2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any news today?

Now would be a super good time for a few of those "just withdrew my app" posts...it's gonna be a long month, wake me up when May ends.
Has anyone had contact with admissions lately on the movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Hiiii frands, I called admissions! I am on the HPWL and just generally asked how things were moving. She said it’s moving but didn’t say much else

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hiiii frands, I called admissions! I am on the HPWL and just generally asked how things were moving. She said it’s moving but didn’t say much else

I guess I should send them another letter, declaring my intention of handing over my first born child if they would only let me in.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
it says 18+ new members added to the fb group within the past week. i bet some of them are current students but imagine a good number of them are the waitlist movement. morale is low:(

it says 18+ new members added to the fb group within the past week. i bet some of them are current students but imagine a good number of them are the waitlist movement. morale is low:(
This is just a message for everyone. There is a large silver lining to not being in medical school this year. We can say the cheesy: It means we are supposed to be doing something else... everything happens for a reason. With so much uncertainty regarding our potential first year, we may not able to have the meaningful, purposeful interactions associated with the clinic; we may not be in a new city, creating new relationships with classmates; in other words, we may not have the most integral parts of medical education. Waiting another year may mean that we have another year of uncertainty, but a medical school acceptance does not change this uncertainty.

A global pandemic changes everything,

I do not know everyone's circumstances, but I know that my neuroticism and constant babbling about the WL has brought me to the point of insanity. As much as reapplying is going to suck, there is a silver lining. We will all be doctors at some point and for some of us, it will not start this year.

but we are all going to be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a message for everyone. There is a large silver lining to not being in medical school this year. We can say the cheesy: It means we are supposed to be doing something else... everything happens for a reason. With so much uncertainty regarding our potential first year, we may not able to have the meaningful, purposeful interactions associated with the clinic; we may not be in a new city, creating new relationships with classmates; in other words, we may not have the most integral parts of medical education. Waiting another year may mean that we have another year of uncertainty, but a medical school acceptance does not change this uncertainty.

A global pandemic changes everything,

I do not know everyone's circumstances, but I know that my neuroticism and constant babbling about the WL has brought me to the point of insanity. As much as reapplying is going to suck, there is a silver lining. We will all be doctors at some point and for some of us, it will not be this year.

but we are all going to be okay.

thank you for this! i know i need to be less negative, but it was just one of those days where it hit me hard

Reactions: 1 user
thank you for this! i know i need to be less negative, but it was just one of those days where it hit me hard
I’ve been taking this WL and no A personally (comparing myself with others, etc), so i feel this. It’s been a rough cycle, but I’ve had enough of feeling sorry for myself!

Reactions: 1 users

I got the same vague response this morning when I called

So from inside the FB group I can see the specific people who have joined the group recently. In the past week, it looks like 20 people have joined the group. Of these 20, 3 of them have it listed on their profile that they are students at SKMC, but I know of at least 2 others who are current students who just don't have it listed on their FB profile. Looking at the rest of the members of the group, there are 51 people with SKMC listed on their profile, plus another 8 admins. I'd guess that plenty of others simply don't put it on their FB profile, or have security settings that block others from seeing it.

So all in all, there is good enough reason to believe that at least 60 of the 305 members are current students, for those of you who are wondering! The majority of posts on here are current students who are looking to sell their contracts or looking for another roommate, so it's definitely safe to say that many of the people in the group are current students.

Reactions: 5 users
So from inside the FB group I can see the specific people who have joined the group recently. In the past week, it looks like 20 people have joined the group. Of these 20, 3 of them have it listed on their profile that they are students at SKMC, but I know of at least 2 others who are current students who just don't have it listed on their FB profile. Looking at the rest of the members of the group, there are 51 people with SKMC listed on their profile, plus another 8 admins. I'd guess that plenty of others simply don't put it on their FB profile, or have security settings that block others from seeing it.

So all in all, there is good enough reason to believe that at least 60 of the 305 members are current students, for those of you who are wondering! The majority of posts on here are current students who are looking to sell their contracts or looking for another roommate, so it's definitely safe to say that many of the people in the group are current students.

Omg, thank you so much!

Omg, thank you so much!

where do we send the fruit basket???? we owe u big time

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ! do you have any updates on the GroupMe?
Currently, there are 162 members, with about 10 added in the past week or so. I don't know how accurate of a representation of the class size this is. I just barely joined and I was accepted in November.

Dang this is really hard. I appreciate the earlier post about there being silver linings to this, but the truth is that some people have worked for many years after college to prepare for this and we've all sacrificed so much to even get to this point.

I really hope we don't have to wait until July to find out.

Currently, there are 162 members, with about 10 added in the past week or so. I don't know how accurate of a representation of the class size this is. I just barely joined and I was accepted in November.
do you need to get the campus key verified to join the groupme?

Anyone hear back today?

Update: Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone tried reaching out to their faculty interviewer? Considering this route

Has anyone tried reaching out to their faculty interviewer? Considering this route
Most of the time the faculty interviewer has no say outside of what they say in their report. It may be a good idea to ask the interviewer what you can improve on in your next cycle!

On a related note, is anyone reaching out to the school to ask for guidance on why they were waitlisted?

Most of the time the faculty interviewer has no say outside of what they say in their report. It may be a good idea to ask the interviewer what you can improve on in your next cycle!

On a related note, is anyone reaching out to the school to ask for guidance on why they were waitlisted?
I doubt the admissions has time to do that, nor is it a good idea for them to do so...

Who makes up the committee? Is it faculty interviewers or completely independent faculty?

Who makes up the committee? Is it faculty interviewers or completely independent faculty?
I've always been under the impression that it is an independent committee that looks at your whole application, including the score/notes from your faculty interviewer. I'm sure it's different at each school though. I don't think contacting your faculty interviewer would have any effect at this point.

I've always been under the impression that it is an independent committee that looks at your whole application, including the score/notes from your faculty interviewer. I'm sure it's different at each school though. I don't think contacting your faculty interviewer would have any effect at this point.

I agree. I've sent LOIs and had recommendation letters written on my behalf from my current job, and I'm not even confident that the committee will read them. Does anyone know how often the committee meets once the regular application cycle has ended (April 30th)?

Also, one of the emails I received states that the HPWL is not ranked. If that's the case, how would they determine who gets off the waiting list? Random votes?

I agree. I've sent LOIs and had recommendation letters written on my behalf from my current job, and I'm not even confident that the committee will read them. Does anyone know how often the committee meets once the regular application cycle has ended (April 30th)?

Also, one of the emails I received states that the HPWL is not ranked. If that's the case, how would they determine who gets off the waiting list? Random votes?
They meet randomly and probably less in 'rona world. Each committee runs it differently, but from what I've read, you are still attributed a score. They evaluate their needs based on who drops out. (Female Engineer gets replaced by a female engineer and such...)

Not sure how accurate this is but my theory is that each person accepted fills/fits a certain profile to comprise a diverse class. When someone withdraws maybe they try to refill that seat with someone of a similar background.

They meet randomly and probably less in 'rona world. Each committee runs it differently, but from what I've read, you are still attributed a score. They evaluate their needs based on who drops out. (Female Engineer gets replaced by a female engineer and such...)
Oh wow...

So if I'm considered a non-traditional applicant / minority, my chances are lower statistically speaking? lmao.

Oh wow...

So if I'm considered a non-traditional applicant / minority, my chances are lower statistically speaking? lmao.
Possibly, but there are really no guarantees. To put it this way, if you are a trad, there are most likely more trads on the waitlist. While there are more spots, it does not mean there is a higher chance if that makes sense.

im shocked nobody on here has reported an A off the WL. statistically speaking, you would find at least someone on this site to report an A. we only have second hand info. there were multiple people that reported an A off the WL in previous years.

so for whatever reason ('rona or already large class size), they have not accepted as many people off the WL this year.

im confused

im shocked nobody on here has reported an A off the WL. statistically speaking, you would find at least someone on this site to report an A. we only have second hand info. there were multiple people that reported an A off the WL in previous years.

so for whatever reason ('rona or already large class size), they have not accepted as many people off the WL this year.

im confused
Do you think the acceptances are just delayed?

im confused
It's highly unlikely that they will offer close to no acceptances off the waitlist. If it's anything like literally every year in the past, they'll offer 40+ off the waitlist. Not everyone is on SDN, but surely at least one person would have reported it by now. Since no one has, I think it is only logical to assume that they just haven't sent them out yet, or have sent out very few.

I asked Dr. Callahan if I can get a end of cycle review on what I can improve last year (after the final R in July) and heard nothing. I didn't want to press so I let it be. I don't think they have time to give us improvement tips.

I asked Dr. Callahan if I can get a end of cycle review on what I can improve last year (after the final R in July) and heard nothing. I didn't want to press so I let it be. I don't think they have time to give us improvement tips.
Gotcha! I read past threads where people did schedule calls with dean callahan about their application. She was receptive. I was just curious!

Is anyone aware if one can open a second AMCAS application with the current one still active?

I sent a LOI last week to Dean Callahan and cc'd admissions and I got a personalized response her from this morning around 11AM est, interesting to me that she responded today! but maybe they're working hard to process movement and we'll see it soon. Here's to another week of hopeful waiting...

Reactions: 2 users
I sent a LOI last week to Dean Callahan and cc'd admissions and I got a personalized response her from this morning around 11AM est, interesting to me that she responded today! but maybe they're working hard to process movement and we'll see it soon. Here's to another week of hopeful waiting...
Personalized how?

Maybe I should have sent the LOI to dr Callahan? I sent it to the admission email and never got a reply. By the way, does everyone type the letter in the email or attach it as a pdf?

Maybe I should have sent the LOI to dr Callahan? I sent it to the admission email and never got a reply. By the way, does everyone type the letter in the email or attach it as a pdf?
I've been sending LOI to the office only too. I'm not sure if it matters because I sent all my updates to Dr. Callahan last year and I'm not sure if that had a bearing or not (the updates just never showed up on my communication status). I hope either way they get and read all our updates because I sent in a new LOR after I got HPWL lol *desperate*

I've done both email and PDF. Recent LOI was as a PDF. Either way it just shows up on my communication status as "email received"

Reactions: 2 users
I keep having to remind myself it's only been one week even though I feel like I've been waiting for her call for a year

Reactions: 5 users
This whole personalized message thing got me wondering, do you think the way she responds is indicative of if you're getting of the WL?

As in, after your update, if she replies with "Wow you did an amazing job" that means she likes you, while just "Thanks" means she's not as impressed?

Also timing matters, kind of like when texting someone you like. If she replies a few minutes after does this bode well?

Or if she replies a few days after you sent the update, but in a personalized way, maybe this means she's trying to play it alpha but also does indeed have a favorable opinion of you?

(i'm joking, but still somewhat srs)

I honestly think it's a polite acknowledgement. I wouldn't read into it. She doesn't have the ultimate say – it's the committee's vote, right?