This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think I'm competitive enough for PhDs because of my lack of a clearly defined research focus. I don't have any posters, and am only coauthor on one student publication. My recommendation letters would just be from my clinical supervisors at work (who are PHD psychologists) and my doctoral student PI. Do you think it's still worth applying to PhDs?

Yes, because the reputable PsyDs are looking for the same thing, generally, as the more clinically oriented PhDs. It's worth it to expand your search. In terms of the research focus, just make it the same as the focus of the clinical population(s) that you'd like to focus on. Best bet is to expand search parameters, apply this year, and have a back up plan to shore up the CV if you do not get in the first round, which is quite common.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I'm competitive enough for PhDs because of my lack of a clearly defined research focus. I don't have any posters, and am only coauthor on one student publication. My recommendation letters would just be from my clinical supervisors at work (who are PHD psychologists) and my doctoral student PI. Do you think it's still worth applying to PhDs?
For a lot of (most?) programs, it's completely ok to have undergrad research experiences that differ from your research interests - what's important is that you have demonstrated the ability to be successful academically and with research (thus demonstrating your interest and general capability/productivity before grad school). Be ready and able to articulate your interests going forward, and do your homework so that you can discuss these topics intelligently enough if you're invited to interview. Your stats and experiences look good to me. I think what you need to do (and this is in line with the advice you're getting from other posters here), is to focus yourself on the research you're interested in, and let that guide your list of schools to which you want to apply. Your current list reads like a generic assembly of good-to-okay, very expensive PsyD programs, but that's probably not your best path to success. Don't be put off by PhD programs - the overwhelming majority of us PhDs work as clinicians. Look at the labs that interest you, not just the schools you think you will be accepted to. And then apply widely, because the programs are selective and it is a crapshoot.

For a lot of (most?) programs, it's completely ok to have undergrad research experiences that differ from your research interests - what's important is that you have demonstrated the ability to be successful academically and with research (thus demonstrating your interest and general capability/productivity before grad school). Be ready and able to articulate your interests going forward, and do your homework so that you can discuss these topics intelligently enough if you're invited to interview. Your stats and experiences look good to me. I think what you need to do (and this is in line with the advice you're getting from other posters here), is to focus yourself on the research you're interested in, and let that guide your list of schools to which you want to apply. Your current list reads like a generic assembly of good-to-okay, very expensive PsyD programs, but that's probably not your best path to success. Don't be put off by PhD programs - the overwhelming majority of us PhDs work as clinicians. Look at the labs that interest you, not just the schools you think you will be accepted to. And then apply widely, because the programs are selective and it is a crapshoot.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have decided to wait one more year and get some more lab experience. It makes it much easier to know that I don't have to have research experiences that necessarily coincide with graduate school interests, and will make it easier for me to find lab positions in my area.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My masters (in MFT) has a lower gpa - around 2.9 only. And I’m considering psy d or PhD looking to work in Canada. Do u guys suggest I take another masters to try to achieve higher gpa ??? Or apply and try ?

Undergrad university of Toronto psychology
Grad polytechnic university of Hong Kong MA social work - marriage family therapy

Professional - board certified behavior analyst

Working with children and adults with developmental and mental disabilities since 2008 as a MFT and ABA therapist

Involved in one research (as part of the research team which I was told I can use that as part of my application but publication does not include my name) conducted by university of science and technology and a joint university in the UK

I currently live in CA but looking to move back to Canada ! I’m so confused into how I can obtain and which route and what type of programs (psyd or PhD or online or physical) for my career !! Anyone willing to mentor ??

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread

To briefly respond, your GPA is solid, as are the other experiences. However, the lack of research experience is likely to be an application killer at most programs. I would say it's still worth applying, especially if you're able to do well on the GREs and get in some amount of research experience, but it might be an uphill battle. However, folks more familiar with Ferkauf could probably provide more info.

Ferkauf has three programs. Clinical PsyD, School-Clinical Child Psyd, and Clinical PHD with Health Emphasis. Depending on which program you're applying to, this will determine the weight they place on certain aspects of your application. For example, the PhD program will likely want to know more about your research focus and experience. From my experience applying and being accepted there, Ferkauf is not one of the most rigorous programs when it comes to research experience. I think your work experience and stats are very competitive already. Good luck!

My masters (in MFT) has a lower gpa - around 2.9 only. And I’m considering psy d or PhD looking to work in Canada. Do u guys suggest I take another masters to try to achieve higher gpa ??? Or apply and try ?

Undergrad university of Toronto psychology
Grad polytechnic university of Hong Kong MA social work - marriage family therapy

Professional - board certified behavior analyst

Working with children and adults with developmental and mental disabilities since 2008 as a MFT and ABA therapist

Involved in one research (as part of the research team which I was told I can use that as part of my application but publication does not include my name) conducted by university of science and technology and a joint university in the UK

I currently live in CA but looking to move back to Canada ! I’m so confused into how I can obtain and which route and what type of programs (psyd or PhD or online or physical) for my career !! Anyone willing to mentor ??
What are you looking to do with a doctorate?

Reactions: 1 users
I am completing my Masters in Clinical Neuroscience this September from an international university, but I am from the US. What are my chances of getting into a PhD program this cycle?

Undergrad GPA (US University): 3.82 (Psychology Major, Neuroscience Minor (4.0 major GPA).
Graduate GPA (International University): 3.7 (my scores are converted from the international system. According to this system, I will receive a first-class honors degree)
GRE: Writing (5.5) Verbal (160) Quant (155) **I know it is a bit low, so I am studying to retake again in September.

- One first author publication
- 6 posters (3 first author)
- Research assistant for 3 years (including summers) in three different labs throughout undergrad
- Designed my own research project for my master's thesis

I am interested in severe psychopathology, specifically psychosis and hallucinatory phenomena, in children/young adults, from a neurological perspective. Career Goals: I want to be a PI in a neuropsychology clinical research lab.

After doing some research, these schools seem to have projects that fit my interests:
-Temple
-UCLA
-Boston Univ.
-UMass Boston
-Emory
-Harvard
-Yale
-Rutgers
-Drexel
-Fordham

I feel very prepared to begin a PhD in the Fall 2020, but I do not know if I am a competitive enough candidate.
If I am not competitive, my next move would be to get an RA or Clinical Research Coordinator position. Since these positions are usually contracted two years, I would really struggle to wait all the way until the next cycle to apply again. What else can I do before the deadline this December to boost my chances?

I am completing my Masters in Clinical Neuroscience this September from an international university, but I am from the US. What are my chances of getting into a PhD program this cycle?

Undergrad GPA (US University): 3.82 (Psychology Major, Neuroscience Minor (4.0 major GPA).
Graduate GPA (International University): 3.7 (my scores are converted from the international system. According to this system, I will receive a first-class honors degree)
GRE: Writing (5.5) Verbal (160) Quant (155) **I know it is a bit low, so I am studying to retake again in September.

- One first author publication
- 6 posters (3 first author)
- Research assistant for 3 years (including summers) in three different labs throughout undergrad
- Designed my own research project for my master's thesis

I am interested in severe psychopathology, specifically psychosis and hallucinatory phenomena, in children/young adults, from a neurological perspective. Career Goals: I want to be a PI in a neuropsychology clinical research lab.

After doing some research, these schools seem to have projects that fit my interests:
-Temple
-UCLA
-Boston Univ.
-UMass Boston
-Emory
-Harvard
-Yale
-Rutgers
-Drexel
-Fordham

I feel very prepared to begin a PhD in the Fall 2020, but I do not know if I am a competitive enough candidate.
If I am not competitive, my next move would be to get an RA or Clinical Research Coordinator position. Since these positions are usually contracted two years, I would really struggle to wait all the way until the next cycle to apply again. What else can I do before the deadline this December to boost my chances?
You research experience looks good, especially with all the tangible productivity, but I don't know that you need to retake the GRE. Your undergrad and grad GPAs are more than competitive.

I would suggest finding more program to apply to (12-16 is more typical) and to geographically diversify your applications. 8/10 of your programs are in the NE/NYC/NJ/PA area, with one your remaining two being in CA. The programs themselves (especially Yale, BU, and UCLA) tend to be some of the most competitive, but those regions themselves are competitive, as so many applicants want to live in those areas or already live there (e.g., having moved there for RA positions or attending for undergrad). There are lots of great programs between the coasts and in the South that have faculty focusing on SMI and/or neuropsych that would be good options to add to your list and where you might have better chances of admission, as many other applicants overlook them as well.

What are you looking to do with a doctorate?

For one I am interested in research but realistically career wise I still see myself working in the field with people with special needs so I think this would give me more knowledge (if I do psyd) and I can pursuit my bcba-D as well

For one I am interested in research but realistically career wise I still see myself working in the field with people with special needs so I think this would give me more knowledge (if I do psyd) and I can pursuit my bcba-D as well
Give you more knowledge to what end? It will also very likely give you substantially more debt, the servicing of which will more than eat up any pay differential. Your masters GPA is low, and would likely be a concern to a lot of programs and/or not meet minimum cutoffs for them to closely examine the remainder of your application. Do you have any research experience?

More knowledge (and skills, for that matter) can be obtained other ways, e.g., CEUs, advanced training, which would be less expensive and time consuming that doing a doctoral program, but there should still be some kind of end goal, like providing a new intervention for which you're not currently skilled or working with a new population.

And aren't you already working with special-needs people, e.g., those with developmental and mental (do you mean intellectual?) disabilities that you mention in your first post?

You've not really made a great case for why you need doctorate to achieve your goals, which is not just something that we're harping about. Faculty at funded programs will ask you this directly, especially as you've been working in the field for so long, while unfunded programs will be more than happy to take all your money. The latter will result in massive debt that will, at least, consume the differential in pay between a mid-level and doctoral level provider, as StellaB noted.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I'm about to enter into my 2nd year in a master's program and am hoping to get some feedback regarding my chances of getting into a clinical or developmental PhD program this cycle.

Undergrad GPA: 2.7 cumulative, 3.4 last 90 credits, 3.6 last 60 credits. This is spread out over 6 schools and 14 years. I do have quite a few F's from the first few years (last failing grade was over 10 years ago). Human Development major (housed within a psych department) and Sociology minor.
Grad GPA: 3.7 in a research-based clinical psychology master's program.
GRE: 163 V/151 Q/4.0 AW

Research Experience:
- 4 labs total (3 clinical, 1 developmental); I was the lab coordinator in 2 of them
- 1 second-author pub under review, 2 manuscripts in prep (1 will be submitted very soon)
- 7 posters (5 regional, 2 national, 1 first-author); 1 oral presentation (regional)
- Undergraduate thesis as well as independent research project

Clinical Experience:
- 1 year of full-time work at forensic state hospital, met 1:1 with patients and co-led groups
- 3 years volunteering at a youth mentoring place; helped with case management and paperwork

Other relevant info:
- TA in both undergrad and grad (abnormal psych)
- Awarded a research grant from my grad school as well as a departmental scholarship this past spring (given to only 2 students out of 150 total)

Good morning everyone. New to this forum/psychology in general. My goal is to apply for a PsyD/PhD program for attendance fall of 2020. Trying to see where I stand and to give myself and my family realistic expectations. I'll try and be succinct with my personal snapshot.

Desired Programs: In order of preference: UConn (PhD), UHart (PsyD), Rutgers (PsyD), URI (PhD), Springfield College (PsyD), UConn (MSW). I am pretty set on living in or around Connecticut. My backup will be getting my MSW (UConn)
Personal stats: Male, 28yo at time of application submission. Spent the last 7 years as a helicopter pilot/military officer.
Undergrad GPA: 3.77 (Sociology at UConn)
GRE General: 161V/164Q/6.0W
GRE Psychology: Taking in September
Research Experience: Independently designed and led a field experiment for the US Army to predict future successes/effects of modern warfare on human behavior. I developed a 22 page lab report, but not published in typical academia standards, it was just used by the Army to assess its units. It was a pretty massive project leading a team of 12 observers involving 300+ people with months of planning. I don't feel great about this, but I'm proud of the work and it shows the scope of responsibility and understanding of the scientific method.
Related Work Experience:
o
Several leadership roles to include being a commander of a 132 person organization.
o Only certified sexual assault/harassment victim advocate in a 552 personnel organization while deployed to Afghanistan, providing counseling and education training sessions to both civilian contractors and military (attended a multi-week course to achieve this certification)
o Completed 150 hours of clinical observer training at a military hospital observing clinical psychologists/social workers while an undergrad
Volunteer Experience: 134 hours to date as an online crisis counselor
Key Accolades:
o
Represented the US military, conducting cross talks with South Korean and Japanese military officers in Seoul, South Korea.
o Achieved rank of Captain
o #1 Cadet in the state of Connecticut, top 5% in the nation based on a criteria of GPA, leadership assessments, and physical fitness.
o Deans list for 7x semesters

Thank you all for your time. I genuinely look forward to chatting with you like minded folks and being a part of this community.

Reposting this with an update. I enrolled in and will be complete with 2x more psych classes to help give my transcript more of a psychology backing. I should have As in both abnormal psych and developmental psych, and hoping to do well on the psychology GRE to show that even though my undergrad was sociology, I understand psychology foundations well. What are my chances for UHart's PsyD program?

Their website states they want a transcript showing a "Concentration in psychology, including courses in statistics, research methods, developmental psychology, physiological psychology, cognitive psychology, abnormal psychology, and personality psychology." Are PsyD admissions permissive, where if I'm missing 1-2 classes but otherwise have competitive marks, they would accept me? Or would my application not even get looked at for missing a listed class? Every PsyD program has a blurb that lists what kinds of classes they want, but each program has their own unique classes and I cannot take them all. I chose abnormal psych and developmental psych because those two were on most PsyD admissions websites as classes to have. I'm just concerned I would get dinged on a "technicality"/1-2 classes. I have taken biology for social workers, statistics, research methods for sociology, and a slew of sociological classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reposting this with an update. I enrolled in and will be complete with 2x more psych classes to help give my transcript more of a psychology backing. I should have As in both abnormal psych and developmental psych, and hoping to do well on the psychology GRE to show that even though my undergrad was sociology, I understand psychology foundations well. What are my chances for UHart's PsyD program?

Their website states they want a transcript showing a "Concentration in psychology, including courses in statistics, research methods, developmental psychology, physiological psychology, cognitive psychology, abnormal psychology, and personality psychology." Are PsyD admissions permissive, where if I'm missing 1-2 classes but otherwise have competitive marks, they would accept me? Or would my application not even get looked at for missing a listed class? Every PsyD program has a blurb that lists what kinds of classes they want, but each program has their own unique classes and I cannot take them all. I chose abnormal psych and developmental psych because those two were on most PsyD admissions websites as classes to have. I'm just concerned I would get dinged on a "technicality"/1-2 classes. I have taken biology for social workers, statistics, research methods for sociology, and a slew of sociological classes.

I doubt that you will get dinged, especially because your application will be well-rounded otherwise. I think taking the Psych GRE and doing fairly well is also a good way to demonstrate that you are familiar with major concepts. I also think your statement of interest/personal statement may be a great way to briefly address that you are coming from a sociology background but, given your research and personal experiences, a psych degree will help you achieve X.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

I'm about to enter into my 2nd year in a master's program and am hoping to get some feedback regarding my chances of getting into a clinical or developmental PhD program this cycle.

Undergrad GPA: 2.7 cumulative, 3.4 last 90 credits, 3.6 last 60 credits. This is spread out over 6 schools and 14 years. I do have quite a few F's from the first few years (last failing grade was over 10 years ago). Human Development major (housed within a psych department) and Sociology minor.
Grad GPA: 3.7 in a research-based clinical psychology master's program.
GRE: 163 V/151 Q/4.0 AW

Research Experience:
- 4 labs total (3 clinical, 1 developmental); I was the lab coordinator in 2 of them
- 1 second-author pub under review, 2 manuscripts in prep (1 will be submitted very soon)
- 7 posters (5 regional, 2 national, 1 first-author); 1 oral presentation (regional)
- Undergraduate thesis as well as independent research project

Clinical Experience:
- 1 year of full-time work at forensic state hospital, met 1:1 with patients and co-led groups
- 3 years volunteering at a youth mentoring place; helped with case management and paperwork

Other relevant info:
- TA in both undergrad and grad (abnormal psych)
- Awarded a research grant from my grad school as well as a departmental scholarship this past spring (given to only 2 students out of 150 total)
Honestly, I don't know what your chances are, because it will depend on whether the programs you're applying to have minimum GPA cutoffs for undergrad. If you have identified some programs you are interested in, you can try sending an inquiry to their general graduate school admissions office to maybe ask.

I applied last year, got 2 interviews, was waitlisted at both but wasn't offered a spot. I think it was due to a lack of research fit and not my credentials, but would love to get outside perspectives/advice on reapplying.

GRE V161/Q158 W4
Psych GRE: 770
Undergrad GPA 3.75

1 first-author publication in press in a decent journal, hopefully one more 2nd author pub by the time I apply (currently being peer reviewed)
5 poster presentations (3 were at national conferences)
Research: 1 year undergrad in clinical psych lab, currently in my 3rd year as a full-time research assistant in two labs at a highly regarded academic psychiatric hospital; currently conducting an independent (unfunded) research study on top of my full-time position
Clinical experience: 2 years full-time residential counselor working with adolescents and adults with mood and personality disorders
Recommenders: 2 will be the PIs of the labs I work in currently (will be strong recs) and 1 will be my undergrad lab PI.

Thanks!

Hi folks! This is my second application cycle for clinical psych after an unsuccessful try fall of 2018. My GRE scores were pretty low (157V, 147Q) and I had hardly any research experience. I decided to go to the masters route to have some time to beef up my application with research experience. I'm mostly interested in PhD programs, but I do have a few PsyDs on my list as backups. I'm interested in a very niche area of psychology (eating disorders) which is worrisome considering I don't have a ton of experience with this specific population. I just started in a lab administering an intervention for combatting negative self image after being exposed to weight stigmatizing information, but it's a little bit of a stretch. I don't have any posters just yet in that lab, but will hopefully have something out as first author by application season.

Current stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Masters GPA: 4.0
GRE: havent taken again yet, but averaging 153Q, 160V
Research: part of two labs. First lab is an NIH funded study involving substance abuse. Came on as an RA, but was offered a GA position after my professor appreciated my work. Second lab is the negative self image intervention mentioned above.
Posters: 3 posters from substance abuse lab: 1 first author at a national conference, 2 as third author at regional conferences. Hopefully at least 1 first author at regional conference from negative self image intervention lab.
LOR: 2 from PIs in my labs, 1 from my research and stats professor/advisor who has told me he believes I would thrive in a research heavy program.

Programs:
Hofstra
University of Louisville
Spalding (PsyD)
Ohio University
Emory
Saint Louis
Temple
FDU
UIndy (PsyD)
Michigan State
Drexel
KU
Hawaii at Manoa
Rutgers (PsyD)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Depaul
Loyola (PsyD)
American

Do you think I have a chance at any of the PhD programs listed with my stats and minimal experience in eating disorders? Any advice on how to strengthen my application, or how to get my foot into eating disorder research more in the next few months?

This forum was super helpful to me last application cycle, and I can't thank you all enough!

Hello! The anxiety for this upcoming application cycle is kicking in so I thought I'd post a WAMC to procrastinate studying for the GRE :)
I am applying to clinical psych Ph.D programs with a research focus on anxiety/anxiety disorders, especially cognitive mechanisms.

Undergrad GPA: 3.74 (Psychology major; neuroscience and Italian minors) graduated in Spring 2018 from a state school with a top clinical psych grad program
Psychology GPA: 3.97
Phi Beta Kappa
Vice president of my school's chapter of Psi Chi

General GRE:
161 V (88%) 154 M (54%) 4 W (60%?)- I'm retaking in October after actually studying correctly this time.
Psychology GRE: IDK score, but 87%

Research Products:
Manuscripts:
  • 2 first-authored papers currently under review (Journal of Anxiety Disorders and Annals of Clinical Psychiatry)
  • 2 second-authored papers currently under review (My current PI is the first author on both)
  • 1 third-authored paper under review
Posters:
  • 1 first-authored poster accepted to ABCT 2019
  • 1 first-authored poster under review for ADAA 2020
  • 1 first-authored poster presented at my University's undergrad poster session (probably doesn't really count)
  • 2 third-authored posters; one being presented at ABCT 2019, other one is by undergrads I mentored over the summer and is under review for NEPA 2019
Research Experience:
  • Currently a full-time clinical research assistant at an Ivy League academic medical center/ partial hospital program
  • An undergraduate research assistant for 3 different psych labs (2 clinical)
  • Conducted an honors thesis (proposed and defended it in front of a four-person committee; much like a master's thesis)
Clinical Experience:
  • I am fully trained as a senior diagnostic interviewer (SCID-IV; SID-P; SADS) and have administered over 100 intake assessments (2-4 hours each) both in partial hospital and outpatient settings. I have also trained new RA's and a clinical psych pre-doc intern on SCID administration and report preparation
  • Pre-bariatric surgery interviewer (use the SCID and another module about eating/exercise habits to assess fitness for bariatric surgeries.
  • Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) therapy coordinator (I am trained and certified to administer TMS therapy)
  • Utilization reviewer- I obtain insurance authorization for partial hospital patients and conduct concurrent reviews to advocate for extended stays
  • Semester-long internship at an adolescent partial hospital where I wrote progress notes and helped lead group therapy sessions utilizing CBT.
  • Rape crisis center helpline volunteer and educator on the effects of PTSD
  • Shadowed a psychology intern and psychologist for a month on a inpatient dual-diagnosis unit
Teaching/Mentoring:
  • Coordinated and directed summer student internship (4 undergrads) and helped them conduct independent research
  • TA'd for an intro to psych class
LOR's
  • Undergrad PI (clinical psychologist), current PI (psychiatrist), PI whose study I am helping coordinate at the hospital (clinical psychologist)
Schools I'm looking at:
  • UVA
  • University of Rochester
  • University of Kentucky
  • Ohio University
  • Vanderbilt
  • Miami of Ohio
  • West Virginia University
  • Boston U
  • Hofstra
  • UNC Greensboro
  • Notre Dame
  • Temple
  • Georgia State
  • Penn State
  • American
  • George Mason
  • Binghamptom
  • Fordham
  • Northwestern
  • And a couple others

Looks like you're doing the right things to be competitive. I agree that you should re-take the GRE. Hopefully by the time you apply you'll at least be able to say that you have a manuscript that is provisionally accepted. Just be careful to accurately describe where your work is in the peer review/publication process as of your application date.

Another word of advice. Be careful about how you describe your clinical experience. Doing diagnostic interviews in a research context is quite different than in a clinical setting, and administering structured interviews is quite different from clinical interpretation and treatment planning. You don't have to hide your experience, but take care not to oversell it, as it could be construed as a sign of someone who may be less receptive to training and feedback. Also, your employment as a TMS tech is not very relevant to your psychological training and not something especially important to highlight unless it is linked to your research experience.

Perhaps you know this, but avoid using the phrase "Ivy League" or making any other prestige claims in an application. It won't work in your favor.

Finally, some questions. How'd you come up with that list of programs? What are your career goals? Any particular reason for sticking to the midwest and eastern US?

Looks like you're doing the right things to be competitive. I agree that you should re-take the GRE. Hopefully by the time you apply you'll at least be able to say that you have a manuscript that is provisionally accepted. Just be careful to accurately describe where your work is in the peer review/publication process as of your application date.

Another word of advice. Be careful about how you describe your clinical experience. Doing diagnostic interviews in a research context is quite different than in a clinical setting, and administering structured interviews is quite different from clinical interpretation and treatment planning. You don't have to hide your experience, but take care not to oversell it, as it could be construed as a sign of someone who may be less receptive to training and feedback. Also, your employment as a TMS tech is not very relevant to your psychological training and not something especially important to highlight unless it is linked to your research experience.

Perhaps you know this, but avoid using the phrase "Ivy League" or making any other prestige claims in an application. It won't work in your favor.

Finally, some questions. How'd you come up with that list of programs? What are your career goals? Any particular reason for sticking to the midwest and eastern US?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

I definitely was more bragadocious in here than I actually am on my CV. No where on my CV do I have the words “Ivy League.” I just have the name of the school, by wanted to maintain some privacy. Also I basically wrote verbatim what past RA’s from my job had on their CV’s regarding SCID training (with a few changes as to not totally plagiarize). But yeah, the SCID’s I administer/ write up are utilized by psychiatrists and therapists for assessment and treatment planning and go into each patient’s electronic medical record, but we also enter patients’ diagnostic info in our databases for research purposes. I don’t think I’m overselling what I’m actually doing because I was trained by the very clinical psychologists who use my reports for clinical purposes.

I conduct TMS therapy as part of my RA poisition. I agree that it’s deifnitely not the most important feature of my clinical experience, but it felt wrong to omit it. Maybe I’m wrong though. Past RA’s put it in thier CV’s.

I’m mostly stressed about my GRE scores and my lack of actual publications. I was told that the biggest hurdle to jump over was submitting a manuscript because it shows grad schools that I can take an idea and see it through to the end, but having something in press would really be the icing on the cake.

My goal is to have more of a 50/50 clinical/research split- so I think conducting clinical research in an acamedic medical setting would be ideal. I can’t see myself doing 100% research.

I’m trying to stick to the east/mid west because my partner will inevitably end up in Washington DC long-term, so I would like to do everything in my power to maintain our relationship and going to someplace in the west will probably be a nail in its coffin :(

Last edited:
I conduct TMS therapy as part of my RA poisition.

Got it. I suggest you describe it as research experience in that case. This is about the framing. Being able to adhere to a carefully administered clinical research protocol >>> showing up for your job as a technician.

But yeah, the SCID’s I administer/ write up are utilized by psychiatrists and therapists for assessment and treatment planning and go into each patient’s electronic medical record, but we also enter patients’ diagnostic info in our databases for research purposes. I don’t think I’m overselling what I’m actually doing because I was trained by the very clinical psychologists who use my reports for clinical purposes.

Doing structured interviews is great experience. But again, you've identified another opportunity to frame your technician work as RA work, which will enhance your application. Your research experience will be more heavily weighted by an admissions committee. Just err on the side of humility when you describe your clinical experience and you'll be fine.

So... what are your training and career goals?

Is clinical psych PhD also all about “fit”? So I have been trying to find a new research lab to join. I had three choices but one researcher at my school who researches OCD does not need more RAs. So I decided to just join the child psychopathology lab . I was talking with my new PI since I told her I hate child research and I like mostly severe mental illness research. She told me it would be hard to get into a program since Im going to be doing child research and it’s going to be hard for me to be admitted since I don’t have smi research. Any thought? Is she right?

Is clinical psych PhD also all about “fit”? So I have been trying to find a new research lab to join. I had three choices but one researcher at my school who researches OCD does not need more RAs. So I decided to just join the child psychopathology lab . I was talking with my new PI since I told her I hate child research and I like mostly severe mental illness research. She told me it would be hard to get into a program since Im going to be doing child research and it’s going to be hard for me to be admitted since I don’t have smi research. Any thought? Is she right?

Yes, fit is very important.

If you "hate" research with children and want to be focused on adults in grad school and your career afterwards, a child-focused lab probably isn't the best idea for gaining experience. Similarly, if you want to do SMI research, it would be best to have some kind of SMI experience, ideally in an SMI-focused research lab. This doesn't mean that your experience will be worthless or you won't have chance at getting into a program (far from it), but rather, it's increasingly more difficult to make your case for admission to a given program and with a specific faculty mentor as your experience diverges from them.

Yes, fit is very important.

If you "hate" research with children and want to be focused on adults in grad school and your career afterwards, a child-focused lab probably isn't the best idea for gaining experience. Similarly, if you want to do SMI research, it would be best to have some kind of SMI experience, ideally in an SMI-focused research lab. This doesn't mean that your experience will be worthless or you won't have chance at getting into a program (far from it), but rather, it's increasingly more difficult to make your case for admission to a given program and with a specific faculty mentor as your experience diverges from them.

Do you think 1 year in a lab that relates to what area you're applying to is enough to make your case strong enough in your personal statement?

Do you think 1 year in a lab that relates to what area you're applying to is enough to make your case strong enough in your personal statement?
Possibly, depending on what you did in that lab, what your other research experience is like, and the rest of your application package.

Currently preparing to apply into clinical psych PhD programs aiming at fits with professors researching the treatment of anxiety, depression/other mood disorders, or S/I, or psychotherapy process/outcome. Shooting for a lot of top and slightly lower programs. Barebones of my experiences below:

GPA: 3.91 - double major Psychology & Criminal Justice (Psych Major GPA: 3.94)
GRE: 157V 158Q 5.5Writing
Taking the psych GRE in a few weeks

Research Experience:
Post Bac RA
  • Have spent the last year and a half working in a teaching hospital/university on a study that uses text messages and CBT/MI based interventions to prevent depression in adolescents. Recruited, consented, followed up, etc. Also have performed over the phone SI risk assessment on teens who have flagged for patient safety concerns. Mentored multiple undergraduate students
  • Worked on a study aimed at preventing cyberbullying - qualitatively analyzed teens’ text messages for interpersonal conflict. Recruited, consented, followed up, etc. for several iterations of the study involving online message interventions.
  • IRB preparation, manuscript preparation, paper submissions, etc. for both studies.
  • Selected as peer paper reviewer for journal/conference
  • Analyzed self report data from past study to draw conclusions between nutrition and depression in adolescents using SPSS
Undergrad
  • Wrote Honors Thesis on Psychotherapy process (client characteristics influencing therapist behavior). Used intensive coding scheme to analyze real footage of therapy sessions. Wrote as a manuscript (never submitted anywhere because of small N/statistical insignificance) and presented as a poster at an undergraduate research day
  • exp for 2 years in social psych lab doing surveys, recruitment, coding, cleaning data, etc.
Pubs/Presentations:
  • Second author paper accepted on qualitative text message coding
  • third or fourth author paper to be submitted soon

• first author poster presentation in submission
  • second author paper presentation
  • 2 third author paper presentations
  • fourth author poster presentation
  • first author poster presentation (not national conference)
Other relevant experience:
  • Suicide Hotline volunteer
  • A few less clinical experiences (animal behaviorist internship, Resident assistant)
At this point, there isn’t time left to do anything besides ensure that I frame my experiences in a way that benefits me as much as possible. I’m going to focus on my research experiences primarily, but I am proud of my clinical experiences: exposure to coding videos of psychotherapy and performing brief therapeutic interventions (CBT/MI).

Any thoughts on my chances at top programs and any advice on things to emphasize in CV/personal statement etc.?

Hi everyone,

I’m posting because my husband has dreamed of being a therapist and studying psychology. We just moved to Seattle for my PhD studies so we’re stuck here for 5-7 years. We have decided it is a good time for him to pursue a doctoral program in psychology. He is most interested in adult psychology, being a clinical therapist, and having doctoral level knowledge to do diagnostics and work on the most cutting-edge therapy modalities. University of Washington has a Clinical PhD program he is very interested in and there are a few other PsyD programs here but they cost a lot and we already have a lot of debt from my studies. But either way we will go through with whatever is the best program that accepts him that he likes, as long as it’s in washington

My question is this: Can we still apply and have a shot in admissions given my husband’s lack of formal research but his strengths in other areas?

Pros:
- Full-time SPED teaching for 6 years
- 3.98 GPA (Summa Cum Laude)
- 4.0 GPA in psych classes
- Various prestigious honor societies

Cons:
- No formal university or hospital research experience
- Restricted to Seattle, and haven’t found RA or volunteer opportunities where he has been accepted yet
- No GRE score yet (still studying, test is in October, planning on a 160 V/Q each)
- No Psych GRE but we can prepare for that if it may help??

My husband has spent 6 years as a special education teacher in 3 different states. He has learned and applied many psychological and educational techniques and statistics to teach children with disabilities. Can we write about this in the SOP like it’s some kind of experience related to psychology that could help his app?

He has a 3.98 Summa Cum Laude GPA. He graduated from a small state school with a BA in Spanish. As a result he is also fully formally bilingual in English and Spanish and has worked with at-risk and ESL students a lot. He took a few psychology courses (intro to psych and human sexuality) but didn’t think at the time to become a therapist and he didn’t have the chance to do research in psychology. He began a career in special ed teaching instead for 6 years.

Now we’re in Seattle and we can’t find any research positions for him. Faculty won’t take him even on a shadow/volunteer basis because he’s not a student. And he works full time as a teacher to help me start our first year in Seattle. How can we overcome this obstacle in admissions? Can we with a combination of post-bacc + work experience in special education + psychology GRE test??

So to help his app he has started the UC Berkeley Psychology online post-bacc and has initiated the Research Methods course
to hopefully have access to some research projects and topics to write about in his SOP. Could this meaningfully help his app?

Would it be helpful to write in the application that we are Washington residents and strongly prefer a Seattle acceptance because I live and work here? We’re at the application stage and trying to figure out what chances we have if we apply to:
University of Washington (PhD)
Seattle University (PsyD)
Antioch University (PsyD)

Hi everyone,

I’m posting because my husband has dreamed of being a therapist and studying psychology. We just moved to Seattle for my PhD studies so we’re stuck here for 5-7 years. We have decided it is a good time for him to pursue a doctoral program in psychology. He is most interested in adult psychology, being a clinical therapist, and having doctoral level knowledge to do diagnostics and work on the most cutting-edge therapy modalities. University of Washington has a Clinical PhD program he is very interested in and there are a few other PsyD programs here but they cost a lot and we already have a lot of debt from my studies. But either way we will go through with whatever is the best program that accepts him that he likes, as long as it’s in washington

My question is this: Can we still apply and have a shot in admissions given my husband’s lack of formal research but his strengths in other areas?

Pros:
- Full-time SPED teaching for 6 years
- 3.98 GPA (Summa Cum Laude)
- 4.0 GPA in psych classes
- Various prestigious honor societies

Cons:
- No formal university or hospital research experience
- Restricted to Seattle, and haven’t found RA or volunteer opportunities where he has been accepted yet
- No GRE score yet (still studying, test is in October, planning on a 160 V/Q each)
- No Psych GRE but we can prepare for that if it may help??

My husband has spent 6 years as a special education teacher in 3 different states. He has learned and applied many psychological and educational techniques and statistics to teach children with disabilities. Can we write about this in the SOP like it’s some kind of experience related to psychology that could help his app?

He has a 3.98 Summa Cum Laude GPA. He graduated from a small state school with a BA in Spanish. As a result he is also fully formally bilingual in English and Spanish and has worked with at-risk and ESL students a lot. He took a few psychology courses (intro to psych and human sexuality) but didn’t think at the time to become a therapist and he didn’t have the chance to do research in psychology. He began a career in special ed teaching instead for 6 years.

Now we’re in Seattle and we can’t find any research positions for him. Faculty won’t take him even on a shadow/volunteer basis because he’s not a student. And he works full time as a teacher to help me start our first year in Seattle. How can we overcome this obstacle in admissions? Can we with a combination of post-bacc + work experience in special education + psychology GRE test??

So to help his app he has started the UC Berkeley Psychology online post-bacc and has initiated the Research Methods course
to hopefully have access to some research projects and topics to write about in his SOP. Could this meaningfully help his app?

Would it be helpful to write in the application that we are Washington residents and strongly prefer a Seattle acceptance because I live and work here? We’re at the application stage and trying to figure out what chances we have if we apply to:
University of Washington (PhD)
Seattle University (PsyD)
Antioch University (PsyD)

It’s a little odd to me you keep using “we”. It’s his application. He should be doing the foot work. And he will definitely need research experience to get into a funded PhD program. An online program will most likely NOT give him the hands on experience he needs. No reason to list in his statement that you’re local. They simply don’t care. The programs are typically competitive and have a pick of students. Most are willing to relocate for the spot, so you being closer isn’t any advantage. In fact, including that might actually back fire. They may think he only applied there because it was local and not because of genuine interest and fit with the lab.
I would caution strongly against trying to claim he is educated in psychology from techniques he learned as a teacher. Almost certain to backfire. A 4.0 for two psych classes is nothing to special honestly.
If he does not have an undergrad degree in psych or taken certain prerequisites, the programs will often want the psych GRE. Check each school he is interested in. If he mainly wants to do therapy, he might want to consider a MSW degree or something similar. Shorter time frame, cheaper, and less competitive.
Applying with zero actual research experience is akin to flushing your money down the toilet.
The GRE scores will also be important. Aiming for 160 is not the same as achieving 160.
I would 100% advise against applying this cycle. Who would write his recommendations if he hasn’t done any research? Best timeline is 2 years minimum to build up experience with research and then apply.

It’s a little odd to me you keep using “we”. It’s his application. He should be doing the foot work. And he will definitely need research experience to get into a funded PhD program. An online program will most likely NOT give him the hands on experience he needs. No reason to list in his statement that you’re local. They simply don’t care. The programs are typically competitive and have a pick of students. Most are willing to relocate for the spot, so you being closer isn’t any advantage. In fact, including that might actually back fire. They may think he only applied there because it was local and not because of genuine interest and fit with the lab.
I would caution strongly against trying to claim he is educated in psychology from techniques he learned as a teacher. Almost certain to backfire. A 4.0 for two psych classes is nothing to special honestly.
If he does not have an undergrad degree in psych or taken certain prerequisites, the programs will often want the psych GRE. Check each school he is interested in. If he mainly wants to do therapy, he might want to consider a MSW degree or something similar. Shorter time frame, cheaper, and less competitive.
Applying with zero actual research experience is akin to flushing your money down the toilet.
The GRE scores will also be important. Aiming for 160 is not the same as achieving 160.
I would 100% advise against applying this cycle. Who would write his recommendations if he hasn’t done any research? Best timeline is 2 years minimum to build up experience with research and then apply.

Well thank you for the helpful advice. I used “we” casually because were married and I’m posting on his behalf here, no need to take that the wrong way. Sure, we may wait to apply next year then. If we do apply this year too though, will it count against him if he applies and doesn’t get in and then applies the year after with a much stronger application? Like do adcoms look down on repeat apps?

Well thank you for the helpful advice. I used “we” casually because were married and I’m posting on his behalf here, no need to take that the wrong way. Sure, we may wait to apply next year then. If we do apply this year too though, will it count against him if he applies and doesn’t get in and then applies the year after with a much stronger application? Like do adcoms look down on repeat apps?
He can certainly apply this year if he likes. I wouldn’t advise it, but if you have the money to kick around, sure. The psych GRE is only given a few times a year unlike the regular GRE. You’d have to see if there is one he could take and still be scored before the app deadline. I don’t think it would hurt his chances the following year to apply again, but again with zero research experience and not much psych background, it’s highly unlikely he’d get an acceptance. I don’t know anything about the PsyD programs you mentioned. Are they funded? If so, they will be just as competitive as PhD programs. If they aren’t, they are likely substandard programs that will only put you in debt. But I don’t know anything about those specific programs.

Last edited:
Someone more familiar with UW can chime in, but I believe it is a clinical science program and therefore his dream of being a therapist would be a very poor fit. This also means that he will be competing with applicants with extensive research experience (e.g. have publications). I have not heard of those PsyD programs, but certainly don’t consider anything that is not APA accredited.

Someone more familiar with UW can chime in, but I believe it is a clinical science program and therefore his dream of being a therapist would be a very poor fit. This also means that he will be competing with applicants with extensive research experience (e.g. have publications). I have not heard of those PsyD programs, but certainly don’t consider anything that is not APA accredited.

He’s interested in the clinical science but he ultimately wants to work with patients in a therapeutic setting after everything is said and done. So maybe it’s not the best fit, but we can apply and see. He’s not interested in MSW programs as much because he wants to provide doctoral level assessments for disorders and disabilities and specialized/advanced therapy modalities that may not be taught at the masters level. Antioch University in Seattle has an APA accredited PsyD program and there are several local therapists on Psychology Today in the area that have PsyDs from there. If it’s APA accredited and affordable, do you think it could be a suitable option? They don’t require research as much as UW. They’re not funded though, they cost tuition. If we had to take out some more loans, we could do so, to a certain extent, depending on cost.

So, Antioch has a terrible APA placement rate. https://www.antioch.edu/seattle/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2019/08/PsyD_outcome_data_8_16_19.pdf

Considering a PsyD degree is primarily for clinically-focused people, they should have 100% licensure rate. They don’t. And the amount of students taking more than 7 years is over 40%. That’s very concerning. Definitely review the stats for each school he is considering. Location of the school matters little if you can’t get an internship or job.

The tuition is over $125,000. And they require specific psychology classes to be completed before even applying. I’d take some time to really look at these schools further. Everything I put here I found in 3 minutes.

He’s interested in the clinical science but he ultimately wants to work with patients in a therapeutic setting after everything is said and done. So maybe it’s not the best fit, but we can apply and see. He’s not interested in MSW programs as much because he wants to provide doctoral level assessments for disorders and disabilities and specialized/advanced therapy modalities that may not be taught at the masters level. Antioch University in Seattle has an APA accredited PsyD program and there are several local therapists on Psychology Today in the area that have PsyDs from there. If it’s APA accredited and affordable, do you think it could be a suitable option? They don’t require research as much as UW. They’re not funded though, they cost tuition. If we had to take out some more loans, we could do so, to a certain extent, depending on cost.

The thing that really depends is what you define as affordable. If north of 100k (potentially) in debt with median salaries for psychologists not crossing the high 80-90s to low 100s is doable, then it’s your call. For most, I would say doing a PsyD does not make pragmatic sense.

The thing that really depends is what you define as affordable. If north of 100k (potentially) in debt with median salaries for psychologists not crossing the high 80-90s to low 100s is doable, then it’s your call. For most, I would say doing a PsyD does not make pragmatic sense.

Thank you for your thoughts. Yeah upon me looking at the placement rates at Antioch, maybe we better not bother, and he agrees. We see Seattle Pacific University has a clinical psych PhD program with ~100% APA internship placement and 88% fully licensed after graduating so he said he thinks he will add that and an MSW program to our application plans and see what happens. SPU costs money but they may offer scholarships and fellowships, maybe it will be worth it in the end.

Right now I guess his focus should be on getting more research projects. But like I said, we haven’t gotten any faculty willing to work with him in our area because he’s not a UW student and he’s not a psych major. Can’t find RA positions or opportunities anywhere. It’s really hard to find research opportunities once you’ve been out of school.

Thank you for your thoughts. Yeah upon me looking at the placement rates at Antioch, maybe we better not bother, and he agrees. We see Seattle Pacific University has a clinical psych PhD program with ~100% APA internship placement and 88% fully licensed after graduating so he said he thinks he will add that and an MSW program to our application plans and see what happens. SPU costs money but they may offer scholarships and fellowships, maybe it will be worth it in the end.

Right now I guess his focus should be on getting more research projects. But like I said, we haven’t gotten any faculty willing to work with him in our area because he’s not a UW student and he’s not a psych major. Can’t find RA positions or opportunities anywhere. It’s really hard to find research opportunities once you’ve been out of school.
In addition to having not great funding, SPU is also a highly religious institution/program, requiring students to sign a statement of faith. Make sure you are (or, rather, he is) comfortable with that beforehand.

The fact that UW, one of the most research focused programs out there, is on the same list as PsyDs shows that he is applying based on a locked location, and one with very few options at that. This rarely works out, because clinical psych admissions are competitive and highly based on research fit. His chances of getting into UDub with no research experience is basically zero. I might suggest taking psych classes at a university (maybe not UDub, as many of their labs are competitive to volunteer in) so that it’ll be relatively easier for him to get research experience (and exposure to psych coursework) at that school. School psych PhDs may be much more receptive to his sped background and he can still be a licensed psychologist, although his practice would be limited to children and adolescents.

How does your husband know he's interested in clinical science when he has no research experience? It's one thing to be attracted to something in the abstract, but it's completely different to pursue something in which you have actual experience and know well.

Even if his interest is genuine and accurate, there's absolutely no way of getting admitted to a clinical science program without some kind of research experience. Doing an online, distance post-bacc likely isn't going to help him get research experience. There's only so much that can be done online and there are probably many other people in that online program competing with him looking for research experience. It would probably be better to just take psych undergrad courses at a local university, even if it doesn't have a formal post-bacc program. That would give your husband more chances to get research experience.

I get that you just started your doctoral program and you don't want to be separated, but geographic restrictions severely hinder even applicants with otherwise impressive credentials. Doctoral programs in clinical psych are very competitive, so it's difficult to get into any program in general, but getting into any one specific program is even more difficult.

Also, admissions are based on fit with the program, faculty, and students. Geography is a poor basis for fit. Telling programs that you prefer them because of geographic limitation is the fast track to the recycling bin for your husband's application.

Moving is just a normative part of doctoral training in clinical psychology. Even if your husband got into UW, he'd likely have to move for internship and/or post doc. Geographically restricting your application at those stages, especially internship, risks severely limiting his career options (e.g., no VAs, no AMCs).

Your husband should make his own account and ask his questions. At the very least, he would benefit from reading this:
http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf

Along with several other threads in the pinned “Doctoral Applicants read first” thread a few threads below this one. Best of luck to him.

As someone who broke up with a long-term partner in my fourth year of graduate studies, my favorite passage is on p. 37:

"You may have a partner when you begin this process. There’s a good chance that they will not be your partner by the time you get your Ph.D. Think carefully about how much that relationship should influence your decision. First year graduate students break up with the partner they moved with way more than you may think."

Hello everyone,

I just thought I'd post here to get an idea of where I'm at and what I need to work on in my final semesters of undergrad.
I'm currently in the second semester of my junior year at the University of Iowa. Took a semester off after first year of undergrad at Creighton University, so I'll be graduating in Fall of 2020.

Major: Psychology major, Human Relations Minor
Undergrad GPA: 4.05 cumulative, 4.20 at current institution and a 3.94 transfer GPA (current ones are on a 4.33 scale, but not all professors offered an A+)
Psychology GPA: 4.21
GRE: 170V, 157Q, 5.0 Analytical Writing
Research Experience:
  • 2 semesters in a lab studying decision making biases and motivations (Will be 4 semesters by the time I'm applying)
    • One semester (so far) of being an Undergraduate Lab Manager
    • Just beginning work on an honors thesis which will result in a poster and authorship on a publication (maybe? not sure yet)
    • Lots of SPSS experience with this one
  • 1 semester + 1 summer in a lab studying postpartum depression (Will be 3 semesters + 2 summers by the time I'm applying
    • I administer the PHQ-9 and the MINI to screen program participants for symptoms
Other Experience
  • Crisis Text Line (will have completed 200+ hours of volunteering by the time I apply)
  • Tutoring through the University of Iowa for Clinical Psychology, Psych Research Methods, Developmental Psychology
I'm very broadly interested in anxiety and personality disorders, so I'd be open to a lot of different programs. I haven't really gotten in to the weeds yet of looking at schools, so I'd be interested if anyone had some suggestions. I'm looking for something a bit more clinical focused rather than research, since I'm hoping to get in to practice. I am very committed to empirically based therapies, which is why I'm looking in to PhD's in the first place even if conducting research isn't my favorite, lol.

Hello everyone,

I just thought I'd post here to get an idea of where I'm at and what I need to work on in my final semesters of undergrad.
I'm currently in the second semester of my junior year at the University of Iowa. Took a semester off after first year of undergrad at Creighton University, so I'll be graduating in Fall of 2020.

Your GPA and GRE are stellar, so that'll help to get you on top of the pile on peripheral stats. Research experience is good for where you are at. The other experience is good, but it's a pretty minor part of the overall application. As for what to do at this point to further add onto a good application? In your shoes, I'd do what I could to at least get a poster presentation or two into a national conference. Sounds like you have a shot to do it with your honors thesis. I'd also ask your faculty PI for the lab you are a manager for if there is any chance to look at some preliminary data for a poster presentation at a conference that they regularly attend. If you can get a manuscript written for a peer-reviewed journal, that'd be icing on the cake. It'd look really good, but not necessary given other application strengths.

As for programs, UWM in Milwaukee has several strong anxiety labs if you are interested. And, it's a program that gives you a strong research background but let's you focus pretty heavily clinical in your later years if you are going into a primarily clinical career. Additionally, start thinking about a narrower research focus. Even if it's not what you will eventually stick with, it will help you on the interview circuit to be able to talk about specifics rather than general interests when it comes to research.

24yo white male. Interest in PhD in Clinical, Child Clinical, or Counseling (if the research interests align).
Transfer student at a HYPSM, transferred from a community college
Psychology Major, AAS possessed in Mental Health and Social Work from community college

Community College GPA: 3.91 (graduated Summa Cum Laude)
Community College Major GPA: 3.95 (A in stats)
Current School GPA: 3.86
Current School Major GPA: 3.98 (A+ in stats)
GRE: 158(V), 156(Q), TBA(AWA) - just took it today

Research Experience: Two years in lab as RA in Fragile X and Autism study, and 1.5 years in lab studying longitudinal early life stress, both fairly typical RA experiences... Hoping to have published paper sent for review on Turner Syndrome in late 2019... Sophomore summer spent on independent research project at residential treatment facility implementing a psychosocial curriculum - moderately successful (had its ups and downs), but culminated in a poster presentation at university level... Junior expanded upon this project, and was clinical intern under the clinical therapist of this facility, will present at university level again. Will be starting senior thesis in the fall, and will finish by spring 2020. Also worked with policy lab in the Law School to research how a law on foster youth placements has affected a county's placements. We published a report in March 2019.

Clinical Experience: Prior to transfer, worked for year and a half at residential treatment facility as front line staff with youth in the child welfare (foster care) system. Many have DSM diagnoses. Worked sophomore and junior summers with (masters level) therapist as intern, in addition to the project described above with those youth. I continue to work at this facility on school breaks.

Teaching Experience: Course Development Assistant for a freshman seminar with the same PI I'm hoping to publish with - got the course approved to satisfy an undergrad requirement. Will be Teaching Fellow for Psych One in the fall and winter of this year.

Work Experience: I worked as a full time school bus driver (while attending school full time also) prior to transfer.

Volunteer Experience: I served on the executive board of my hometown's little league baseball organization for five years prior to transfer, and continue to work with them as a special advisor.

Extracurriculars: I am on the leadership team (VP or President level) for three different student groups.

Recs: One from the PI I am publishing with (I also took a class with him my first quarter here and have known him since), one from the advisor that I'll be completing the honors project with (also had a class with her), and one from the masters-level therapist I interned and worked clinically with. All three of those would be very good.

Research Interests: The role of trauma in childhood and adolescent development, as well as its effect on the emergence of psychopathology; treatments and interventions designed to mitigate the long-term effects of trauma within young populations.

Career Interests: I would enjoy some combination of both research and clinical application. Possibly in a children's hospital?

Programs I'm applying to for Fall 2020 entrance:
1. Joint PhD in Clinical Science and Social Work at the University of Michigan
2. PhD in Clinical Child Psychology at the University of Denver
3. MS in Community Health and Prevention Research at Stanford University

One of my extracurriculars (my fraternity) has offered me full funding for the latter program, which has changed my outlook a little bit. It's not the end of the world if I don't get into a program in this cycle, so I'm really only applying to programs that I really want.

Questions:
1. WAMC? (for #1 and #2 in particular)
2. Should I retake the GRE with my current scores?
3. Are there any other programs I should look into with my research interests?

Thanks y'all, good luck to all in this cycle.

Your GPA and GRE are stellar, so that'll help to get you on top of the pile on peripheral stats. Research experience is good for where you are at. The other experience is good, but it's a pretty minor part of the overall application. As for what to do at this point to further add onto a good application? In your shoes, I'd do what I could to at least get a poster presentation or two into a national conference. Sounds like you have a shot to do it with your honors thesis. I'd also ask your faculty PI for the lab you are a manager for if there is any chance to look at some preliminary data for a poster presentation at a conference that they regularly attend. If you can get a manuscript written for a peer-reviewed journal, that'd be icing on the cake. It'd look really good, but not necessary given other application strengths.

As for programs, UWM in Milwaukee has several strong anxiety labs if you are interested. And, it's a program that gives you a strong research background but let's you focus pretty heavily clinical in your later years if you are going into a primarily clinical career. Additionally, start thinking about a narrower research focus. Even if it's not what you will eventually stick with, it will help you on the interview circuit to be able to talk about specifics rather than general interests when it comes to research.

Thank you, this really makes me feel better about where I'm at. I'll have to look in to UWM, especially since its so near me.

I know I need to narrow the research interests down, I just really need to take some time to look over some literature to get an idea of what research questions are even current/revelant etc.

Thank you for the detailed response!

I have 2 letters of recommendations from PhD clinical psychologists. Is it okay if my third letter is from a Psy.D for Ph.D admission?

I have 2 letters of recommendations from PhD clinical psychologists. Is it okay if my third letter is from a Psy.D for Ph.D admission?
Yeah, that would be fine, but it's not so much the degree as it is what they say about you. Anything less than a glowing recommendation is not good and they should be speaking about your capabilities and performance in things relevant to grad school (e.g., doing research) and how they think you will perform as a grad student. I can't recall which specific programs they were (maybe UA?), but I remember a few of the programs I applied to had actual measures on which my referees were supposed to rate my performance across several domains.

Yeah, that would be fine, but it's not so much the degree as it is what they say about you. Anything less than a glowing recommendation is not good and they should be speaking about your capabilities and performance in things relevant to grad school (e.g., doing research) and how they think you will perform as a grad student. I can't recall which specific programs they were (maybe UA?), but I remember a few of the programs I applied to had actual measures on which my referees were supposed to rate my performance across several domains.
Okay thank you so much for replying. I know my Psy.D letter of recommendation will be good . I’m not sure how my two PIs will attest to my knowledge. I can only hope they also write me good letters of recommendation.

Okay thank you so much for replying. I know my Psy.D letter of recommendation will be good . I’m not sure how my two PIs will attest to my knowledge. I can only hope they also write me good letters of recommendation.
I'm not sure what you mean by how they'll "will attest to your knowledge." Do you mean how exactly they will write about you or are you unsure exactly what they think of you?

Someone can correct me if I'm off base, but I've always been told that you shouldn't be soliciting or submitting recommendation letters unless you're sure they'll be great.

I'm not sure what you mean by how they'll "will attest to your knowledge." Do you mean how exactly they will write about you or are you unsure exactly what they think of you?

Someone can correct me if I'm off base, but I've always been told that you shouldn't be soliciting or submitting recommendation letters unless you're sure they'll be great.
I'm unsure about how they feel about my performance in the lab. I mean if they're not good I won't submit but I think the letters from my lab directors will be better than letters from a professor who class I got an A in.

I'm unsure about how they feel about my performance in the lab. I mean if they're not good I won't submit but I think the letters from my lab directors will be better than letters from a professor who class I got an A in.
In every program I've applied to, one of the application documents asks you to either waive or reserve your right to view the recommendation letters submitted on your behalf. Basically, you need to select the former and waive your right in every case, because not waiving it means that you have reservations or uncertainty about the recommendations, thereby casting some doubt about your application. Most programs have switched over to online submissions for letters of recommendation, meaning that you wouldn't really have an opportunity to read them anyways, unless you specifically asked your referee to read one. Those with paper submissions require them to be submitted in a sealed and signed envelope so you can't view them without someone knowing.

Depending on your relationships with them, you could sit down with you referees and ask them what they think of you, what kind of recommendation they will write, etc.

Added some new info and changes since last post:

24yo white male. Interest in PhD in Clinical, Child Clinical, Counseling, or Developmental (if the research interests align).
Psychology Major, AAS possessed in Mental Health and Social Work from community college

GRE: 158(V), 156(Q), 4.5(AWA)

Research Experience: Two years in lab as RA in Fragile X and Autism study, and 1.5 years in lab studying longitudinal early life stress, both fairly typical RA experiences... Hoping to have published paper sent for review on Turner Syndrome in late 2019... Sophomore summer spent on independent research project at residential treatment facility implementing a psychosocial curriculum - moderately successful (had its ups and downs), but culminated in a poster presentation at university level... Junior expanded upon this project, and was clinical intern under the clinical therapist of this facility, will present at university level again. Will be starting senior thesis in the fall, and will finish by spring 2020. Also worked with policy lab in the Law School to research how a law on foster youth placements has affected a county's placements. We published a report in March 2019. In short that's two presentations and one publication with another on the way.

Clinical Experience: Prior to transfer, worked for year and a half at residential treatment facility as front line staff with youth in the child welfare (foster care) system. Many have DSM diagnoses. Worked sophomore and junior summers with (masters level) therapist as intern, in addition to the project described above with those youth. I continue to work at this facility on school breaks.

Teaching Experience: Course Development Assistant for a freshman seminar with the same PI I'm hoping to publish with - got the course approved to satisfy an undergrad requirement. TA for Intro Psych course in the fall and winter of this year.

Work Experience: I worked as a full time school bus driver (while attending school full time also) prior to transfer.

Volunteer Experience: I served on the executive board of my hometown's little league baseball organization for five years prior to transfer, and continue to work with them as a special advisor.

Extracurriculars: I am on the leadership team (VP or President level) for three different student groups.

Recs: One from the PI I am publishing with (I also took a class with him my first quarter here and have known him since), one from the advisor that I'll be completing the honors project with (also had a class with her), and one from the masters-level therapist I interned and worked clinically with. All three of those would be very good.

Research Interests: The role of trauma in childhood and adolescent development, as well as its effect on the emergence of psychopathology; treatments and interventions designed to mitigate the long-term effects of trauma within young populations.

Career Interests: I would enjoy some combination of both research and clinical application. Possibly in a children's hospital?

Programs I'm definitely applying to for Fall 2020 entrance:
1. Joint PhD in Developmental Psychology and Social Work at the University of Michigan

A lot has changed for me financially and with my home situation in the last few weeks, and not for the better. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford much of an application cycle, and I may need to return to my home state (Michigan) regardless.

Questions:
1. WAMC for the Joint PhD program?
3. Are there any other programs I should look into with my research interests? Particularly in Michigan, but willing to explore anywhere.

Added some new info and changes since last post:

24yo white male. Interest in PhD in Clinical, Child Clinical, Counseling, or Developmental (if the research interests align).

GRE: 158(V), 156(Q), 4.5(AWA)

Research Experience: Two years in lab as RA in Fragile X and Autism study, and 1.5 years in lab studying longitudinal early life stress, both fairly typical RA experiences... Hoping to have published paper sent for review on Turner Syndrome in late 2019... Sophomore summer spent on independent research project at residential treatment facility implementing a psychosocial curriculum - moderately successful (had its ups and downs), but culminated in a poster presentation at university level... Junior expanded upon this project, and was clinical intern under the clinical therapist of this facility, will present at university level again. Will be starting senior thesis in the fall, and will finish by spring 2020. Also worked with policy lab in the Law School to research how a law on foster youth placements has affected a county's placements. We published a report in March 2019. In short that's two presentations and one publication with another on the way.

Teaching Experience: Course Development Assistant for a freshman seminar with the same PI I'm hoping to publish with - got the course approved to satisfy an undergrad requirement. TA for Intro Psych course in the fall and winter of this year.

Programs I'm definitely applying to for Fall 2020 entrance:
1. Joint PhD in Developmental Psychology and Social Work at the University of Michigan

A lot has changed for me financially and with my home situation in the last few weeks, and not for the better. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford much of an application cycle, and I may need to return to my home state (Michigan) regardless.

Questions:
1. WAMC for the Joint PhD program?
3. Are there any other programs I should look into with my research interests? Particularly in Michigan, but willing to explore anywhere.
Since your career interests include doing clinical work, it would probably be a good idea to directly ask about this for the joint social work and psychology PhD program. Those kinds of joint programs are often focused on training TT faculty, career researchers, and policy makers, with far less emphasis, if any, on clinical work.

I'm not in social work, but my understanding is that social work PhDs are more for research and policy anyways. There's also the doctor of social work (DSW) degree that's more practice-oriented, kind of like a PsyD for social workers.

Furthermore, a joint social work-psych PhD wouldn't really make you a practicing psychologist, the provision of your degree would be as a social worker. You wouldn't be eligible for positions designated for licensed clinical, counseling, or school psychologists, as you scope of practice would be different.