2019-2020 Stony Brook

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Being an oos'er, can anyone speak to the reputation of stony brook in New York? Is it comparable with schools like Einstein, Rochester, and Hofstra?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Being an oos'er, can anyone speak to the reputation of stony brook in New York? Is it comparable with schools like Einstein, Rochester, and Hofstra?


Number-wise, it would probably be something like Rochester/Einstein > Stony Brook > Hofstra.

Overall they're all excellent schools and at those levels, the reputation differences probably wouldn't matter as much as the geographical differences (associated hospitals and the like).

If you mean as in personal reputation, most laymen people only know and speak for undergraduate colleges. Stony Brook is known as the big premed state school in NY. Anyone from Long Island or NYC would most likely have heard of it and it has a great reputation.

It's very popular for NYers as it's probably the highest regarded NY state med school so you get a mix of the reputation and lower tuition. Though some people don't want to live way outs on Long Island, which is why Downstate in Brooklyn is very popular.
 
Last edited:
Number-wise, it would probably be something like Rochester/Einstein > Stony Brook > Hofstra.

Overall they're all excellent schools and at those levels, the reputation differences probably wouldn't matter as much as the geographical differences (associated hospitals and the like).

If you mean as in personal reputation, most laymen people only know and speak for undergraduate colleges. Stony Brook is known as the big premed state school in NY. Anyone from Long Island or NYC would most likely have heard of it and it has a great reputation.

It's very popular for NYers as it's probably the highest regarded NY state med school so you get a mix of the reputation and lower tuition, outside of wanting to live in NYC which then would go to Downstate.
Thanks for the write up! I meant more like it's reputation for residency PDs than laymen, couldn't care less about that haha. Would you say that it's fair to state that attending SBU would not close any doors?
 
Thanks for the write up! I meant more like it's reputation for residency PDs than laymen, couldn't care less about that haha. Would you say that it's fair to state that attending SBU would not close any doors?
I had a lot of friends go to Stony Brook who ended up matching into competitive specialties and programs across the US.

I think with their published match list you will see a lot of people matching to Long Island hospitals, but this is typical for most med schools. Probably a mix of 1) a lot of Long Islanders go to Stony Brook and wish to stay 2) regional reputation makes matching easier. Either way, it certainly wouldn't close any doors.

Reputation isn't the biggest factor, and in this case, the only schools where maybe you could get an edge based off the school itself would be Top 20 or maybe a school that's located in the region you'd want to match. Overall, the school you're a best fit for that can allow you to perform optimally will help you achieve your match goals best. Though I'm also not an expert on this subject whatsoever, I just know what I hear from my undergrad friends who are now residents.
 
Any current students, or people that understand how the curriculum works with the pass/fail in the first two years. Heard something about it changing to H/P/F halfway through.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for late reply but I interviewed 10/17 and heard back 11/6. 13 day turnaround!
Oh man, that's really making me feel nervous since I interviewed the same day and haven't heard back after 6 weeks. Seems like those who get accepted are hearing back very soon, seeing as I have barely seen any post interview rejections or waitlists for IS...
 
Oh man, that's really making me feel nervous since I interviewed the same day and haven't heard back after 6 weeks. Seems like those who get accepted are hearing back very soon, seeing as I have barely seen any post interview rejections or waitlists for IS...
Yeah, I've assumed the worst. It's been 11 weeks post interview. Not a word.
 
Just a shout out to other OOS applicants who haven't heard back for weeks. I'm an OOSer who interviewed 10/4 and haven't heard back. When I called the admissions office today to inquire, they looked me up by my AMCAS ID number and told me that they haven't made a decision about my application yet.
Oh man I would be having a panic attack if I was on the phone while someone looked up my application decision
 
Just a shout out to other OOS applicants who haven't heard back for weeks. I'm an OOSer who interviewed 10/4 and haven't heard back. When I called the admissions office today to inquire, they looked me up by my AMCAS ID number and told me that they haven't made a decision about my application yet.
Good to know. Maybe they really are just all over the place when it comes to reviewing applications post interview!
 
If there are any current students on this page or people that know more, I was just curious if anyone could give some insight into how the tests usually work in the first two years here. Are they weekly tests (for example every Friday) or more cumulative towards the end of the block. If you have any insight please message me. I cannot find anything helpful online. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds good! I’m so curious about what they could be doing with our apps
I have a feeling that they have multiple rounds of review. So that's why some people got a resounding, quick acceptance, but many of us (most of us, it feels like?) are still waiting. If we take admissions at their word that they get back to us as soon as they have a decision, then many people are probably in some weird acceptance/waitlist limbo that they're trying to balance out before the holidays/new year
 
I have a feeling that they have multiple rounds of review. So that's why some people got a resounding, quick acceptance, but many of us (most of us, it feels like?) are still waiting. If we take admissions at their word that they get back to us as soon as they have a decision, then many people are probably in some weird acceptance/waitlist limbo that they're trying to balance out before the holidays/new year

That’s what I’ve been thinking. I guess it makes the most sense that they haven’t gotten back simply because they really haven’t decided what they want to do with our apps yet!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Caught myself yet another waitlist. As expected, given the ridiculously long wait.
 
Also waitlisted. Fingers crossed! Best of luck to everyone else, and congrats to any who have already been accepted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Does anyone know how competitive their 3 year program is? And is mainly for primary care or can you really pick whatever you're interested in?
 
Does anyone know how competitive their 3 year program is? And is mainly for primary care or can you really pick whatever you're interested in?
I was told by a student on the tour that you can literally pick any specialty and there are people doing competitive ones like derm and ortho. Also, all 12 people who applied got in so idk if that says anything about the difficulty of getting into the 3 year track or if those 12 are just stellar applicants. There is a whole process to being accepted tho with interviews with program directors and such.
 
I was told by a student on the tour that you can literally pick any specialty and there are people doing competitive ones like derm and ortho. Also, all 12 people who applied got in so idk if that says anything about the difficulty of getting into the 3 year track or if those 12 are just stellar applicants. There is a whole process to being accepted tho with interviews with program directors and such.
Whaaa. All 12 got in? Ok that program is a game changer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HPV