2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right, that's what makes me think they might take a fewer amount of WL this year.

Covid is having an awfully negative effect on hospital systems, which would likely mean budget cuts or lay offs, which makes me think they're staying on the safe side and keeping class low at this point..
Is this just speculation? Maybe I'm missing something but reducing the class size would mean losing a LOT of tuition money as well...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this just speculation? Maybe I'm missing something but reducing the class size would mean losing a LOT of tuition money as well...
Honestly, this is 100% speculation. I don't think there is any evidence to support this.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it was only abut the $, medical schools would have A LOT more admitted students. There is a reason that med schools aren't accepting more students to meet the demands of the MD shortage in the US, even with the incentive of $70K/year per student.

If it was only abut the $, medical schools would have A LOT more admitted students. There is a reason that med schools aren't accepting more students to meet the demands of the MD shortage in the US, even with the incentive of $70K/year per student.
Med schools of have a quota because of residency spots. Until the government increases residency spots size (particularly for specialties such as ortho/derm etc...) med schools cannot increase their spots. It's the state that defines it, at least for public institutions. I am guessing that WL movement will happen in the next two weeks. Very infrequently does it happen after June 1st if you look at past trends. Maybe 1 or 2 trickle in but the bulk of WL movement is before June 1st for most schools including Jeff.

the cap is regulated by the feds who fund residencies, but you better believe they want as much tuition $$$ as they can get since they are already loosing so much money within the hospital systems, investments, etc.

sigh im just so confused what they are waiting for if they have so many vacant spots to fill? i guess it could be covid delays but this seems pretty late into may to start... am i missing something?

I just received an e-mail from Dean Callahan after reaching out to her. Here is exactly what she said, “ Even though applicants were supposed to give up all but one accept on April 30, they did not have to commit to enroll with us, so we are still sitting on a lot of accepts, not knowing whether they are going to come or not. As a result, we have not yet gone to our waitlist and it is unclear when we will.”

From this e-mail it seems clear that it has more to do with CTE and that we won’t be hearing until June, if we hear at all. This is just to double down on everything we’ve heard so far!

I just received an e-mail from Dean Callahan after reaching out to her. Here is exactly what she said, “ Even though applicants were supposed to give up all but one accept on April 30, they did not have to commit to enroll with us, so we are still sitting on a lot of accepts, not knowing whether they are going to come or not. As a result, we have not yet gone to our waitlist and it is unclear when we will.”

From this e-mail it seems clear that it has more to do with CTE and that we won’t be hearing until June. This is just to double down on everything we’ve heard so far!

thank you so much for this. it just seems weird with PTE + CTE = 219 (according to above) wouldnt they atleast be filling in that gap? and if everyone is just waiting for the last minute to CTE because they are on waitlists w other applicants doing the same thing idk where the waitlist movement is gona come from

Reactions: 1 user

From this e-mail it seems clear that it has more to do with CTE and that we won’t be hearing until June, if we hear at all. This is just to double down on everything we’ve heard so far!

I guess it means number of PTE is larger than the class size, so they haven’t gone to the waitlist yet. I really hope we don’t have to wait till July to hear back...hoping for the best

And maybe I'm wrong about this but, it sounds like we're depending on schools with earlier CTE's to pull from their waitlists after their respective CTE dates in order for there to even be a possibility that SKMC's waitlist will move.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any other way waitlists could move at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it means number of PTE is larger than the class size, so they haven’t gone to the waitlist yet. I really hope we don’t have to wait till July to hear back...hoping for the best
This still doesn't make sense to me. Apparently, based on the email that people who are PTE + CTE got this morning, the number of PTE + CTE is 219, right? So like how can the PTE number is more than 270 at the moment? If this is the case shouldn't the school send that email to more than 219 people?

This still doesn't make sense to me. Apparently, based on the email that people who are PTE + CTE got this morning, the number of PTE + CTE is 219, right? So like how can the PTE number is more than 270 at the moment? If this is the case shouldn't the school send that email to more than 219 people?
But there are joint programs that may not be included in that number. We can’t be sure that’s the right number! This came straight dean callahan, so im inclined to trust what she said.

I think that email isn't accurate. The dean basically just said that the class is full. Until the CTE deadline or people with other WL acceptances withdraw from Jeff.

I think that email isn't accurate. The dean basically just said that the class is full. Until the CTE deadline or people with other WL acceptances withdraw from Jeff.

Last year they took about 40 people off the waitlist and said they had a higher yield than expected, and it was considered a year they did not use the waitlist as much as others. So, they pretty much plan to use it.

They have approx 220 A’s out there right now. If all of those CTE (this would be high yield) this means they would plan to use 50 waitlist spots (similar to last year).

I think waiting it out more allows them to fill the seats more strategically as a whole so that they can “balance the class” whatever that means for them, instead of just filling the seats one by one.

Each school has its own system and this is consistent with 40 people off the waitlist last year being “less than usual.”

Last year they took about 40 people off the waitlist and said they had a higher yield than expected, and it was considered a year they did not use the waitlist as much as others. So, they pretty much plan to use it.

They have approx 220 A’s out there right now. If all of those CTE (this would be high yield) this means they would plan to use 50 waitlist spots (similar to last year).

I think waiting it out more allows them to fill the seats more strategically as a whole so that they can “balance the class” whatever that means for them, instead of just filling the seats one by one.

Each school has its own system and this is consistent with 40 people off the waitlist last year being “less than usual.”
How do you know they took 40 last year ?

Right. I was told the exactly same thing.

Would the committee keep someone on the WL even if they had no real interest in accepting them?

A person posted the dean's response. She basically said it was full because they don't know if those who are PTEd are 100% attending or not but for now they have to act as if they are.

They have to have enough seats to fill the class, if not they are breaking AAMC policy. As of March 15th, they have to have given out enough A's to fill the class. Thus, even if they had at that time, and people since dropped, they would've accepted more between 3/15 and 4/30 to fill the class.

They have to have enough seats to fill the class, if not they are breaking AAMC policy. As of March 15th, they have to have given out enough A's to fill the class. Thus, even if they had at that time, and people since dropped, they would've accepted more between 3/15 and 4/30 to fill the class.

No. AAMC rules say that they need to issue that number of acceptances (270) not have that number yielding after April 30. Schools cannot predict that down to a tee and the risk of over enrolling would be way too high. They could have given 270+ by March 15th, and after April 30 passed they are at 210, hence waiting to get a better idea from these 210 so they can fill the seats “holistically” whatever that looks like for them

No. AAMC rules say that they need to issue that number of acceptances (270) not have that number yielding after April 30. Schools cannot predict that down to a tee and the risk of over enrolling would be way too high. They could have given 270+ by March 15th, and after April 30 passed they are at 210, hence waiting to get a better idea from these 210 so they can fill the seats “holistically” whatever that looks like for them
How many students, on average, per year are accepted from the "special programs"?

What
What I am saying is that say on April 29th they had a yield of 240 PTE-CTE, and then on April 30th, they suddenly only had 215 spots, and the rest withdrew and the school notified AAMC within the 24 hour guidelines, then they need to add 25 acceptances to fill their class. Because if all those people withdrew, the acceptances & yield still does not = the class size. I know of 3 schools I interviewed at that explained this exact situation. I am sure Jeff is the same. Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers

Especially if they follow the protocols.

Also not trying to argue with you or others, but I had 3 schools be VERY transparent this cycle about admissions processes and I was so grateful for that but it helped understand the process more and this is more likely scenario. Especially if the dean in the email to that other student said that right now they had people PTE+CTE and didn't know when waitlist would move suggests the class is currently full as is. They would not be waiting to accept 40 students if they truly had 40 seats open right now because 1) more students schools CTE deadlines are approaching and they would potentially lose these desired applicants 2) people are angsty and want to start planning their moves/lives especially as the current pandemic so again could lose these desired applicants and 3) Jeff starts in July and needs pre-matriculation forms submitted on earlier side.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Also not trying to argue with you or others, but I had 3 schools be VERY transparent this cycle about admissions processes and I was so grateful for that but it helped understand the process more and this is more likely scenario. Especially if the dean in the email to that other student said that right now they had people PTE+CTE and didn't know when waitlist would move suggests the class is currently full as is. They would not be waiting to accept 40 students if they truly had 40 seats open right now because 1) more students schools CTE deadlines are approaching and they would potentially lose these desired applicants 2) people are angsty and want to start planning their moves/lives especially as the current pandemic so again could lose these desired applicants and 3) Jeff starts in July and needs pre-matriculation forms submitted on earlier side.
I agree that they would not wait to accept students if they knew they had spots open. Yeah it sounds like the class is full. I hope they didn’t accept too many. What would happen in that scenario?

Thanks! Can you explain the first post? I‘m just a little confused and think I’m missing something
Schools have to report admission decisions within 24 hours of it happening (Accept/WL/Withdraw/Reject). Thus, for example if they had offered 300 seats prior to April 30th, and after April 30th, 60 of those withdrew their acceptance, then Jeff would have to tell the AAMC that now they technically only have 240 ACTIVE acceptances. These people don't have to have committed, but they only have 240 active acceptances. Thus, it is much more likely that they would have to now offer 30 NEW acceptances off the WL to fill their class and follow AAMC protocols. If you go to a school like Temples, they have had movement, which means that they had spots to fill. While if you go to a school like Miami, the dean has explicitly told students they have had much less withdrawals than expected and have no idea when movement will happen because right now as is the class is assumed full.

What

What I am saying is that say on April 29th they had a yield of 240 PTE-CTE, and then on April 30th, they suddenly only had 215 spots, and the rest withdrew and the school notified AAMC within the 24 hour guidelines, then they need to add 25 acceptances to fill their class. Because if all those people withdrew, the acceptances & yield still does not = the class size. I know of 3 schools I interviewed at that explained this exact situation. I am sure Jeff is the same. Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers

Especially if they follow the protocols.

Thanks! Can you explain your first post a little bit more? I’m just a little confused and think I’m missing something. I definitely was thrown off on them saying that only taking 40 from the waitlist last year was a low number for them, but this year is anything but normal with everything going on

Schools have to report admission decisions within 24 hours of it happening (Accept/WL/Withdraw/Reject). Thus, for example if they had offered 300 seats prior to April 30th, and after April 30th, 60 of those withdrew their acceptance, then Jeff would have to tell the AAMC that now they technically only have 240 ACTIVE acceptances. These people don't have to have committed, but they only have 240 active acceptances. Thus, it is much more likely that they would have to now offer 30 NEW acceptances off the WL to fill their class and follow AAMC protocols. If you go to a school like Temples, they have had movement, which means that they had spots to fill. While if you go to a school like Miami, the dean has explicitly told students they have had much less withdrawals than expected and have no idea when movement will happen because right now as is the class is assumed full.

Thanks! I didn’t realize about the acceptances needing to be *active.* Is this on the AAMC page somewhere or just something one of the schools told you? I hope they didn’t over enroll...

Thanks! Can you explain your first post a little bit more? I’m just a little confused and think I’m missing something. I definitely was thrown off on them saying that only taking 40 from the waitlist last year was a low number for them, but this year is anything but normal with everything going on
Also, my guess from what I have heard from other schools is that COVID isn't affecting the way their WL movement happens (i.e. they can still meet virtually and discuss etc...) however, it seems as if their trends of people withdrawing from their school are different than previous years. I don't know whether that is simply attributed to this year's applicant pool (i.e. people got WL to their top choices and are holding out hope) or something else. No one will truly know.

A school explained in a lot of detail what each date meant for the applicant and for the school. They explained that at all times, starting March 15th, a school has to have a class size filled i.e. people have put a deposit and have not withdrawn their acceptance. It is possible they over accepted! A lot of the schools I interviewed at told us they are running a conservative admissions process as to not over enroll,i.e. at all times they only accept how many seats they have open, however, I have no idea what Jeff did or is doing.

Interesting, I thought someone posted here in the beginning like 16 ppl got off of WL for last year?

Maybe that was the number of people who got off WL who posted on sdn? I heard 40, but correct me if I’m wrong, either way I promise I’m not trying to mislead anyone I’m in the same boat of anxiety as all of you. 16 would make more sense honestly and be more in line with what appears to be going on now...

For everyone on WL, Jeff just sent an email with instructions for the readiness assessment and summer readings to the matriculating students and we can see it was sent to 219 students. Looks like they still have 21 seats left then to fill to reach 240
I wonder if this sent to students who officially committed or those who for PTE?
Jeff doesn't discriminate between the two. I've been PTE since February and I'm on two other waitlists and Jeff is treating me like I'm coming. It was sent to our Jeff emails as well

I’m still thrown by this too? Oh well. Patience and deep breaths..

Honestly, I'm kind of thrown off by everything. I was hopeful about being on WL this year since Jeff cancelled the last week of interview. What a strange cycle (and I thought last cycle was bad!). Still hoping for some movement by the end of the month :( I want at least one of us from SDN to get in!

Reactions: 4 users
looks like we're reapplying ya'll!
badvibes.gif

I'm sensing a trend..

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I'm aggravated AF. I burned out making it through premed at my Ivy, have 3+ years of research and publications, was awarded a national medical scholarship one year post college, and it apparently still isn't good enough. The system is wrecked.
What are your stats?

What are your stats?
MCAT was 508.. that is the only thing I could see as the determining factor. I volunteered, scribed, worked in arguably some of the most reputable labs in the country, but hey its about stats and I get that. I just do not want to have to retake this test.

MCAT was 508.. that is the only thing I could see as the determining factor. I volunteered, scribed, worked in arguably some of the most reputable labs in the country, but hey its about stats and I get that. I just do not want to have to retake this test.
Yeah you should retake considering that MCAT matriculant average is 512 now. Research fluff in an app won't get you through the numbers screen, especially if you're re-applying

Yeah you should retake considering that MCAT matriculant average is 512 now. Research fluff in an app won't get you through the numbers screen, especially if you're re-applying
Fluff?

Also, I already made it through the screen. Im HPWL.

Fluff?

Also, I already made it through the screen. Im HPWL.
I'm not trying to argue with you but rather trying to help after seeing your close following of this forum, but you have zero acceptances, no? Yeah, research and awards won't get you an interview or into medical school (there's data on this, ask @Goro), high MCAT and GPA will. Your MCAT is very low for Jefferson (below 10th percentile) and most MDs unless you have an in-state school that gives you preference. You should take a year off, retake MCAT, and then reapply. Look through these forums for advice, but reapplying now without any change to your MCAT is shooting yourself in the foot as reapplicants are automatically at a disadvantage already

I'm not trying to argue with you but rather trying to help after seeing your close following of this forum, but you have zero acceptances, no? Yeah, research and awards won't get you an interview or into medical school (there's data on this, ask @Goro), high MCAT and GPA will. Your MCAT is very low for Jefferson (below 10th percentile) and most MDs unless you have an in-state school that gives you preference. You should take a year off, retake MCAT, and then reapply. Look through these forums for advice, but reapplying now without any change to your MCAT is shooting yourself in the foot as reapplicants are automatically at a disadvantage already
Are you on the HPWL or accepted?

It’s not all about stats. I have same Mcat and have 5 A one from a top 30 and an an ORM female. A lot is also about writing and how you sell yourself. People don’t realize how important your essays/LOR are

It’s not all about stats. I have same Mcat and have 5 A one from a top 30 and an an ORM female. A lot is also about writing and how you sell yourself. People don’t realize how important your essays/LOR are
Yeah I do worry about sentiment like the above.

I have a very similar, if not same, likelihood of acceptance at SKMC as @mdapplicant2024, given the fact we are in the same position at the moment. That is, if they are on the HPWL.

I only applied to about 12 schools. Everyone's story is different.