2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a Facebook group for accepted students or anything like that
Yeah, there is a Facebook group. Just search "SKMC (Jefferson) class of 2024" and you should find it. It'll ask for your real name, your campus key, and I think your email.

Members don't see this ad.

There's greek life in med school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I graduated from Jeff last year. Happy to answer questions anyone might have.

Hi everyone! I graduated from Jeff last year. Happy to answer questions anyone might have.

Do you know if the school will have curriculum changes/rearrangements or anything for this upcoming year due to Covid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if the school will have curriculum changes or anything for this upcoming year due to Covid?
No idea. (I'm an intern at another hospital now so not totally in the loop on that stuff anymore). My guess is it's still too early to predict. I'm sure they are planning for all possible situations.

Edit: in regards to COVID, if you're in Philly, there are Jeff students working with other philly med schools to get PPE and supplies to hospitals. I'm sure there are ways to get involved. If you aren't in Philly, def find ways to get involved in your own community!

No idea. (I'm an intern at another hospital now so not totally in the loop on that stuff anymore). My guess is it's still too early to predict. I'm sure they are planning for all possible situations.

Edit: in regards to COVID, if you're in Philly, there are Jeff students working with other philly med schools to get PPE and supplies to hospitals. I'm sure there are ways to get involved. If you aren't in Philly, def find ways to get involved in your own community!

Mhm, perhaps too earlier to tell.

What was your experience like with housing? Were most people on campus? Philly suburbs? Jersey suburbs?
Do a lot of students live together in off-campus arrangements?

Mhm, perhaps too earlier to tell.

What was your experience like with housing? Were most people on campus? Philly suburbs? Jersey suburbs?
Do a lot of students live together in off-campus arrangements?

I lived off campus all 4 years, but close to campus. Most people live in or near center city, but some in other neighborhoods, fewer in places outside the city. Huge mix of housing arrangements considering class size. Pick what's best for you. Living in the dorms is convenient especially if you haven't lived in Philly before and loops you into the social aspect of dorm life which can be nice. Space is limited in dorms though.

I lived off campus all 4 years, but close to campus. Most people live in or near center city, but some in other neighborhoods, fewer in places outside the city. Huge mix of housing arrangements considering class size. Pick what's best for you. Living in the dorms is convenient especially if you haven't lived in Philly before and loops you into the social aspect of dorm life which can be nice. Space is limited in dorms though.
what philly neighborhoods to most students live in? historically or when you were in school

Does anyone know whether Jefferson would prefer a letter of recommendation from a physician (MD)? I have the committee letter and 4 individual letters, but no letter from a physician. Would this be looked upon negatively?

what philly neighborhoods to most students live in? historically or when you were in school
All over really, with more people closer to campus. So Rittenhouse, Market Square, Society Hill, Old City, Washington Square, Bella Vista. All are walking distance to campus. It's really personal preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether Jefferson would prefer a letter of recommendation from a physician (MD)? I have the committee letter and 4 individual letters, but no letter from a physician. Would this be looked upon negatively?
From the SKMC website:

"* We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (preferably one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible). Applicants who have been involved in graduate programs are encouraged to provide additional letters from their graduate schools. Letters of recommendation must be received by January 1."

That being said, I only had a biology and chemistry professor letter, along with a physician, and a clinical work supervisor, and I still got in. In regards to your overall application, a lot of schools recommend that you have a letter from a physician or other healthcare professional that can speak about your character, so it may be helpful to secure one! There is still some time before the cycle opens, I'd think about securing on of those!

For the Second Look, has anyone gotten the Zoom link? I'll I've gotten so far is the RSVP form.

Happy "D-Day", I did some digging and last year around the same time they had a final adcom meeting as well. People who reported on SDN got calls closer to 4/5pm rather than 2/3pm which makes sense since they probably have a lot to go through. Probably has no correlation to today, especially with our current circumstances, but in case anyone else is freaking out like me, don't give up hope if you dont hear by 3 :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Reactions: 4 users
Happy "D-Day", I did some digging and last year around the same time they had a final adcom meeting as well. People who reported on SDN got calls closer to 4/5pm rather than 2/3pm which makes sense since they probably have a lot to go through. Probably has no correlation to today, especially with our current circumstances, but in case anyone else is freaking out like me, don't give up hope if you dont hear by 3 :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
I'm assuming this means movement off of the HPWL is not likely? /:

I'm assuming this means movement off of the HPWL is not likely? /:

Haven't looked into HPWL trends much since I haven't heard back yet, but based on previous convos with a friend who is on the HPWL, I thought they wouldn't start looking at HPWL until May after the April 30th Traffic Day? Today's adcom meeting I think is to look at everyone who interviewed and still hasn't heard yet. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't looked into HPWL trends much since I haven't heard back yet, but based on previous convos with a friend who is on the HPWL, I thought they wouldn't start looking at HPWL until May after the April 30th Traffic Day? Today's adcom meeting I think is to look at everyone who interviewed and still hasn't heard yet. Could be wrong though.
That sounds about right, best of luck!! Hope you get some good news soon

Thanks guys - just feeling bummed out bc I really saw myself at Jeff but you're right, there's still hope :)
I completely understand. I bawled happy tears after interview day (9/11/19) because I knew I HAD to go there! Such a wonderful place. I’m rooting for you!!

Reactions: 2 users
According to MSAR, they accept ~40 students out of ~370 students on the waitlist. So there is definitely hope for those waitlisted. Good luck to everyone~

congrats!! are you definitely attending??

Yes! this has been my top choice school and I'm still in shock. I just got the follow up email and accepted the offer. 7 weeks post-interview I really thought I was doomed. Thank you everyone on this forum who kept my hope alive! y'all have been nothing but supportive and positive!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
According to MSAR, they accept ~40 students out of ~370 students on the waitlist. So there is definitely hope for those waitlisted. Good luck to everyone~
Odds are even better than that too with LOI and updates!

Anyone happen to know big the HPWL is vs the regular WL?

Yes! this has been my top choice school and I'm still in shock. I just got the follow up email and accepted the offer. 7 weeks post-interview I really thought I was doomed. Thank you everyone on this forum who kept my hope alive! y'all have been nothing but supportive and positive!

Ah! that's amazing - congratulations!!

Congrats! So happy for you

I’d estimate ~50/50. SDN isn’t representative, but who knows?

From this thread, it does look like most people are on the HPWL. By the way, in the decision email do you guys have "special high priority category" or just "high priority waitlist"? It also says the positions are not ranked lol

From this thread, it does look like most people are on the HPWL. By the way, in the decision email do you guys have "special high priority category" or just "high priority waitlist"? It also says the positions are not ranked lol

"You have been placed into a special High Priority category by the Committee. This list is flexible and there are no ranked positions."

do WL-->A notifications come in the form of a call or an email?

EDIT: did my own research (last cycle's thread), and it looks like Dean C. makes all of the calls herself, even over the weekend in some cases! Movement occurred May 1st through about May 4th, and not after that, except an odd one or two a few weeks after (though this is limited to those who report on here, obviously).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

EDIT: did my own research (last cycle's thread), and it looks like Dean C. makes all of the calls herself, even over the weekend in some cases! Movement occurred May 1st through about May 4th, and not after that, except an odd one or two a few weeks after (though this is limited to those who report on here, obviously).
and limited due to the fact we are in a pandemic..