This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I'm applying to clinical psych PhD programs for the fall of 2012. I'm looking at BU, Temple, the joint program at UC San Diego/SDSU, and the University of British Columbia, among others. Here's my background:

Overall GPA: 3.56
Last 2 years GPA: 3.79
Psych GPA: 3.85

GRE: 1520 (740v, 780q)

By the time I apply, I will have 2 years experience as a research coordinator in one lab, and 6 months experience as an RA in another. Both of these positions are under pretty legit PIs.

I do not have a psych undergrad degree. My BA is in film, but I took some post-bacc psych courses (two intro, two stats, research methods, psychopathology, counseling).

What are my chances?

Has your research experience been full time? Have you done anything independent in the research? Are your letter writers well connected?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of programs are you applying to? The quant will be too low for research focused programs. Can you retake it?

Hello,

Thanks for your input. I can't retake it, as I took the test just before they made the August 2011 changes and haven't studied for the new question types.

I'm applying to Clinical PhD programs that follow scientist-practitioner models, some of which include University of Tennessee, Binghamton University, and University of Maryland at Baltimore County. I received good grades in my stats/math courses, and plan to discuss my experience as a tutor in my SoP and have my letter writers address this as well.

Would it be at all helpful if I got in contact with admissions committees/professors to ask their opinion on whether or not I'd get weeded out? I'd appreciate any next-step suggestions.

Thank you.

Last edited:
1) look for schools that have cutoffs below your combined GRE score (this is difficult to know since most schools don't report cutoffs and they may even be different from professor to professor, but keep in mind that just because a school is allowed to or even has accepted someone with a, for instance, 1250 doesn't mean much... that could have been an exception for someone that a professor already personally knows, etc).

Thank you for this. I've looked at the Student Admissions/Outcome data posted on each school's website. For almost all of the schools I am applying to, there are no cutoffs, but they list that the mean/median GRE-Q score is about 610-680. Other schools list that their cutoff is a combined score of 1100. For the schools whose GRE-Q means are in the low to high 600 range, do I still stand a chance?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this. I've looked at the Student Admissions/Outcome data posted on each school's website. For almost all of the schools I am applying to, there are no cutoffs, but they list that the mean/median GRE-Q score is about 610-680 (I received a 600). Other schools list that their cutoff is a combined score of 1100. For the schools whose GRE-Q means are in the low to high 600 range, do I still stand a chance?

Thanks for your time.

As a rule of thumb, 40 points is probably about a standard deviation from the mean for one component (q/v) of the test (i.e. ~80 points for combined scores), and so if your z = <-1 standard deviation below the mean (if m > 640 in your case), you're probably taking an unnecessary risk. Of course, people <-1 standard deviation certainly get in sometimes, it's simply less probable for any given person. This is just my subjective opinion, for what it's worth. It does help that your v score is good. Anyway, only you can decide how much risk is too much risk! Personally, I wouldn't discourage you from applying to two or three schools where you might be near -1 SD, IF you really like the schools, but it probably shouldn't be the case with most of schools you apply to.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm applying to clinical psych PhD programs for the fall of 2012. I'm looking at BU, Temple, the joint program at UC San Diego/SDSU, and the University of British Columbia, among others. Here's my background:

Overall GPA: 3.56
Last 2 years GPA: 3.79
Psych GPA: 3.85

GRE: 1520 (740v, 780q)

By the time I apply, I will have 2 years experience as a research coordinator in one lab, and 6 months experience as an RA in another. Both of these positions are under pretty legit PIs.

I do not have a psych undergrad degree. My BA is in film, but I took some post-bacc psych courses (two intro, two stats, research methods, psychopathology, counseling).

What are my chances?

Do you have any publications/presentations? Your stats are competitive and will most likely get you looked at/past the first cut. I think your ability to get an interview at those schools will depend on your past research productivity, "fit" with the program, and LORs. Being a research coordinator w/o pubs/presentations is usually not enough for research heavy programs unless you've got connections (e.g., you work for a well-respected PI who is willing to make a personal call on your behalf)

Has your research experience been full time? Have you done anything independent in the research? Are your letter writers well connected?

Research has been partially part-time and partially full-time. I've conducted a study as first author under the PI in the lab I work in and am presenting a poster at ABCT and drafting a manuscript for publication.

One letter writer is just a professor, the other is the top of her field, but I've only been working with her for a short time and her interests don't line up with my own. The third is recognized as THE guy for his area of interest (which is the area I'm pursuing) and will give me a stellar rec. Thoughts?

Hi all,
your input is requested.
I am applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs (3rd time around) that almost exclusively have a heavy research focus.

Here are my stats:
GRE: 1280 (530V, 750M)
Subject GRE: 610 ( I know it's not great, I took it right out of undergrad)
TOEFL: 99th percentile (English isn't my first language)
Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (large research state university)
Grad GPA: 3.6 - M.A. in General/Experimental Psych at a small (but fully funded) liberal arts school

2.5 years of undergrad research experience + honors thesis
2 years of graduate research experience + emprical masters thesis
Currently full-time research associate in a lab for a well-known professor in the field.

Publications: Only 1 as third author for book chapter (potentially several more coming as the result of working with profs at my M.A. school as well as potentially two out of my masters thesis but this won't be certain by the time I apply)
Presentations: 20 (with 12 of them being first author)

Letters of rec: Two from my M.A. professors with whom I worked closely over the past two years - they should be very solid. The third one will be from the prof I am currently a full time research associate for. He is well known in the field but by the time I apply he will have only worked with me for 4 months so I don't know how much they weigh his opinion.

I know that overall it doesn't look bad but it is the third time I am applying and I am slowly running out of ideas what I can do to improve my credentials. Also, my verbal GRE is on the low side (but at least I have the not-being-a-native-speaker-thing going for me). It's not horrific and my combined score is above 1200 but given the tremendous energy and money I have invested in this process over the years I really don't want to have apply a 4th time.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Accidentally didn't log in above, apparently.

Research has been partially part-time and partially full-time. I've conducted a study as first author under the PI in the lab I work in and am presenting a poster at ABCT and drafting a manuscript for publication.

One letter writer is just a professor, the other is the top of her field, but I've only been working with her for a short time and her interests don't line up with my own. The third is recognized as THE guy for his area of interest (which is the area I'm pursuing) and will give me a stellar rec. Thoughts?

Accidentally didn't log in above, apparently.

Is the poster first author? Again you are well positioned in terms of test scores/psych gpa, but I do think some of the more research heavy programs may be concerned re: productivity especially given the amt of time in a research position. You'll be in a better position if you can get that manuscript under review by the time of application. That being said it is a field where it matters who you know so you'll have a leg up if THE guy writes you a great letter of rec (provided the people you apply to work with respect/don't have some major personal or ideological beef w/ THE guy). I graduated from BU so feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions (I'm reluctant to say much more on a public forum).

is it possible to get into a clinical psych doc program w/o research experience? The only things close are As in cog psych lab and stats. I have a 3.96 gpa, good letters of rec, and 3 internships under my belt in hospice, homelessness, and college transition counseling as well as experience working with children with behavioral difficulties. If i also had excellent GRE scores would i have a chance of getting in w/o research experience or should i take a year to work as an RA?

is it possible to get into a clinical psych doc program w/o research experience? The only things close are As in cog psych lab and stats. I have a 3.96 gpa, good letters of rec, and 3 internships under my belt in hospice, homelessness, and college transition counseling as well as experience working with children with behavioral difficulties. If i also had excellent GRE scores would i have a chance of getting in w/o research experience or should i take a year to work as an RA?

You should definitely take a year off. Research experience is probably THE most important component for getting accepted into a PhD program (although good scores are also extremely important during the first review of your application). Actually, I would advice you to take two years off (apply after you've been out 1.5 years) to really have a good chance against other applicants that will have years of experience. Good luck! :luck:

Edit: haha, just noticed the almost identical response above!

Hi all,
your input is requested.
I am applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs (3rd time around) that almost exclusively have a heavy research focus.

Here are my stats:
GRE: 1280 (530V, 750M)
Subject GRE: 610 ( I know it's not great, I took it right out of undergrad)
TOEFL: 99th percentile (English isn't my first language)
Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (large research state university)
Grad GPA: 3.6 - M.A. in General/Experimental Psych at a small (but fully funded) liberal arts school

2.5 years of undergrad research experience + honors thesis
2 years of graduate research experience + emprical masters thesis
Currently full-time research associate in a lab for a well-known professor in the field.

Publications: Only 1 as third author for book chapter (potentially several more coming as the result of working with profs at my M.A. school as well as potentially two out of my masters thesis but this won't be certain by the time I apply)
Presentations: 20 (with 12 of them being first author)

Letters of rec: Two from my M.A. professors with whom I worked closely over the past two years - they should be very solid. The third one will be from the prof I am currently a full time research associate for. He is well known in the field but by the time I apply he will have only worked with me for 4 months so I don't know how much they weigh his opinion.

I know that overall it doesn't look bad but it is the third time I am applying and I am slowly running out of ideas what I can do to improve my credentials. Also, my verbal GRE is on the low side (but at least I have the not-being-a-native-speaker-thing going for me). It's not horrific and my combined score is above 1200 but given the tremendous energy and money I have invested in this process over the years I really don't want to have apply a 4th time.

Thanks!

Couple of thoughts:

1) Your GRE may be getting you screened out of some programs--but likely not all.

2) My main concern would be the seeming imbalance between your research experience/presentation count and your relative lack of publications. Namely, I'd wonder why things were getting presented but not written/submitted/accepted. Of course, pretty much everyone has more posters/presentations than publications, but that much of an imbalance could raise eyebrows, especially at research heavy programs. Will you have any submitted by application time? That wouldn't look as good as accepted publications, but it might help some by showing that you can at least get manuscripts out for review.

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts:

1) Your GRE may be getting you screened out of some programs--but I won't think all.

2) My many concern would be the seeming imbalance between your research experience/presentation count and your relative lack of publications. Namely, I'd wonder why things were getting presented but not written/submitted/accepted. Of course, pretty much everyone has more posters/presentations than publications, but that much of an imbalance could raise eyebrows, especially at research heavy programs. Will you have any submitted by application time? That wouldn't look as good as accepted publications, but it might help some by showing that you can at least get manuscripts out for review.

Good luck! :luck:

Nothing I did in undergrad was publication worthy. Even my honors thesis, though I a good idea I believe, simply wasn't publication material. And then I went on to a small research M.A. program where the focus was to get grad students involved in research but it was at a somewhat low level (most of our participants are from the undegrad participant pool...you get the idea). The abundance of poster presentations really is the result of using the data collection process for my masters thesis to investigate other things I was interested in within my area but again not everything I was interested turned out the way I expected and -lets face it- non-signifant findings don't make it into research journals but you can often still present them as a poster. Also, I did a follow up assessment 6 months later which was separate from the original data collection.

Like I said, I want to publish but most of my professors are dragging their feet. My advisor just left the school and is mentoring me via email now (which isn't really a big deal since I moved as well) to write up the remaining part of my thesis and the other one has a lot of teaching responsibilities so everything that isn't essential gets put on the back burner. I feel that in a year from now I can potentially have 3 first authored pubs at least under review (if not in press) and one more as 2nd author under review. But of course that doesn't help right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing I did in undergrad was publication worthy. Even my honors thesis, though I a good idea I believe, simply wasn't publication material. And then I went on to a small research M.A. program where the focus was to get grad students involved in research but it was at a somewhat low level (most of our participants are from the undegrad participant pool...you get the idea). The abundance of poster presentations really is the result of using the data collection process for my masters thesis to investigate other things I was interested in within my area but again not everything I was interested turned out the way I expected and -lets face it- non-signifant findings don't make it into research journals but you can often still present them as a poster. Also, I did a follow up assessment 6 months later which was separate from the original data collection.

Like I said, I want to publish but most of my professors are dragging their feet. My advisor just left the school and is mentoring me via email now (which isn't really a big deal since I moved as well) to write up the remaining part of my thesis and the other one has a lot of teaching responsibilities so everything that isn't essential gets put on the back burner. I feel that in a year from now I can potentially have 3 first authored pubs at least under review (if not in press) and one more as 2nd author under review. But of course that doesn't help right now.

Could you possibly get any of those submitted (at least) by application time (i.e., December-January)? I think having stuff at least under review could help present you as a productive researcher.

Could you possibly get any of those submitted (at least) by application time (i.e., December-January)? I think having stuff at least under review could help present you as a productive researcher.

I would like to answer that question with a confident "Yes" but given where I am with the analyses for the main research questions (those that I'm think are publishable) at this point, I highly doubt it. Not because I am not willing to put in the hourse besides my full time job and preparing grad school apps but simply because I the prof who would oversee it is not going to give me feedback in a timely manner. And given that it is my first publication I think I will need a lot of it. I'd be happy to commit to submitting weekly revisions to her - even for both pubs - but I know she won't get back to me on that same basis...so I feel it's out of my hands. I could take matters in my own hands but I'm not sure how good of an idea that is.

As a rule of thumb, 40 points is probably about a standard deviation from the mean for one component (q/v) of the test (i.e. ~80 points for combined scores), and so if your z = <-1 standard deviation below the mean (if m > 640 in your case), you're probably taking an unnecessary risk. Of course, people <-1 standard deviation certainly get in sometimes, it's simply less probable for any given person. This is just my subjective opinion, for what it's worth. It does help that your v score is good. Anyway, only you can decide how much risk is too much risk! Personally, I wouldn't discourage you from applying to two or three schools where you might be near -1 SD, IF you really like the schools, but it probably shouldn't be the case with most of schools you apply to.

I was a tutor for stats for a few months, and a letter of rec will come from my advanced statistics prof who thinks very highly of me. I also tutored for his class in the past. Would this be at all helpful in having admissions committees overlook my GRE score?

I was a tutor for stats for a few months, and a letter of rec will come from my advanced statistics prof who thinks very highly of me. I also tutored for his class in the past. Would this be at all helpful in having admissions committees overlook my GRE score?

If they have a cutoff to cut down on the number of apps they review, no. Depends on the program.

Wondering if someone could provide me with some direction..

I have completed my Bachelor's (in pre-law) but have completed many psychology classes as well. I have a good GPA, about 3.8 and I am about to take the GREs after completing a Princeton Review Course. I hope to apply for the Fall of 2012. As far as experience, i have worked in a few camps for "troubled teens" where counseling was a big part of the day, I have studied abroad working with individuals at risk, as well as an internship at Shephard Pratt in Baltimore. Aside from that, I don't have alot of experience as far as research is concerned. I am very motivated and have been told my whole life how natural psychology comes to me and I really want to pursue a PhD/PsyD program.. whats the best way to go from here? which programs will be my best bet??

I posted once before and didn't get a response, so here goes again. :)

3.85 GPA, major in Psych, minor in Philosophy (very proud of having taken the hardest classes I could throughout my undergrad career)

1420 GRE, 770 Q, 650 V, 5.0 A

1 year research apprentice in cog.sci lab at my undergrad institution, recruited and ran 60 participants in a vision study

3 months research assistant at a university other than my undergrad institution, worked full time in the lab and assisted with physiological data collection at another lab on the campus as well

won a prestigious departmental prize at my school for outstanding psychology research proposal

completed honors thesis (entirely independently) in my school's senior Psych Honors program, running a study utilizing 30 subjects, did it all myself from IRB proposal to oral defense of thesis to the department

2 poster presentations, 1 at a UMASS undergrad conference (my univ. system), one at the annual SSTAR national conference

since graduation, I've been working in intake as an access counselor at pretty much the largest community mental health agency in my city (Portland, ME). LOTS of exposure to and interaction with people of all ages, most with pretty severe mental illness, and the job gets pretty darn clinical at times.

No publications. Boo, I know.

UMaine is my top choice for many reasons, but I will also be applying other schools within the general geographic region. Not trying to get into Harvard, just wanting a good program with a decent balance of clinical and research.

Whatcha think?

Oh, and I am taking a graduate course in Statistics as a non-matriculated student at a local university this fall. I thought it would give me good exposure to what grad classes are like, and I also thought it would help me to refresh and expand upon my knowledge of Stats.

Just started studying for the Psych GRE, planning to take it in April.

PhishGirl - In general, seems like you have a decent shot at balanced programs, but your research experience sounds like it is on the light side even for those types of programs. The honor's thesis is great and along with your other experiences may be sufficient, but given it sounds like you have geographical restrictions it is especially important to be strong across the board.

If things don't pan out (and I'm not by any means saying they won't!) you may want to seek out some opportunities to get involved in clinical research, preferably on some larger grant-funded projects.

edit: Just realized you are probably not applying this year if you aren't taking the PsychGRE until April. I'd see if you can find a volunteer opportunity in a research lab nearby, and get some experience working on larger projects. Hard to tell for sure without knowing more details about the projects, but it sounds like the studies you've been on have been smaller-scale. I think regardless of the research emphasis of the program - experience with large, grant-funded research is among the most highly valued experiences for applicants.

Last edited:
Wondering if someone could provide me with some direction..

I have completed my Bachelor's (in pre-law) but have completed many psychology classes as well. I have a good GPA, about 3.8 and I am about to take the GREs after completing a Princeton Review Course. I hope to apply for the Fall of 2012. As far as experience, i have worked in a few camps for "troubled teens" where counseling was a big part of the day, I have studied abroad working with individuals at risk, as well as an internship at Shephard Pratt in Baltimore. Aside from that, I don't have alot of experience as far as research is concerned. I am very motivated and have been told my whole life how natural psychology comes to me and I really want to pursue a PhD/PsyD program.. whats the best way to go from here? which programs will be my best bet??

You will need research experience for a PhD program. What is your eventual career goal?

Ollie, thanks for the feedback! I agree with you, and I would definitely like to beef up my research experience while I take time off from school. I had been hoping for a paid research job, but as that seems less likely to happen, perhaps I need to start seeking volunteer opportunities.

I will be applying next fall, which is something I should have mentioned! I wanted to post in this thread because I am intent on trying to do as much as I can to prepare myself for the application process. Your input is much appreciated. :)

I posted once before and didn't get a response, so here goes again. :)

3.85 GPA, major in Psych, minor in Philosophy (very proud of having taken the hardest classes I could throughout my undergrad career)

1420 GRE, 770 Q, 650 V, 5.0 A

1 year research apprentice in cog.sci lab at my undergrad institution, recruited and ran 60 participants in a vision study

3 months research assistant at a university other than my undergrad institution, worked full time in the lab and assisted with physiological data collection at another lab on the campus as well

won a prestigious departmental prize at my school for outstanding psychology research proposal

completed honors thesis (entirely independently) in my school's senior Psych Honors program, running a study utilizing 30 subjects, did it all myself from IRB proposal to oral defense of thesis to the department

2 poster presentations, 1 at a UMASS undergrad conference (my univ. system), one at the annual SSTAR national conference

since graduation, I've been working in intake as an access counselor at pretty much the largest community mental health agency in my city (Portland, ME). LOTS of exposure to and interaction with people of all ages, most with pretty severe mental illness, and the job gets pretty darn clinical at times.

No publications. Boo, I know.

UMaine is my top choice for many reasons, but I will also be applying other schools within the general geographic region. Not trying to get into Harvard, just wanting a good program with a decent balance of clinical and research.

Whatcha think?

When are you applying? I'd continue doing research if at all possible, even if volunteer.

This is my story..

Switched into Psychology during the spring semester of my junior year. During my sophomore year I was sick pretty much continually the whole year resulting in C's in pretty much all of my science classes, but I don't really want to say anything about it in my application as I don't want anyone to think i'm making excuses. Anyway, now that I want to get a Ph.D. and do research in pediatric psychology.

My undergrad GPA right now is only a 3.35, but should be able to be raised to a 3.4 by the end of this fall semester.
My psych GPA is a 3.82, and again can be raised to a 3.9 if I get A's in all of my classes this semester.

Obviously my undergrad GPA is quite low, and is what I am most worried about. I have C's in bio, chem, and physics classes, but I am very good at math and have A's in Calc and Statistics.

I took the revised GRE the first week of August, so while I don't know my exact score yet, they did give me a range that my scores will fall into based on the old grading system. However these ranges are 100 points apart and doesn't help me pinpoint how well I did. I will be taking the Psych GRE in October.

Verbal: 580-680
Quantitative: 690-790

As for research experience, I have worked since May in a pediatric psychology lab and will have a journal article submitted and a poster submitted(the poster for The 25th Anniversary Midwest Regional Conference on Pediatric Psychology). I will be 2nd or 3rd author on the article and 1st author on the poster.

I don't have any psychological clinic experience, but I have worked as a nursing assistant in a hospital for over a year. I know this doesn't really qualify, but since pediatric psych involves those with medical conditions I hope that it might be at least a little useful.

I know my background isn't very strong, and my GPA is going to kill me, but I will have a strong LOR from my lab adviser, considering that the schools I will be applying to and the faculty members I would want to work with know her quite well and are good friends with her.

I am of course going to be applying for master's programs, and my advisor and I have talked about research jobs if grad school doesn't work out, but of course I would love to be accepted into a Ph.D. program! Most of the schools I am applying to aren't really "top tier" but ped psych is a rather specialized area and I am applying to schools based on the research interests of a particular faculty member rather than anything else.

Any other future pediatric psychologists out there?

You will need research experience for a PhD program. What is your eventual career goal?
I am eventually hoping to become a psychologist either within a school or the private realm.. because I am not as interested on the research end of things, would it make sense to do a PsyD program? I have heard of this Carlos Albizu school in florida which has a PsyD program that is not very competitive.. aside from the high cost, what are the downfalls of going to a school like this considering you come out with a doctorate?

I am eventually hoping to become a psychologist either within a school or the private realm.. because I am not as interested on the research end of things, would it make sense to do a PsyD program? I have heard of this Carlos Albizu school in florida which has a PsyD program that is not very competitive.. aside from the high cost, what are the downfalls of going to a school like this considering you come out with a doctorate?

Please do a search on this forum regarding this topic - there is much already posted about the pros and cons of the PsyD as well as PsyD vs PhD. Best of luck!

As of right now, I'm seriously considering Master's programs in both Psychology & Sociology. Would a MA in Sociology hurt my chances of getting into a PhD program for Clinical Psych upon graduation? Would a MA in Psych make more sense? Is a MA not a logical step before applying for PhD programs?

My thinking behind the MA in Sociology is that it will afford me the opportunity to teach at the collegiate level upon graduation, and it will also give me an advanced knowledge of Sociology. It is my understanding that most Clinical Psych programs will award students with a MA en route to their PhD, and in my head (Please, correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't make sense to have two MA's in Psychology as well as a PhD. I apologize for the onslaught of questions, and if you would like any additional information please don't hesitate to ask. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dependent upon the program, you would not necessarily receive two master's degrees. I had my master's prior to entering my doctoral program. I have now surpassed the requirements for another master's degree, and I will not receive "another" master's degree because I already had a master's degree upon my matriculation, so they entered me directly into the doctoral program. ALL OTHER STUDENTS are technically admitted as pursuing their master's degree (even though there is not a terminal master's option) and are not admitted to the doctoral program until they have completed the requirement for the master's degree (although they are technically admitted into the doctoral program when they interview). Yeah, I know, it sounds screwy. So, anyway, I may have the "equivalent" of two master's degrees, but I only have one at this point.

Otherwise, you are correct in that you would typically be awarded a master's en route to your doctorate. However, even if you completed a master's degree in psych, this does not mean that you will necessarily receive another master's degree in psych.

Have you considered pursuing research assistant options (potentially as employment)? I know that your post indicated you have "extensive" research experience, but the more, the merrier. Terminal degrees have their place for some students, but it's not necessarily the "next logical step" for everyone. (Search the forum for other discussions on terminal degrees...)

G'luck! :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs with a focus in Neuropsychology,. I will be applying to more practice-oriented programs (so, Northwestern's med school program, University of Florida, etc). I am open to a PsyD, but I can't find any quality PsyD programs that have a neuropsych focus, plus I don't think it's financially viable for me.

Stats:
Undergraduate GPA: 3.7 (at a prestigious university, although I don't know if that makes a difference)
Psych GPA: 3.8
GRE (took the new GRE so I got score ranges instead of concrete scores)
V - 640-740
Q - 750-800

Related research experience: 1 year as an RA in a cognitive neuroscience lab, 1 year (will be 2 years by graduation) as an RA in a second cognitive neuroscience lab. Currently working on a senior honor's thesis.

Related psych experience: VP of Psi Chi, executive editor of the school's undergraduate psychology journal (publishes articles from undergrads nationwide), director of publicity for the school's undergraduate psychology research conference (again, showcases work from undergrads nationwide).

Also, I am a CC transfer student, so I accomplished all of this within the 15 months or so that I've been at this school. Hopefully that will give the reviewers an idea of my work ethic and dedication to research that will partially offset the experience part of the app.

In addition, suggestions of schools that fit the profile I'm looking for (strong neuropsych, more practice focused) would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
University of North Dakota's Clinical Psych PhD program doesn't have an official Neuropsych track, but offers a lot of opportunities in Neuropsych research and placements. It's also more practice-oriented.

University of North Dakota's Clinical Psych PhD program doesn't have an official Neuropsych track, but offers a lot of opportunities in Neuropsych research and placements. It's also more practice-oriented.
Thanks! I'll give them a look soon.

I originally posted this a couple months back and never got any responses so I am posting it again in the hopes someone will let me know what they think :).....

Hello,
Here is my information. I will be a junior this year so I still have a couple years to bolster my application, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I hope to gain entry into a top PhD program in clinical psychology.

GPA: 3.7 (I am going to begin my major coursework this fall so Im hoping to raise this to at least a 3.8 now that I can take psychology courses!!)

GRE: not taken (Still have 2 years to go) But I am generally a very strong test taker.

Research Experience:

*2 independent research projects finished. 2 poster presentations (1 @ APA, 1 @ CDS, and 1 @ college level, all with 1st authorship). I plan to submit my most recent paper for publication. It might be important to note that neither of my independent research directly relates to my research interests (although they are broadly related).

*I plan to complete another independent study for the senior honors thesis. This will hopefully result in more presentations. I also hope to have this study reflect my interest more closely.

*2 years experience as a RA in a developmental neuroscience lab

*Just started a new RA position in a neuropsychology lab. I plan to work there for the next 2 years (until I graduate).

*Plan to work under a POI starting next fall who's research DIRECTLY reflects my interests in TBI. (I highly doubt that I will have any opportunity to do any independent research with him, as most of his research is done with multiple MD's and PhD's. I am just hoping to have a chance to work with the population I am interested in.)

Clinical Experience: 6 months working at a sober living house

Please let me know how I look regarding applying to PhD programs in clinical psychology. THANKS :)

Without GRE data to evaluate within the context of your application any thoughts would be wild guesses at this point. I suggest taking the GRE and seeing where you stand.

I originally posted this a couple months back and never got any responses so I am posting it again in the hopes someone will let me know what they think :).....

Hello,
Here is my information. I will be a junior this year so I still have a couple years to bolster my application, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I hope to gain entry into a top PhD program in clinical psychology.

GPA: 3.7 (I am going to begin my major coursework this fall so Im hoping to raise this to at least a 3.8 now that I can take psychology courses!!)

GRE: not taken (Still have 2 years to go) But I am generally a very strong test taker.
:)

Hi! I'm applying to clinical psych PhD programs for the fall of 2012.

The schools that I am currently looking at are (some may be a reach..)
University of Florida
University of Miami (FL)
South Carolina
Alabama at Birmingham
Auburn
Ohio State
Vanderbilt
UC Berkeley
SDSU
University of Central Florida
Georgia
Kentucky

Overall GPA: 3.44
Last 2 years GPA: 3.0
Psych GPA: 3.93

I will be getting my Honors BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences from Ohio State (I took OChem, Biochem, Physiology etc which explains my lower overall gpa). My minor is psychology; I have approximately 35 psych hours and will be taking 2 more courses before graduation

GRE: I took the new one, so my score ranges are
470-570V (not as high as I wanted)
750-800Q

By the time I graduate, I will have
* 2 years experience as a lab coordinator/research assistant in a social psychology lab
*1 year experience with a clinical psychologist (health psych focus) with a poster at a health psych conference
* 1 year experience in in a behavioral neuroscience lab, where I will be completely in charge of conducting a study that already has a grant.

Other qualifications:
Chapter President of a sorority/have attended multiple leadership conferences as a result
Volunteer at Children's Hospital (1 year)
Volunteer at OSU's Nisonger Center- working with women who have autism (~1 year)
Clinical Research Intern at a pharmaceutical company

I will have 5 very strong recommendation letters, 3 from my research, one from a psych professor, one from the VP Pharmaceutical Research at the company I work for.

Any advice on how to be a stronger applicant/am I a good applicant would be appreciated! Thank you!:)

Last edited:

The schools that I am currently looking at are (some may be a reach..)
University of Florida
University of Miami (FL)
South Carolina
Alabama at Birmingham
Auburn
Ohio State
Vanderbilt
UC Berkeley
SDSU
University of Central Florida
Georgia
Kentucky

Overall GPA: 3.44
Last 2 years GPA: 3.0
Psych GPA: 3.93

I will be getting my Honors BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences from Ohio State (I took OChem, Biochem, Physiology etc which explains my lower overall gpa). My minor is psychology; I have approximately 35 psych hours and will be taking 2 more courses before graduation

GRE: I took the new one, so my score ranges are
470-570V (not as high as I wanted)
750-800Q

By the time I graduate, I will have
* 2 years experience as a lab coordinator/research assistant in a social psychology lab
*1 year experience with a clinical psychologist (health psych focus) with a poster at a health psych conference
* 1 year experience in in a behavioral neuroscience lab, where I will be completely in charge of conducting a study that already has a grant.

Other qualifications:
Chapter President of a sorority/have attended multiple leadership conferences as a result
Volunteer at Children's Hospital (1 year)
Volunteer at OSU's Nisonger Center- working with women who have autism (~1 year)
Clinical Research Intern at a pharmaceutical company

I will have 5 very strong recommendation letters, 3 from my research, one from a psych professor, one from the VP Pharmaceutical Research at the company I work for.

Any advice on how to be a stronger applicant/am I a good applicant would be appreciated! Thank you!:)
This is my opinion:

You have some good experience, but a lot of those schools will not look past your low GPA and you won't even get an interview. You have more than "some" reach, you have mostly reach. Investigate more lower tier Ph.D. programs and eliminate some of your top tier schools. If you applied to only those programs you run a significant risk of 0 acceptances.

I agree with what roubs said. Add some lower tier programs because unfortunately your overall GPA (and in particular your last 2 yr GPA) will be a barrier at most of the schools you listed. I think your experience looks good (though publications would help), psych GPA is outstanding. If you have the funds/time/energy by all means go for it and apply, but if not I'd consider delaying a year and raising your overall/last two yr GPA.

I agree with what roubs said. Add some lower tier programs because unfortunately your overall GPA (and in particular your last 2 yr GPA) will be a barrier at most of the schools you listed. I think your experience looks good (though publications would help), psych GPA is outstanding. If you have the funds/time/energy by all means go for it and apply, but if not I'd consider delaying a year and raising your overall/last two yr GPA.

What schools, of my current list, do you think are not a reach for me? Or at least will be less likely to scrap my application based solely on grades?

Also, the last 2 years gpa is only my junior year because OSU hasn't started school yet and I will not complete another quarter before my applications are due. Did I calculate it correctly?

The Virginia Consortium PsyD program has a neuropsych focus option if you are looking for it, but is still a practice-oriented program with decent financial aid. It's tough to get into the field of neuropsych with a PsyD, but it can be done if you work with the right people and are able to tailor the program you're in to fit your needs.

The Virginia Consortium PsyD program has a neuropsych focus option if you are looking for it, but is still a practice-oriented program with decent financial aid. It's tough to get into the field of neuropsych with a PsyD, but it can be done if you work with the right people and are able to tailor the program you're in to fit your needs.

The Virginia Consortium is now a PhD program.

What schools, of my current list, do you think are not a reach for me? Or at least will be less likely to scrap my application based solely on grades?

Also, the last 2 years gpa is only my junior year because OSU hasn't started school yet and I will not complete another quarter before my applications are due. Did I calculate it correctly?

If you are a senior this year I'd strongly consider getting a 4.0 and waiting till the next cycle.

I don't know all the schools well, but in my opinion the following schools are likely to just ignore your application due to GPA: Florida, Alabama at Birmingham, Ohio State, Vanderbilt, SDSU, UC-Berkeley, Georgia, Kentucky

Anyone's applying to U NM for the doctorate program in Clinical Psyc?
Can you share some experience in the application process to UNM?

I started out applying for a few schools, after working as a research assistant at a neuro lab. It was a watershed event that brought me back to the route I originally wanted to undertake.

Here's some overview of my stats, work/research experience and extracurricular activities:

1) not-so competitive gpa: 3.2 overall, psyc major: 3.4-3.5. GRE will take it in 2 weeks.

2) research experience: starting to help run experiment on social interaction and worked as a confederate in the study ( in my sophomore year); running experiment on a cognitive decision-making task in a cognitive lab this year

also I was selected into a summer research program that allowed me to enroll in an independent research program. I designed and and implemented an online study that will help future assessment of Borderline Personality Disorder. By using Self-concept, Personal Need structure scales we can correlate the level of sense of self and the likely a person tends to be more agreeable.

Right now, I'm in a memory lab and a neuroscience lab. In the memory lab, I'll be running participants and getting trained to use the Behavioral paradigm geared towards the implementation of fMRI scan.

In the neuroscience lab, I get a chance to observe and perform dissecting brain tissues, and injecting analgesics into lab animals. Also, I'm working on extracellular electrophysiologial recording of brain tissues and cortical structures.

3) internship at Mental Health Association, got to directly interact with patients, when I co-facilitated a support group " WRAP" . My job involved a lot of research and providing patients with appropriate and sometimes alternative treatment options. ( i was mentored by a clinical psychologist)

4) extracurricular:(currently holding this position) Treasurer officer at the Psychology Society in our department of psychology.

Event coordinator for the International Student Association.
New Editor/columnist for an online news website.

5) publication on cognitive design system: an application to mental rotations
also I've had some personal published articles on a news website over: motivation, behavioral psychology, technology and science

*** I really don't know if my publication and work/research experiences can do much to offset my low gpa.

I would love to have some feedback:)

Thanks

Not familiar with all of the schools but I'd be concerned about OSU, Florida, Miami, Vanderbilt, SDSU, and Auburn (as mean overall GPA for those schools is generally above 3.6). But, honestly major my concern is that your last 2 yrs GPA (3.0) is significantly lower than your overall GPA (3.4) which to me suggests that your academic performance is on a downward trajectory. If that is indeed the case (and it's not just that you had major issues in one course) would be a significant concern to the majority of Ph.D. programs. I don't think your research experience and is strong enough to offset GPA (no pubs). Unfortunately I think most schools will see the 3.0 and not consider you further.

My advice since you're a rising senior is to wait until the next cycle and really work to get your GPA up. You have a lot of things going for you (GRE scores, experience in various research labs, recs), but your GPA is going to make things hard.

beantownpsych,

Yeah junior year really hurt my gpa because I was taking physiology, biomedicinal chemistry and physics together. I came into jr year with a 3.62. Schools wouldn't take into consideration the fact that I am a pharmaceutical sciences major when looking at my gpa? A 3.3 is considered good in my major at OSU.

beantownpsych,

Yeah junior year really hurt my gpa because I was taking physiology, biomedicinal chemistry and physics together. I came into jr year with a 3.62. Schools wouldn't take into consideration the fact that I am a pharmaceutical sciences major when looking at my gpa? A 3.3 is considered good in my major at OSU.

Maybe in an interview, but when they are culling the herd I suspect they just look at numbers.

Maybe in an interview, but when they are culling the herd I suspect they just look at numbers.

Would I include summer classes, that I took between sophomore and junior year in my last 2 years gpa?

Would I include summer classes, that I took between sophomore and junior year in my last 2 years gpa?

Unless you took 15 credits in the summer I don't see it having much of an impact. If you really want to get into an top program your only real choices are 1) Get a 4.0 and wait one cycle 2) pray a lot