can clearly articulate my research interests. I plan to apply to clinical / health psychology phd programs, but will consider psyd, as well as counseling phd programs as needed.

I had very little research experience, so I recently took a position as a research associate in traumatic brain injury at a military hospital. I love my position and my supervisor is a skilled, respected neuropsychologist who understands that this is a stepping stone to a doctoral program. I might apply this fall, giving me about 9 mos as a researcher, but I think my chances are better if I wait a year. I also don’t want to abandon my team mid-study!

I hate to say it, but I’m pretty sure I need to take the damned GRE again. Ugh! Is there a reliable way to study for it?

Does it really make a difference that I’ve been a licensed practicing professional for 10 years now? Or is it all about the numbers? Feedback?

Hi all -

I (half-heartedly) applied to 2 programs 2 years ago and was not called for an interview. I’ve been using this forum and have learned a lot since then. Here goes….

BS in Psychology, 1996, large public university
MS, Counseling psychology, 1998, GPA 3.7
NCC and LPC since 2001.

GRE: 1995: Verbal 630, Quantitative 560
2009: Verbal 600, Quantitative 570, Analytical 3.5, Psych Subject Test 640
I was worried about the GRE given how long I’ve been out of school. I studied primarily math, felt I did OK, then was crushed that my total score went down compared to the first administration. I really wanted to break 1200.

I have extensive clinical experience in a variety of settings; was also in private practice 2 years. I am 36, willing to relocate, interview well, and can clearly articulate my research interests. I plan to apply to clinical / health psychology phd programs, but will consider psyd, as well as counseling phd programs as needed.

I had very little research experience, so I recently took a position as a research associate in traumatic brain injury at a military hospital. I love my position and my supervisor is a skilled, respected neuropsychologist who understands that this is a stepping stone to a doctoral program. I might apply this fall, giving me about 9 mos as a researcher, but I think my chances are better if I wait a year. I also don’t want to abandon my team mid-study!

I hate to say it, but I’m pretty sure I need to take the damned GRE again. Ugh! Is there a reliable way to study for it?

Does it really make a difference that I’ve been a licensed practicing professional for 10 years now? Or is it all about the numbers? Feedback?

I would say it depends on what you want to go for with your degree. I think your stats would be perfectly fine for a university based psyd program, including the funded ones. With psyd programs your clinical experience will be a plus and they generally dont care as much about GRE scores provided that they aren't horrible, which yours aren't. If you really want a funded phd then you're definitely going to have to get your scores up. I was in the same boat as you as far as my GRE scores went so I did a Kaplan prep class and it helped, but they are expensive. You could also look at more balanced programs, sometimes they put less emphasis on the GRE. I'm assuming since you've been a clinician that you would want to stay working in the field as opposed to being a researcher or tenure track, so if I'm wrong you can ignore this part, balanced programs will also be more likely to see your clinical experience as a positive where as more research based programs will not. Also, 9 months of research is a good start but it is always better to be able to show more. What I mean is not just that you've been doing research but some productivity like a paper or presentation, this will go a long way with admission committees and you may not be able to get that in 9 months. Good luck!!

With psyd programs your clinical experience will be a plus and they generally dont care as much about GRE scores provided that they aren't horrible, which yours aren't. If you really want a funded phd then you're definitely going to have to get your scores up.

GRE scores for accepted applicants at funded University-based Psy.D. programs are on par with GRE scores for accepted applicants University-based Ph.D. programs. 1200 tends to be the cutoff for many programs, so you should contact each program you are interested in and see if they have GRE cutoff requirements.

Baylor
Average scores for our newest incoming students (Class of 2015) are 3.71 GPA; 1344 GRE. The submitted materials from each applicant are reviewed and approximately 30 candidates are invited to campus for interviews in late February to early-March. Travel costs are assumed by the applicant and the interview is required for admission. From the group interviewed on campus, approximately 7 students whose abilities and goals are judged to be most compatible with the goals of Baylor's Psy.D. Program are selected for admission. These students are contactedthe middle of Marchor shortly thereafter.

Rutgers
GRE/GPA Data 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
GRE - Verbal Average 630 620 595 630 640 640 610
GRE - Quant Average 680 680 682 690 690 680 670
GRE - Advanced Ave 710 690 700 700 750 710 690
Undergrad GPA Ave 3.57 3.63 3.68 3.71 3.88 3.69 3.61

IU is probably pretty close, loyola is probably 1200-1250, etc.

Last edited:
I wasn't saying that all university based programs don't care at all about the GRE. However, I do know people who were accepted to programs at IUP, Baylor, GW, Pepperdine and Nova Southeastern who had GRE scores in the 1100-1200 range. My point was that with many (but not all) psyd programs a slightly below average gre score is not going to be the kiss of death for your application.

Hello,
Here is my information. I will be a junior this year so I still have a couple years to bolster my application, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I hope to gain entry into a top PhD program in clinical psychology.

GPA: 3.7 (I am going to begin my major coursework this fall so Im hoping to raise this to at least a 3.8 now that I can take psychology courses!!)

GRE: not taken (Still have 2 years to go) But I am generally a very strong test taker.

Research Experience:

*2 independent research projects finished. 2 poster presentations (1 @ APA, 1 @ CDS, and 1 @ college level, all with 1st authorship). I plan to submit my most recent paper for publication. It might be important to note that neither of my independent research directly relates to my research interests (although they are broadly related).

*I plan to complete another independent study for the senior honors thesis. This will hopefully result in more presentations. I also hope to have this study reflect my interest more closely.

*2 years experience as a RA in a developmental neuroscience lab

*Just started a new RA position in a neuropsychology lab. I plan to work there for the next 2 years (until I graduate).

*Plan to work under a POI starting next fall who's research DIRECTLY reflects my interests in TBI. (I highly doubt that I will have any opportunity to do any independent research with him, as most of his research is done with multiple MD's and PhD's. I am just hoping to have a chance to work with the population I am interested in.)

Clinical Experience: 6 months working at a sober living house

Please let me know how I look regarding applying to PhD programs in clinical psychology. THANKS :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to apply to:

Standford-PGSP
Wright Institute
San Francisco State University
Alliant
CIIS

My GPA was a 2.99, but I was an accounting major. Accounting was the hardest major at my undergraduate university. Is this going to kill me?

Right now I have not taken the GRE but I'm an above average test taker.

I'm doing volunteer work (hotline) and soon taking my psychology related prereq's.

Should I do some research work in addition to this volunteer work? and also is it extremely beneficial to do volunteer work with an actual psychologist?

Thanks for any input and/or advice. Thanks so much!

Another Clinical PhD rejectee from last year here...

Like many of you, I've started to reevaluate my career options. Do I really have what it takes to even make it in to a Clinical PhD program? If not, where does that leave me.

Last fall I applied to 6 clinical programs and didn't receive one interview request. I did apply to mainly top notch programs, but I was expecting at least one interview. Here are my stats:

GRE: V-530 Q-770 (I plan to take it again as last year as there was a computer problem that froze all the computers for ~1hr)
GPA: Overall- 3.2, Psych: 3.7 (I was an Engineering-Physics major for my first 2 years. Finished the last 3 semesters with a 4.0 in mainly upper level Psych courses)
Publications - handful of abstracts and poster presentations at EPA and RSA and just first-authored a review article on alcohol pharmacotherapy
Experience - 1 year as undergrad in a Human Factors lab (paid position) and 9 months in a health psychology lab (basic grunt work). I currently have full time RA position for a year now working on a alcohol pharmacotherapy clinical study. I also just started volunteering in a mindfulness/meditation lab, but haven't done anything substantial as of yet.

Fortunately I received some direct feedback from 2 of my POIs and they said 2 things. I lacked relevant research experience (I am interested in mindfulness, strength-based therapies, etc). My overall GPA wasn't good enough to qualify for their university fellowship and that is how this particular school funds the vast majority of their students.

With this volunteer experience I am trying to gain some relevant research experience, so hopefully that should help with the first issue. As for my GPA, there is nothing I can do. Is this going to be a problem for all the schools? What should I work on to become more competitive? Should I focus on less competitive programs?

Any other suggestions?

@spafticus-- 3.2 shouldn't be a problem for all schools. I'd focus on relevant research experience, getting that GRE-Verbal above 600 if possible, and applying to more programs-- Try 8-10 instead of 6, for example. Good luck... I'm guessing you'll have better luck this time around.

I am entering the final year of my undergrad majoring in both Religion and Psychology. I have a 3.94 GPA right now, but I don't have any research experience. I am scheduled to take the GRE at the end of the summer. What score do I need to be competitive?

I would like to go to one of the APA certified Christian PsyD programs next fall, but I'm just trying to figure out to how many I should apply and what my chances are of being accepted.

I am married and have enough saved up now to pay for the first semester up front. Based on their program, location, and cost of living (taking student housing into account) I have listed the schools in order from my favorite to least favorite. What do you guys think?

1. George Fox
2. Fuller
3. Rosemead

*Please don't turn this into a hate thread against Christian PsyD programs... I am well aware of the opinions of many who oppose them.

I am entering the final year of my undergrad majoring in both Religion and Psychology. I have a 3.94 GPA right now, but I don't have any research experience. I am scheduled to take the GRE at the end of the summer. What score do I need to be competitive?

I would like to go to one of the APA certified Christian PsyD programs next fall, but I'm just trying to figure out to how many I should apply and what my chances are of being accepted.

I am married and have enough saved up now to pay for the first semester up front. Based on their program, location, and cost of living (taking student housing into account) I have listed the schools in order from my favorite to least favorite. What do you guys think?

1. George Fox
2. Fuller
3. Rosemead

*Please don't turn this into a hate thread against Christian PsyD programs... I am well aware of the opinions of many who oppose them.

Have you considered Seattle Pacific University?, I believe they're Christian based. Also, I see that you are applying to schools based on program,location and cost of living. By program do you mean research interests? Because it is important to make sure some one there is doing research that matches your interests to advise you. Many schools will not accept you if you are not a research match within a program.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks for everyone who kindly offers their advice on this thread. So like many of you, I've been thinking about the application process for a few years now and this fall I will finally be applying for the first time.

Here are my stats (please be honest :) )

GPA: 3.48
Senior GPA: 3.8
Psychology GPA: Not sure but I wanna guesstimate and say 3.6

GRE SCORES:
So here is the intersting thing, for those of you who don't know the GRE is changing this year and will no longer be scored on a 200-800 scale but rather a 130-170 scale. My question is...does that put me at an advantage if my GRE scores are not that great considering the test is revised and that will have a small sample size to compare it to?
Regardless- I took several practice tests last year and averaged 1150

Research Experience:
I worked in four undergraduate research labs as an RA and although I did not have any presentations or publications I did gain valuable knowledge and experience.
I also worked 8 months as a research coordinator at a prestigious university.

Clinical Experience:
Worked as an undergraduate intern at a mental health center for 4 months.
Worked one year as a TSS for mental ill children and teenagers

I am NOT applying to "top tier" programs aka research oriented programs. I am applying to equal emphasis PhD programs such as Toledo, Idaho state, American, Suffolk, etc.

So what do you all think? Do I even stand at a chance at getting an interview? I'd like to think so, but I'd like some honestly oppinions :)

I want to go into a clinical program. I will be doing an honours thesis this Fall in an animal lab that studies drug addiction. My project was developed independently, specifically it will deal with learning and memory processes mediating drug dependence and whether or not blocking specific receptor types in the reward region can prevent compulsive drug seeking.

I think the biggest roadblock will be your GRE scores. Otherwise you seem to be on the right track. It might be worth taking time after undergrad to get full-time research experience and work on the GRE skills. Good luck!!!

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone who kindly offers their advice on this thread. So like many of you, I've been thinking about the application process for a few years now and this fall I will finally be applying for the first time.

Here are my stats (please be honest :) )

GPA: 3.48
Senior GPA: 3.8
Psychology GPA: Not sure but I wanna guesstimate and say 3.6

GRE SCORES:
So here is the intersting thing, for those of you who don't know the GRE is changing this year and will no longer be scored on a 200-800 scale but rather a 130-170 scale. My question is...does that put me at an advantage if my GRE scores are not that great considering the test is revised and that will have a small sample size to compare it to?
Regardless- I took several practice tests last year and averaged 1150

Research Experience:
I worked in four undergraduate research labs as an RA and although I did not have any presentations or publications I did gain valuable knowledge and experience.
I also worked 8 months as a research coordinator at a prestigious university.

Clinical Experience:
Worked as an undergraduate intern at a mental health center for 4 months.
Worked one year as a TSS for mental ill children and teenagers

I am NOT applying to "top tier" programs aka research oriented programs. I am applying to equal emphasis PhD programs such as Toledo, Idaho state, American, Suffolk, etc.

So what do you all think? Do I even stand at a chance at getting an interview? I'd like to think so, but I'd like some honestly oppinions :)

I can't in good conscience advise you too much, because I don't know much about the programs you seem interested in. However, I'd caution you not to put too much stock in your hopes for the new GRE scores masking a bad score. There are enough psychometricians there that have likely planned for all this, and though I'm sure there will be kinks, you will likely still be receiving percentile scores. Programs will find ways to figure out what's ok for them and what's not. ETS is waiting a few months to report the initial takers' scores, I'd imagine to do their best to equate and work out unanticipated problems. Soooo...I'd start studying!! ;) Get some workbooks or take a course if you need to.

Thank you very much psychPHDstudent for the response. Let me clarify, I am applying to clinical psychology PhD programs that follow the scientist-practioner model placing equal emphasis on both research and clinical practice. Most of the programs on my list are fully funded but some only guarentee partial financial support.

I am going to be applying for clinical/ counseling PHD programs in December, and probably a couple of PsyD programs as well. My top choices are UMaryland, UNC, UVA, Syracuse, and SUNY Albany, but I plan to apply to 12-15 schools

Here is me in a nutshell:

GPA 3.78
Psychology GPA 3.89

GRE Scores
1st attempt 510 verbal, 610 quant
2nd attempt 600 verbal, 530 quant
not where it should be, i know.

I have 125 hours of clinical intern experience at an autism center under an MD (he will be writing one of my recs)
I also have 150 hours interning as a TA at an autism center
and 125 hours of clinical intern experience at a center for LD adults

My recommendations should be very strong and I have high hopes for my letter of interest as I was a double major in english.

I'm in Psi Chi as well as the National English Honors society. I've done one poster presentation at PURC and will be involved in 2 research projects in the fall semester.

Is there hope for me? I know my GRE scores are low, but I'm scared to take it a third time and have my scores not improve a significant amount. I studied a lot after my first test and somehow my math scores still dropped dramatically.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! This process is so nerve wracking!

I am going to be applying for clinical/ counseling PHD programs in December, and probably a couple of PsyD programs as well. My top choices are UMaryland, UNC, UVA, Syracuse, and SUNY Albany, but I plan to apply to 12-15 schools

Here is me in a nutshell:

GPA 3.78
Psychology GPA 3.89

GRE Scores
1st attempt 510 verbal, 610 quant
2nd attempt 600 verbal, 530 quant
not where it should be, i know.

I have 125 hours of clinical intern experience at an autism center under an MD (he will be writing one of my recs)
I also have 150 hours interning as a TA at an autism center
and 125 hours of clinical intern experience at a center for LD adults

My recommendations should be very strong and I have high hopes for my letter of interest as I was a double major in english.

I'm in Psi Chi as well as the National English Honors society. I've done one poster presentation at PURC and will be involved in 2 research projects in the fall semester.

Is there hope for me? I know my GRE scores are low, but I'm scared to take it a third time and have my scores not improve a significant amount. I studied a lot after my first test and somehow my math scores still dropped dramatically.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! This process is so nerve wracking!

Do you have any research experience? I didn't see any listed but wasn't sure if some of your clinical work might have a research component.

Do you have any research experience? I didn't see any listed but wasn't sure if some of your clinical work might have a research component.
I'll be working on two separate research projects starting in August with professors at my school. I wasn't able to assist in the early stages of one of the projects as I was a member of the population being surveyed (study abroad students), but we hope to have the work published by February. I also completed one small research project which was presented as a poster at PURC.

Thank you very much psychPHDstudent for the response. Let me clarify, I am applying to clinical psychology PhD programs that follow the scientist-practioner model placing equal emphasis on both research and clinical practice. Most of the programs on my list are fully funded but some only guarentee partial financial support.

That's valuable extra info, thanks for sharing that. :)

I'll be working on two separate research projects starting in August with professors at my school. I wasn't able to assist in the early stages of one of the projects as I was a member of the population being surveyed (study abroad students), but we hope to have the work published by February. I also completed one small research project which was presented as a poster at PURC.

I think you could still use a bit more research experience considering the schools you are applying to and your GREs. I'd consider doing research full time after undergrad to get more experience. The problem with where you're at now is that you don't have much experience now, and your letter writers will have to speak to your research skills as of where they are in October or so.

My question is really only about the GRE but I will state my overall stats just for reference:

GPA: 4.0 (from a very wellknown and respected school)
Psych GRE: 780 (or 790, I don't really remember)
Clinical Experience: Some interviewing in research settings, and volunteering with the population I want to work with
Research Experience: Right now I work full-time as a research associate. By the time I apply, I will have been working there for 1.5 years. As an undergrad I worked in three different labs (all during my senior year though) and I'm still involved with two of those labs
Pubs and Presentations: One pub (junior author), 1 symposium talk, 4 posters (two national conferences, two undergraduate conferences, one from each category as 1st author). I'm right now working on two more publications with a professor, so hopefully at least one of them will have made it to my CV by the time I apply.
Recommendations should be very good, and my research interest is focused and I only plan to apply to schools where I have a strong fit.

I just came back from taking my GRE and I don't know what to think and I was thinking someone here may be able to help. I am going to apply to some very competitive and research oriented clinical psychology PhDs this fall. My scores are:

Q: 780
V: 580
Total: 1360

I have heard that one should really have 600 in each section so my Verbal score is making me nervous. I have a date in July to retake the GRE if I want to, but I am really excited about my math score and I don't want to risk lowering that score since that'll be my last chance of taking the GRE before the format changes. My verbal scores have always fluctuated a lot when I have taken practice exams. (from around 550 to 650). I think it is because I have learned a lot of difficult words for the exam, but my knowledge about words over all is not great, so if an easy word in the beginning comes along and I don't know it, it messes up much of the exam, because then I'll never reach the level of the words I've been studying.

I am an international student, so I don't know if that will be a mitigating factor when considering my verbal score alone (English is not my native language). I am also planning to take the TOEFL to prove that I know my English.

So, I guess my questions is if you think I should retake the GRE exam in July, or hope that the scores will be enough to get me interviews at competitive schools?

Thanks so much for any feedback you might have!

In a phrase: you're fine.

I'm applying to funded clinical psychology PhD programs, and still working on my list. It is based primarily on fit, looking at mostly "mid-tier" programs

GRE
V - 600
Q - 700
A - 4.5
Retaking this at the end of July, with the hopes or bringing up both scores and ending up closer to a 1400

Undergraduate Cumulative GPA - 3.3 (I started pre-med and seriously struggled my first year
Undergraduate last 60 Credit Hours and Major GPA - 3.8 to 3.9
Also majored in Neuroscience and Biology

Research Experience
2 Years Undergrad, received a three month research fellowship to complete my undergraduate honors work
Post Bac
3 Years as a Research Assistant/Project Coordinator at a university managing one large project and doing diagnostic interviews for two projects
1 Year as a Diagnostic Interviewer for a secondary project through the mental health department of the city that I live in, in conjunction with a university

LOR:
Strong

Publications:
Approximately 10 posters, 5 first authored
3 manuscripts in progress, 1 under review, none first authored

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Minus the GPA (which isn't necessarily problematic, as long as you've shown forward progress and are prepared to discuss it in your statement and/or interviews), you look to be in pretty good shape. Your GREs are fine, I wouldn't stress them. Just make sure you apply to places where you're a good fit.

I am considering applying to some MA programs in mental health counseling as backups. If I complete this degree, does it still make sense to go back and apply to PhD programs again after I finish? Or is it only a Masters in straight psych that people obtain prior to PhD programs?

I am considering applying to some MA programs in mental health counseling as backups. If I complete this degree, does it still make sense to go back and apply to PhD programs again after I finish? Or is it only a Masters in straight psych that people obtain prior to PhD programs?

A research-based masters is often more beneficial, but showing you can do graduate level work is a good thing either way. I know several people in my program who had terminal counseling masters that then came back for the doctorate...

Hi
I am a prospective applicant for Fall 2012 and I plan on applying to Counseling and Clinical PhD programs

My stats:
GRE: V570 Q710 Writing 4.0
GPA: 3.73 (Psych GPA - 3.93)
Minors: Child and Youth Studies, Neuroscience

Research Experience: Summer research intern, 1 year experience as an RA in one lab, 1 semester experience as an RA at another lab, and I will be the Lab Manager for a lab starting this fall.

Clinical Exp: I am a California certified crisis counselor and have 1.5 years working at a rape crisis hotline and providing one-on-one peer counseling to survivors of sexual assault; one summer working with children with autism; one summer working with a domestic violence org.

Teaching Exp: 2 years as a psychological statistics T.A, One semester as a Family Psych T.A, 1 year teaching an abusive relationships workshop to high-school kids

2 Conference Poster Presentations

V.P of my University's Psi Chi chapter

Currently doing my Honors Thesis

Strong LORs

I will apply to 15-20 schools, but the main ones are:
Counseling PhD : UMD College Park, Purdue, ASU, NYU, TC-Columbia, UIUC
Clinical PhD: Texas A&M, U Rochester, IIT, Wayne State, UMich Ann Arbor, UCSB

Here are my concerns:
1. My verbal GRE score, I am an international student who completed my B.A in the US...do you think this will cut me some slack?
2. I am applying straight out of bachelors, and I know that realistically Clinical Psych may be out of my reach (The programs I am applying to have a great research match) but I am more interested in Counseling Psych anyway. Do I stand a fair chance with Counseling programs?

Thanks for any feedback :) This is a nerve-wracking process and I really hope I make it into just one program!

Last edited:

Here are my concerns:
1. My verbal GRE score, I am an international student who completed my B.A in the US...do you think this will cut me some slack?
2. I am applying straight out of bachelors, and I know that realistically Clinical Psych may be out of my reach (The programs I am applying to have a great research match) but I am more interested in Counseling Psych anyway. Do I stand a fair chance with Counseling programs?

Thanks for any feedback :) This is a nerve-wracking process and I really hope I make it into just one program!

1. It isn't a horrible score considering you are an int'l student (I assume English isn't your native language?). Depending on your native language and area of interest, sometimes being int'l can be quite beneficial.

2. If you have a strong research match, I don't think your stats will prevent you from getting interviews at clinical programs, though you'll need to make a good case for why you are the best fit for each program. Counseling programs aren't necessarily easier to get into, they just have a slightly different lean and often don't get quite as many applications.

As for your programs...UMD, Texas A&M, and UMich are three great programs, all of which have excellent research training. In case you aren't aware, UMich is transitioning to a Clinical Science training model. You will still get clinical (therapy & assessment) training, but the program is slanting even more towards producing academic researchers. If you want to do therapy, it won't be a good fit for you. A friend of mine recently went through the program, and while she received some exposure to therapy and more exposure to assessment, there was a very clear focus on research. They offer a half-time captive internship so that students can continue their research while they gain enough clinical hours for licensure.

Last edited:
Hi
I am a prospective applicant for Fall 2012 and I plan on applying to Counseling and Clinical PhD programs

My stats:
GRE: V570 Q710 Writing 4.0
GPA: 3.73 (Psych GPA - 3.93)
Minors: Child and Youth Studies, Neuroscience

Research Experience: Summer research intern, 1 year experience as an RA in one lab, 1 semester experience as an RA at another lab, and I will be the Lab Manager for a lab starting this fall.

Clinical Exp: I am a California certified crisis counselor and have 1.5 years working at a rape crisis hotline and providing one-on-one peer counseling to survivors of sexual assault; one summer working with children with autism; one summer working with a domestic violence org.

Teaching Exp: 2 years as a psychological statistics T.A, One semester as a Family Psych T.A, 1 year teaching an abusive relationships workshop to high-school kids

2 Conference Poster Presentations

V.P of my University's Psi Chi chapter

Currently doing my Honors Thesis

Strong LORs

Here are my concerns:

Here is my perspective on question 1:

I am in the exact same position as you (verbal GRE: 580, English is not my native language), after talking to people on this forum and asking a professor of the psychology department at my undergraduate institution (which has an extremely strong Clinical Psych PhD program) I have been advised to not retake the GRE. The professor said that with excellent other stats (Quantitative GRE, GPA etc), they will cut you some slack regarding the Verbal GRE when they see that it's not your native language. That said, it will obviously vary from school to school, and I'm sure some schools will be more understanding than others.

Another suggestion is to take the TOEFL. I think it's nice to send it in to schools just to show them that the language will not prevent you from doing well in grad-school.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I am currently a law student but I would like to go for a PhD when I am done. I want to do interdisciplinary work in academia. I have no formal Psychology education at all. My background is in Political Science and Economics. I am very interested in social psychology. I would want to study individual and group decision making.

Undergrad GPA was 3.95/4.0
1 year of law school left. Top 50 School. Top 10% of my class.
Scored in the top 15% nationally on the LSAT but have not taken the GRE.
I am Editor-in-Chief of a Law Journal in Law, Economics & Policy. Note law journals are student edited so it is pretty intensive academic writing work. It should show a real dedication to academic scholarship.
I have also done very well in Moot Court Competitions which are equal parts research and public speaking.

I am not looking to go to a number one ranked school but I do want a strong respectable program and funding. What schools would be the best schools for me to apply to given my background in Law, Economics and Policy to get a PhD in Psychology and do interdisciplinary academic work. From the research I've done Chicago looks very appealing especially if I can be involved in the Center for Decision Research there.

Anyway, any guidance you guys can give me on where to look and what sort of GRE score ranges I need for a few programs that would appreciate my background and interests would be most appreciated.

I am currently a law student but I would like to go for a PhD when I am done. I want to do interdisciplinary work in academia. I have no formal Psychology education at all. My background is in Political Science and Economics. I am very interested in social psychology. I would want to study individual and group decision making.

Undergrad GPA was 3.95/4.0
1 year of law school left. Top 50 School. Top 10% of my class.
Scored in the top 15% nationally on the LSAT but have not taken the GRE.
I am Editor-in-Chief of a Law Journal in Law, Economics & Policy. Note law journals are student edited so it is pretty intensive academic writing work. It should show a real dedication to academic scholarship.
I have also done very well in Moot Court Competitions which are equal parts research and public speaking.

I am not looking to go to a number one ranked school but I do want a strong respectable program and funding. What schools would be the best schools for me to apply to given my background in Law, Economics and Policy to get a PhD in Psychology and do interdisciplinary academic work. From the research I've done Chicago looks very appealing especially if I can be involved in the Center for Decision Research there.

Anyway, any guidance you guys can give me on where to look and what sort of GRE score ranges I need for a few programs that would appreciate my background and interests would be most appreciated.

Your law performance will go in the "pro" column when you're evaluated, but you'll have to concede that law and psychology are different fields, requiring many of the same skills but also different, specialized skills. You'll need to narrow down your research interests much more to come up with a good list and get into a good social psych program, and you'll most likely need at least a year or two of research experience in psychology. Psych usually runs on mentor model, so you're applying moreso to fit with a professor than to the program as a whole. We have a strong social psych/JDM department here, so the cutoffs are probably more extreme than most. I asked around and it seems you'd want at least a 1300 to get looked at, and since you have no psych background, you might need to take the psych GRE and/or take prereqs at the undergrad level. Most of the grads here had several years of research experience including at least one independent project. My advice would be to determine programs/mentors that interest you first, and then inquire about GREs.

Hi, I've decided to post to see if someone here could help me make a decision. I'll be graduating next year (psych major, biology minor) and I've already decided to wait an extra year to apply to grad school. I'm just trying to decide if I should go into a master's program first or take a shot at applying to PhD programs.
When I graduate these will be my numbers:
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Psych & Last 60 Hrs GPA: 4.0
GRE V: 670 (94th %tile)
GRE Q: 760 (85th %tile)
AW: 4.5 (67th %tile)
Research: I will have 2 years of cognitive psych research experience and some (not sure how much, right now) experience with a neuroimaging study.
Right now, I've working on a poster to present at a conference. Hopefully, I'll have another poster presentation when I graduate.
Letters: This is a problem for me. I think I can get one letter from the professor with whom I'm doing the cognitive research. The neuroimaging study is being done by a grad student. I'm hoping if I stick with it, I could get a letter from her supervisor, the PI. Otherwise, I have no one else to ask right now. I'm hoping my chemistry professor will write a letter for me after I take another class with him.
The LOR issue is the biggest reason I decided to wait a year before applying. Of course, I'm worried about my GPA too.

So if I can get the letters together, will I have a chance at getting into my dream schools? Or will I be better off getting a master's first? I'm really interested in neuroscience programs. Specifically, Rutgers and Wisconsin-Madison.

Thanks!

Hi Grazzle,

Did you take one or more upper-year psychology courses with a prof? If so, they might be a good candidate for your third letter, especially if you wrote a paper for the class or it was a smaller class and they might remember you. (Either of those would be fine).

You have a chance at PhD programs, yes. You might consider applying to BOTH Masters and PhD programs, and then you'll hopefully have some choices about where you go.

Good luck!

Hi, I've decided to post to see if someone here could help me make a decision. I'll be graduating next year (psych major, biology minor) and I've already decided to wait an extra year to apply to grad school. I'm just trying to decide if I should go into a master's program first or take a shot at applying to PhD programs.
When I graduate these will be my numbers:
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Psych & Last 60 Hrs GPA: 4.0
GRE V: 670 (94th %tile)
GRE Q: 760 (85th %tile)
AW: 4.5 (67th %tile)
Research: I will have 2 years of cognitive psych research experience and some (not sure how much, right now) experience with a neuroimaging study.
Right now, I've working on a poster to present at a conference. Hopefully, I'll have another poster presentation when I graduate.
Letters: This is a problem for me. I think I can get one letter from the professor with whom I'm doing the cognitive research. The neuroimaging study is being done by a grad student. I'm hoping if I stick with it, I could get a letter from her supervisor, the PI. Otherwise, I have no one else to ask right now. I'm hoping my chemistry professor will write a letter for me after I take another class with him.
The LOR issue is the biggest reason I decided to wait a year before applying. Of course, I'm worried about my GPA too.

So if I can get the letters together, will I have a chance at getting into my dream schools? Or will I be better off getting a master's first? I'm really interested in neuroscience programs. Specifically, Rutgers and Wisconsin-Madison.

Thanks!

Given the big contrast between your cGPA and last 60 hours GPA, I'm curious about your grades--if you're applying to neuroscience programs, your grades in the basic sciences (bio, chem) will probably matter a lot more than if you were applying to, say, clinical or social psych programs.

SUNY New Paltz - MA Psychology
University at Buffalo - MA Psychology
Stony Brook - PhD Social/Health Psychology
Syracuse University - PhD Social Psychology
UC Riverside - PhD Social Psychology
UC Irvine - PhD Social Psychology
University of New Haven - MA Community Psychology
Adelphi University - MA Psychology
American University - MA Psychology
SUNY Brockport - MA Psychology

Credentials:

Undergrad Overall GPA: 3.88
Undergrad Psychology GPA: 4.00

GRE Verbal: 540
GRE Quantitative: 730
GRE Analytical Writing: 4.0

- 1 1/2 years research experience - presented and was a finalist at college's annual research show
- Internship in Health Education Office - authored a proposal for a project that earned a grant and presented project at college's annual research show
- Teaching Assistant for Personality Theory and Research Methods I

Other Involvement:
Resident Advisor for 3 semesters
Tour Guide for 5 semesters
Orientation Leader for 1 summer

Hey guys! I could really use your help. I am going to be applying for counseling psychology programs this fall, and I don't know if I should apply for masters or phd/psyd programs. I live in NY but am willing to attend grad school anywhere in the country.

My stats
Overall GPA: 3.99
Psych GPA: 4.00

GRE Q: 700
GRE V: 520
GRE A/W: 5

Research experience: Research Intern for 9 months at a non-profit organization conducting a study for people living with HIV/AIDS in urban neighborhoods.

Clinical/counseling experience: Counseling intern for 6 months at a day treatment program for people with mental illnesses. I am running therapy groups for topics such as managing anxiety, coping with depression, relapse prevention, etc.

Misc: officer for two student organizations; member of PSI CHI; worked for two years at a community center.

What are my chances of getting into a funded counseling doctoral program? I worry about the costs of funding a masters degree. Can anyone give me some insight or perhaps schools that may be more in my reach?

Thank you all so much!! :xf:

Your stats are fine. Provided you're applying to programs based on fit & research interests I think you wouldn't have difficulty gaining acceptance from a funded program.