2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I honestly think it's a polite acknowledgement. I wouldn't read into it. She doesn't have the ultimate say – it's the committee's vote, right?
From what I was told, the whole committee has to vote but Dr. Callahan has a lot of sway on the direction that the committee goes in these votes, whatever that means. But that is specifically during the initial decision to accept, waitlist, reject. Waitlist movement is dependent on finding a candidate with similar scores and attributes to the student(s) that drop out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Personalized how?

This whole personalized message thing got me wondering, do you think the way she responds is indicative of if you're getting of the WL?

As in, after your update, if she replies with "Wow you did an amazing job" that means she likes you, while just "Thanks" means she's not as impressed?

Also timing matters, kind of like when texting someone you like. If she replies a few minutes after does this bode well?

Or if she replies a few days after you sent the update, but in a personalized way, maybe this means she's trying to play it alpha but also does indeed have a favorable opinion of you?

(i'm joking, but still somewhat srs)

Personalized only in that she typed out my name but nothing else. "Thanks very much for your email, applicant name." However my name is pretty unique so I'm thinking even if she just recognizes my name from the email when they're reviewing applicants it could help so to those wondering if they should or not I say just do it - it can't hurt!

As for the reply type/timing, lol I hope its true!!! She replied almost exactly 48 hours later for me but I'm sure it's not calculated.

Happy Monday everyone I hope there is good news and phone call in the future for all of us. :)

Personalized only in that she typed out my name but nothing else. "Thanks very much for your email, applicant name." However my name is pretty unique so I'm thinking even if she just recognizes my name from the email when they're reviewing applicants it could help so to those wondering if they should or not I say just do it - it can't hurt!

As for the reply type/timing, lol I hope its true!!! She replied almost exactly 48 hours later for me but I'm sure it's not calculated.

Happy Monday everyone I hope there is good news and phone call in the future for all of us. :)
Haha I got the exact same thing just with my #insertnamehere. Yeah hopefully some name recognition might happen, at least we know that they’ve received it and that the dean herself has seen it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question for those who may know, do we apply for financial aid each year? If I don't plan on needing as much aid this year, but may need more aid next year, will I be able to adjust the aid I get next year?

For example, my significant other will be working during the next year, so our living expenses will be covered, but next year she will be starting PA school, so we'll be living off of loans.

Haha I got the exact same thing just with my #insertnamehere. Yeah hopefully some name recognition might happen, at least we know that they’ve received it and that the dean herself has seen it!

I got the same reply months ago

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if anyone will actually get off the WL today...
I wonder if the WL is even real...

/s but also I'm kinda convinced we live in a simulation at this point so anything goes

Last edited:
  • Haha
I wonder if the WL is even real...

s/ but also I'm kinda convinced we live in a simulation at this point so anything goes
The WL is real, however it seems like they put everyone who isn't accepted post-interview on the WL, which doesn't make it very special.

• Sad
The end of this week will mark two weeks, which means that people accepted off the WL will have to make their decision. I bet there will be movement at some point this week!!!

• Love
It's kinda unbelievable that NONE of people active on SDN has got a call from Dr. Callahan :uhno:

The end of this week will mark two weeks, which means that people accepted off the WL will have to make their decision. I bet there will be movement at some point this week!!!
Is that the rule? WL acceptancees have to make a decision within 2 weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe so! Traffic rules dictate up to two weeks!
AAMC site says 5 days:

AAMC site.png

Also, some interesting tidbits from an article I came across from a few years ago:

"A key benefit of the waitlist is that it allows admissions committees to gauge applicant interest. If a medical school blindly accepted qualified applicants, then a large portion of the accepted applicants may not attend and the medical school’s “yield” (#matriculating students divided by the #accepted) would decrease, thereby worsening the school’s ranking. Waitlisted students that desire admission can show interest via various updates. This allows schools to accept the most qualified applicants that are the most likely to attend, improving yield while also matriculating the most qualified and passionate class possible. The waitlist is also beneficial because it provides the opportunity for students “on the line” between acceptance and rejection with time to strengthen their application.

Lastly, schools sometimes use waitlists as a softer way to let down rejected applicants. Evidence for this is that in some cases zero students are accepted from the waitlist. Indeed, it is rare for a student that interviews at a medical school to be outright rejected post-interview. These facts, plus the knowledge that some schools, some years, pull a large number of students off the waitlist makes evaluating the chance of gaining acceptance from the waitlist unpredictable. All of this is to say that med-school hopefuls must be prepared to be waitlisted at at least some of their schools. Indeed, in 2015-2016 the average number of schools applied to by each applicant was 12, yet the average acceptance rate was well below 10%.

Now that we have established why the waitlist is beneficial to medical schools, let's examine it from the applicant perspective. How does this frustrating process of high-stakes, drawn-out waiting with no guarantees impact applicants? Does this process help applicants develop patience as a virtue? Furthermore, does patience aid students who do matriculate in medical training and their future careers? And lastly, is there a more humane way to teach physicians in training patience?

One possible benefit is that the waiting process may make matriculated students more grateful for the spot they receive, subsequently motivating students to learn and view the rigors of a life in medicine as a gift. This outlook could be advantageous for students embarking on an arduous training process, followed by a demanding career. Moreover, perhaps such a process necessarily selects applicants with the dedication and perseverance to endure these waiting periods.

Further, patience is a crucial quality for time-pressed practicing physicians, as it is undoubtedly needed navigating the day-to-day complexities of the healthcare system. Patience becomes even more important interacting with patients, especially those experiencing hardships. These situations demand patient compassion: taking the time to listen, providing additional explanations, and giving patients the time to process their situations. In this way, patience becomes central to providing proper patient care and fostering intimacy in the doctor-patient relationship."

Reactions: 1 user
Also, some interesting tidbits from an article I came across from a few years ago:

"A key benefit of the waitlist is that it allows admissions committees to gauge applicant interest. If a medical school blindly accepted qualified applicants, then a large portion of the accepted applicants may not attend and the medical school’s “yield” (#matriculating students divided by the #accepted) would decrease, thereby worsening the school’s ranking. Waitlisted students that desire admission can show interest via various updates. This allows schools to accept the most qualified applicants that are the most likely to attend, improving yield while also matriculating the most qualified and passionate class possible. The waitlist is also beneficial because it provides the opportunity for students “on the line” between acceptance and rejection with time to strengthen their application.

Lastly, schools sometimes use waitlists as a softer way to let down rejected applicants. Evidence for this is that in some cases zero students are accepted from the waitlist. Indeed, it is rare for a student that interviews at a medical school to be outright rejected post-interview. These facts, plus the knowledge that some schools, some years, pull a large number of students off the waitlist makes evaluating the chance of gaining acceptance from the waitlist unpredictable. All of this is to say that med-school hopefuls must be prepared to be waitlisted at at least some of their schools. Indeed, in 2015-2016 the average number of schools applied to by each applicant was 12, yet the average acceptance rate was well below 10%.

Now that we have established why the waitlist is beneficial to medical schools, let's examine it from the applicant perspective. How does this frustrating process of high-stakes, drawn-out waiting with no guarantees impact applicants? Does this process help applicants develop patience as a virtue? Furthermore, does patience aid students who do matriculate in medical training and their future careers? And lastly, is there a more humane way to teach physicians in training patience?

One possible benefit is that the waiting process may make matriculated students more grateful for the spot they receive, subsequently motivating students to learn and view the rigors of a life in medicine as a gift. This outlook could be advantageous for students embarking on an arduous training process, followed by a demanding career. Moreover, perhaps such a process necessarily selects applicants with the dedication and perseverance to endure these waiting periods.

Further, patience is a crucial quality for time-pressed practicing physicians, as it is undoubtedly needed navigating the day-to-day complexities of the healthcare system. Patience becomes even more important interacting with patients, especially those experiencing hardships. These situations demand patient compassion: taking the time to listen, providing additional explanations, and giving patients the time to process their situations. In this way, patience becomes central to providing proper patient care and fostering intimacy in the doctor-patient relationship."
anyone else find it ironic that the author of this article was a SKMC student?

• Haha
anyone else find it ironic that the author of this article was a SKMC student?
LOL. He was probably traumatized by his experience with it that he needed to write about it for full catharsis. Truly helping the next generation out.

would anyone be willing to call and ask? theyll prob just give a vague answer but maybe theyll give some insight. i would but as i posted before i called last week so i dont want to be blacklisted lol

I send a LOI last week on friday (the 8th) and got a response on sunday, but I was thinking about calling this friday to just check up and see what the movement has been like. I don't want to overwhelm the admissions staff with emails and calls but I am also so desperate for any sign of movement. I will update you all what I hear when I call!

Edit: I am on another WL and have one A with a CTE date before Jeff's CTE date so I *think* it would benefit me to call and ask. I know schools want to accept the students who are more likely to matriculate which is why showing continued interest is good, plus maybe if they know they're my top but I only have until my other schools CTE to wait for them it can accelerate the process. It's all speculation though...I read on the Waitlist Support 2020 thread that someone who called to ask had their continued interest noted in their file and was accepted to that school! At this point if it doesn't harm then I don't see why not to, even if it may have no actual benefit other than peace of mind.

Last edited:
would anyone be willing to call and ask? theyll prob just give a vague answer but maybe theyll give some insight. i would but as i posted before i called last week so i dont want to be blacklisted lol
Are you waiting on other school WLs or have given your acceptance to a school already? If not, aside from alleviating the discomfort in waiting, there is really no benefit to calling and asking.

Here is a list of CTE dates, they are clearly not entirely accurate as SKMC is listed as 7/1 but the website says 6/29, but it's interesting to see the difference between schools.

SKMC orientation is July 20 this year so june 29th is 21 days prior to that.

I send a LOI last week on friday (the 8th) and got a response on sunday, but I was thinking about calling this friday to just check up and see what the movement has been like. I don't want to overwhelm the admissions staff with emails and calls but I am also so desperate for any sign of movement. I will update you all what I hear when I call!

Edit: I am on another WL and have one A with a CTE date before Jeff's CTE date so I *think* it would benefit me to call and ask. I know schools want to accept the students who are more likely to matriculate which is why showing continued interest is good, plus maybe if they know they're my top but I only have until my other schools CTE to wait for them it can accelerate the process. It's all speculation though...I read on the Waitlist Support 2020 thread that someone who called to ask had their continued interest noted in their file and was accepted to that school! At this point if it doesn't harm then I don't see why not to, even if it may have no actual benefit other than peace of mind.
Are you waiting on other school WLs or have given your acceptance to a school already? If not, aside from alleviating the discomfort in waiting, there is really no benefit to calling and asking.

Thanks guys! Yes I also have PTE’d at another school with a sooner CTE date. I definitely agree there is a balance between not unnecessarily annoying them (which is why I won’t call again lol) but at the same time recognizing that they are used these types of questions knowing they’re part of the process

Here is a list of CTE dates, they are clearly not entirely accurate as SKMC is listed as 7/1 but the website says 6/29, but it's interesting to see the difference between schools.

SKMC orientation is July 20 this year so june 29th is 21 days prior to that.
Oh wow! Thanks for linking this. After reviewing the list and dates, shouldn't we expect waiting through May/June?

Hey guys! Anyone know what’s going on? Only one person has posted on here regarding an acceptance, and while I’m sure they’ve accepted other people as well I’m just wondering how many or how few. Has anyone heard anything?

Hey guys! Anyone know what’s going on? Only one person has posted on here regarding an acceptance, and while I’m sure they’ve accepted other people as well I’m just wondering how many or how few. Has anyone heard anything?
No, unfortunately.

Got bored this morning and combed through the '24 FB group and did some fb stalking of the recent members.

I saw about 4 students who joined the group each on either 5/5 or 5/6 and appear to be new students/admitted applicants. Can't say for certain they weren't previously accepted and joined the group late.

Don't mean to sound any alarm bells or increase the anxiety of those on WL but thought I could give you guys some info since this thread has been quiet with WL movement.

Best of luck to us all and I bet there will be more movement soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Got bored this morning and combed through the '24 FB group and did some fb stalking of the recent members.

I saw about 4 students who joined the group each on either 5/5 or 5/6 and appear to be new students/admitted applicants. Can't say for certain they weren't previously accepted and joined the group late.

Don't mean to sound any alarm bells or increase the anxiety of those on WL but thought I could give you guys some info since this thread has been quiet with WL movement.

Best of luck to us all and I bet there will be more movement soon!

To add to this there has been some movement in the groupme as well and still only 170 people in there total so thats missing almost ~1/3 of the class. Not perfect representation but there have been some drop outs, as well as additions.

I got in touch with Dr. Callahan earlier this week. She said there hasn't been waitlist movement (so do not worry!) even though the April 30 date has passed. Jefferson's CTE date is so much later that things are still unfolding. Not sure how this compares to other institutions, but I was relieved to hear this. I hope it can bring solace to you all as well!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I got in touch with Dr. Callahan earlier this week. She said there hasn't been waitlist movement (so do not worry!) even though the April 30 date has passed. Jefferson's CTE date is so much later that things are still unfolding. Not sure how this compares to other institutions, but I was relieved to hear this. I hope it can bring solace to you all as well!
SDN MVP <3

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Appreciate this Mm1mm! Did she seem to say WL movement is happening in the future, or is the class pretty much full?

Omg I’ve been so stressed today and just having some knowledge is such a relief! THANK UUUU

Why were some people taken off the waitlist on May 1st, if that's the case?

Why were some people taken off the waitlist on May 1st, if that's the case?
It seems like she was implying that movement has not been significant and that there’s more to come! She probably would have said the class was almost full if there wasn’t going to be movement.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
It seems like she was implying that movement has not been significant and that there’s more to come! She probably would have said the class was almost full if there wasn’t going to be movement.
Ya'll are really banking on the glass half full at this point, I love it.

• Love
Appreciate this Mm1mm! Did she seem to say WL movement is happening in the future, or is the class pretty much full?
That WL movement is happening! It just hasn't happened yet.

Regarding people getting off the WL on May 1st, I had only seen one person post that on this forum, so I didn't think I knew enough to ask her about it. She was also offering encouraging news, so I'm hopeful now!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Regarding people getting off the WL on May 1st, I had only seen one person post that on this forum, so I didn't think I knew enough to ask her about it. She was also offering encouraging news, so I'm hopeful now!

What kind of encouraging news if you don't mind? Thanks for the info!!!

@Mm1mm I'll be filing an official FOIA request for the transcript of that phone call. So thirsty for information (and SOO grateful to you for sharing!)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Was the encouraging news that WL movement is happening?

None of the above really seems consistent. People were taken off the WL 1.5 wks ago, meaning the WL movement is happening. However, Dr. Callahan said it hasn't started yet? Or rather that it is slow and that there is more to come..