Hi everyone, I have posted before, but I'm finally applying this month and have my most up date date info.
I am applying to the following schools for clinical psych:
1)uni of rochester
2)uni of washington
3)wisonsin-madison
4)harvard
5)indiana bloomington
6) one local masters program (if accepted I probably wouldn't go anyway)
GPA
Undergrad gpa: 3.029 (had a 2.1 first two years of college, got straight A's last two years, and this is the outcome. I worked really hard and I did mention this change in my personal statement. Should I remove the scary looking 2.1 from my statement?)
psych major gpa: 4.0
survey research minor gpa: 4.0
Last 60+ credits gpa: 4.0
GRE
161V, 151Q, 4.5AWA
Psych GRE: waiting on results
Posters (15 total):
1st author on 10 (only 2 are local-college level, the rest are international, national, and regional
2nd author on 4 (mix of conference levels)
6th author on 1 (first national conference)
Manuscripts (all in prep- 7 total):
1st author (1), 2nd author (1), 3rd author (3), 5th author (2)
(these 5th authorship ones are in my most recent lab and actually pertain to what I want to do in grad school, whereas the others are not related at all (still psych methods, just different content area).
Research Experience (total 3 years):
Lab A:
3 years (1 as an RA, 1 as Lab manager, 1 as post-grad researcher(concurrent with time at Lab B))
I did everything here: IRBs, hiring, new study design, data collection/cleaning, posters, manuscripts etc.........the post grad position is now, and is remote work where i basically consult on studies I started and write papers.
Not the content area I wish to research in grad school
During lab manager year I was also an NSF REU fellow in this lab
Lab B:
1 year (full-time job as an RA post graduating- current position)
Collect data (eeg, neuropsych, interviews), recruit, consent etc. help with lit reviews for manuscripts in research content area I am interested in.
Actual Lab focus is not on content area of interest.
3rd experience:
I was in an advanced survey research practicum class and conducted a study through the irb. Went on to present findings (lack there of lol) at a college conference. Teacher is now deceased so no letter. I was only student to go through irb.
Recommendation Letters (total 3):
1. Lab A: Excellent (from PI)
2. Lab B: Excellent (from famous? PI/lab)
3. Professor (not yet Dr. ): good? I took one class with him but we did speak about research etc. and he said he is happy to write me a good one. (My other
Clinical Experience:
6 month internship with a clinical population of no interest to me personally but it was a good experience and helped rule out a pop.
I have reached out to a few potential professors, and they mostly encouraged me to apply unless they were not taking any applications. No one directly told me "no" to my low gpa when I asked, but I'm guessing they kinda have to say that.
Anyway, I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!