2018-2019 Tulane University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got that R finally

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed during late January like a few posters here but did not receive a decision yesterday. Why could this be or what does this mean? Sorry if this is a silly question

Reactions: 1 user
They might be racking and stacking. I know each applicant gets a rating. The very high ranked and very low ranked are probably easier. While the middle tier which is mostly everyone needs to be looked at more closely. This is just my speculation only though

Reactions: 1 users
I also interviewed during late January like a few posters here but did not receive a decision yesterday. Why could this be or what does this mean? Sorry if this is a silly question

Haha I don’t think it’s a silly question, I was wondering the same thing too! I also interviewed on January 18th but haven’t heard back yet. It could just be that whoever was in charge of going over our applications hasn’t finished deciding as quickly as the other committee members have. In the packet they gave us, they explained that we all receive an average committee vote from 1-5 based on our entire application - typically those that score a 5 are accepted immediately but those scoring above 3 could still be accepted, so it’s also possible that the people who were accepted received a 4.5-5 and that we scored less and our applications are now going through the second round of consideration. Regardless, there’s nothing we can do but wait, so I wouldn’t stress about it. No news is good news!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Any more post acceptance range movement/information?

Just a little frustrated because I was told the other day that I will definitely hear something by the end of this week, based on my interview date. Hopefully there's more news by the end of today

Haha I don’t think it’s a silly question, I was wondering the same thing too! I also interviewed on January 18th but haven’t heard back yet. It could just be that whoever was in charge of going over our applications hasn’t finished deciding as quickly as the other committee members have. In the packet they gave us, they explained that we all receive an average committee vote from 1-5 based on our entire application - typically those that score a 5 are accepted immediately but those scoring above 3 could still be accepted, so it’s also possible that the people who were accepted received a 4.5-5 and that we scored less and our applications are now going through the second round of consideration. Regardless, there’s nothing we can do but wait, so I wouldn’t stress about it. No news is good news!

Thank you for this information - that's true, nothing that we can do but wait! Good luck to you and to all of us :)

Got the acceptance email today! Interviewed in January! (International student from West Africa). I add the continent to inspire someone who sees this to never give up on your dream! It's possible. You're possible!

Congrats! i'm also an international student, interviewed in january too but no decision yet. Super proud of you ! :')

Members don't see this ad :)
Just posting for those who have been on the acceptance range list. I was put on acceptance range very early in the cycle, interviewed in early September. I was accepted this week, so they are starting to look at it.

Just posting for those who have been on the acceptance range list. I was put on acceptance range very early in the cycle, interviewed in early September. I was accepted this week, so they are starting to look at it.

Did you send it updates or no? Same boat.

Have ANY mid-December interviewees heard anything at all? I feel like they just skipped over us

I interviewed mid December also. Haven’t heard anything. I don’t think they go in order. Rather they may have members on the committee who have interviewed applicants on a particular day and they are the ones available to meet on any particular week to discuss admits, WL, or rejections.
I find it hard to believe they would just skip over an entire week of interviewees. It’s torture waiting, for sure, and difficult to be patient but I don’t see any other choice.

Have ANY mid-December interviewees heard anything at all? I feel like they just skipped over us
I interviewed mid December also. Haven’t heard anything. I don’t think they go in order. Rather they may have members on the committee who have interviewed applicants on a particular day and they are the ones available to meet on any particular week to discuss admits, WL, or rejections.
I find it hard to believe they would just skip over an entire week of interviewees. It’s torture waiting, for sure, and difficult to be patient but I don’t see any other choice.
One of the guys I befriended on interview day got straight up accepted a solid month after me, no acceptance range. I think it varies by application score among other logistical things like if the committee got to your app during the allotted meeting time.

One of the guys I befriended on interview day got straight up accepted a solid month after me, no acceptance range. I think it varies by application score among other logistical things like if the committee got to your app during the allotted meeting time.

Woah that's wild. Yet another example showing us that no one really knows the logistics and that I should not be jumping to conclusions until news is shared. thank you for the story though! It is encouraging

Woah that's wild. Yet another example showing us that no one really knows the logistics and that I should not be jumping to conclusions until news is shared. thank you for the story though! It is encouraging

All accredited schools apparently have to define their “Final Authority of Admissions Committee” (LCME Element 10.2). You can google most schools’ exact admissions policy by searching something along the lines of “[School X] LCME 10.2.” Tulane’s says that once an applicant’s interview scores are in, they’re moved to the complete pool, and 10-12 applications are RANDOMLY pulled from this pool per reviewer per week, then scores are averaged, and then there’s a cutoff score for Acceptances (and presumably Acceptance Range and R from the handout they gave at interview). I honestly don’t think the length of time to hear back is indicative of anything about the applicant. N=1, but some people from my interview day got waitlisted weeks before me but I was accepted outright over two months after my interview.

Last edited:
All accredited schools apparently have to define their “Final Authority of Admissions Committee” (LCME Element 10.2). You can google most schools’ exact admissions policy by searching something along the lines of “[School X] LCME 10.2.” Tulane’s says that once an applicant’s interview scores are in, they’re moved to the complete pool, and 10-12 applications are RANDOMLY pulled from this pool per reviewer per week, then scores are averaged, and then there’s a cutoff score for Acceptances (and presumably Acceptance Range and R from the handout they gave at interview). I honestly don’t think the length of time to hear back is indicative of anything about the applicant. N=1, but some people from my interview day got waitlisted weeks before me but I was accepted outright over two months after my interview.

Thanks for the insight and the pro tip! Much appreciated, did not know that this was a thing :) congrats again

Just got an II, after put on hold in October. Got that identical hold email last week. Complete in the summer! Only two interview days left.

Reactions: 5 users

The dean told us that the biggest reason for long waits is reviewers not getting a decision/comments back to her

What's the general post-interview turnaround time here? I saw that some people who interviewed in January heard back already. Any Feb 1st interviewees hear back yet?

What's the general post-interview turnaround time here? I saw that some people who interviewed in January heard back already. Any Feb 1st interviewees hear back yet?
I’m a mid-December interviewee with no decision yet...

Hey guys! I was placed in the acceptance range when decisions first came out in mid October (sent in an update in early January). Do you guys know when the majority of the acceptance range movement occurs here at Tulane? Is it around April/May? I was looking at last years thread and saw that there were not many people taken off the waitlist last year ..

Hey guys! I was placed in the acceptance range when decisions first came out in mid October (sent in an update in early January). Do you guys know when the majority of the acceptance range movement occurs here at Tulane? Is it around April/May? I was looking at last years thread and saw that there were not many people taken off the waitlist last year ..

Its mostly in april/may. I know they made a point to say that there would be more WL movement this year so fingers crossed!

Tulane, will you be my Valentine?!
0_f9fa87fe17e37de6c3cf041380cef0c4.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if admissions makes acceptance/rejection decisions on a weekly basis?

Did Tulane specifically say that there would be more WL movement this year???
The acceptance range email says " While some applicants are accepted into the class immediately following this initial committee review, the great majority of applicants are placed into the Acceptance Range category."

I've heard from current student that there is a lot of movement from this list.

The acceptance range email says " While some applicants are accepted into the class immediately following this initial committee review, the great majority of applicants are placed into the Acceptance Range category."

I've heard from current student that there is a lot of movement from this list.
I remember reading that but thinking that they were just trying to let me down lightly. I hope they actually meant that though!

Sorry to hear that, but do you mind telling us when in December did you interview? Early or mid? Also stats if you don't mind?

Interviewed early in December, and I think my Lizzy M was around 70-71.

Would like to know this as well
Hey I also called admissions today and asked when I would hear back (I am a mid December interview) and he said it is weird that I haven’t heard back/ at first said I should have heard already. But then he checked and found that the admissions committee hasn’t met about my application yet for some reason and I would be hearing back by the end of next week at the latest

Hey I also called admissions today and asked when I would hear back (I am a mid December interview) and he said it is weird that I haven’t heard back/ at first said I should have heard already. But then he checked and found that the admissions committee hasn’t met about my application yet for some reason and I would be hearing back by the end of next week at the latest
lol I don't know what to believe anymore, but I hope you're right!

I'm wondering again: was anyone here actually rejected post interview, or did Tulane put everyone on their waitlist?

Accepted today! Interviewed 1/30.

Acceptance range interviewed 2/01.
Second waitlist this week. :(

Can any accepted/current Tulane students comment on how generous the school is with financial aid and scholarship money? Thanks!

Haven’t received anything and I was accepted back on October 15th

Can any accepted/current Tulane students comment on how generous the school is with financial aid and scholarship money? Thanks!
Haven’t received anything and I was accepted back on October 15th

I asked on my interview day when we would receive scholarships if we do. They said we receive them upon acceptance but given that no one on SDN has mentioned anything about being offered a scholarship I don't believe the information I was given was accurate. Also, judging by the extremely high average indebtedness of the school ($253,000 according to the MSAR) I don't think they offer much.

I asked on my interview day when we would receive scholarships if we do. They said we receive them upon acceptance but given that no one on SDN has mentioned anything about being offered a scholarship I don't believe the information I was given was accurate. Also, judging by the extremely high average indebtedness of the school ($253,000 according to the MSAR) I don't think they offer much.

I'm a scholarship recipient (merit, didn't apply for any besides generally applying for federal loans, you can DM me for amount idk) and one day in May it randomly appeared in my Gibson portal without any explanation. It wasn't even named until like late July. I had to call the financial aid office to make sure it was real lol.

Anyone know if we can anticipate more wait list movement after today's "plan to enroll" option opens up?

Anyone know if we can anticipate more wait list movement after today's "plan to enroll" option opens up?
I guess it depends on whether people only have today to select that option