2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete 8/13 and still waiting on an II. However my updated MCAT scores did not come in until 8/24

Members don't see this ad.

Texas resident, LM 73,completed 7/24. Still no II? Is there hope?

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas resident, LM 73,completed 7/24. Still no II? Is there hope?

I feel ya.

It’s not over yet, but they are beginning to fill up November. All we can do is wait and see.

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried sending an ITA email? I'll be flying into houston at the end of the month and if they happen to send an II, this could be really convenient for me cost-wise!!

Completely forgot to post this, but II this past Wednesday. I almost cried in the middle of work. LizzyM ~69, ORM, IS, complete mid July, so I'd bet they're just now sorting through their "maybe" pile. They are just now booking interviews through November and the beginning of December, so have hope, comrades! If I can get an II, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until you all get ones in your inboxes!

Reactions: 1 users
When did you submit? I was an idiot and submitted late. Non trad. 70 LM. White dude.

I'm beginning to panic.
Completely forgot to post this, but II this past Wednesday. I almost cried in the middle of work. LizzyM ~69, ORM, IS, complete mid July, so I'd bet they're just now sorting through their "maybe" pile. They are just now booking interviews through November and the beginning of December, so have hope, comrades! If I can get an II, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until you all get ones in your inboxes!

When did you submit? I was an idiot and submitted late. Non trad. 70 LM. White dude.

I'm beginning to panic.

Sorry about that. I was transmitted at the very end of June. I submitted the secondary in mid-July. My scores and letters were all in at that point (mid-July) as well.

II today!!
IS, complete 8/28, LM 65
literally crying this is one of my top choices & my first texas II :clap:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
II today,
IS, complete 8/20

Nov 30 is the soonest available at this point. Hope this helps people know where scheduling is for the cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
II today,
IS, complete 8/20, White, LM ~60

Set my interview for Nov 30, which is the soonest available at this point. Hope this helps people and excited to meet other interviewees there! This is my second interview and wow, everyone was so competent and nice at the first one I bet selecting candidates is so hard for these schools. I do not envy them.
Good luck! I seriously want an II but oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
II! Pretty surprised because I submitted the secondary 2 hours before the deadline on 10/1. LizzyM 67.4, 511 MCAT, URM, IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Still no II.
Me too. It hurts. Complete 8/7, LizzyM 66.7, URM, and my hometown... hoping we hear from them soon.

I’m starting to think my essays sucked or something. They were good enough for Lubbock tho, so who knows?

Anybody interviewing today?! I saw a bunch of interviewees in the leather lounge. Always makes me smile :)

Everyone who has interviewed... what was the day like? I’m OOS and interviewing next week! My heart is in Houston and I really want to make this one count. Open file? Relaxed interviews? Thank you for any advice!!

Everyone who has interviewed... what was the day like? I’m OOS and interviewing next week! My heart is in Houston and I really want to make this one count. Open file? Relaxed interviews? Thank you for any advice!!
2 open file interviews, about 20 minutes each. Very relaxed/conversational in my case (know your application and activities, of course). Although there were a couple of people who said they had slightly more challenging interviews. Overall a pretty fun day!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still with you man.. Starting to lose hope for this one :(

Kind of given up hope on McGovern as well, but not too disappointed with this one because from what I know about the school it would be ranked far down on my list of TX schools at this point out of the schools I've already interviewed at.

Kind of given up hope on McGovern as well, but not too disappointed with this one because from what I know about the school it would be ranked far down on my list of TX schools at this point out of the schools I've already interviewed at.
Just curious, why would they be low on your list?

Just curious, why would they be low on your list?

For reasons that may be unique to me but there are several. Of course, interview day might change my mind, but based on what I know about the school (mostly from people who go there), it doesn't seem like it would be a better fit for me than several of the other schools I've already interviewed at.

OOS Acceptance through email today! HYPEEE

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if McGovern allows out-of-state students to reclassify and pay in-state tuition after the first year?

Does anyone know if McGovern allows out-of-state students to reclassify and pay in-state tuition after the first year?

Pretty sure residency is determined by state law, and if I remember correctly if your sole purpose for being in TX is to go to school, you can't be considered a resident for tuition purposes. Some ways you can be considered a resident is if you get a job here, own real property, own a TX-based business, or are married to someone who meets any of the aforementioned conditions. Also, there is some loophole I've heard other schools talk about where if you get a scholarship from the school, then you get to pay in-state tuition.

According to the MSAR, McGovern is one of the schools that will grant state residency for non-residents. You can find the info for other schools under application policies from the MSAR. But as esob mentioned, even if they don't explicit have this, some schools do the "scholarship" loophole. UTRGV for instance told the OOS applicants at my interview day they'll be paying in state tuition. Granted it is a lot easier to get the powers that be on board when there's only 5 or so OOS matriculants.

According to the MSAR, McGovern is one of the schools that will grant state residency for non-residents. You can find the info for other schools under application policies from the MSAR. But as esob mentioned, even if they don't explicit have this, some schools do the "scholarship" loophole. UTRGV for instance told the OOS applicants at my interview day they'll be paying in state tuition. Granted it is a lot easier to get the powers that be on board when there's only 5 or so OOS matriculants.

What you heard at UTRGV is the same thing I heard at Tech Lubbock, so there are at least a couple of schools that do it.

Is it possible that being a permanent resident and ORM, might be the reason for me not getting any IIs yet?
My LM 74, IS, completed on 7/23 . Anybody in same category?

Hey y'all, I'm an MS4 at McGovern so let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck with the rest of the interview season!

What are the research opportunities like at McGovern?

Depends on the department, but overall very good. Don't want to give too much details on a public forum, but here's my experience:

Most students do not know what they want to do when they come into med school. McGovern is a great choice for this, because some smaller med schools do not have home programs for some of the more competitive specialties = harder to find research / meet mentors/ get letter for smaller specialties. I'm talking surgical subspecialties and the like. We pretty much have everything. I actually found a really cool engineering/nanomedicine project that is atypical for a med school project, and am fairly certain that sort of project would be more difficult to stumble upon at some of the smaller med schools.

As a 3rd/4th year med student, it is very easy to find clinical research opportunities as you interact with faculty and residents. Plus with the addition of us being in the TMC and having a fairly high volume county hospital, case reports and series are easy to come by. We also have many PhDs to find basic science projects with if that's what you want. And if you can't find what you want at our school or are going into a specialty where our home program is not as research heavy, MD Anderson is right down the street. As a med student as MDA, there are so many faculty members looking for students to conduct, present, and write up projects. I know from many of my friends that they showed up at MDA to do one project, but ended up having multiple just because there are so many projects there. Students applying into all fields (IM, surg subsecialties, gen surg, rad onc, peds, derm, etc) have researched at MDA.

TL;DR- We have a ton. If we don't have what you are looking for, MD Anderson will.

Reactions: 4 users
Depends on the department, but overall very good. Don't want to give too much details on a public forum, but here's my experience:

Most students do not know what they want to do when they come into med school. McGovern is a great choice for this, because some smaller med schools do not have home programs for some of the more competitive specialties = harder to find research / meet mentors/ get letter for smaller specialties. I'm talking surgical subspecialties and the like. We pretty much have everything. I actually found a really cool engineering/nanomedicine project that is atypical for a med school project, and am fairly certain that sort of project would be more difficult to stumble upon at some of the smaller med schools.

As a 3rd/4th year med student, it is very easy to find clinical research opportunities as you interact with faculty and residents. Plus with the addition of us being in the TMC and having a fairly high volume county hospital, case reports and series are easy to come by. We also have many PhDs to find basic science projects with if that's what you want. And if you can't find what you want at our school or are going into a specialty where our home program is not as research heavy, MD Anderson is right down the street. As a med student as MDA, there are so many faculty members looking for students to conduct, present, and write up projects. I know from many of my friends that they showed up at MDA to do one project, but ended up having multiple just because there are so many projects there. Students applying into all fields (IM, surg subsecialties, gen surg, rad onc, peds, derm, etc) have researched at MDA.

TL;DR- We have a ton. If we don't have what you are looking for, MD Anderson will.

This was quite helpful. Thank you!

stats wise you should be fine, any red flags in your application such as an IA or a DUI?

IA = Institutional Action. This includes things such as cheating, plagiarism, egregious violations of the student code of conduct, etc. They typically show up on your transcripts and you are required to disclose them on your application.

Then you should be fine. I think we will see a nice chunk of invites go out over the next month. When I was at A & M just a couple weeks ago they were only at the halfway point of interviews for the cycle.
I think this is accurate!
Be encouraged everyone! I submitted my application in August, and got an interview at McGovern in January! And here I am :)

Good luck Everybody!

Reactions: 7 users
Sent out a couple emails asking Doctors from fields I'm interested in to let me follow. Literally have more opportunities than I have time for. This is what I love about McGovern. Without too many details.. I'm about to pull an all-nighter in a fast-paced hospital in a field outside of the rotation I'm on. I love it here.

LizzyM: 73
ECs: research, shadowing, volunteering, organizations, etc.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting an interview? I really want to go to McGovern, so I'm still trying to hold out hope. I know I submitted my application really late, which is probably going to hurt me.

Last edited:
LizzyM: 73
ECs: research, shadowing, volunteering, organizations, etc.
Institutional actions: 1 from the very beginning of my freshman year
Graduated in 3 years
Indian male
Application transmitted to McGovern: 9/14
Secondary Invite: 9/17
Secondary Submission: 10/1

Do you think I still have a chance of getting an interview? I really want to go to McGovern, so I'm still trying to hold out hope.
yes, of course. Hang in there

Anyone who submitted mid July receive an II recently?

Lizzym70, but recent IIs have been from September, don’t know if applicants who submitted that early are still being considered?

Anyone who submitted mid July receive an II recently?

Lizzym70, but recent IIs have been from September, don’t know if applicants who submitted that early are still being considered?
I’m still waiting too buddy. I hope I hear back this week, this is literally my dream school

I’m still waiting too buddy. I hope I hear back this week, this is literally my dream school
submission time here doesn't correlate to the II date here, at least from my experience! Don't give up hope